Boeheim Spilling Secrets | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boeheim Spilling Secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I look forward to adding 4>0 to signature.
Just in case.

7ItUz1F---Imgur.gif

Reaction Score
As someone pointed out before, summer classes + not caring 1st semester allows you to be academically eligible all year and then dart for the NBA Draft without taking (failing essentially) all your 2nd semester courses.

Its the Kentucky Way of Life.

Nowadays, doing this would cost your team an APR point.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's the fall math 101 course for Syracuse bb players.
Laurie Fine, "I gave him an 'A'!"
She offered an upper level human sexuality summer course for Syracuse bb players. A prerequisite was an Art in Dark course with her. Total credits I believe were 6 or 9 depending on lab work.

The Cuse players also got credit for taking African Studies online courses that came out of UNC.
This was necessary to gain admittance to the ACC.
It gave cover for the NCAA to say those courses were approved by multiple institutions.

Reaction Score
Something is seriously up with him. Flipping an absolute and getting ejected in the most critical moment of a game, his "off" comments over the last few years.... you have to wonder when the cognition will start to go downhill.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Something is seriously up with him. Flipping an absolute and getting ejected in the most critical moment of a game, his "off" comments over the last few years.... you have to wonder when the cognition will start to go downhill.

Didn't need any of that to know something was up.

Jim-Boeheim-picking-nose.png

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Everyone needs to go take a gander at the Cuse board. The level of cognitive dissonance is remarkable. For three straight years they have labeled UConn as a cheating program with no respect for academics, and label all of our players as brainless idiots who "never read a book" (boy they really took that Kemba quote out of context and really ran with it). The APR comments have not subsided in the slightest despite that happening almost three years ago now.

Now on their own board, the day this news comes out its a whole 'nother story. Priceless comments like:
  • "Didn't you know that C students run the world. Much has been written about it.
    http://elitedaily.com/news/world/students-run-world/"
  • "What's wrong with a C" (a serious question he wants answered)
  • "Winning a title and still getting Cs? That is impressive in my book."
  • "Grades, schmades. We're talking about pro basketball's pro feeder system, big-time college hoops. When I saw the subject line on this thread, I thought it was about this: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/58989/in-fishers-debut-knicks-a-work-in-progress"
  • "Melo's 1.8 GPA translates to career earnings to date in the neighborhood of $154 million, beats my 3.6 GPA earnings every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Apparently I wasted a lot of time studying."
  • "I feel like I need to say this as clearly as possible: WHO CARES"
  • "You don't know about a particular kid's background. For some folks, getting those grades would be great, because it showed they could actually do college level work when they thought that maybe they couldn't. Don't be a hater."

It really goes to show you what mental contradictions and twists a fan base can create for themselves when there simply isn't enough happening on the court over the past half century to keep them entertained.

Reaction Score
Everyone needs to go take a gander at the Cuse board. The level of cognitive dissonance is remarkable. For three straight years they have labeled UConn as a cheating program with no respect for academics, and label all of our players as brainless idiots who "never read a book" (boy they really took that Kemba quote out of context and really ran with it). The APR comments have not subsided in the slightest despite that happening almost three years ago now.

Now on their own board, the day this news comes out its a whole 'nother story. Priceless comments like:
  • "Didn't you know that C students run the world. Much has been written about it.
    http://elitedaily.com/news/world/students-run-world/"
  • "What's wrong with a C" (a serious question he wants answered)
  • "Winning a title and still getting Cs? That is impressive in my book."
  • "Grades, schmades. We're talking about pro basketball's pro feeder system, big-time college hoops. When I saw the subject line on this thread, I thought it was about this: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/58989/in-fishers-debut-knicks-a-work-in-progress"
  • "Melo's 1.8 GPA translates to career earnings to date in the neighborhood of $154 million, beats my 3.6 GPA earnings every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Apparently I wasted a lot of time studying."
  • "I feel like I need to say this as clearly as possible: WHO CARES"
  • "You don't know about a particular kid's background. For some folks, getting those grades would be great, because it showed they could actually do college level work when they thought that maybe they couldn't. Don't be a hater."

It really goes to show you what mental contradictions and twists a fan base can create for themselves when there simply isn't enough happening on the court over the past half century to keep them entertained.

I hope some of you boneyarders are gearing-up for a B-52 truth strike over there.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
John said:
I hope some of you boneyarders are gearing-up for a B-52 truth strike over there.

That will keep the mods busy. Quick banning trigger fingers over there. First hint of a flame and you're gone.

Reaction Score
That will keep the mods busy. Quick banning trigger fingers over there. First hint of a flame and you're gone.

In and out before they know what hit them

stealth.jpg

Reaction Score
I hate Cuse as much as the next guy, but this is a complete non-story. Assuming he was eligible the whole season - which I'm sure he was, otherwise Boeheim wouldn't have released this information - I don't see how anybody can have a problem with this. I'm not sure if the GPA is representative of his capabilities as a student or not, but there's definitely no shame in struggling a little bit as a first-semester freshman (and we don't know what 'Melo's education level was coming into college). If you're a big time college athlete who goes to class on a fairly regular basis, does his own work, and manages to eek out a C despite a massive workload in and out of the classroom, that's not really something I can make fun of. A lot of big time college basketball players aren't really cut out for higher education (I don't know if 'Melo is one of these guys or not), so I respect guys that try hard despite not being as prepared as normal college students.

Again, I'm all for a Cuse pineda bashing session, but we'd be singing a much different tune if it was one of our players with these grades. KO revealed last week in an article that Terrence struggled academically early in his freshman year. I don't know what the exact grades were, but it shouldn't really matter (again, provided he was eligible) - freshman struggling academically is far from abnormal.

Reaction Score
I hate Cuse as much as the next guy, but this is a complete non-story. Assuming he was eligible the whole season - which I'm sure he was, otherwise Boeheim wouldn't have released this information - I don't see how anybody can have a problem with this. I'm not sure if the GPA is representative of his capabilities as a student or not, but there's definitely no shame in struggling a little bit as a first-semester freshman (and we don't know what 'Melo's education level was coming into college). If you're a big time college athlete who goes to class on a fairly regular basis, does his own work, and manages to eek out a C despite a massive workload in and out of the classroom, that's not really something I can make fun of. A lot of big time college basketball players aren't really cut out for higher education (I don't know if 'Melo is one of these guys or not), so I respect guys that try hard despite not being as prepared as normal college students.

Again, I'm all for a Cuse pineda bashing session, but we'd be singing a much different tune if it was one of our players with these grades. KO revealed last week in an article that Terrence struggled academically early in his freshman year. I don't know what the exact grades were, but it shouldn't really matter (again, provided he was eligible) - freshman struggling academically is far from abnormal.
You're not getting it. The whole thing was first mainly: well why is Boeheim doing this? Why does he feel some need to put out how his hero (because what would Cuse and Boeheim be if they didn't rent Melo for 6 months) somehow skated by on a 1.8 GPA? What is the point/motive?

Then it got ridiculous when he followed that up by trying to qualify it by saying he was trying to convey his being impressed by such a performance off the court. Like to Boeheim, that's actually above average, because one isn't "impressed" by something that is average or mediocre. And I don't care who you are; that is a little ridiculous

Reaction Score
You're not getting it. The whole thing was first mainly: well why is Boeheim doing this? Why does he feel some need to put out how his hero (because what would Cuse and Boeheim be if they didn't rent Melo for 6 months) somehow skated by on a 1.8 GPA? What is the point/motive?

Then it got ridiculous when he followed that up by trying to qualify it by saying he was trying to convey his being impressed by such a performance off the court. Like to Boeheim, that's actually above average, because one isn't "impressed" by something that is average or mediocre. And I don't care who you are; that is a little ridiculous

You're right, maybe I misinterpreted some of the posts. Boehiem looks like a dunce as always, and the fact that he thinks 'Melo's 1.8 GPA is something to marvel at is pretty hysterical. I just don't think this is much out of the ordinary.

caw

Reaction Score

Or he was impressed because he thought Melo was a complete moron...and you know...Honey Nut Cheerios

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Potential recruits must love this. "I wonder if Jim will publish a book 10 years after I leave with all my grades?"

and didn't Melo donate a ton of money too?

Carmelo-Anthony.jpg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am going to defend Anthony first - I am 100% sure that he's not the first kid to pull a 1.8 their first semester at college. It's not good, of course, and I'm sure he was on watch or probation

We've had bright kids come here and struggle their first semester. An awful lot of these kids spend a decade in some lousy-assed school districts before basketball lets them move to a charter or a prep. College is a big, steep hill and they're not always ready right out of the box. ("But they get tutors!" Meh, shut up.)

No defense for Boeheim, though. Why was he putting the kid's grades in a book? The kid already saved Boeheim's legacy and now he embarrasses him to sell a couple of extra books. Without Carmelo Anthony, Boeheim is a cautionary tale.

This is why Calhoun can have a reunion game every other year and Boehiem couldn't put together an alumni poker game.

Reaction Score
A lot of big time college basketball players aren't really cut out(PREPARE) for higher education (I don't know if 'Melo is one of these guys or not), so I respect guys that try hard despite not being as prepared as normal college students.

Again, I'm all for a Cuse pineda bashing session, but we'd be singing a much different tune if it was one of our players with these grades. KO revealed last week in an article that Terrence struggled academically early in his freshman year. I don't know what the exact grades were, but it shouldn't really matter (again, provided he was eligible) - freshman struggling academically is far from abnormal.[/QUOTE]

I am with you on this. Perhaps we should read the book before we start commenting on one-liners. There are 2 issues that come to mind here: why is an active coach listing the actual grades of a past player who is still active? Does this represent a lack of sophistication- maybe the publishers/editors failed to point it out to him, but when ahead and got permission from Melo. 'Hi Melo, is it ok that coach writes that you received all Cs? 2nd, he wants to point out to the world that he took a chance on Melo when others turned away and look at him now (not to mention that we got a ton of money from this kid for a building. Didn't they?) Without reading the book it is hard to say anything concrete and therefore everything is sayable.

Reaction Score
Its just cuse being cuse. Its not so much carmelo's grades but the nose man putting it out there plus they hate us, they make s--- up and never miss a chance to slam us in every possible way.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
From the Wall Street Journal's Chris Herring:

In “Bleeding Orange,” which Boeheim wrote with Sports Illustrated's Jack McCallum, the coach notes that Anthony got four Cs and one D—or a 1.8 grade-point average—during his first term at the school.

“[A]nd if anyone wants to roll his eyes at that, plenty of freshmen who aren't carrying a basketball team on their back do a lot worse,” Boeheim wrote about Anthony, who left the school after one year to go pro. “But we couldn't put him in for the Wooden Award because his grades weren't good enough. Nevertheless, this much is certain: No college basketball player in America was better than freshman Carmelo Anthony over the course of the 2002-03 season.”

After the first version of that story was published, Boeheim spoke to Herring:

“The point I was trying to make, and maybe did not succeed in, was that I was impressed with how he did as a first-semester freshman,” Boeheim said, adding that he had previously spoken to Anthony about mentioning his grades in the book. […]

“We had talked about this before, but I'll call him again to explain what I was getting at,” Boeheim said. “I wanted to try to make clear that he did do his work, and that he was engaged as a college student.”

Boeheim added that he thought it was “common knowledge” that Anthony had a GPA under 2.0—the minimum requirement for Wooden Award nominees—since he wasn't nominated despite dominating his competition over the course of that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom