Blaudschun thinks Delaney has eyes on New England | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Blaudschun thinks Delaney has eyes on New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can’t see UNC going to the BIG for 2 reasons 1) state politics would make it hard for the BIG to grab UNC without grabbing NC State, and 2) UNC alumni would raise hell if their rivalry with Duke ends as that rivalry defines athletics at both schools. UVA is more likely; but, a lot of political capital was spent to pull V Tech into the ACC and to un-wind that may be costly figuratively and literally ($50 million exit fee).
I think the BIG will go south next and take a look at Kansas (AAU), Oklahoma, (not AAU), Missouri (AAU) and Texas (the biggest fish outside of ND and AAU).
The future of the ACC will be clarified if Maryland can or cannot get out of the $50 million exit fee. What could save the conference is ND going full in or, if the long-shot rumors are true, Penn State anger towards the BIG spurs them to jump to the ACC.

Reaction Score
Maybe ND and UConn?

Notre Dame president: "We're really happy in the ACC. But I am concerned about continual instability of this conference situation."
@bradwolverton

Notre Dame is the arsenic of realignment.

Yeah. "I'm really happy in the ACC (although we're still in the BiG East" and "I'm so concerned that we just jumped from the Big East, and now we're considering another jump to the B1G" and "I sure hope everyone comes to their senses and settles down."

Reaction Score
If Delaney wanted BC or Uconn, he could have them at any price... Delaney wants ND. Right now, the barrier is placed at 16. Does that increase at some point? Sure, but right now conventional logic suggests 16 as the upper limit for conference teams. Taking MD was a message to ND... There are now 2 spots left. ND can either side with the ACC and forever say goodbye to the Big10 (at least for a very long time), or decide that this is the last chance to get on the lifeboat.
This could be the final shift that pushes ND into a conference.

ND joining the ACC as a FB member would save that league instantly.
strange things are happening, but at this moment in time, there is no reason for ND to do anything. They are ranked #1 in the country. Win on Saturday and they play for a NC. With their defense, and Brian Kelly as the brains of the offense, they can win this thing. They can continue to be top 10 program for a long, long time if Kelly doesn't take a promotion to the NFL, which knowing Kelly, he just might after 3 years. Notre Dame doesn't just talk about remaining football independent. There is nothing the BCS can do to a winning ND program. They cannot be excluded. They have no need to join anything.

Reaction Score
Everyone knows that this is wrong. It's not "center" of the universe, its "hub" of the universe.

Yeah and other mistakes:
Beyond 128 is the Midwest and South, beyond Worcester is the West.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Fox would simply bury ESPN in NYC and NJ, New York and New England with that package YES, NESN and B1G for $6 a month per subscriber to the carriers.

Nobody is getting six dollars a month from that. Come the hell on.

Also, the only place NESN and YES would overlap is central CT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reaction Score

I'm in Southeastern CT and I have both on my cable provider. There are far too many Yankee and Red Sox fans in CT to not offer both YES and NESN without a ton of complaints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I thought the ncaa probation thing was a little odd. Hello bowl banned OSU, Penn State.

But BC by itself doesn't give the Big 10 New England, by any stretch. BC and UConn, now you're cooking with gas.

The Big 10 doesn't compete in a particular market. They own it.

Nebraska-owned
Iowa-here Iowa state is a gnat
Minnesota-owned
Wisconsin-owned
Illinois-owned
Michigan-double owned

Indiana-ND problem, but purdue and Indiana
Ohio-owned-
Penn Pitt is like the Iowa state gnat
Maryland-owned, especially with penn state
NJ-by default Rutgers only choice, but MD, Penn State make up for Rutgers suckitudee

If Virginia UVA and North Carolina UNC, now we're talking SEC and ACC competition, something the Big 10 doesn't want. NC State in the SEC is a threat. VTech and even WVU in Virginia.

The only open territory to lay a claim completely on is New England, with the added juice of new York Center of the World City.
There is a flaw in your presentation as the largest market in Illinois (Chicago) is owned by Notre Dame.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
No, the fight was about a small cadre of the Board of Trustees ousting the President.

When considering states with 2 state schools in play (Virginia, North Carolina) it's important not to underestimate state politics. The state government put huge pressure on UVA to make sure Va Tech made it into the ACC. It's going to be very hard for UVA, Va Tech, UNC or NC State to do anything quickly, and it's going to be hard for 1 state school to make a move period if the other state school is left in the lurch.
The concern here is if Slive and Delaney get together and decide to work in unison to carve up Virginia and North Carolina. The is the one way that a move from the ACC could go smoothly for the public schools in those states. This also however could trigger congress sticking their nose in.

Reaction Score
The concern here is if Slive and Delaney get together and decide to work in unison to carve up Virginia and North Carolina. The is the one way that a move from the ACC could go smoothly for the public schools in those states. This also however could trigger congress sticking their nose in.
If Congress gets involved you can be sure of the status quo for many years of hearings and filibusters.

Reaction Score
strange things are happening, but at this moment in time, there is no reason for ND to do anything. They are ranked #1 in the country. Win on Saturday and they play for a NC. With their defense, and Brian Kelly as the brains of the offense, they can win this thing. They can continue to be top 10 program for a long, long time if Kelly doesn't take a promotion to the NFL, which knowing Kelly, he just might after 3 years. Notre Dame doesn't just talk about remaining football independent. There is nothing the BCS can do to a winning ND program. They cannot be excluded. They have no need to join anything.
they still need a viable home for their other sports... If ACC decides it has a change of heart and tells ND, they want an all-sport league, where does ND go?

Reaction Score
Jacobs' column mentions that he hasn't heard any whispers of Big 10. He also references Blaudschun.

The good news is, if there were any whispers then you'd know it wasn't going to happen, because quite frankly, the only person affiliated with UConn who would know are Susan Herbst and her ass't. Jacobs mentions a conversation he had with her I believe on a Sunday. She wouldn't dare say anything to him about this.

I still think talk of UVA and especially UNC are red herrings. Unless Delaney is going for an 18 team conference it won't happen. Delaney needs VTech/UVA and NC State/UNC to emulate the Big 10's business model. And then at 18 teams, might as well stop calling it a conference and call it an affiliation.

Reaction Score
The time to squeeze ND is after the B10 goes to 16. Then you squeeze ND.

ND to the Big12?

Not happening.

Reaction Score

I live in Fairfield County and YES is included in my tier basic tier. However, I might pay 6 a month for the Yanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom