boise not coming | Page 3 | The Boneyard

boise not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ralph D. Russo@ralphDrussoAP
The TV rights to Boise State's home football games will NOT be part of MW's TV deals. Will be sold in separate package.

Boise is way too big for its britches.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
and how does joining CUSA protect our brand?

I just think its the only option.

Why would CUSA or MWC schools join this? Why?

Reaction Score

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what you're talking about.

The best of the CUSA has already joined the Big East!!!!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
and how does joining CUSA protect our brand?

The reality is that there's no brand left to protect. The only options are to add more C-USA schools. So what's the difference if we bring them into whatever conference we're "creating" or if we join them. To be honest, the only way I see this conference landing a TV deal is by joining a conference with a pre-existing one. No one wants to touch the NNNNBE because UConn and Cincy will jump at anything and they are the only reasons to offer a semi-decent tv deal. Boise leaving shows that there is no TV deal in the works and that if the MWC deal, plus whatever their own tv deal is, is better, than there's nothing left for UConn.....

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Football should go independent and offer 2-1 games with real teams where the one Uconn home game is in NYC or gilette/Boston. Fill in four other home games vs Umass and MAC teams. That is far more enticing as a fan than seeing whatever is left of the nnnmbe. 90 percent of Uconn fans would prefer to see hoops salvaged than worry about a garbage football program

Enough with the Stop that UConn hoops can be salvaged without the football program. Do you want to know the last time a non-BCS school won the title? 23 years ago. And the gulf has only been widening. If you want bball you need football. Period.

Reaction Score
I would rather see us join the MAC for football only and keep our basketball with the C7 version of the Big East, at least the basketball schedule will be good.

UCONN needs to be in the Big East, either we fight the C7 for the name or we join them.

Reaction Score
The reality is that there's no brand left to protect. The only options are to add more C-USA schools. So what's the difference if we bring them into whatever conference we're "creating" or if we join them. To be honest, the only way I see this conference landing a TV deal is by joining a conference with a pre-existing one. No one wants to touch the NNNNBE because UConn and Cincy will jump at anything and they are the only reasons to offer a semi-decent tv deal. Boise leaving shows that there is no TV deal in the works and that if the MWC deal, plus whatever their own tv deal is, is better, than there's nothing left for UConn.....

This post encompasses our plight. I've read scenario after scenario on this board of how we could "get acc to act" if ABC happens. You have to figure Boise and others saw they too were being used as pawns . Do I blame them for looking out for themselves , hell no, I applaud it.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what you're talking about.

The best of the CUSA has already joined the Big East!!!!

And they're alllllllllllllllll about to go back.

Reaction Score

There is something for Boise. They get their own TV rights. Which they have deemed to be more valuable than their pooled rights (split with the likes of Tulane) are in the BE. Good for them--I doubt Boise knows what it's doing, but good for them.

Reaction Score
This post encompasses our plight. I've read scenario after scenario on this board of how we could "get acc to act" if ABC happens. You have to figure Boise and others saw they too were being used as pawns . Do I blame them for looking out for themselves , hell no, I applaud it.

Boise was doing the same thing. Boise is trying to remain viable until the Pac-10 comes calling. That being said, the idea of Boise selling its own TV rights seems preposterous to me. They are a flash in the pan school.

Reaction Score
Start with the Contract. This is about money to US = UConn. If Aresco (and I would agree that this is in the questionable category ... but he has far more TV big contract experience than Marinatto or the rest of Providence) can get us money for Markets ... and we do well in the SNY world, we have viability. We are Independent. But we can't go Independent. By that, I mean you have to fill 8 games a year solidly; you have to have the Logo/Conference. You are better with the Comcast people in front of you than NOT.

So Memphis - USF (Tampa) - UCF (Orlando) - Navy (Baltimore-Washington)- Houston - SMU (Dallas) - Tulane (New Orleans) - Cincinnati - UConn (Hartford). It's worth something to a Regionally oriented NBC for content.

We are screwed ... but that Murphy article is crazy: the MWC can't entice Houston or SMU with a Boise clause. And then what?

Reaction Score
And they're alllllllllllllllll about to go back.

No they won't. I get paid more by TV contracts than the C-USA in their total Package.

A NEW entity has opportunity. The old contract of the C-USA locks them out. And, further, ESPN is just hateful article after article. Why would Houston or SMU go to the MWC with their $12m total TV contract (less than $1m per school)>? The one thing I agree with: the potential of UConn or Cincy leaving puts this whole venture in an awful situation.

One thing is for certain: this is going to keep playing out.

Reaction Score

I am quite certain that Tulane and ECU were ecstatic about leaving CUSA just a few weeks ago. We need to lock arms with them along with UCF, USF, Cincy, Temple, and Memphis and fight for the Big East name. Joining CUSA is not an option.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Enough with the bull**** that UConn hoops can be salvaged without the football program. Do you want to know the last time a non-BCS school won the title? 23 years ago. And the gulf has only been widening. If you want bball you need football. Period.
The last time a non-bcs school won the title was UConn in 1999.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
A NEW entity has opportunity. The old contract of the C-USA locks them out. And, further, ESPN is just hateful article after article. Why would Houston or SMU go to the MWC with their $12m total TV contract (less than $1m per school)>? The one thing I agree with: the potential of UConn or Cincy leaving puts this whole venture in an awful situation.

This part is more likely to be asked of the MWC. Granted their deal will be reworked but for how much more? Why add more schools and make the payout less for all the programs in the MWC. You just lured back your big fish, why dilute the rest by adding more schools? SDSU may find its way back but that's probably it. Unless there's some mega TV deal their hiding.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Pick up another 10 million atleast.
Per ESPN: "
Although Boise State never spent a day in the Big East, the Broncos still must pay a $5 million exit fee to the Big East, though Boise State officials said there are contract provisions that could lower that amount. The Mountain West is expected to help pay that fee, sources said."

But every million counts...UConn may ended up having to split the exit fees with few others...then still find a real home at the end. Just keep swimming...just keep swimming

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The last time a non-bcs school won the title was UConn in 1999.

I get your point but in 1999 our upgrade to D-1 was several years in the works, and officially began the upgrade in Jan. 1999. I don't think that championship happens without the 'university on the rise' feel of a school moving into the then very strong Big East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom