Blaudschun: UConn Switching BC Home Game to Fenway? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Blaudschun: UConn Switching BC Home Game to Fenway?

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
I look forward to another Ryan Phalen-led bus trip where I get too drunk and piss off a players' parents by talking about crab rangoon the whole ride home.

So Irish Loop is the crab ragoon guy. LOL - I think I was sitting a few rows in front of you on that bus. Game sucked but the trip was fun.

Reaction Score
If UConn doesn't get a cut of the concessions at the rent, then that is where a place like Fenway can find extra money to pay us even if ticket sales are similar at the two venues.
That actually is a great bargaining tactic when you think about it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@PopcornHatKid @Husky25 @huskymedic

The point of the quote isn't whether NESN would carry the game, it is the "what does UConn get out of it" portion.

I suspect @PopcornHatKid may be right as to the reason, although that would be a very pessimistic position from AD Dave.

On edit:

Perhaps Subba is right as well:
If UConn doesn't get a cut of the concessions at the rent, then that is where a place like Fenway can find extra money to pay us even if ticket sales are similar at the two venues.

Reaction Score
From Blauds article:
What I don’t get is what UConn gets out of this. A guaranteed NESN spot?

How does this make us more money, unless they are anticipating a bad turnout at the rent?
Fenway/IMG is paying UConn in some regard to hold the game there. Unclear what the amount is, but it might be FOIA-able at some point. I'm sure UConn will get some level of the gate as well in addition to merchandise sales. Like the ND-BC game last year, the game will be a UConn home game with UConn painted on the field and probably banners on the Green Monster, etc.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fenway/IMG is paying UConn in some regard to hold the game there. Unclear what the amount is, but it might be FOIA-able at some point. I'm sure UConn will get some level of the gate as well in addition to merchandise sales. Like the ND-BC game last year, the game will be a UConn home game with UConn painted on the field and probably banners on the Green Monster, etc.
If all correct that would be great, depending on amount.

Reaction Score
If all correct that would be great, depending on amount.
It would be, but at this point we of course don't know. I do know that as part of the ND-BC matchup, ND controlled the VAST majority of the ticket sales. I don't know the exact number, but BC only received the proportion of tickets an away team usually gets for an away game. There were many BC fans complaining they couldn't get a ticket because there were so few available. Now, of course that was a Shamrock Series game and it's ND so they have a lot more pull. But hopefull AD Dave negotiated a deal on this so that UConn gets to control 75%+ of the tickets and gets the revenue after Fenway takes their cut.

Reaction Score
I'm going to try for GREEN MONSTER seats if they are for sale.
Have fun with that, those tickets will be the best view in the whole place and will go for $250+ apiece most likely. There's also only about 250 seats up there.

Reaction Score
It would be, but at this point we of course don't know. I do know that as part of the ND-BC matchup, ND controlled the VAST majority of the ticket sales. I don't know the exact number, but BC only received the proportion of tickets an away team usually gets for an away game. There were many BC fans complaining they couldn't get a ticket because there were so few available. Now, of course that was a Shamrock Series game and it's ND so they have a lot more pull. But hopefull AD Dave negotiated a deal on this so that UConn gets to control 75%+ of the tickets and gets the revenue after Fenway takes their cut.

Just to be clear, I doubt BC has anything to say about the terms of the contract between UConn and Fenway. BC has its rights (including as to ticket allocation) in its contract with UConn. What is painted on the field -- what the ticket prices are -- how Fenway markets them -- who gets concession royalties -- are all matters that will be set forth in the contract.

And yes, the contract will be discoverable under FOIA and yes, you can bet the Courant will in due course let us know what they are.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
This only makes sense if it greases the wheels for a longer-term plan.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, I doubt BC has anything to say about the terms of the contract between UConn and Fenway. BC has its rights (including as to ticket allocation) in its contract with UConn. What is painted on the field -- what the ticket prices are -- how Fenway markets them -- who gets concession royalties -- are all matters that will be set forth in the contract.

And yes, the contract will be discoverable under FOIA and yes, you can bet the Courant will in due course let us know what they are.
Right, this is a deal between UConn and Fenway. BC is likely not more than a peripheral participant in what went into making this happen.

Reaction Score
Let's see all the details come out before we freak out.... what if in turn for putting the first and second games of the series in Fenway that we get the next two at the Rent?? I would sign up for going up to Fenway and hopefully winning there for all to see (after all, winning is what REALLY matters now that we have to regain our place in the FBS pecking order; although might be tougher considering our coaching staff will not have much tenure taking over for the previous staff's well lit dumpster fire) and then seeing two more wins at the Rent (wins are more likely in their second/third years of tenure than their first, I admit). Fingers crossed. Go (Huskies getting out of the dumpster fire) UConn!

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
This is the best news I've heard today! We already own MSG for basketball - if we pack Fenway with National Flag Blue and White, we will show that UCONN the power-school in our region of the country. PLUS, we will have a blast in Boston. PLUS PLUS, we get a larger payout. PLUS PLUS PLUS, we may convince BC to do this annually which will improve our football profile (assuming we ever play BC competitively). This is good all around.

Reaction Score
Three posts on this having generated not one immediate like. A more self-reflective person might stop posting and ask themselves why almost no one is agreeing with them.

My last post on the subject. Caronimo's rants are a little over the top but a lot of people are upset about this because it sounds like something UMass should be doing, not UConn. Secondly the mere fact that we are focusing on a divisive issue like this throws a cold bucket of water on what should be a day focused on something really positive. It's a PR fail that this is even a topic today but it seems consistent with our inability to control any narrative that puts us in a good light. This on the other hand reeks of weakness vs BC and ignoring the fans in SW CT. I hope it doesn't happen or at least they have some innovative plans to build our Football fanbase throughout Connecticut. Basketball is a different story based on the old BE Tourney so we need an effort that prioritizes CT and NY State that doesn't include sacrificing home games. Just one opinion. It's still a great day (on balance - lol).

Reaction Score
Have fun with that, those tickets will be the best view in the whole place and will go for $250+ apiece most likely. There's also only about 250 seats up there.

My gut feeling and I hope I am right is that there will be a feeding frenzy on tickets. If UConn has a miracle season going it will be chaos up there.

Reaction Score
Meh, I'd like to hear the numbers before bashing the decision. Plus, people like those "spectacle" games. They offer good exposure and media coverage because of the unique setting.

We'll put in a good showing at Fenway. I may fly in for one or two nights for it simply because it is so easy. No need for a rental car etc.

Reaction Score
Looking around, it seemed that BC got a typical "visiting team" 5000 seat allotment when ND was home team

Reaction Score
My last post on the subject. Caronimo's rants are a little over the top but a lot of people are upset about this because it sounds like something UMass should be doing, not UConn. Secondly the mere fact that we are focusing on a divisive issue like this throws a cold bucket of water on what should be a day focused on something really positive. It's a PR fail that this is even a topic today but it seems consistent with our inability to control any narrative that puts us in a good light. This on the other hand reeks of weakness vs BC and ignoring the fans in SW CT. I hope it doesn't happen or at least they have some innovative plans to build our Football fanbase throughout Connecticut. Basketball is a different story based on the old BE Tourney so we need an effort that prioritizes CT and NY State that doesn't include sacrificing home games. Just one opinion. It's still a great day (on balance - lol).

It's a PR fail? Seriously? We did not announce the series. Blauds got info through his sources and ran with a story. What were we supposed to do? Never explore ways to increase revenues because we won't control when the press reports on it? Delay hiring an OC because this might have come out? Steal Blauds home computer? What are we supposed to do to keep a free press from reporting on what a public institution does.

Other than that, I have no problem with someone thinking we need to promote more within Connecticut than turn up to Boston as a theoretical matter. I disagree with it, but it's a reasonable opinion. But I will just ask one question. -- since money makes the world go round, how can you reach a conclusion that this is "small time" without knowing how big the monetary gain was by doing this?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom