Boeheim issues statement | The Boneyard

Boeheim issues statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First, whichever public relations firm decided that they'd base their defense in the length of time the investigation took needs to be fired. It's like me shooting my neighbor and then blaming him for lingering in the bullet's flight path.

Syracuse self-reported violations in 2007 and then took nearly three years to do their own investigation. And then they kept breaking rules after that. It's really kind of amazing to see them all so bent about the time line when it benefitted them tremendously...which is why they sought to drag it out.

They managed to get into the ACC, make a Final Four, having a 900 win ceremony, etc., in large part because they went four corners on the NCAA.

So stick it, kids. You ain't the victim.

Back to JB's statement - it's disgusting.

I never thought he was a bad guy even if I had my doubts watching him interact with the media at times. But if he signed off on this, he's a bad egg. If you're a two-time NCAA convict, show some humility - don't pretend some minion and camp counselor somehow hornswoggled lil ol' you and did all those bad things.

This is just gross.

"Initially, I would like to express relief that the NCAA's unparalleled 8-year investigation of the University and the Men's Basketball Program is finally over. As I expressed at the Committee on Infractions Hearing, I acknowledge that violations occurred within the Men's Basketball Program, and as the Head Coach of the Program, I take those violations very seriously.

"That being said, I am disappointed with many of the findings and conclusions as stated in the Infractions Report. The Committee chose to ignore the efforts which I have undertaken over the past 37 years to promote an atmosphere of compliance within the Men's Basketball Program. Instead they chose to focus on the rogue and secretive actions of a former employee of the local YMCA and my former Director of Basketball Operations in order to impose an unprecedented series of penalties upon the University and the Men's Basketball Program.

"Much is made in the Infractions Report regarding the actions of a former employee of the local YMCA. As I explained to the Committee, this individual was not someone who was allowed unique access to the Men's Basketball Program. This was a highly regarded individual who worked for the one most respected organizations in the country. I cannot think of a place where I would rather have my student-athletes spend their free time than a community YMCA. My coaches and I knew and trusted this man, and he was thoroughly vetted by the Office of Athletic Compliance before he was permitted to interact with our student-athletes. If the Committee is correct that this individual abused the trust that had been placed in him by the YMCA, the University, and me, then I am deeply disappointed.

"Much is also made in the Infractions Report regarding alleged academic violations that occurred within the Men's Basketball Program. As the Head Coach of the Program, I demand academic excellence from my student-athletes. However, under NCAA rules, I am not permitted to intervene in academic matters nor am I permitted to review academic work performed by student-athletes.

"In short, I am disappointed with the Infractions Report. At this time, however, I will have no further comment on this matter as I consider my options moving forward."

Good luck with the appeal, coach.

Screen-Shot-2013-10-17-at-20.13.54.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We'll see if he gets any blow back on it. It is a common strategy to question the integrity of the process. I think UConn would have been better served it adopted this approach than just to fall on its sword. It's not classy, but it is effective.

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Boeheim is Jerry Tarkanian with a better publicist.

Reaction Score
A majority of the Cuse fanbase thinks Jimmy's statement reeks of sh__ so that says something. I'd anyone wants to check out their infection message board, I'll PM you my login.

Edit. I can't remember what "infection" was an auto correct for, but I think it fits.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have good friends who are life-long Syracuse fans - I know some will turn themselves inside out defending him, but more simply want him to go away.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
The guy has put a Grand Canyon sized chasm between himself and the program. It seems.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The guy has put a Grand Canyon sized chasm between himself and the program. It seems.

He is the program. Just ask him.

Reaction Score
His legacy is probably gone. He can't stick around long enough for the sanctions to end so he will leave while still under penalty.
He won't enter a packed arena of fans bowing to him as JC does now. He probably won't come out at all. I don't think he was hit as hard as he could have been but he has no easy way out. It caught up with. People get what they deserve.

Reaction Score
Boeheim is an . But he's cut from the same cloth as Jimmy C (in attitude, not...moral standards or whatever).

Wouldn't have expected anything different from his response.

The sanctions don't matter. They're harsh enough, deep down we knew there would be no additional tournament bans. But even if there were Syracuse is safe in a strong conference.

Just glad that this ensures he'll never reach 1,000 official wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
He should be gone, that statement is dumber than dirt. You basically take your punishment and shut up in this situation. Put out a statement that mistakes were made and as head coach that rests at my feet and we will be a million times better going forward.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I cannotthink of a place where I would ratherhave my student-athletes spend their free time than a community YMCA.

Well, being that half your players can't pass classes, I'd say a library would probably be a better place.

Reaction Score
university and basketball program be damned! he just wants those wins back for himself. Already somehow managed to keep the NC with a bogus statute of limitations deal for May 4...3 years after the infractions began

Reaction Score
Not taking this like a man. Blame it all on something else but himself. Found his message a load of garbage. Should definitely be banned the following year in the end got off fairly light and Ncaa might accept a lesser penalty after appeal.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I'm sure he was picking his nose when he wrote that statement. He needs to retire and let someone else rebuild the program. They have four 4 star recruits signed for 2015. I hope they back out. Sadly, the NCAA will end up reducing the number of scholarship losses and give back the wins the same way they did for Penn State and Joe Paterno.

Reaction Score
"In short, I am disappointed with the Infractions Report. At this time, however, I will have no further comment on this matter as I consider my options moving forward."
Left or right nostril first, and where to retire? Other than those 3 options, ...?

Reaction Score
Jim Boeheim is coward and took zero accountability. Lets not forget his post season bans in the 90's for massive recruiting violations. All in all I believe he is by far one of the dirtiest coaches ever. You got caught Jimmy, take it like a man and hang it up.

Reaction Score
Also, I believe they got off way too easy. The post season ban should be next season, and the reduction in scholarships should go into affect for this recruiting class.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Boeheim should have sent Bernie to the YMCA to keep an eye on things.

Reaction Score
Don't care about the 9 suspended ACC games next year nor do I care about the 108 wins they take away from his now pitiful legacy. The loss of 12 scholarships in 4 years may burden them so that's good, but they get to keep intact the class they have coming in and play in the tourney NEXT year after these findings we made at this point of THIS year? Not happy with that - they should have said a while ago these kids can go this year of they make it and no for next year. Then they would be "penalized" as they should be, but watching kids jump off the ship!

He's a and he gets to coach a real good team again next year so there's something wrong with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom