Blaudschun: UConn Switching BC Home Game to Fenway? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Blaudschun: UConn Switching BC Home Game to Fenway?

Reaction Score
Meh, I'd like to hear the numbers before bashing the decision. Plus, people like those types of games. They offer good exposure and media coverage.

We'll put in a good showing at Fenway. I may fly in for one or two nights for it simply because it is so easy. No need for a rental car etc.

Wait -- you want facts before you criticize decision makers? Go away. You clearly don't understand how the Boneyard works at all.

Reaction Score
The upside: promotes football in New England in a bigger venue

The downside: getting UConn fans in CT to travel up to Fenway when they have little/no interest of even showing up at the Rent.

Reaction Score
I can't be upset about this. For one, we're not going to fill the Rent next season. So we might as well get more revenue out of this important game somehow.

Reaction Score

The downside: getting UConn fans in CT to travel up to Fenway when they have little/no interest of even showing up at the Rent.
Or, to counter your downside --- thousands of UConn fans that would not go to a game at The Rent go to the game at Fenway because Fenway is cooler than The Rent. :)

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Other than getting a check, none of us would be at our jobs right now. So your point is that money influences decisions?

Thank you. Very enlightening.

Yeah. We'd be at home spending hours on the boneyard

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

We have bball fans rocking MSG, tons of fball fans at Yankee stadium last year and when we play in Philly or Boston we show out. It'll be fine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fine by me. Make it an annual game. If Georgia and Florida can play in Jacksonville every year and Texas and Oklahoma can play at the State Fair every year, certainly Boston College and UConn can play in Fenway every year.

Yes, that's fine, but not in Fenway. It sucks for football. Absolutely terrible. Bad sight lines and no parking. So UConn is badly disadvantaged from a fan perspective. Play BC in an annual, neutral site game, but do it at Gillette. Make it like Florida-UGA in Jacksonville.

Reaction Score
My last post on the subject. Caronimo's rants are a little over the top but a lot of people are upset about this because it sounds like something UMass should be doing, not UConn. Secondly the mere fact that we are focusing on a divisive issue like this throws a cold bucket of water on what should be a day focused on something really positive. It's a PR fail that this is even a topic today but it seems consistent with our inability to control any narrative that puts us in a good light. This on the other hand reeks of weakness vs BC and ignoring the fans in SW CT. I hope it doesn't happen or at least they have some innovative plans to build our Football fanbase throughout Connecticut. Basketball is a different story based on the old BE Tourney so we need an effort that prioritizes CT and NY State that doesn't include sacrificing home games. Just one opinion. It's still a great day (on balance - lol).
Agree with that observation. UConn PR Dept is less than stellar. You don't dump piss on the parade. If you must, make sure it's packaged as lemonade. You have to anticipate the leak scenario also, and have a quick message ready. Just no sense to timing or message control.

Reaction Score

There was a good showing of UConn fans at BC this year. Imagine if UConn was good and/or BC was having a better season!

Fenway is a much better site for visiting fans to see a game in Boston than Alumni Stadium. Easier to get to by public transportation, easier parking if you don't mind walking, and tons of bars within walking distance.

By the way, the UConn game at BC was BC's 2nd highest home attendance of the season:

Wagner: 22.7k
Buffalo: 24.2k
Clemson: 44.5k
Syracuse: 34.6k (homecoming)
Louisville: 30.6k
UConn: 36.2k

Reaction Score
Yes, that's fine, but not in Fenway. It sucks for football. Absolutely terrible. Bad sight lines and no parking. So UConn is badly disadvantaged from a fan perspective. Play BC in an annual, neutral site game, but do it at Gillette. Make it like Florida-UGA in Jacksonville.

Living in the Boston area, Fenway is more accessible than Gillette. Public transportation is easy and it's an easy Uber to the park. And, parking, if your smart and don't mind walking, can be reasonable. Plus, it's more comfortable to do pre and post game in a warm bar!

I just don't think UConn/BC is a big enough draw for Gillette, but I think Fenway could sell out.

I'm excited!

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Hopefully uconn can convince hockey east to schedule the uconn game at BC be that same weekend. Or BU. Or Northeastern.

Reaction Score
So Irish Loop is the crab ragoon guy. LOL - I think I was sitting a few rows in front of you on that bus. Game sucked but the trip was fun.

Hahah sorry. I was pretty wasted and couldn't get it out of my head. For the record, I definitely got some when I went home. I'm pretty sure Tommy Myers' parents also did thanks to me.

Reaction Score
Or, to counter your downside --- thousands of UConn fans that would not go to a game at The Rent go to the game at Fenway because Fenway is cooler than The Rent. :)
Fenway is not a good football venue. Absolutely no tailgating options anywhere, many seats will be obstructed by the players on the bench and media members surrounding the field, many other seats are facing in the opposite direction of one side of the field. It's not as bad as it is for hockey, but the "coolness" of Fenway likely won't draw too many at all. If anything, it'd cause more BC fans to show up. But don't count on tailgating anywhere beyond maybe sitting on your trunk drinking a beer.

Reaction Score
It's a PR fail? Seriously? We did not announce the series. Blauds got info through his sources and ran with a story. What were we supposed to do? Never explore ways to increase revenues because we won't control when the press reports on it? Delay hiring an OC because this might have come out? Steal Blauds home computer? What are we supposed to do to keep a free press from reporting on what a public institution does.

Other than that, I have no problem with someone thinking we need to promote more within Connecticut than turn up to Boston as a theoretical matter. I disagree with it, but it's a reasonable opinion. But I will just ask one question. -- since money makes the world go round, how can you reach a conclusion that this is "small time" without knowing how big the monetary gain was by doing this?

We disagree but I see the other side regardless of the strawmen you've propped up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Don't like it. We're failing in FFC and a lot of fans went to BC for a disaster last year. So we give up a home game to play in a baseball stadium North of the Rent. Better not hear any more complaints about SW CT not supporting the FB team when you take this approach. Our upstate people live in a bubble.

Referring to CT as update and downstate is as small minded as one can get. The entire state of CT is smaller than counties in either state. Worst case scenario of FFC to Boston is 3-3.5 hours. That's a given for 10k+ fans at most football schools.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
You have to be f.cking kidding me. Such f.cking bs. Just when UConn football starts making smart moves they f.ck this up. We are a joke and always will be if we do crap like this. Unreal. Not buying season tickets now.

Not sure if serious.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Tailgate?
We can just take over every one of the bars on Lansdowne St before and after the game.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Everyone knows the AAC contract? Right? Right.

Everyone knows we are running a huge subsidy.

We forked over $3.50M to fire a head coach and then signed on Edsall and an up and comer SEC OC to come up here.

The AD clearly ran the numbers and this makes sense financially for UConn.

That's just the facts.

Reaction Score
Exactly how everyone on this board should feel. Angry. How can some be okay with this? BC gets a home game last year and this year and some are okay with this?? To those of you who agrees with this, do you know what home field advantage is?

All that has to happen for home field advantage is for the fans to show up. More butts in the seats for UCONN than the other team makes it an advantage no matter where the game is.

Reaction Score
Referring to CT as update and downstate is as small minded as one can get. The entire state of CT is smaller than counties in either state. Worst case scenario of FFC to Boston is 3-3.5 hours. That's a given for 10k+ fans at most football schools.

Are we really comparable to "most football schools"? If we were we wouldn't be having this discussion. The point is what can we do to get our fans to home games and generate stronger interest throughout the state. Moving a home game to Boston seems counter-productive. It's not my fault more people from this part of the state aren't showing up I've tried to get them to. But to dismiss them and act like there's no problem is, um small minded?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom