Blaudschun--Catholic Schools Met in NYC... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Blaudschun--Catholic Schools Met in NYC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
So I know Notre Dame loves the exposure (money) of the ACC, but I imagine this would give them an option if any conference tries to force them to join. Maybe BC will join the all catholic league, I mean they gave up on BCS football already...

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So I know Notre Dame loves the exposure (money) of the ACC, but I imagine this would give them an option if any conference tries to force them to join. Maybe BC will join the all catholic league, I mean they gave up on BCS football already...

You make a valuable point here. One thing Catholics love is more Catholics. The creation of a mostly-Catholic basketball only conference is enticing to all Catholic schools. I would imagine Fairfield, Sacred Heart, Fordham, etc would be very interested to see if they can get a seat to the table.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
You know it's bad when Depaul wants out.

Reaction Score
I have it on VERY GOOD AUTHORITY that Manuel is very intently MONITORING this situation and any developments that occur. He will asuredly react once the Catholic schools make their final decision. Of course Manuel will do nothing PROACTIVE. He is an expert MONITOR and LATE REACTOR. The man has been nothing short of a disaster so far. He is WAY OUT OF HIS LEAGUE here and because this is the case, UCONN is paying a steep price. Its like having a junior officer leading a boat in very treacherous conditions; precisely a tiem when you need an EXPERT EXPERIENCED KNOWLEDGEABLE SKILLED STEADY HAND. UConn has the junior officer in charge at exactly the worst possible time.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If the Big East lose MSG, where will the Big East Tourney go? My guess is Providence.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They have to do things soon I would imagine because once the other teams are officially in the conference the bb only schools would not be able to dissolve the conference. They are waiting long enough to get the monies from Pitt and Cuse.

UConn's situation is bleak at the moment. The school was always strategically vulnerable. President Herbst will have to make some difficult decisions. There are three competing needs for the university, academics, the basketball program and the football program. Obviously academics is the far most important consideration. The problem is that it is hard to quantify the value athletics contributes to the success of the university. It certainly contributes.

I would imagine that football goes to one conference and all other sports to another conference. The eastern football schools invited into the NBE might be conferring with one another but that group is so varied and dissimilar I doubt they can formulate a decent plan. Furthermore the ACC will now probably take Cinci or UConn or both just to prevent them from helping strengthen another conference. We can only hope UConn is taken. That certainly isn't a given. So UConn is on a leaking row boat in the middle of the Pacific with a typhoon bearing down on them. But I believe they'll get back to shore. Question is will they be intact or part of the Japanese tsunami debris.

No matter what happens all the traditional rivalries will be ended.

Reaction Score

Leave at any time with no penalty? How you going to broker any tv contracts when there is still impetus for the football schools to leave at any time and with no penalty? It is a recipe for more instability. I'd love schools like Uconn, Temple, Cincy etc in the conference for bball, but they don't want to be there. If the Catholic schools are going to break away, it is not by choice it is by necessity. Can't include programs that are "thinking with their helmet."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can't include programs that are "thinking with their helmet."

If it wasn't your association with schools thinking with their helmet, your boys would have been passed by Stony Brook years ago.

caw

Reaction Score
Leave at any time with no penalty? How you going to broker any tv contracts when there is still impetus for the football schools to leave at any time and with no penalty? It is a recipe for more instability. I'd love schools like Uconn, Temple, Cincy etc in the conference for bball, but they don't want to be there. If the Catholic schools are going to break away, it is not by choice it is by necessity. Can't include programs that are "thinking with their helmet."

None of UConn, Temple, Cincy, etc. should ever sign into a league that doesn't either have a football conference or have a leave with no/minimal penalty clause (maybe a decent notice of withdrawal period).

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Then there's another unsubstantiated rumor: The Catholics want 2 Catholic Schools added (Butler and Xavier) to equalize the vote and to maximize NCAA Tourney money and restore respect to the basketball league.

If it goes that way I'm good with all the posturing.

Reaction Score
Then there's another unsubstantiated rumor: The Catholics want 2 Catholic Schools added (Butler and Xavier) to equalize the vote and to maximize NCAA Tourney money and restore respect to the basketball league.

If it goes that way I'm good with all the posturing.

Butler isn't a Cathoic school though. But I'm not sure that matters.

Reaction Score
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4188

Great, now what is UConn going to be left with?
This should have been done 10 years ago, so it isn't that big a deal. Reality is though that these guys won't make anywhere near the money they currently do. They'll likely make A-10 level money. Georgetwon gets that, but i doubt Providence and Seton Hall do. In the long run, though, it really just makes sense to create separate leagues. Providence, Seton Hall, St Johns, they have zero in common with the larger football schools. Not athletically, not academically, not in terms of their missions or in terms of where they want to go with their programs. its been that way for a decade or more.

caw

Reaction Score
This should have been done 10 years ago, so it isn't that big a deal. Reality is though that these guys won't make anywhere near the money they currently do. They'll likely make A-10 level money. Georgetwon gets that, but i doubt Providence and Seton Hall do. In the long run, though, it really just makes sense to create separate leagues. Providence, Seton Hall, St Johns, they have zero in common with the larger football schools. Not athletically, not academically, not in terms of their missions or in terms of where they want to go with their programs. its been that way for a decade or more.

Completely agree. Of course if this was done 10 years ago, no telling which side UConn ends up on.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Why would they want a crappy school far away like Memphis? And why Temple when they could grab St. Joes in Philly instead? They might be willing to let UConn and Cinci stay, but Memphis and Temple have no shot. This is about a conference of like minded institutions within a reasonable travel range of each other. Marquette is already too far, but wouldn't be too bad for Creighton or SLU.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
If I was Swofford I'd propose adding St John's, Georgetown, and Villanova for basketball to join Notre Dame.

Might as well swoop in the for the kill and then openly ridicule UConn in the press when the ACC alternates between MSG and Charlotte for Tourneys.

Reaction Score
This is all rumor. Nothing is going to happen. The 7 Catholic school can't walk away with approx. 150M of NCAA credits due to league members for the next 6 years. Credits are given to the conf. not the individual schools.

U

UCONNfan1

"Restore respect to the basketball league"? Meaning what exactly?

caw

Reaction Score
"Restore respect to the basketball league"? Meaning what exactly?

Probably meaning they don't want the football schools on them...which really didn't happen enough.

U

UCONNfan1

Probably meaning they don't want the football schools ****ting on them...which really didn't happen enough.
LOL. Or at all. The FB schools sat on their asses and let the Catholic schools call the shots. That led to a weakening of the conference and then the poaching began. The football schools should have at least dropped some bunny turds on the Catholic schools. Then maybe we wouldn't be in the cluster that we are and the BE might be the conference poaching other schools.

Reaction Score
This is all rumor. Nothing is going to happen. The 7 Catholic school can't walk away with approx. 150M of NCAA credits due to league members for the next 6 years. Credits are given to the conf. not the individual schools.

Bball schools have a clause that as a group they can walk away from the conference. It was apparently signed in about 10 years when V-tech and others left. I don't know what happens with NCAA credits though.

Reaction Score
LOL. Or at all. The FB schools sat on their asses and let the Catholic schools call the shots. That led to a weakening of the conference and then the poaching began. The football schools should have at least dropped some bunny turds on the Catholic schools. Then maybe we wouldn't be in the cluster **** that we are and the BE might be the conference poaching other schools.

How do you figure the bball schools are entirely at fault for weakening the conference?

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ll-schools-creating-21-team-conference-source

Now that would make things interesting:

La Salle
Richmond
Xavier
Butler
Dayton
Saint Josephs
VCU
Saint Louis
St. Bonaventure
UMass
Duquesne
George Washington
Rhode Island
Fordham

Providence
Georgetown
St John's
DePau
Marquette
Villanova
Seton Hall

Will never happen with 21 schools. Too many. Big east basketball 7 plus mix of Xavier, Butler, Dayton, Creighton, St. Louis, VCU, Richmond. Maybe 2 others to get to 16? That makes it 14-16 schools and enough to add good OOC games to slate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom