Blaudschun thinks Delaney has eyes on New England | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Blaudschun thinks Delaney has eyes on New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
somebody has to convince me that Notre Dame want to be in the Big 10. Location is one thing, but they are a pretty small fish to be competing day in day out with behemoths like Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State...and they have higher academic standards...I know Michigan is a very highly rated school, but when you've got 35,000 undergrads you can always find a place for someone who is borderline but can run or throw. when you have 9000 undergrads, it isn't as easy. In many non-geographic extents, Notre Dame is a good fit in the ACC, especially the ACC as expanded. Games in the Northeast, Florida appeal to the subway alumni, but with programs that have similar academic profiles.

Reaction Score
somebody has to convince me that Notre Dame want to be in the Big 10. Location is one thing, but they are a pretty small fish to be competing day in day out with behemoths like Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State...and they have higher academic standards...I know Michigan is a very highly rated school, but when you've got 35,000 undergrads you can always find a place for someone who is borderline but can run or throw. when you have 9000 undergrads, it isn't as easy. In many non-geographic extents, Notre Dame is a good fit in the ACC, especially the ACC as expanded. Games in the Northeast, Florida appeal to the subway alumni, but with programs that have similar academic profiles.

Because they already voted to join the B10.

This is why they are using the ACC.

They want to maintain independence.

It's all a sham.

Reaction Score

I think it's a bad piece.

To downplay the money as though it's not needed is to stick to a sportscentric view of the universe. These are academic institutions subsidizing sports.

One could argue that it's ONLY about the money.

The beauty of this for administrators is that the money gets alumni and trustees and politicians off their back.

Say what? You want a different coach? OK, fine. Whatever.

For the administrators, it just doesn't matter anymore. They cans top bleeding from the academic side. Do whatever you want over there in the ADs office. I don't care!!!!

And this is how it will be. When it comes to the superconferences, the average football record for each school will be .500, just like the NFL.

Reaction Score
Syracuse and its #82 DMA and 4 fans are an afterthought to the Big 10. NY isn't now, nor will it ever be, captured by any team or group of teams.

BC is at least located near Boston.

This is off in left field, and I think I stated it elsewhere, but the ND/UConn at Fenway thing realky hammered home how much UConn was NE'S team.

This came about right when ND started talking with MD. That kind of genuine excitement about a college game in New England didn't go unnoticed.

Reaction Score
Everyone talks about the B10 going after TVs. Very few people talk about the B10 going after talent. The B10 needs to win national championships in football to drive those TV eyeballs.

Maryland, New Jersey, Virginia, North Carolina. These states are important to the B10.
Between MD and Boston you have roughly 40M people or approx. 15% of the entire US Population.
Taking Rutgers and MD gives you a big chunk... But it leaves NYC and north with the ACC (assuming Uconn goes to ACC)...

Delaney's next move either goes south after UNC and Virginia or north after New England (BC/Uconn)...
He could split the approach and take one of UNC or Virginia matched with one of BC or Uconn.

Assuming ND is not in the equation, what combination provides the most population/TV's? The trick is, you can't base that decision on today's demographics, but the demographics in 10-20 years.

Reaction Score
I hope you're being sarcastic, while there isn't overt hatred for the south, it is certainly not well-liked in Boston. If BC went B1G and joined B1G hockey, I'd cry. And frankly, so would BC hockey fans.

I lived in Boston and I don't agree with that at all. Anything outside of 395 doesn't exist. It is all north shore/south shore BS and the south might as well be Foxwoods or Mohegan. There isn't any kind of dislike of the south, it doesn't even appear on their radar.

Reaction Score
No need to be overly dramatic. I didn't like the P hiring, but to pretend that everyone in the football world didn't know who a guy who was a coordinator for the Cowboys, and prior to that the winningnest coach in Big East history, was is frankly dumb.
I think you read what I typed and not what I meant...
As a cowboy fan, I am well aware of who P was before coming to Uconn. I think the next coach needs to be a big time coach, in their prime, and not just one approved by the CT HS coaches...
P was a local guy first with NFL experience and prior success in college. We need to focus less on the 'local' aspect next time around.

Reaction Score
I think you read what I typed and not what I meant...
As a cowboy fan, I am well aware of who P was before coming to Uconn. I think the next coach needs to be a big time coach, in their prime, and not just one approved by the CT HS coaches...
P was a local guy first with NFL experience and prior success in college. We need to focus less on the 'local' aspect next time around.

It doesn't need to be a "big time" coach - it just needs to be a coach that can win! Names mean poopy.

Reaction Score
I lived in Boston and I don't agree with that at all. Anything outside of 395 doesn't exist. It is all north shore/south shore BS and the south might as well be Foxwoods or Mohegan. There isn't any kind of dislike of the south, it doesn't even appear on their radar.
you must have lived in Boston a long time ago...
395 is barely a highway in MA... It becomes 290 just south of Worcester. I think you might have meant 495 which goes around Boston... But I would say that most locals in Boston would say the line is more like 128...

Reaction Score
Sorry if already posted - and I apologize to our future conference mates in the B1G if I am letting something out of the bag - but the NE play should be UConn and the Cuse now w/ an open invite to BC as #17 if ND is #18.

ND is above it all until the final slots are ready to be filled. 15-16 may not concern them. By the time you get to 17-18 the music is about to stop.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
pfft, Braintree is the south, Worcester is the midwest and Springfield is the west coast.

There's the I-95 crowd who think only one highway exists. I-95/128 North will get you to Portland if you like looking at provincials, and it will take you to Providence and then on to New Haven if you have to gamble or pee on the way to NYC.

There is no Springfield. Worcester is something their mother warned them about. Like getting VD.

Sometimes a bus or train goes through Hartford. This is OK because you can piss from the Amtrak Station on to Aslyum Avenue and water the natives. Don't eat the food there.

New Yorkers are queer because some take the Tappan Zee/I-84 route to Stockbridge which is still a Colonial town with outhouses and they cook in kettles. New Yorkers call that culture.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Meh. I lived in Quincy for a couple years (sorry, that's Quinzee, my bad) and there is general agreement that The South is where barbecue comes from. So it is acknowledged as existing in the Boston metro.

Anyway, so I'm listening my local (Pittsburgh) sports radio and a guy calls in who had the RU/MD a day before it was announced (host remembered the call and prediction) and the caller says his same sources have UNC/VA getting offers from B1G. More potential B.S. to throw on the fire. Or the barbecue if you believe in The South.

Reaction Score
There's the I-95 crowd who think only one highway exists. I-95/128 North will get you to Portland if you like looking at provincials, and it will take you to Providence and then on to New Haven if you have to gamble or pee on the way to NYC.

There is no Springfield. Worcester is something their mother warned them about. Like getting VD.

Sometimes a bus or train goes through Hartford. This is OK because you can piss from the Amtrak Station on to Aslyum Avenue and water the natives. Don't eat the food there.

New Yorkers are queer because some take the Tappan Zee/I-84 route to Stockbridge which is still a Colonial town with outhouses and they cook in kettles. New Yorkers call that culture.
Um.. Sturbridge?

Funny post, well done.

Reaction Score
Anyway, so I'm listening my local (Pittsburgh) sports radio and a guy calls in who had the RU/MD a day before it was announced (host remembered the call and prediction) and the caller says his same sources have UNC/VA getting offers from B1G. More potential B.S. to throw on the fire. Or the barbecue if you believe in The South.

It seems to me if they were going to off them, they'd have done it already. What would they be waiting for? If anything I'd expect it to come out at once to decrease the likelihood of UMD saying no. It seems they wanted to make sure UMD said yes before asking Rutgers, so it was obviously somewhat of a concern. Unless they're waiting to hear an answer to the covert invitation they sent to ND and UConn before inviting UVA and UNC;)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've lived in Boston... never noticed the 'disdain' for anything from the south.
What would be the reason?

Are you kidding? Bostonians have disdain for anybody west of Worchester, but southerners and the south are often viewed as nothing but ignorant rednecks.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? Bostonians have disdain for anybody west of Bentley U, but southerners and the south are often viewed as nothing but ignorant rednecks.

FIFY

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
It seems to me if they were going to off them, they'd have done it already. What would they be waiting for? If anything I'd expect it to come out at once to decrease the likelihood of UMD saying no. It seems they wanted to make sure UMD said yes before asking Rutgers, so it was obviously somewhat of a concern. Unless they're waiting to hear an answer to the covert invitation they sent to ND and UConn before inviting UVA and UNC;)

UNC wants to be able to say, "we weren't the 1st leave". If SEC ready for VTech and NCST, watch out.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? Bostonians have disdain for anybody west of Worchester, but southerners and the south are often viewed as nothing but ignorant rednecks.
First, Bostonians think anything west of Brookline/Newton is too far... I had to convince my wife that Wellesley wasn't that far west.
Second, everyone outside the south thinks the south is a bunch of rednecks... That's not specific to Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom