Blanca Quiñonez Commits to UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Blanca Quiñonez Commits to UConn

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Strong will be the big dog in years to come IMO.
Blanca is currently playing in a pro league that has players more experienced then Strong and she is holding her own. I'm not putting down Strong, I'm saying that Blanca is not a pushover and may give Strong a good run for playing time.

Reaction Score

She looks really impressive in these videos, though the competition doesn't look top-flight. The long strides, the athleticism, the quickness, the finishing at the rim, these all do remind me of Maya. What I haven't seen is what sort of perimeter shooter she is.

Also, I don't think she'll be competing against Sarah for minutes. I think they'll complement each other really well. FIBA lists her at just a tiny bit below 6', while other sources put her at 6'1". In this respect, she also plays a little like Gabby, namely with her athleticism letting her play bigger than her height. She's a leaper and a sprinter.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Agreed about the minutes and who's competing against whom. Besides a PG, or lead guard, you pretty much can put most anyone out on the floor (within reason) depending on who is the "best" so to speak.

Point is if she's great, she can certainly play alongside KK, Ash, Sarah, Morgan, etc. on the floor together. Obviously you need some height but I'm all for playing the best players, no matter what "position" they play...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
She looks really impressive in these videos, though the competition doesn't look top-flight. The long strides, the athleticism, the quickness, the finishing at the rim, these all do remind me of Maya. What I haven't seen is what sort of perimeter shooter she is.

Also, I don't think she'll be competing against Sarah for minutes. I think they'll complement each other really well. FIBA lists her at just a tiny bit below 6', while other sources put her at 6'1". In this respect, she also plays a little like Gabby, namely with her athleticism letting her play bigger than her height. She's a leaper and a sprinter.
Yup, she's a Gabby in the making

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I can hear Jose asking Geno before their game on 11/10. You did it again, I've been talking with Blanca for over a year, then you meet her once and she commits to you after that. What the heck are you promising them?

Reaction Score
"Any food you want from the cafeteria, but never pasta, except when you're over at our home and my better half serves you the best pasta you will ever have in your life."

Kim: "If I only didn't hate to travel to a country that has statues more glamorous than the one honoring me here in a few years ...", we would have signed a future multi-year All American.

What Ecuador petroleum, shrimp, banana and coffee companies want to sign her to some NIL deals now before Congress wises up and allows foreign players to negotiate NIL contracts with anyone?

Reaction Score
I don’t want to get too far out on my skis here. With the likely departure of Paige after this season, I had wondered who might take over next season’s team as the “BIG DOG?” Certainly, there are lots of potential players who might do so.

Blanca is a young, 18 year old, playing in the Italian pro league at the A1 level. She’s more than holding her own and she’s got the complete package at both ends of the court…….

Just sayin……
What are you sayin?

Azzi, Sarah, and Jana are the 3 Big Dogs next year. You think Blanca as a frosh is going to supplant them? If the quote above gives us a clue that IConnCat provided that Blanca "is working" on her 3pt shot, and she is a G/W, then there is no way she is suplanting Azzi/Sarah/Jana. Maybe if Azzi not healthy and one of te etwo Jana/Sarah not up to the hype, but chances of all 3 imo less than 1%.

Reaction Score
You have to scroll to see all the highlights... Blanca is Quick,
Athletic, with a good " motor, and plays good defense (I
loved the interception with the high leap for the ball ). The
offense is clear, so the "other things" made me think:
" IN GENO I TRUST ". Welcome Bianca Francheska Quinones
Mina. !!! I think I got the spelling correct!
she looks terrfic. I wouldn't call her a big dog year 1 but terrfic player. As others say - "In Geno I trust."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What are you sayin?

Azzi, Sarah, and Jana are the 3 Big Dogs next year. You think Blanca as a frosh is going to supplant them? If the quote above gives us a clue that IConnCat provided that Blanca "is working" on her 3pt shot, and she is a G/W, then there is no way she is suplanting Azzi/Sarah/Jana. Maybe if Azzi not healthy and one of te etwo Jana/Sarah not up to the hype, but chances of all 3 imo less than 1%.
Watch the video of her lighting it up from the arc, quick release, nothing but net. Azzi may move on next year, and we are all keeping our fingers crossed about her health when she hopefully gets back on the court this year.

I have extremely high expectations for both Jana & Sarah. But while both can play inside and out, neither is the type of player to initiate the offense, drop dimes and take over the game imo.

As I said, “I don’t want to get over my skis.” But UConn has had more than a few freshmen step in and run the show through the years: DT, Maya & Paige all come to mind, and Stewie certainly carried the Huskies to a national championship as a freshman.

We’ll all get a chance to see just how good this young lady from Ecuador is in another year. I for one am excited.

Reaction Score
I’ve now managed to find a few more clips. They’re too short to bother posting here and an easy googling will find them. One thing you start to see is that Blanquita is used to carrying her team, whether it be in HS or FIBA or Italia. This is a kid who knows how to lead and Geno likes these types. Paige, Sarah, Ash, KK, Jana, Allie and Morgan are all excellent examples of this trait. They’re used to their teammates looking to them to lead. I think this is what her coaches at the NBA Academy saw in her when they said it’s not a matter of if she makes it to the WNBA, but of how to get her ready for when she gets there.

Reaction Score
I can hear Jose asking Geno before their game on 11/10. You did it again, I've been talking with Blanca for over a year, then you meet her once and she commits to you after that. What the heck are you promising them?
I was just thinking, we’re becoming the next USF but just on a different competition level

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom