boise not coming | The Boneyard

boise not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@McMurphyESPN: Boise State remaining in MWC; will not join Big East in 2013, sources told @espn http://post original url/LF4o4J7M

Reaction Score
I know that a lot of this may have been out of aresco's control, but can we seem him do ONE thing that makes us think it was a good thing we brought him into the fold? JUST ONE THING?????

And no, I'm not talking about tulane

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
@McMurphyESPN: Boise State remaining in MWC; will not join Big East in 2013, sources told @espn http://post original url/LF4o4J7M

That's legit. Expect an update from SDSU any minute now.

Reaction Score
Honestly, does it really matter? There was no future in a conf with Boise, sdsu, Hou, SMU. Worse case Uconn drops football and joins the catholics. Best case asked to join a real conference. Same as before.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Pretty sad that it appears Tulane joining pushed the hoop schools over the edge and also filled another spot that couldve been used for another western school.

Not shocking and when San diego state leaves it wont be any less shocking either.

The real question is whether Houston, Smu or cinci will go to MWC.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
mwc is going big. good for them go for it. with bsu and byu with everyone else they can really mess with the pac a lot more then the mac can with the b10. hope they grab smu and uh and crew also.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Honestly, does it really matter? There was no future in a conf with Boise, sdsu, Hou, SMU. Worse case Uconn drops football and joins the catholics. Best case asked to join a real conference. Same as before.

To conclude anything other than yes is pretty confounding. First, joining the Catholics and dropping football is simply not an option $200M later.

Second, nobody here wants a conference with BSU, SDSU, Hou, and SMU but you are kidding yourself if you think playing ECU, Tulane, USF, Cinci, and whoever else without those 4 is better. With the other schools there was at least a chance they come into Rentschler with an exciting, ranked team and help sell some tickets. Now even that fleeting hope is gone.

Third, (if we want to be optimistic) I think it was clear that BSU was going to get more money in the Big East than the MWC (unless MWC caved to some crazy deal) so maybe they think the Big East as constituted will change again, and we can hope that includes UConn out in a year or two. It's a stretch, but stretching is currently my coping method.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Andy Katz: amen.

Andy Katz@ESPNAndyKatz
If MWC decides to take SDSU back, it would have teams I'd rather watch (UNLV, SDSU, UNM, CSU, USU)over 7 leaving BE. I may not be alone.

Reaction Score
So when does BSU file their lawsuit against the BE, filed in Boise, to get out of paying the exit fee since the conference they agreed to join in '11 had changed so much?

Reaction Score
Inevitable. The $$ is simply not there for the western schools to justify the move. If I were Aresco, I guess i have 2 options:

1. add every CUSA team, or at least 3 (Southern Miss, Marshall and Tulsa/UTEP) and look to eliminate that conference from any claim to participate in BCS spoils; or
2. if SDSU wants to stay, go after the MWC - add 3 from UNLV, New Mexico, Nevada, and Fresno - and look for same result.

It appears a combo. of sorts, for FB only, might be the 3rd best angle - Work out a deal w/MWC to create a FB only conference, with east/west regions and 2-3 crossover games. Leave other sports where they are for travel.

Perhaps he could also announce the official renaming of the conference to the Big Exodus Conference.

To be clear, does this mean BSU still owes MWC an exit fee?

Reaction Score
To be clear, does this mean BSU still owes MWC an exit fee?

Paul Myerberg (@PaulMyerberg)
12/31/12, 2:50 PM
Boise State will pay $10 million to the Big East despite never having spent a day as an official member, per ESPN report.

Reaction Score
To conclude anything other than yes is pretty confounding. First, joining the Catholics and dropping football is simply not an option $200M later.

Second, nobody here wants a conference with BSU, SDSU, Hou, and SMU but you are kidding yourself if you think playing ECU, Tulane, USF, Cinci, and whoever else without those 4 is better. With the other schools there was at least a chance they come into Rentschler with an exciting, ranked team and help sell some tickets. Now even that fleeting hope is gone.

Third, (if we want to be optimistic) I think it was clear that BSU was going to get more money in the Big East than the MWC (unless MWC caved to some crazy deal) so maybe they think the Big East as constituted will change again, and we can hope that includes UConn out in a year or two. It's a stretch, but stretching is currently my coping method.

No one was coming to rentschler to see Boise every four years. C'mon. While I agree with your general premise, Uconn will walk from the rest of the big east in football if it is not invited to ACC etc. go independent and play a bunch of 2-1 road games and Mac games or simply drop the program from fbs to FCS. The smart move is to salvage the Olympics and staying in a conf with ECU, Tulane, USf, and whomever else is not worth it.

Reaction Score
Wtf, us, USF, and Cincinnati should make enough off of exit fees to keep us afloat for a while anyways. This is a sad state of affairs we find ourselves in.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
mwc+bsu/byu/uh/smu/tulsa
big east name goes to c7
ecu, mem, tulane, usf and ucf make a new name confrence. they add uab/smiss and crew.

acc takes cincy and temple while uconn goes to b10 with acc schools. its all coming together. usf then gets the acc call soon. army and navy join acc. love it. were going to argue the buyout down to pennys after this goes to hell. its going to be fun collecting others money then dipping last. yea

Reaction Score
We now should fight for the Big East name and not sell it to the Catholics. It's imperative that Houston, SMU and Memphis stay with us and the basketball brand of "The Big East" is the only thing we have going for us. These three schools do care about basketball and we need them otherwise we will find ourselves joining CUSA. The ACC and B1G are not going to rescue us, they are laughing at us.

The New Big East version 12:

UCONN
UMASS
Temple
Cincy
UCF
USF
East Carolina
Memphis
Houston
SMU
Navy
Tulane

I would also invite Fordham for basketball only to give us a NYC team.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Someone please assure me that the C7 don't see a dime of this money. Are they officially out? Or having they been holding out to leach an extra few million?! My car is currently warming up so any answer other than a clear 'No, they get no money' will immediately result in a Sherman's march from Prov to NY, to NJ, on to Phili, quick stop in DC, Milwaukee, and Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom