Boeheim issues statement | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boeheim issues statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I have good friends who are life-long Syracuse fans - I know some will turn themselves inside out defending him, but more simply want him to go away.
I certainly want him to go away.

I used to respect him as an honorable man and coach. Over the last three to four years, he has gone out of his way to prove that he is pond scum.
I won't even start my rant again about receiving zero punishment for enabling a pedophile on his staff. Ptooie!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Boeheim is an . But he's cut from the same cloth as Jimmy C (in attitude, not...moral standards or whatever).

Wouldn't have expected anything different from his response.

The sanctions don't matter. They're harsh enough, deep down we knew there would be no additional tournament bans. But even if there were Syracuse is safe in a strong conference.

Just glad that this ensures he'll never reach 1,000 official wins.
Don't think they're cut from the same cloth at all.

JB's nose and his nose picking says it all. He's an arrogant self centered individual. I get the impression JB is at best aloof from his players and at worst has a disdain for his players, believing they are pawns for his goal, adulation. JC doesn't shy away from being in the spot light but it's a shared spotlight. He genuinely cares about his players and the program even as he's sometimes flawed with his execution in showing it. With JB the spotlight is primarily on himself.

Both dislike talking to the media. JB because the media is beneath him. JC because the media doesn't always play the game fairly. He's a warrior and hates that the media has all the players and refs on it's side regarding the public forum. And like Billy Budd he over reacts when shoved into a corner. Neither endeared themselves to the media. It bothered JC. JB could care less.

In the long run this might turn out to be the best thing that could happen for Syracuse. JC wanted the bb program to succeed long after he retired. He feels the program is bigger than himself, which is why you see him taking a hands off approach to KO. JB believes he is the program and would love to see it fail after he retires. Like so many flawed legacies, he would try to sabotage future Syracuse coaches. Think St. Johns and Lou Carnesecca. Having him marginalized reduces this somewhat. But like his speech he won't go down fighting.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Has Bayheim ever had a night where alumni players come back to support his charity efforts?

Reaction Score
I may be totally off base here, but it seems like the cheating and general slimy nature of the Syracuse program coincided with the UConn's championships. Boeheim was desperate to keep up w/ Calhoun and has ended up tied w/ Ollie and 1 behind Olander, while dragging the program and school through the mud. A bogus APR blemish vs. a decade of cheating. Calhoun and UConn win again

Reaction Score
I'm certainly "relieved" to hear Jimmy's explanation and to find out that this whole episode was not his fault. But, being the standup guy he is, he is accepting overall responsibility as the commander in chief.

Unfortunately, like so many others, Jimmy only wanted to win and was willing to look the other way if that's what it took. My guess is he sticks around for a year or two in order to leave under a less dark cloud.

One of the lessons here is that if you stay long enough, your sins will eventually come back to bite you.

Reaction Score
Don't care about the 9 suspended ACC games next year nor do I care about the 108 wins they take away from his now pitiful legacy. The loss of 12 scholarships in 4 years may burden them so that's good, but they get to keep intact the class they have coming in and play in the tourney NEXT year after these findings we made at this point of THIS year? Not happy with that - they should have said a while ago these kids can go this year of they make it and no for next year. Then they would be "penalized" as they should be, but watching kids jump off the ship!

He's a and he gets to coach a real good team again next year so there's something wrong with that!
It is quite amazing that some people actually think this is a harsh punishment. They clearly violated rules during their championship season, yet managed to negotiate that year out of the applicable penalty period. And shockingly, their cheating stopped right before their Final Four in 2013. As you said, no one on their current team will leave because of these sanctions, and the sanctions won't prevent any member of next years very good recruiting class from showing up. If they put up a 5-6 loss season next year, win a couple games in the tourney, and put McCullough in the top 20 of the draft, they will keep rolling right along. No high level team needs all their scholarships to be successful. The only thing that's a real punishment is being able to send out only 2 people to recruit, and even that can be managed. And that's assuming none of these sanctions get walked back 2 years from now.

A tourney ban would have been 100x worse. Their top upperclassmen could have left, their high level recruits could have gone elsewhere. They would have to rely on their current freshman and sophomore classes which are weak. That thing would have been a disaster and left a real impression.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The NCAA opened up our barn doors and let all the animals out to go to different farms.

They keep every player and top recruit. The only casualty is Christmas misses this year's ACC tournament.

The NCAA will roll most of those scholarship penalties back. Cuse got off easy unless I'm wrong and the NCAA sticks with the scholly penalties. I just have no faith in the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The NCAA opened up our barn doors and let all the animals out to go to different farms.

They keep every player and top recruit. The only casualty is Christmas misses this year's ACC tournament.

The NCAA will roll most of those scholarship penalties back. Cuse got off easy unless I'm wrong and the NCAA sticks with the scholly penalties. I just have no faith in the NCAA.
Even if they stick with the scholarship reductions, it's not like they can't be successful. We just won multiple national championships while on scholarship reduction.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Don't think they're cut from the same cloth at all.

JB's nose and his nose picking says it all. He's an arrogant self centered individual. I get the impression JB is at best aloof from his players and at worst has a disdain for his players, believing they are pawns for his goal, adulation. JC doesn't shy away from being in the spot light but it's a shared spotlight. He genuinely cares about his players and the program even as he's sometimes flawed with his execution in showing it. With JB the spotlight is primarily on himself.

Both dislike talking to the media. JB because the media is beneath him. JC because the media doesn't always play the game fairly. He's a warrior and hates that the media has all the players and refs on it's side regarding the public forum. And like Billy Budd he over reacts when shoved into a corner. Neither endeared themselves to the media. It bothered JC. JB could care less.

In the long run this might turn out to be the best thing that could happen for Syracuse. JC wanted the bb program to succeed long after he retired. He feels the program is bigger than himself, which is why you see him taking a hands off approach to KO. JB believes he is the program and would love to see it fail after he retires. Like so many flawed legacies, he would try to sabotage future Syracuse coaches. Think St. Johns and Lou Carnesecca. Having him marginalized reduces this somewhat. But like his speech he won't go down fighting.

Your last paragraph bring up an interesting point. G'town, Villanova and SJU all had larger than life coaches and all of them have regressed significantly since JT, Rollie and Louie left. SU could follow suit after JB leaves. Nova is close to being a national story but it's 30 years since their magical run.

UConn was a late bloomer in the BE, but by the time the conference split up UConn and JC had the most accomplishments in terms of National Championships and BE titles. There isn't any guarantee that Ollie will end up with accomplishments as vast as Calhoun but UConn has won a championship with JC's successor and that's something none of the other BE schools have done.

Reaction Score
It is quite amazing that some people actually think this is a harsh punishment. They clearly violated rules during their championship season, yet managed to negotiate that year out of the applicable penalty period. And shockingly, their cheating stopped right before their Final Four in 2013. As you said, no one on their current team will leave because of these sanctions, and the sanctions won't prevent any member of next years very good recruiting class from showing up. If they put up a 5-6 loss season next year, win a couple games in the tourney, and put McCullough in the top 20 of the draft, they will keep rolling right along. No high level team needs all their scholarships to be successful. The only thing that's a real punishment is being able to send out only 2 people to recruit, and even that can be managed. And that's assuming none of these sanctions get walked back 2 years from now.

A tourney ban would have been 100x worse. Their top upperclassmen could have left, their high level recruits could have gone elsewhere. They would have to rely on their current freshman and sophomore classes which are weak. That thing would have been a disaster and left a real impression.

The NCAA brilliantly kept alive its streak of never stripping a college basketball team of its national title.
The vacation of games levied against Syracuse skipped right over 2003, the year Carmelo Anthony led the Orange to the NCAA title.
Whew ... what a fortunate hop-scotch of justice. Or, actually, this is the way it always works.

Chris Dufresne, Los Angeles Times

Reaction Score
The NCAA brilliantly kept alive its streak of never stripping a college basketball team of its national title.
The vacation of games levied against Syracuse skipped right over 2003, the year Carmelo Anthony led the Orange to the NCAA title.
Whew ... what a fortunate hop-scotch of justice. Or, actually, this is the way it always works.

Chris Dufresne, Los Angeles Times
If you read some of the other articles, it specifically states that Syracuse negotiated with the NCAA to make the period of time during which violations occurred start after 2003. How the duckk is the period of time you were cheating something that can be negotiated? It's unreal, but standard NCAA.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Your last paragraph bring up an interesting point. G'town, Villanova and SJU all had larger than life coaches and all of them have regressed significantly since JT, Rollie and Louie left. SU could follow suit after JB leaves. Nova is close to being a national story but it's 30 years since their magical run.

UConn was a late bloomer in the BE, but by the time the conference split up UConn and JC had the most accomplishments in terms of National Championships and BE titles. There isn't any guarantee that Ollie will end up with accomplishments as vast as Calhoun but UConn has won a championship with JC's successor and that's something none of the other BE schools have done.
It is hard for most coaches in any program to be successful or sustain success. It is harder for a coach following a legacy to live up to the expectations of a fan base that insists on the same standard. It is next to impossible when the succeeding coach must deal with a legacy coach who at some level of consciousness needs to maintain the spotlight.

It is not unusual for people to sabotage others to make themselves successful. You would think a legacy wouldn't need that, but then again what drives some uber rich people to make more money at the expense of others who are just struggling to survive. Neediness comes in many forms. We understand this in people who are struggling in life such as drug users. It is much harder to understand in those who are successful, powerful and/or wealthy.

In the case I'm postulating the legacy coaches struggle to share success with anyone. But the coaches that follow, in the minds of these individuals, would reduce the value of their legacy if they were to succeed. As an aside, I think Calipari would have no problem with the next coach being successful. It's not that he cares about Kentucky or the next coach, it's just that he is so enamored with himself he would put no thought into what happens at Kentucky after he left. That's how he left UMass and Memphis.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You have ask how the AD makes it out of this alive.

As bad as JB looks in all of this, the AD is equally if not more culpable for failing to administer the drug testing and punishment policy and player eligibility. Couple that with his dept's multiple f-ups on ceremonial events and you have to think he is a prime candidate to take one for the team. Get a new AD in there with a clean rep to get through the transition.

Reaction Score
Boeheim is an . But he's cut from the same cloth as Jimmy C (in attitude, not...moral standards or whatever).

Wouldn't have expected anything different from his response.

The sanctions don't matter. They're harsh enough, deep down we knew there would be no additional tournament bans. But even if there were Syracuse is safe in a strong conference.

Just glad that this ensures he'll never reach 1,000 official wins.
When UConn got dinged the words I still remember from JC's statement were "mistakes were made". Also Calhoun, I don't ever remember, him knocking a player who was considering leaving early for the NBA. The only thing they had in common they were coaches and ornery.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It is hard for most coaches in any program to be successful or sustain success. It is harder for a coach following a legacy to live up to the expectations of a fan base that insists on the same standard. It is next to impossible when the succeeding coach must deal with a legacy coach who at some level of consciousness needs to maintain the spotlight.

It is not unusual for people to sabotage others to make themselves successful. You would think a legacy wouldn't need that, but then again what drives some uber rich people to make more money at the expense of others who are just struggling to survive. Neediness comes in many forms. We understand this in people who are struggling in life such as drug users. It is much harder to understand in those who are successful, powerful and/or wealthy.

In the case I'm postulating the legacy coaches struggl to share success with anyone. But the coaches that follow, in the minds of these individuals, would reduce the value of their legacy if they were to succeed. As an aside, I think Calipari would have no problem with the next coach being successful. It's not that he cares about Kentucky or the next coach, it's just that he is so enamored with himself he would put no thought into what happens at Kentucky after he left. That's how he left UMass and Memphis.

Fully aware of that. The running joke is no one wants to follow a legend. You want to be the coach after the coach who follows the legend.

My point is that all of the original traditional powers have had to transition from a larger than life coach and none have been able to replicate that success. Without looking at exact dates, 1995 was 25 years ago. And G'town, SJU and Nova haven't sniffed their levels of national prominence like they had in the 1980's. Boeheim is the last hold out from that generation.

Meantime, UConn, who was considered the new kid on the block, blew past all of them and has had a successful transition to a new coach. Ollie already has as many rings on his hand as Boeheim, Thompson and Massimino have on theirs. And Ollie has more jewelry than Carnesseca.

You know that sticks in the craw of all four of those schools. They all wanted to believe UConn was just JC and that UConn would regress to levels of the other schools. Not so.

Reaction Score
Even if they stick with the scholarship reductions, it's not like they can't be successful. We just won multiple national championships while on scholarship reduction.
Maybe this a last ditch effort by the nose picker to match UConn's accomplishments. "If UConn can win it all with a reduction in scholllies than so can I"-Jim "the picker" Boeheim

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If you read some of the other articles, it specifically states that Syracuse negotiated with the NCAA to make the period of time during which violations occurred start after 2003. How the duckk is the period of time you were cheating something that can be negotiated? It's unreal, but standard NCAA.
I want to know how the school negotiated this punishment, which dragged the process out, then complained about how long it took. And immediately announces Boeheim will be appealing his punishment. They look like assclowns, but I guess that's nothing new.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Julie will suddenly become eligible like Fab did?

Reaction Score
I never thought he was a bad guy even if I had my doubts watching him interact with the media at times.
The fact he would pick his nose on national television should have said all that needed to be known when it comes to how much he thinks of others. The only thing he didn't do (at least on television) was flick the boogers onto the courts.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I may be totally off base here, but it seems like the cheating and general slimy nature of the Syracuse program coincided with the UConn's championships. Boeheim was desperate to keep up w/ Calhoun and has ended up tied w/ Ollie and 1 behind Olander, while dragging the program and school through the mud. A bogus APR blemish vs. a decade of cheating. Calhoun and UConn win again

You're half-right, sort of.

Back about 12-14 years ago, Syracuse recruiting was in the crapper and he tossed his staff and replaced them with Hopkins, Weaver, etc. S--- started to go off the rails there.

But Boeheim was in trouble in the early 90s, too, so maybe it's also a case of a leopard never changing his spots.

Reaction Score
I know we like to give NC State fans grief, but lmao I have to tip my hat here

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...na-state-wolfpack-fans-one-day-ncaa-sanctions

Many N.C. State fans stopped their "Wolf! Pack!" chant during Syracuse's starting lineups long enough to strongly boo Boeheim when he was introduced.

Then others sang the chorus from the Village People's song "YMCA" during Syracuse's early possessions.

This needs to happen every game Cuse plays, with or without Boeheim, until that uberdouche finally skulks away to retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom