Bilas on Uconn left out of expansion | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bilas on Uconn left out of expansion

Reaction Score
No doubt. The same is true for the big 12. P5 money is a key to remaining relevant.

I am less certain of the ACC’s future survival. It seems like the major media outlets are determined to consolidate big time athletics. Some of the P5 will be on the outside looking in when that process is completed.
While I agree - UConn made a move for football once and it backfired horribly. However the football money is insane. The ACC isn't going anywhere.

UConn football generated 4.7M in revenue last year against $18.4M in expenses.

While you have to probably double that investment at a minimum to be competitive in the ACC, every program made money or stayed neutral in that conference. If you could go from -$13M to positive or even close to even - that's a lot of nice shiny things for all the athletics programs and staff. But could UConn afford to make that investment up front? Media deals aside - do people in CT care about football?

That said - I think Hurley loves the Big East brand. And I'm pretty sure the millions earned from this last title run would stay with the Big East.

However - the ACC does bring back some old Big East games - Pitt, Louisville, BC, ND, and cute little Orange program. And you get Duke/UNC/Virginia on your schedule twice a year. It wouldn't be like what happened in the AAC. There's still some traditional rivalries, and you still get the Northeast recruiting hotbed with UConn/BC, you get the DMV with Virginia.

You also lose MSG for a tournament. But road travel to Miami in the winter doesn't sound as as Providence.

Reaction Score
I agree we’ve given Ackerman all the ammunition she needs to negotiate the best deal possible. In addition to the national championship, Connecticut games have increased the ratings that the Big East receives. I’m just not sure how much value is there. What do you anticipate the next big east deal being? If we ended up making 10 million a school, it would be an extraordinary deal. Realistically, 8 million is probably a more likely number. Wow that doubles our current distribution, it doesn’t allow us to stay connected in competitive with the P5 schools.
That all depends on how much the schools allow basketball to access the big bucks at the expense of football. I am not saying that what you fear might not happen. It very well might. But we don’t know that it will happen either.,

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That all depends on how much the schools allow basketball to access the big bucks at the expense of football. I am not saying that what you fear might not happen. It very well might. But we don’t know that it will happen either.,
True, although I am inclined to believe that most institutions will look to maximize their near term profit. But for football playing schools to give up money to subsidize non-football playing schools, you would need to have football playing schools as part of your conference deal. That’s not the circumstances of the big east conference. Assuming what you suggest is a possibility, that’s probably a net negative for the big east conference, because it would facilitate the movement of “basketball only” schools to the P5 conferences.

Reaction Score
True, although I am inclined to believe that most institutions will look to maximize their near term profit. But for football playing schools to give up money to subsidize non-football playing schools, you would need to have football playing schools as part of your conference deal. That’s not the circumstances of the big east conference. Assuming what you suggest is a possibility, that’s probably a net negative for the big east conference, because it would facilitate the movement of “basketball only” schools to the P5 conferences.

I may not have been clear. What I’m asking is whether Ohio State is going to allow its basketball program to spend more than a school like us, when doing so subtracts from the money the athletic department can provide to the football program. I was not asking, e.g., how a conference would determine how much of a share a basketball only gets.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
Man... If there is one thing that annoys me of the boneyard is the inferiority complex in constant display by so many UConn fans. Its like half of the fan base here internalizes the need to always be catching up to someone else.

Enjoy the darn championship damn it. Can we just cut the b.s ACC/B1G/B12 talk for a few days?
Yup. And there are financial and revenue considerations. But yes, there's a distinction there. The inferiority-wanting-to-look-good-and-belong complex is pathetic and feminine.

Reaction Score
1st round BC blocked us and 2nd round football powers blocked us. There were reports during second raid about the ACC fearing the Calhoun retirement impact on the program. Not sure where you're seeing moving goalposts, it's consistent with media reports all along.

BC didn't block anything. They went into the ACC hidden in Miami's butt. The idea that could veto anything is a myth, it's beyond absurd. They had zero power. Plus the ACC is built on backyard rivals UNC, Duke, Wake and NC State.

It was all over the press that FSU and Clemson didn't want to water down the football side of the conference. And football ruled -like it always does.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Every time someone talks about money for facilities I think about whenever you see a tour of one of those new SEC locker rooms or whatever, where they have clearly run out of things to spend money on. It's like each player has their own space pod or whatever.
I get that it's an issue but at some point there are diminishing returns.

CL82

Reaction Score
I may not have been clear. What I’m asking is whether Ohio State is going to allow its basketball program to spend more than a school like us, when doing so subtracts from the money the athletic department can provide to the football program. I was not asking, e.g., how a conference would determine how much of a share a basketball only gets.
Ah got it. I’m inclined to think athletic director will spread money around, especially in the P2 where the money coming in will be just staggering. I can’t see a Big Ten football coach demanding that all $72 million per year of their media rights distribution be spent on football.

CL82

Reaction Score
BC didn't block anything. They went into the ACC hidden in Miami's butt. The idea that could veto anything is a myth, it's beyond absurd. They had zero power. Plus the ACC is built on backyard rivals UNC, Duke, Wake and NC State.

It was all over the press that FSU and Clemson didn't want to water down the football side of the conference. And football ruled -like it always does.
Well, DiFilippo was there and says, otherwise, but I’m sure you’re right.
1680710076206.png

You seem to envision the situation as everyone else in the conference, Wantin, Connecticut, and BCU standing up and saying no. What’s been reported is that BCU was a part of the selection committee and they indicated a preference for Pittsburgh over Connecticut based upon the fact that they “wanted to be the New England team.” The other ACC schools didn’t have a strong, feeling one way, or the other, because ESPN was throwing cash at them, regardless, of which Big East school was chosen. Picture being in a conference room and someone is about to order lunch. When they suggest roast beef, if someone says hey, wait a minute I really hate roast beef can we just do turkey everyone would shrug and say fine. I think that was more than dynamic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Every time someone talks about money for facilities I think about whenever you see a tour of one of those new SEC locker rooms or whatever, where they have clearly run out of things to spend money on. It's like each player has their own space pod or whatever.
I get that it's an issue but at some point there are diminishing returns.

That money is about to find its way to the "student-athletes" in a very big way. I understand that NIL is not supposed to be coming from the athletic departments currently, but I have to believe that the work arounds on that are well underway and in terms of enforcement I think the NCAA is about to become fully toothless in that regard.

Reaction Score
I agree we’ve given Ackerman all the ammunition she needs to negotiate the best deal possible. In addition to the national championship, Connecticut games have increased the ratings that the Big East receives. I’m just not sure how much value is there. What do you anticipate the next big east deal being? If we ended up making 10 million a school, it would be an extraordinary deal. Realistically, 8 million is probably a more likely number. Wow that doubles our current distribution, it doesn’t allow us to stay connected in competitive with the P5 schools.
I agree 10 million is probably a pie in the sky number and even that wouldn’t put us close to the worst of the P5 in terms of money. A little scary when you look at it in those terms.
I love the big east and don’t want to leave but just because the money hasn’t come back to bite us yet doesn’t mean it won’t eventually.

Reaction Score
The ACC and BE will have to merge. One side will have football, the other basketball.

Add UConn to the BC, Cuse, Pitt, VT, Virginia, Duke, NC St, Wake, GTech conference and they have balance.

Suspect NC is headed out with Clemson, Miami and FSU.
I’ll go along with most of what you’ve written. However, North Carolina will follow Duke and UVA to the big 10.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
BC left in 2003. UL's head coach iat the time was just as old as Calhoun. The lie of the day is that Louisville and WV were going to continue as BB powerhouses but UConn was going to fade away?

Listen, these morons can't even remember that UConn didn't leave the Big East. The C7 bolted to form a BB conference and bought the name.

Now, all these Big East is back are based on Villanova's 2 chip from their now retired coach? Naw, that don't fly. Without UConn's domination of the non-confernce, the BE held serve for their 5 bids.

Reaction Score
And Jim Calhoun retired in 2012. That's 11 years ago. That was plenty of time to see the error of their ways....

For now I'm happy in the Big East and as a football independent. The only conference that I'd want to go to would be the B1G. I think over time we could be respectable in football like Rutgers and would still be tops in both Men's and Women's Basketball.
Please never use Rutgers football and respectable in the same sentence.

CL82

Reaction Score
That said - I think Hurley loves the Big East brand. And I'm pretty sure the millions earned from this last title run would stay with the Big East.
I think total Big East credits for the tournament were 30 million and it’s paid out over five or six years. The number that we I think total Big East credits for the tournament were 30 million and it’s paid out over five or six years. The number that we are leaving would be leaving behind in total is about 1.2 million, or 250,000 a year, give or take.

Reaction Score
I think total Big East credits for the tournament were 30 million and it’s paid out over five or six years. The number that we I think total Big East credits for the tournament were 30 million and it’s paid out over five or six years. The number that we are leaving would be leaving behind in total is about 1.2 million, or 250,000 a year, give or take.
I don't follow your math.

$30m divided among 11 teams is $2.7m, or $500k per year.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't follow your math.

$30m divided among 11 teams is $2.7m, or $500k per year.
You weren’t following it because I messed it up trying to do it quick and dirty in my head.

$30M/11/6=$458,333.33

Reaction Score
I’ll go along with most of what you’ve written. However, North Carolina will follow Duke and UVA to the big 10.
If the ACC starts to rebuild and reconfigure, kicking off with UConn and maybe Tulane added soon as new members, I think the predicted shakeup of the conference may not take place at least for a dozen years. The ACC basketball powerhouses need UConn's energy and excellence to fuel excitement into the program. Football can be competitive and fun to watch without being king of the conference. I myself wouldn't mind seeing Clemson, FSU and Louisville departing for another conference.

Reaction Score
So, what's UConn current strategy with its football program? Does it remain "Independent"? How much money is it losing by not being associated with a Conference? I guess my bottom line question is - Can UConn keep going with BB in the Big East and football as an Independent or will something have to change (e.g., close the football program, join a bigger conference, etc.).

Reaction Score
Yes to some extent. But if Kansas, Duke and Kentucky are old money what is UCLA ?
I believe he included them with the 'old money' teams since they haven't won a championship since the Huskies won their first.

Reaction Score
Well, DiFilippo was there and says, otherwise, but I’m sure you’re right.
View attachment 86897

You seem to envision the situation as everyone else in the conference, Wantin, Connecticut, and BCU standing up and saying no. What’s been reported is that BCU was a part of the selection committee and they indicated a preference for Pittsburgh over Connecticut based upon the fact that they “wanted to be the New England team.” The other ACC schools didn’t have a strong, feeling one way, or the other, because ESPN was throwing cash at them, regardless, of which Big East school was chosen. Picture being in a conference room and someone is about to order lunch. When they suggest roast beef, if someone says hey, wait a minute I really hate roast beef can we just do turkey everyone would shrug and say fine. I think that was more than dynamic.

He also said he was following ESPN's instructions. It's nonsense. It's bluster. DiFilippo weilded zero power.

Reaction Score
For now I'm happy in the Big East and as a football independent. The only conference that I'd want to go to would be the B1G. I think over time we could be respectable in football like Rutgers and would still be tops in both Men's and Women's Basketball.

For now, yes. However, in my future landscape, what’s a plausible landing spot for us? We are never being invited to the SEC and we don‘t deliver the value needed for the B1G. So what can be considered reasonable options for us?

I prefer the B12, which imo is the future P#3. You take it now if offered. The PAC is P#5 and you can argue that the ACC is now P#4. If the ACC is raided they will likely be relegated to the P#5 slot, though who knows. After the initial raid, the B12 can take whichever ACC schools not absorbed by the SEC/B1G. Then the leftovers can beg the NBE to take them. I hope I am still here to see this play out and I hope the NBE survives. We can schedule as many NBE schools as possible, and maybe there will be a B12/NBE Challenge.

So I think it comes down to P#3/B12 or P#5 for us. This is an easy choice for me. When the break from the NCAA happens, I want us to be in one of the top 3 leagues.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yes to some extent. But if Kansas, Duke and Kentucky are old money what is UCLA ?
They were "Old Money," but lost it all in the stock market crash. They are included and allowed to hang around for legacy purposes, but are not considered a threat to the old guard.

UCLA is the Pete Campbell of the Mad Men version of the Dykeman family. Final 4s notwithstanding, they have one championship in 48 years.

Reaction Score
He also said he was following ESPN's instructions. It's nonsense. It's bluster. DiFilippo weilded zero power.
BC's block had an impact.

It's like the EU. Each country has veto power. Other countries always want to change that for the good of the conference, but everyone is afraid to for fear that someone will encroach on their own school.

They can disregard BC all they want, but when BC stands up and says, "This hurts my school, absolutely no!" it has an impact. Because then the precedent is set that all the school's can encroach on one school's interests.

Reaction Score
The only constant is change and no matter what metrics or markets they're using, nothing trumps winning. 5 rings baby. Below is my post #211 in the UCONN pursing acc membership thread from March 1. It's a top tier academic conference if we kick louisville to the curb. We'll even let a couple football schools hang around if they can't find a home. Even from a football standpoint it would own the east coast and have no problem filling bowl games.

"I'm tired of this sheet so I am making the decisions. ACC members will all make like Fleetwood Mac and go their own way and dissolve the conference. A very solid football conference and it's not like anyone else is winning a championship anyway. And hoops, forgetaboutit!

The result: 20 member $$ conference with 10 basketball and 10 all in. maybe add in Army and Navy for football only. who's with me.

1PCUCONN
2SJUCuse
3SHUBCU
4NovaPitt
5GeorgetownVaTech
6DePaulNC State
7MarquetteDuke
8ButlerWake
9XavierGaTech
10CreightonLouisville

Online statistics

Members online