Blaudschun thinks Delaney has eyes on New England | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Blaudschun thinks Delaney has eyes on New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
VTech's loyalty to the ACC is starting to firm up.

It's president has spoken to Swofford and affirmed their loyalty.

I still say Big 10 won't enter VA or NC because of competition.

Another thing about UVA. They just went thru a horrific Board of whatever they call their trustees fight. As bad as politics get in academia.

That, combined with MD's way out, leaves no appetite to roil the campus further, and provide a pathway to NC. Since it's s few hours closer to christmas, it's getting clearer that UConn is in the Big 10 plans.

Reaction Score

Another thing about UVA. They just went thru a horrific Board of whatever they call their trustees fight. As bad as politics get in academia.

That, combined with MD's way out, leaves no appetite to roil the campus further, and provide a pathway to NC. Since it's s few hours closer to christmas, it's getting clearer that UConn is in the Big 10 plans.

So, you're saying VT is the first one out the door?

The fight in Virginia tells me it's MORE likely to leave. The fight was over the state legislature cutting funds to U. Va., and forcing classes online.

Reaction Score
No, VTech's President Steger reportedly told Swofford VTech isn't leaving.

I thought the coup/fight was deeper, about direction of humanities.

Reaction Score
So, you're saying VT is the first one out the door?

The fight in Virginia tells me it's MORE likely to leave. The fight was over the state legislature cutting funds to U. Va., and forcing classes online.

No, the fight was about a small cadre of the Board of Trustees ousting the President.

When considering states with 2 state schools in play (Virginia, North Carolina) it's important not to underestimate state politics. The state government put huge pressure on UVA to make sure Va Tech made it into the ACC. It's going to be very hard for UVA, Va Tech, UNC or NC State to do anything quickly, and it's going to be hard for 1 state school to make a move period if the other state school is left in the lurch.

Reaction Score
you must have lived in Boston a long time ago...
395 is barely a highway in MA... It becomes 290 just south of Worcester. I think you might have meant 495 which goes around Boston... But I would say that most locals in Boston would say the line is more like 128...

Ha yeah, 495 not 395, I lived there less than 5 years ago but that is how it was. Hartford might as well been on another planet. I'll always have a soft spot for Boston but they isolate themselves like none other.

Reaction Score
No, VTech's President Steger reportedly told Swofford VTech isn't leaving.

I thought the coup/fight was deeper, about direction of humanities.

Yes, in other words, VT is out the door.

The fight was purely about ramping up a highly profitable online school.

Reaction Score
No, the fight was about a small cadre of the Board of Trustees ousting the President.

When considering states with 2 state schools in play (Virginia, North Carolina) it's important not to underestimate state politics. The state government put huge pressure on UVA to make sure Va Tech made it into the ACC. It's going to be very hard for UVA, Va Tech, UNC or NC State to do anything quickly, and it's going to be hard for 1 state school to make a move period if the other state school is left in the lurch.

And why did that fight happen? Because the President told the Chair of the Board of Trustees that she was not going to install her pet project, a ridiculous online school. U. Virginia is the worldwide leader in digital education. They know more about how it works, how info is presented, what is effective, what is a ripoff and a waste of money, how databases are constructed, etc. There is no other school in the world better at this sort of stuff than U. Virginia. So along comes this trustee (who has absolutely no expertise in this field) and demands a highly profitable online school ala U. Phoenix. The President tells her that she will not go along with that, and she is then fired.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score

Think that's why the people who play fantasy realignment on Twitter have UVA-UNC to the B1G and Hokies-NCSU to the SEC. Nice and easy! Because realignment always happens nicely and easily.

Reaction Score
While I've beaten this horse to death, I still think that VA and NC don't present the Big 10 with a near monopoly on the state.

The Big 10 is successful because it has schools that dominate the entire state. In Virginia, as soon as they take UVA, VTech is now hosting Alabama, Georgia, Florida. Big 10 wants no part of that fight. Without UVA, no UNC, plus UNC would have NC State to battle.

So since the Big 10 went east, what is open territory?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

"It's president has spoken to Swofford and affirmed their loyalty."

You mean like Herbst did last year when Cuse/Pitt left? I appreciate your optimism though....

Reaction Score
And why did that fight happen? Because the President told the Chair of the Board of Trustees that she was not going to install her pet project, a ridiculous online school. U. Virginia is the worldwide leader in digital education. They know more about how it works, how info is presented, what is effective, what is a ripoff and a waste of money, how databases are constructed, etc. There is no other school in the world better at this sort of stuff than U. Virginia. So along comes this trustee (who has absolutely no expertise in this field) and demands a highly profitable online school ala U. Phoenix. The President tells her that she will not go along with that, and she is then fired.

That's right. It was an internal dispute between some Trustees and the President, the legislature really wasn't involved. I guess I'm not following why you think the dispute makes UVA more likely to leave the ACC.

Reaction Score
While I've beaten this horse to death, I still think that VA and NC don't present the Big 10 with a near monopoly on the state.

The Big 10 is successful because it has schools that dominate the entire state. In Virginia, as soon as they take UVA, VTech is now hosting Alabama, Georgia, Florida. Big 10 wants no part of that fight. Without UVA, no UNC, plus UNC would have NC State to battle.

So since the Big 10 went east, what is open territory?

Michigan and Michigan St., Purdue and Indiana, Illinois and Northwestern. Half the conference comes from states with multiple teams.

Reaction Score
That's right. It was an internal dispute between some Trustees and the President, the legislature really wasn't involved. I guess I'm not following why you think the dispute makes UVA more likely to leave the ACC.

Because of budget cuts and the fact that the online thing was an attempt to make money, shave expenses, etc. Virginia too is looking at cutting programs.

Reaction Score
Michigan and Michigan St., Purdue and Indiana, Illinois and Northwestern. Half the conference comes from states with multiple teams.

I'm writing of the Big 10 in the aggregate. Those teams are all in the Big 10, so the Big 10 has a monopoly on the state, so that buttresses my premise. Monopolization of a state is a hallmark of the Big 10. As noted above, some small exceptions (IA State, Pitt, Cincy) but these are pesky threats.

A team like Virginia Tech threatens UVA.

Would the Big 10 want to go into a southern culture with the weaker team? That question answers itself. That's why UNC and Va Tech are nonstarters. GTech even worse-further south and deeeeep into UGA territory.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I think buttresses might be my new favorite word.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

I'm writing of the Big 10 in the aggregate. Those teams are all in the Big 10, so the Big 10 has a monopoly on the state, so that buttresses my premise. Monopolization of a state is a hallmark of the Big 10. As noted above, some small exceptions (IA State, Pitt, Cincy) but these are pesky threats.

Would the Big 10 want to go into a southern culture with the weaker team? That question answers itself. That's why UNC and Va Tech are nonstarters. GTech even worse-further south and deeeeep into UGA territory.

Market expansion. 3 conferences accomplish that with:

B1G: UNC / UVA
SEC: NCST / VTCH
B12: ND/FLST/CLEM/GTCH/LSVL/BYU

Reaction Score

U. Virginia is not the equivalent of Pittsburgh and Iowa St. It is something quite different compared to Va. tech.

Reaction Score
If Delaney is looking at New England, it's for his retirement home on Martha's Vineyard.

5 yrs ago I could believe they would look at BC. But not now.

Reaction Score
upstater, I think we're getting our signals mixed.

UVA and UNC are hypothetical targets of the Big 10. So UVA would be your Iowa and VTech would be your Iowa State (or UVA your Penn State and VTech your Pitt).

That's why UVA is a no go from the Big 10's perspective.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Because of budget cuts and the fact that the online thing was an attempt to make money, shave expenses, etc. Virginia too is looking at cutting programs.
You mean they are having financial issues? Like Maryland and Rutgers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom