Black Friday TV deals | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Black Friday TV deals

Reaction Score
It's not really a deal, but I broke down and bought the TCL 6 series. It was more than I wanted to spend at $650, but this year has sucked and this winter's going to suck being stuck in the house so my wife and I both felt justified in spending a little extra. Plus, I bought it from PC Richard and Sons and they'll refund me the difference if the TV goes on sale in the next few weeks. It got some pretty fantastic reviews (including from a few people in this thread) and I'm really excited to finally own a TV with 120Hz refresh rate. I'm going to pick it up today; if I got it delivered it wouldn't be here until Saturday, and I want it ready to go so I can watch the season opener Wednesday night (and, to keep my wife happy, so she can watch the Macy's parade on Thursday morning).
Nice good luck with it I love mine. I just picked up a 55” hisense at target for $199. Getting it today also. Definitely won’t be as nice as 6 series but it’s for a room that the TV gets turned on about 5 times a year. If you find the sound not great I’m sure there will be some dirt bottom prices on soundbar this week. I’ve had good luck checking Amazon warehouse for good deals on them just because someone opened the box

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Nice good luck with it I love mine. I just picked up a 55” hisense at target for $199. Getting it today also. Definitely won’t be as nice as 6 series but it’s for a room that the TV gets turned on about 5 times a year. If you find the sound not great I’m sure there will be some dirt bottom prices on soundbar this week. I’ve had good luck checking Amazon warehouse for good deals on them just because someone opened the box

I bought a Polk soundbar earlier this year; the sound quality is very good so I'm happy with that.

I wanted to avoid Hisense only because it's the brand TV that I have now and have read that a lot of people complained about their durability, which lines up with my current situation of the screen breaking slightly for absolutely no reason. For $200 bucks though, you really can't go wrong even if it breaks after 3 or 4 years.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
prolly gonna have to wait a bit for delivery, but tcl 55' for a buck fiddy sounds sweet. series 4.
$150. wallyworld.

if that connects to Netflix Hulu and Vudu I might buy 2 lol.

Reaction Score
I bought a Polk soundbar earlier this year; the sound quality is very good so I'm happy with that.

I wanted to avoid Hisense only because it's the brand TV that I have now and have read that a lot of people complained about their durability, which lines up with my current situation of the screen breaking slightly for absolutely no reason. For $200 bucks though, you really can't go wrong even if it breaks after 3 or 4 years.
You definitely make the right choice. The hisense is a 7th tv in the house so for $199 it was worth replacing and old Samsung..

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just got the BJs black Friday deals. The 82" Samsung. :) My wall space is almost certainly inadequate. The 75" QLED also appeals.

I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this.

Reaction Score
Not entirely "Black Friday" but we just got home from buying our first TV in 10 years. We got a previously opened 55 inch QLED 4K TCL we purchased from PC Richards for $610 after taxes. A five-month delayed birthday gift from Mrs. Adrien.

After scrolling between live football, basketball, hockey and Netflix, the difference between our old TV is amazing. I conferred with my buddy who works in the tech field in China and he lauds TCL as an up-in-coming but quality brand. Quality as good as the big boys, but haven't build enough cred to jump up the costs. Love, love, love this purchase.

Reaction Score
Not entirely "Black Friday" but we just got home from buying our first TV in 10 years. We got a previously opened 55 inch QLED 4K TCL we purchased from PC Richards for $610 after taxes. A five-month delayed birthday gift from Mrs. Adrien.

After scrolling between live football, basketball, hockey and Netflix, the difference between our old TV is amazing. I conferred with my buddy who works in the tech field in China and he lauds TCL as an up-in-coming but quality brand. Quality as good as the big boys, but haven't build enough cred to jump up the costs. Love, love, love this purchase.
TCL gets a lot of “best value” recommendations. I’ve heard from people working for Nielsen ratings that it’s maybe the most seen tv in people’s homes. I’m going to wait another year to see where OLED and microLED fall out. I think microLED is going to win.

Reaction Score
I'm likely going TCL 6 series 65". Like the qled because I don't want to worry about burning that can happen on the OLED. Anyone have a better option?
Ive had my oled for 3 years. Best picture ever,nothing compares..no burn out either..

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
TCL gets a lot of “best value” recommendations. I’ve heard from people working for Nielsen ratings that it’s maybe the most seen tv in people’s homes. I’m going to wait another year to see where OLED and microLED fall out. I think microLED is going to win.

I bought one for the family room. I like the Roku interface better than the crappy Android based ones. Very smart of them to offer that. Picture quality is fine. If you upgraded a 10 year old TV like Hey Adrien it will blow you away, but It's still a little short of the best from LG, Samsung and Sony. But it is definitely a good value. A top tier TCL will run the same as a mid-tier set from the bigger brands.

I think room setting matters. My family room is well lit, so a bright TV with mediocre black levels is fine. In my basement where I watch movies, I'd want better blacks than the TCL gives me. Happy with my Sony there.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I bought a 43" for $300 on Amazon. It won't get a ton of use bc it'll be in my loft/guest room but it's a really nice looking TV.

Reaction Score
I have an LG OLED. Doesn’t get much better when watching 4K movies/video games.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There are some decent deals out there. I'm gonna keep an eye on Walmart, best buy, and Amazon for any deals leading up to Black Friday. Right now I'm liking the TCL 5 series for $400. If the 6 series price drops at any point I'll probably jump on that.

We bought that.

For $400, it’s really good, but it is strangely fiddly to get the picture to look the way you’d like - that has to do with the goofy way TCL handles settings.

We have the new Chromecast with Android TV, Apple TVs, etc., The Roku software in the TCLs is more than good enough. (I feel like they’re all basically the same now, but with the built-in Roku operating system, I have eliminated every plug and wire, save the power cord.)

In any event, we’re returning it...it’s the 50” version and we really have room for a 55”. When you sort out the settings, the picture is very nice, but it’s just not that bright - almost a stretch to call it HDR.

It’ll be swapped out for the 6-series.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We bought that.

For $400, it’s really good, but it is strangely fiddly to get the picture to look the way you’d like - that has to do with the goofy way TCL handles settings.

We have the new Chromecast with Android TV, Apple TVs, etc., The Roku software in the TCLs is more than good enough. (I feel like they’re all basically the same now, but with the built-in Roku operating system, I have eliminated every plug and wire, save the power cord.)

In any event, we’re returning it...it’s the 50” version and we really have room for a 55”. When you sort out the settings, the picture is very nice, but it’s just not that bright - almost a stretch to call it HDR.

It’ll be swapped out for the 6-series.

I've had the 6-series for about 6 weeks now, and it's fantastic. Also gets plenty bright, so you won't have any issues there.

The picture settings are a little funky, but if you're going to use the built-in Roku app then it shouldn't be as tough, since you're only using one input (picture settings don't carry over to each different input, so you'd have to set it up for each one). However, you will have to set picture settings for SD, HDR, and Dolby Vision, and you can only change each when you're viewing that content. A little annoying at first, but the picture is fantastic, and it's nice to alter the settings based on what kind of content you're watching.

I also upgraded from 50" to 55" and it makes a huge difference. I'm glad they only make the 55" in the 6-series or else I would've settled for 50".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
with the built-in Roku operating system, I have eliminated every plug and wire, save the power cord.
Isn't it great! I was like..what just happened here?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Isn't it great! I was like..what just happened here?

Our old TV was on a stand with 800 wires behind it.

This one was going on the wall so I ran wires and put a two-gang box behind the TV because surely I needed at least four outlets back there....

No. Just one.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've had the 6-series for about 6 weeks now, and it's fantastic. Also gets plenty bright, so you won't have any issues there.

The picture settings are a little funky, but if you're going to use the built-in Roku app then it shouldn't be as tough, since you're only using one input (picture settings don't carry over to each different input, so you'd have to set it up for each one). However, you will have to set picture settings for SD, HDR, and Dolby Vision, and you can only change each when you're viewing that content. A little annoying at first, but the picture is fantastic, and it's nice to alter the settings based on what kind of content you're watching.

I also upgraded from 50" to 55" and it makes a huge difference. I'm glad they only make the 55" in the 6-series or else I would've settled for 50".

The 50” really was a compromise based in fear...fear of my wife.

The picture is great for the price, but the HDR thing bugged me and we buy one TV every ten years....so I did not want to spend ten years wishing I had bought the 55r6.

It will come on Saturday and then the 50” goes back.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The 50” really was a compromise based in fear...fear of my wife.

The picture is great for the price, but the HDR thing bugged me and we buy one TV every ten years....so I did not want to spend ten years wishing I had bought the 55r6.

It will come on Saturday and then the 50” goes back.

Ha. When I bought a 46" years ago, hung it up, my wife told me it was too small and to take it back. That became a 55", and now a 65". She was recently complaining that it is too small. I'd get a 75" but I don't have another spot in the house where I can use the 65".

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Ha. When I bought a 46" years ago, hung it up, my wife told me it was too small and to take it back. That became a 55", and now a 65". She was recently complaining that it is too small. I'd get a 75" but I don't have another spot in the house where I can use the 65".
I've got a LG 55" above the fireplace. I can squeeze in a 60 but it will pretty much take up all the space between the mantle and the ceiling, mounted in front of the crown molding. JVC makes a 58" that is pretty much the perfect in size, so I am thinking about that.

I was surprised by all the love for the TCL's. I've thought of them as a bargain brand.

CL82

Reaction Score
Our old TV was on a stand with 800 wires behind it.

This one was going on the wall so I ran wires and put a two-gang box behind the TV because surely I needed at least four outlets back there....

No. Just one.
Are you using a sound bar or just the TV speakers? I'm thinking about having an electrician come in to put in plugs, HMDI and optical jacks. If the TV is good enough, that would simplify things considerably.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Are you using a sound bar or just the TV speakers? I'm thinking about having an electrician come in to put a plugs, HMDI and optical jacks. If the TV is good enough, that would simply things considerably.

I just use the speakers - 98% of the time, I am either watching YouTube or UConn.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

My wife is the complete opposite.

The house was decorated with the idea that no television would be seen. The television in the family room is in a cabinet and the absolute biggest television that would fit in it was a 39” Vizio from a few years back. There was no television in any of the bedrooms before I revolted two weeks ago and took the television from the den and stuffed it in my dresser cabinet thingy.

We redecorated the den a month ago and she wanted me to hang the television on the wall to get rid of the TV stand. I was not going to hang a 40” television on the wall, (that is the one stuffed into our bedroom now), because it would look ridiculous.

That brings us to the present day where a 50” TCL hangs on the wall awaiting removal for the 55” TCL sitting in the foyer. We will see if the wife notices a difference

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
You sure she was talking about the TV?

CL82

Reaction Score

What is the difference between the 4 series and 6 series?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom