Blaudschun--Catholic Schools Met in NYC... | The Boneyard

Blaudschun--Catholic Schools Met in NYC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We need to follow, go independent in football or strike a Notre Dame-like deal with the ACC, Big East, or Big10.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So what the hell happens now?

Do the catholic schools take the Big East name? Can we be a football-only member of sort of C-USA mess and play hoops under the Big East banner?

This just honestly keeps getting worse. I still can't believe we're in this position right now.

Reaction Score
What would be smart is a 2 division format for basketball, football schools and basketball schools.

Catholic schools have a choice. Stick with BE or get a lower payday. The Catholic schools with the exception of Georgetown, Villanova, and Marquette add little value and they are lucky to be in the BE.

Reaction Score
Sweet. At what point do we get on our hands and knees and beg for any deal from the Big 10 and/or the ACC. The time is rapidly approaching.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Sweet. At what point do we get on our hands and knees and beg for any deal from the Big 10 and/or the ACC. The time is rapidly approaching.

Don't worry Manuel is waiting by the phone. But he probably won't answer.

Reaction Score
We could be screwed if we don't find a stable home soon. I hope they can wait at least after we find a home somewhere.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The hoop schools definitely should be considering breaking away or dissolving the conference. The schools that are being brought in are unmitigated disasters.

Honestly, I think they'd miss UConn and Cincy on their home schedules, but if seeing those schools every other year means having to endure UCF, Houston, Tulane, etc., it ain't worth it.

Better that they invite some good like-minded hoop schools and form a killer little conference. I don't think the dollars are all that big a consideration anymore....our TV contract is going to be chump change.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
West
Marquette (WI)
DePaul (IL)
Butler (IN)
Xavier (OH)
Dayton (OH)
St Louis (MO)

East
Providence (RI)
St. John’s (NY)
Seton Hall (NJ)
Villanova (PA)
Georgetown (DC)
George Mason (VA)

Would it be a better league than the BE after converting to all members?

East
UConn
Temple
Cincy
USF
UCF
ECU

West
Memphis
SMU'
Houston
Tulane
SDSU
Boise

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Likely both would be rated about the same as the Missouri Valley and A-10 depending on the year.

Reaction Score
The only reason for non-football schools to stay attached is big $ from a new TV deal. Now it's clear that $ isn't coming. So here we go. -- (@GaryParrishCBS)

Sounds like this could happen, and happen soon

Reaction Score

Why do you think that would do any good?

Reaction Score
The only reason for non-football schools to stay attached is big $ from a new TV deal. Now it's clear that $ isn't coming. So here we go. -- (@GaryParrishCBS)

Sounds like this could happen, and happen soon

I agree. But wouldn't they make more money inviting Cincy and UConn along? I am not sure that a pigeon holed all Catholic league is an idea that is lucrative or sensible in the 21st century.

I think the ADs at UConn, USF and Cincy need to get together and form a new football only conference with about 10 schools.

Reaction Score
At some point, down the line, either 4 leagues of 16, or 5 leagues of 16, 64-80 football-hoops schools will break away from the NCAA.
UConn can only hope it's included in this group, at present.
If this happens, the Catholic, hoops only schools will be relegated to something like D-1AA in football. Fortunately, UConn listened to Lew Perkins 12+ years ago. I only wish we acted on his move 5-6 years sooner.

Reaction Score
I agree. But wouldn't they make more money inviting Cincy and UConn along? I am not sure that a pigeon holed all Catholic league is an idea that is lucrative or sensible in the 21st century.

I think the ADs at UConn, USF and Cincy need to get together and form a new football only conference with about 10 schools.

I'm hearing the Catholic schools already have a tentative offer on the table from the ETWN network.

Reaction Score
Being an Independent in any sport is near impossible these days. A massive scheduling headache. That being said, there are several schools with some cache that might make it feasible for a very loose conference association.

Uconn, Cincy, Boise St., UCF, USF, SMU, Houston, BYU, Navy, Air Force.

I tossed BYU in there because, when I wrote loose, I see these schools largely selling their own rights and pooling resources only for playoffs and tournaments and such.

I'd look into forming something like this, first by putting in a call to all the politicos with ESPN associations. Get ESPN and SNY in a room, and sell UConn sports to them for $6-7 million a year.

Reaction Score
Hard to blame the Catholic schools from breaking away. They are basketball schools and they have seen the conference ripped apart by the football bus driver. They had to live with the annual threat that the football schools would break away while they were treated as second clas citizens. The new BE is a clusterfrick conference and if Uconn had a choice, we'd be gone too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom