Bob Diaco | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Bob Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ah, Io parlo un po italiano. L'anna scorso Io ho studiato a Firenze per 4 mese.

Bella Firenze. Non si usa il pronome usualmente. Si dice "parlo un po....." e "ho studiato....."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Never lived in Italy (I do own a place in Rome howver and have been there many times) and never looked too closely at spelling while I was there but if you are correct and paesano does not translate to peasant I will look up my HS Italian teacher (who I haven't seen since 1976) and renew an argument that I had with him ~ 38 years ago.

I'm not saying it doesn't mean peasant because it does but as in the English language, in Italian, words can have multiple meanings depending on the context in which the word is used. Nevertheless, it is a second language to me so I checked and could not find any word "paisan" in my Italian dictionary. There are countless dialects in Italy, some only spoken by a single hill town, paisan could be a word in one of them but who knows what it means.

Reaction Score
With all due respect I don't need to look it up. I lived there for several years and can speak the language. Paesano comes from paese meaning country and means someone from your country or countryman. Makes sense within the context that it used doesn't it? It can also mean peasant depending on the context.

I do not believe "paisan" is an actual, proper word in the Italian language but rather is American slang/misspelling derived possibly from a regional dialect. Again, from having lived there I can tell you that when someone wants to refer to a fellow countryman they say "paesano".

My grandfather was from Sicily. In his dialect the last vowel was not pronounced. I often find myself confused on this issue. In recent years I have taken too adding the last vowel, but it seems strange.

Reaction Score
Excited about this hire. But why do people keep thinking Diaco and TJ worked together? Diaco was at Cinci in 2009 only. TJ got to Cinci in 2010. Maybe TJ ends up staying on the staff, but it won't be because the two of them coached together.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I hope people chill and give this guy the year to get his systems in place. No freak out next year. Guy needs time to build it.

By the way, what is postseason TV money? I don't even understand what that means.
Personally I expect UConn to be bowl eligible at the bare minimum next year. We'll see which teams we get in conference play on the road, I think we could get Cincy, Temple, USF at home this year since we played at their places and they're sorta traditional foes. Stony Brook and Army should be automatic w's (thank the heavens P isn't around to duck* that up anymore), so really Diaco needs to get at least 4 more wins on top of that. I think that's a reasonable expectation.

Postseason TV money would be an appearance / payday in the contract bowls (winning the AAC and beating out the top MWC team), though I don't know how much of that (maybe all) gets distributed through the conference.

Reaction Score
Personally I expect UConn to be bowl eligible at the bare minimum next year. We'll see which teams we get in conference play on the road, I think we could get Cincy, Temple, USF at home this year since we played at their places and they're sorta traditional foes. Stony Brook and Army should be automatic w's (thank the heavens P isn't around to f* that up anymore), so really Diaco needs to get at least 4 more wins on top of that. I think that's a reasonable expectation.

Postseason TV money would be an appearance / payday in the contract bowls (winning the AAC and beating out the top MWC team), though I don't know how much of that (maybe all) gets distributed through the conference.

Postseason bowl money goes to the conference, and the team loses by traveling. In other words, UConn hasn't been losing money by sitting out bowl season the last few years.

We're asking a lot of Diaco. The OL needs work, we lose Smallwood and the DLs. Lots of work to be done.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Postseason bowl money goes to the conference, and the team loses by traveling. In other words, UConn hasn't been losing money by sitting out bowl season the last few years.

We're asking a lot of Diaco. The OL needs work, we lose Smallwood and the DLs. Lots of work to be done.
Isn't the payout for the new contract bowls bigger than the BCS? Do they still require the school to eat 20k-whatever tickets?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Really pleased with this hire. He wasn't my first choice going in, but he's an Italian named D coordinator from a school in B1G country, so I'll take it! Sincerely trust that Warde has talked to these guys and knows who can come to Storrs and make an impact. Diaco is young, so if by some miracle we do land in a better conference, there is no reason he can't be the Jim Calhoun of UConn football.

Reaction Score
Isn't the payout for the new contract bowls bigger than the BCS? Do they still require the school to eat 20k-whatever tickets?

I have no idea. That's why I was asking. I wasn't paying any attention to it.

Reaction Score
Personally I expect UConn to be bowl eligible at the bare minimum next year. We'll see which teams we get in conference play on the road, I think we could get Cincy, Temple, USF at home this year since we played at their places and they're sorta traditional foes. Stony Brook and Army should be automatic w's (thank the heavens P isn't around to f* that up anymore), so really Diaco needs to get at least 4 more wins on top of that. I think that's a reasonable expectation.

Well, you'll probably be ready to can this guy after next season (or during it). I would take 6-7 wins next season in a heartbeat. There are huge holes to fill next season.

pj

Reaction Score
I really don't know yet who JH is looking to get but I'll keep you informed!Want to have some fun? I PMed you a few minutes ago about how RU's rivals board is blowing up at the hire of their favored son Haha check out the comments?The news moved like wildfire in NJ! Good for you guyz my friend!

Must have PMed someone else, I didn't get it. Glad to beat Rutgers to the punch though! And BC, I like Diaco a lot better than the Dazzler!

Reaction Score
I like this hire. Good guy, good pedigree, outstanding defensive coach. Here's the one thing that concerns me. If he was hired for his recruiting prowess, it was a mistake. Unlike the hockey hire, which was similar in many ways, we absolutely need a coach who can coach guys up. Because of the AAC affiliation it will be tougher to recruit and more critical to identify potential and develop players. If he can do that or if he can assemble a staff that can do that, he will be a very successful hire. If he relies strictly on recruiting, it will be less successful. But bottom line is I think this was a very nice get. Comparable to Narduzzi in many ways.

Reaction Score
"We’re interested in building a unit that loves each other (and) loves being with their teammates and coaches and coaches with their players," Diaco explained. "We’re interested in building a player that understands that the minute he decelerates and takes a second to pat himself on the back somebody’s gonna pass him immediately by. "We’re interested in creating players and developing players that just love hard work. They bring the same energy to every task – we talk about it all the time."

Kevin Ollie or Bob Diaco?

Reaction Score
Must have PMed someone else, I didn't get it. Glad to beat Rutgers to the punch though! And BC, I like Diaco a lot better than the Dazzler!
Pardon my aging memory Haha....yeah I think it was Ct Mike? I had you in my mind too but in the excitement I must have "forgot" ha ha..have you checked the RU rivals thread comments sec?Man their jealous!LOL...

Reaction Score
If we got 3 wins in this cluster frick season, and Tulsa, Tulane and ECU are joining next year...how is it not possible to get 3 more wins?

An improving offense will more than cover a rebuilding defense.

A secret was exposed this year by TJ. We have a QB that is extremely accurate with the short and intermediate throws. A refurbished OL only needs to count to 3 before the ball gets released.

If we can't win 6 games next year in this league than Diaco pulled a PP (no pun intended) and did not take advantage of what we have and tried to rebuild something that just needed to be adjusted.

UCF, Cincy and Houston....then who?

Diaco walked into a build on, not a rebuild.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
sportsart said:
That's what he said...

image-2344800167.jpg

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see the semi-short-term effect of this hire. Based on me, the fan base will be re-energized:

1. Now considering taking the plunge for season tix
2. I registered for the-boneyard.com

That's got to be worth something.

Reaction Score
If we got 3 wins in this cluster frick season, and Tulsa, Tulane and ECU are joining next year...how is it not possible to get 3 more wins?

A secret was exposed this year by TJ. We have a QB that is extremely accurate with the short and intermediate throws. A refurbished OL only needs to count to 3 before the ball gets released.

If we can't win 6 games next year in this league than Diaco pulled a PP (no pun intended) and did not take advantage of what we have and tried to rebuild something that just needed to be adjusted.

I agree with this outlook. I think this is a decent enough team with the potential to be competitive fairly quickly. Not expecting 12-0 but 6-6, 7-5 is a more than reasonable goal.

Reaction Score

Answers: less talent, East Carolina is good, much depends on the draw since every team will not play every other.

Reaction Score
Answers: less talent, East Carolina is good, much depends on the draw since every team will not play every other.

I agree ECU is a good team. In an 11 team league, even if we played Cincy, UCF, ECU and UH and lost all 4 games, is it not possible we could go 4-4 is a weak conference and end up 6-6?

We are better at home and have Boise St, Stoney Brook, Army and BYU as OOC games (all at home).

If we can't win 6 games it's a fail.

Reaction Score
So, after reading all the links provided in this thread, and comments by ND fans, many mentioned that his D was "bend don't break". Anyone else notice that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom