Boneyard poll question: do you want the UConn-Tenn series continued? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Boneyard poll question: do you want the UConn-Tenn series continued?

Do you want to see the UConn - Tennessee series played and or continued?

• Yes

Votes: 142 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 48 22.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 23 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
To me, this is a no-brainer. What this particular game lacked in artistry it more than made up for in electricity. It was exciting in ways, IMHO, a UConn game has not been for a long time. There's also a great charity to play for, an opportunity for UConn to make wonderful gestures (like donating the black uniforms to be auctioned off for the Foundation, etc), and over time, a chance to bring the rivalry back all the way. I vote yes, absolutely.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In 2007 Pat said 'this is over' for whatever reason - disease or misplaced rancor or both. In reviewing the rivalry leading up to this game a number of outlets said Pat cancelled over concerns about UConn recruiting practices, not alleged practices. This perpetuates and some say validates the nonsense directed at Geno back in the day.

This is reason enough for me to say fulfill the "Back Pat" 2 game commitment and that is it. The OOC game numbers are shrinking with joining the Big East. There are better ways to spend them than Tennessee. Maybe in the future they will be a valuable OOC game. Let them find someone else for now to do a home and home "we back Pat."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
re: Jerseys

Can we please do away with black, grey and pink uniforms? School's colors are White and National Flag Blue. Call me old fashioned (some traditions are worth preserving). White at home, blue on the road.
They were a one game thing and the unis will be auctioned off for charirt

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I started to vote 'Not Sure' but changed it to 'No'.
The hype is just that. Current college players were under 10 years old when TN/Uconn meant anything so few probably lived the history. The important games in WCBB do not include TN any more - it has been 11 years since they went to a FF.

I think hyping this 'rivalry' diminishes WCBB as a sport and turns it into a human interest story.

Uconn/ND, Uconn/Baylor, Uconn/SC and even Uconn/Stanford or Uconn/Louisville are more interesting games in terms of good teams, good coaches, and important results.

Reaction Score
I say continue as long as they are on the upswing. No reason to schedule the game if they don't pose a challenge, but I think this game showed that they do, so it is worthwhile to play them. I'd like to see Tenneessee, South Carolina, and Mississippi State on the schedule every year, and add ND, Baylor, and a couple of Pac12 teams to round out the out of conference schedule. Every top team should be scheduling this way.

Reaction Score
I ditto what tomcat said. Many upsides to keep scheduling the game. Raising monies
for this dreadful disease is simply Wonderful.
I think we all know someone who’s passed from dementia related diseases. Sad indeed
and hopefully there will be new treatments soon. Keep scheduling this game Geno and Kellie!

Reaction Score
In 2007 Pat said 'this is over' for whatever reason - disease or misplaced rancor or both. In reviewing the rivalry leading up to this game a number of outlets said Pat cancelled over concerns about UConn recruiting practices, not alleged practices. This perpetuates and some say validates the nonsense directed at Geno back in the day.

This is reason enough for me to say fulfill the "Back Pat" 2 game commitment and that is it. The OOC game numbers are shrinking with joining the Big East. There are better ways to spend them than Tennessee. Maybe in the future they will be a valuable OOC game. Let them find someone else for now to do a home and home "we back Pat."
Good point about less OCC games as part of Big East. Agree that there are several other top teams that we should schedule before TN.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Many, perhaps most, of those who want tne rivalry restored are "of a certain age", and therefore do not represent the future fandom for WCBB. Count me as one of those on the downward glidepath.

If we want to maintain and promote heated, yet somewhat civil, rivalries, there are Louisville, South Carolina, DePaul, and ND, among others who have earned respect through long-term high level play. Add in three or four West Coast programs, Mississippi State, Maryland, Baylor and even Texas to round out a top notch OOC schedule. We don't need TN and their lying, vitriolic fanbase.

Kellie Harper seems like a good sort, and I've nothing against the UT players, but their admin. and fans are (expletives deleted). Why should we help them and their recruiting by giving them national exposure?

We can play in tournaments to support Pat's foundation. I support that heartily.
Just don't include the ones who revel in calling our guy "gino", demean Maya and her Mom, trash everything about the state of Connecticut, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno didn’t want to play Tenn. ESPN really wanted this game to be scheculed. Geno is a softie for charities and while the Vol fans continue to hAte Geno. For no particular reason, just like to hate.
I don’t think Geno will renew playing them again after next year. I must say that Geno was very emotional talking about Pat at the news conference after the game. I was very surprised.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Many, perhaps most, of those who want tne rivalry restored are "of a certain age", and therefore do not represent the future fandom for WCBB. Count me as one of those of the downward glidepath.

If we want to maintain and promote heated, yet somewhat civil, rivalries, there are Louisville, South Carolina, DePaul, and ND, among others who have earned respect through long-term high level play. Add in ree or four West Coast programs, Mississippi State, Maryland, Baylor and even Texas to round out a top notch OOC schedule. We don't need TN and their lying, vitriolic fanbase.

Kellie Harper seems like a good sort, and I,ve nothing against the UT players, but their admin. and fans are (xpletices deleted). Why should we help them and their recruiting by giving them national exposure?

We can play in tournaments to support Pat's foundation. I support that heartily.
Just don't include the ones who revel in calling our guy "gino", demean Maya and her Mom, trash everything about the state of Conneticut, etc.
+1000

As Geno said, this game was really just a nostalgia trip. It's like going to see a classic rock band whose members are all in their 60s and 70s.

If the goal is to raise money for charity, that can be accomplished through any number of high-profile games. ESPN just needs to promote those games as much as they promoted this "revival" game.

Reaction Score
The willingness of UCONN fans to denigrate Tennessee women's basketball is hard to understand. Although it is true that over the past several years UCONN has a much better record than Tennessee, Tennessee has a new and capable coach who, along with Geno, seeks to tamp down the recriminatory nonsense that has fed the rage of fanatics on both sides. Beyond that, the game was both exciting and an example of mediocre women's basketball. Give Tennessee a competent point guard who can control the flow of Tennessee's offense and UCONN loses by double digits. And while we are at it, this "great" UCONN team has in fact beaten no team in the AP top ten. The team lost to Baylor and, if we have a reprise of how the Tennessee game was played, it may well lose to Oregon and South Carolina. While UCONN now commences its annual feast on AAC teams which are worse than mediocre, Tennessee confronts the ranked teams of the SEC. Thus, the braggadocio of UCONN fans is misplaced. In any event, there are compelling historical and emotional reasons why a UCONN - Tennessee game should become a fixture on the UCONN schedule.

Reaction Score
I've been waiting for someone else to create this poll, no one has, so I did. I'm very interested in the results and any comments you'd like to make. I will read them all.

We've all seen various news articles suggesting how the resumption of the UConn-Tennessee is good for women's college basketball.

Mike Anthony: UConn-Tennessee remains special and should be scheduled every season

That may be the opinion of some fans, the media and interested/casual on-lookers from afar. I know (read) as it has been often documented here by some long time (veteran) UConn fans that were here back in 2007 and before (and part of the NCAA inquiry) that DO NOT want to see this series resumed or continued. Others do. So, the poll question for today is (I changed it): Do YOU, a staunch UConn WBB fan, a loyal and committed Boneyard member/contributor want to see this series played and continued? Everybody has an opinion. Everyone has a vote. Please share it with us. Cast your vote now! :)
I am stunned, quite frankly, that there are fans (26% ? ) who do not want it continued. What possible reason supports that? This rivalry never should have been discontinued. It is like ending Notre Dame vs. USC in football. Or Texas vs. Oklahoma. It is a great rivalry that is based in the history of women's basketball. The intensity of the " rivalry" aspect may have changed ( 13 years of no contact ) , but Tennessee is a great women's BB program (now back on the upswing), and UCONN remains a great program. Both teams benefit from this inter divisional game. Wait until you see the response in Knoxville next season, when the Lady Huskies come to town. That, alone, will answer any lingering questions. This match-up should become etched in stone.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I am stunned, quite frankly, that there are fans (26% ? ) who do not want it continued. What possible reason supports that?
Lots of reasons have been posited and explained in this thread by those who feel that way. If you don't agree, that's fine and good. But reasons there are.

This rivalry never should have been discontinued. It is like ending Notre Dame vs. USC in football.
Just because it shouldn't have been discontinued doesn't mean it should necessarily be resumed 15 years later. Those are two separate issues. Just because you rue the day your girlfriend broke up with you in high school doesn't mean you should chase her down and propose to her decades later.

It like ending Notre Dame vs. USC in football. Or Texas vs. Oklahoma. It is was a great rivalry that is based in the history of women's basketball. The intensity of the " rivalry" aspect may have changed ( 13 years of no contact ) , but Tennessee is was a great women's BB program
Fixed that for ya. The rivalry is nostalgic. It dredges up the old animosities among those of us who were part of the rivalry in its heyday. But Tennessee is not the program it once was. They barely squeaked into the tournament as a bubble team last year -- and their fans were actually celebrating that they did. Their new coach seems like an upgrade -- but that has yet to translate to major wins on the court or recruiting trail. Other programs have obviously eclipsed Tennessee, even within its own conference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To buckarooand longtime fan. Obviously you two were not around when all the hAte was spewed toward UConn,it’s fans and the team and in particular against Geno. The filth that was posted on the Summitt by Tenn fans was disguting especially towards Geno. The complaint file against UConn and Geno and the 37 page of Boneyard posts against our fans and Tony C in particular were uneccessary. UConn should have reported the Simmit in reply although I don’t think anyone would print tha iuendo an filth.
I have nothing against the current coach or players and I wish them the best but I never want to see that team or coach on a UConn court again.

Yes I hold grudges.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You newbies who did not live through and experience the venom that some Tenn fans and their administration blow well you have no idea how bad it is. I do not wanna play Tenn ever again because of the fear of what happened and what could happen. Evina was not granted the opportunity to play this year because of the Tenn administation and thats why Geno was so upset with the NCAA and Tenn. Tenn has a new coach and new players and same administration. There was a time when the Tenn board was the Summit. Now its a pay for board?????????? Think about it. I dont wanna hear its good for the game because its not good for UConn the UConn coaches, players or fans. Those pulling the strings...well you dont want them pulling your strings

Last edited:
Reaction Score
re: Jerseys

Can we please do away with black, grey and pink uniforms? School's colors are White and National Flag Blue. Call me old fashioned (some traditions are worth preserving). White at home, blue on the road.
Almost all sports wear pink now for cancer! The Jimmy V Foundation and Kay Yow are 2 courageous people who started this fight while still alive! The game is 2nd to this incredible fight for life!!! My sister is a 4 time breast cancer survivor!!!

Reaction Score
To me, this is a no-brainer. What this particular game lacked in artistry it more than made up for in electricity. It was exciting in ways, IMHO, a UConn game has not been for a long time. There's also a great charity to play for, an opportunity for UConn to make wonderful gestures (like donating the black uniforms to be auctioned off for the Foundation, etc), and over time, a chance to bring the rivalry back all the way. I vote yes, absolutely.
I voted yes but why would you vote no? They are certainly a better quality team than almost all of the AAC teams and some Big East teams. They improve UConn’s rip and who knows, maybe the rivalry will catch on again.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno didn’t want to play Tenn. ESPN really wanted this game to be scheculed. Geno is a softie for charities and while the Vol fans continue to hAte Geno. For no particular reason, just like to hate.
I don’t think Geno will renew playing them again after next year. I must say that Geno was very emotional talking about Pat at the news conference after the game. I was very surprised.
In my opinion the Tennessee fans “hate” Geno primarily for being better than pat, and secondarily because Pat and the Tennessee athletic director falsely accused him of cheating.

Geno was getting the better of Pat on the court particularly in the NCAA tournament. It was easier for them to say he did so because he didn’t play fair, rather than except the fact that he was just a better coach.

As long as the games are entertaining, I am fine with playing them, but the notion that they are somehow “good for the game“ is silly. The game has outgrown that in no small part because of Geno Auriemma and UConn. The 1995 team captured the nation’s imagination and made it fashionable to watch WBB. Geno’s willingness to a schedule difficult games early in the season to test his team has created multiple marquis games were there once was one. Last but certainly not least, should be noted that Geno’s willingness to invite other coaches to watch his practice and his openness with his theories has been a huge boon to increasing the level of play across all of women’s college basketball. It rarely gets talked about, but in my opinion it has been a huge factor in increasing the level of play. At some point in time I hope it gets the recognition that it is due.

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The willingness of UCONN fans to denigrate Tennessee women's basketball is hard to understand. Although it is true that over the past several years UCONN has a much better record than Tennessee, Tennessee has a new and capable coach who, along with Geno, seeks to tamp down the recriminatory nonsense that has fed the rage of fanatics on both sides. Beyond that, the game was both exciting and an example of mediocre women's basketball. Give Tennessee a competent point guard who can control the flow of Tennessee's offense and UCONN loses by double digits. And while we are at it, this "great" UCONN team has in fact beaten no team in the AP top ten. The team lost to Baylor and, if we have a reprise of how the Tennessee game was played, it may well lose to Oregon and South Carolina. While UCONN now commences its annual feast on AAC teams which are worse than mediocre, Tennessee confronts the ranked teams of the SEC. Thus, the braggadocio of UCONN fans is misplaced. In any event, there are compelling historical and emotional reasons why a UCONN - Tennessee game should become a fixture on the UCONN schedule.

C'mon man, analysis of this Tennessee team is not denigration. They were not good at all in the game. Turnovers and weak rebounding despite a major size advantage were just the beginning.

For our part, it's lucky Tennessee was that bad. UConn shot horribly and it usually wasn't due to the defense. We're talking wide open shots.

"Give Tennessee a competent point guard..." Ok, and while we're dreaming, can we give UConn a dominating, physical center? There, now we win by 30. This isn't a fantasy league.

Did someone here refer to THIS UConn team as "great"? I think most of us are realists enough to see (and say) that this year is a down year. When was the last UConn team to have zero National Champions or All Americans on the roster? Losses to Oregon and USC are definitely possible and there could be others. Until recently, I was thinking that we might not get out of the AAC undefeated. I'm more confident now, but an AAC loss this year is not out of the question.

We always have high hopes and expectations for individual players and the team, though. A Tennessee fan should know that even a team with 10 losses isn't out of the Championship hunt.

We're in a weak league. Check. Not by choice. So what? I'd rather have great NCAA tournament success coming out of a weak league than not make the tournament, or get bounced out early, coming out of a stronger one.

Ending this game after next season or continuing it won't break my heart either way. I'll continue to be a Husky fan till death do us part and will try not to look at past success as some sort of entitlement for the future.

Reaction Score
Ok you asked 2 questions. In the thread title, you asked if it's good for the game. IMHO the answer to that question is "yes". It generated tons of interest, UCONN and Tennessee possess 2 of the most rabid fan bases in the game, and the tremendous dislike the fan bases have for each other, as well as the insane hatred Tennessee fans have towards Geno, make for compelling back stories.

However, do I want the series continued? Absolutely not. UCONN has been at the top for years now. Playing them does zero to help UCONN. As much as I enjoyed beating them and will enjoy pounding them in their own building next year with Evina dropping dimes all over the court against them (hopefully punching something orange in the process), we simply don't need them.

I'd rather play ND, Mississippi State, Baylor, Texas, Oregon, OSU, South Carolina, Stanford, UCLA, Maryland, OSU, NC State, Florida State, the Arizona schools, etc. Even throw in some good mid majors - South Dakota, FGCU, etc.
I think the Tennessee matchup is past history and until Tennessee improves to elite status I do not see WBB benefiting from that game. I would love to see MSST-UConn game become a regular matchup much like South Carolina has been the last few years. I believe WBB needs competitive games between elite teams to attract a larger fan base and that would be good for WBB.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
...I also dont think the game means as much anymore to either fan base. Some fans on Tennessee still despise Geno, and a few UCONN fans still loath Tennessee but for the most part, everyone has moved on. If a competitive rivalry emerges, great, but it isnt going to be the same Tennessee/UCONN rivalry that we saw from 95-07. The chance of that rivalry continuing effectively ended once Pat's disease was revealed IMO.
Maybe you're new here and don't truly understand the nature of this "Hatfield/McCoy" feud but I have highlighted a few items that maybe you could start a poll and get a better understanding of the dynamics at play here.
1. Both fan bases want to pummel one another to exert their superiority either to the current known status with UConn on top or to a "long ago, far, far away galaxy" when Tenn ruled the landscape.
2. Virtually all the Tenn fans despist Geno, despite known donations and a reconciliation between Geno and Pat. They feel their "Sainted Pat" was a "do no wrong" type person and Geno was pure evil. Logical people know that the truth lies somewhere in between. Mostly, they are upset that UConn has sped right by them in WCBB relevance and is the program all aspire to be...
3. Every long term UConn fan (those rooting for the school since 2008) do loath the Tenn administration and even Pat's actions for their petty, incorrect and ruthless attack about "recruiting violations".
4. IF EVERYONE has moved on, then why were there so many threads and the largest crowd of the season (13,659) show up to the game? Why did it have the largest viewing audience of any WCBB game thus far this season?
Look, as I noted in my previous post, no, this game did not have a "relevant 2020 WCBB" perspective on the state of WCBB but it did create oodles of interest for the mere fact they hadn't played each other. The good that came out of it was money for Alzheimers and UConn beat Tenn (again). I understand why you think the way you do from an "outside perspective" but go and peruse the VolNation site to see the vitriol and frustration still shown at Geno and UConn. Auburn hasn't been relevant in Football for years, but those fans still despise Alabama...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
face nose eyebrow chin head forehead hairstyle cheek eye girl mouth
What game where you watching? UConn missed more wide open shots against UT than at any point in the season. If they made 40% of those shots UConn would have won by 35-40. See? I can play the "if" game too.

Reaction Score
To buckarooand longtime fan. Obviously you two were not around when all the hAte was spewed toward UConn,it’s fans and the team and in particular against Geno. The filth that was posted on the Summitt by Tenn fans was disguting especially towards Geno. The complaint file against UConn and Geno and the 37 page of Boneyard posts against our fans and Tony C in particular were uneccessary. UConn should have reported the Simmit in reply although I don’t think anyone would print tha iuendo an filth.
I have nothing against the current coach or players and I wish them the best but I never want to see that team or coach on a UConn court again.

Yes I hold grudges.
You are 100% correct. I knew nothing about the Gino-Pat dispute ( and the vitriol spewed by those who took sides ), other than a fight over Maya Moore. So it is easy for me not to recall truly anger based grudges. I do believe Tennessee will return to glory....at least to a high level of play...with Kelly Jolly as the coach. And isn't there supposed to be something " divine " about forgiving?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom