Bilas on Uconn left out of expansion | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bilas on Uconn left out of expansion

Reaction Score
You saw the title it's not like you're obligated to read the thread.
Its also a thread about conference realignment posted on The Conference Realignment Board so...

Reaction Score
The only constant is change and no matter what metrics or markets they're using, nothing trumps winning. 5 rings baby. Below is my post #211 in the UCONN pursing acc membership thread from March 1. It's a top tier academic conference if we kick louisville to the curb. We'll even let a couple football schools hang around if they can't find a home. Even from a football standpoint it would own the east coast and have no problem filling bowl games.

"I'm tired of this sheet so I am making the decisions. ACC members will all make like Fleetwood Mac and go their own way and dissolve the conference. A very solid football conference and it's not like anyone else is winning a championship anyway. And hoops, forgetaboutit!

The result: 20 member $$ conference with 10 basketball and 10 all in. maybe add in Army and Navy for football only. who's with me.

1PCUCONN
2SJUCuse
3SHUBCU
4NovaPitt
5GeorgetownVaTech
6DePaulNC State
7MarquetteDuke
8ButlerWake
9XavierGaTech
10CreightonLouisville
I'd love that football schedule.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
"It's about the bucks kid. The rest is conversation."

Reaction Score
Every time someone talks about money for facilities I think about whenever you see a tour of one of those new SEC locker rooms or whatever, where they have clearly run out of things to spend money on. It's like each player has their own space pod or whatever.
I get that it's an issue but at some point there are diminishing returns.
We've reached that point already. The majority of schools in the P5/P2 have nicer facilities than NFL Teams. Kids are becoming desensitized to that arms race of the 2010's. Alabama has X in their locker room, Texas has Y. How does a fancy locker room benefit me other than to stroke my ego? The biggest questions that elite recruits are currently asking coaches are do you develop guys at my position for The NFL and what kind of bag is available for me through your NIL Programs? If you don't have a good answer for both of these questions, you will be dead in the water. Basketball is the original pay for play sport with handlers, AAU Teams and any number of entities with their hands out. I can't even imagine what will go on at places like UNC or Kentucky.

Reaction Score
We've reached that point already. The majority of schools in the P5/P2 have nicer facilities than NFL Teams. Kids are becoming desensitized to that arms race of the 2010's. Alabama has X in their locker room, Texas has Y. How does a fancy locker room benefit me other than to stroke my ego? The biggest questions that elite recruits are currently asking coaches are do you develop guys at my position for The NFL and what kind of bag is available for me through your NIL Programs? If you don't have a good answer for both of these questions, you will be dead in the water. Basketball is the original pay for play sport with handlers, AAU Teams and any number of entities with their hands out. I can't even imagine what will go on at places like UNC or Kentucky.
Another question would be how does the SEC prepare me for life after football? There was an article on this many years ago and I can’t find the link, but it was quite depressing even for those that made the NFL.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I can't even imagine what will go on at places like UNC or Kentucky.
Oh please. There are only three things keeping Blue Chips from being a documentary.

1) Lack of hookers.
2) Lack of blow.
3) Crisis of conscience from the Pete Bell character.

Reaction Score
The college football realignments, that started a generation ago, created "the haves and have nots". At the time, there seems to have been more haves than have nots, and UConn was clearly sitting at the front of the "have nots" table. More and more, the definition of the "have nots" will change. Obviously, it is all about having and not having money. But on the competitive landscape, basically, unless you are a peer of Alabama in football, you are one of the "have nots", IMO. Today, as the P12 and B12 (potentially the ACC) are torn apart, I get the feeling there will be more "have nots" than ever before. It's all about money, of course, but there is always strength in numbers. The have nots are growing. Maybe the competitive interest "pendulum" will swing back and some of the money will follow?

Reaction Score
The ACC has a Grant of Rights until 2036. No one is leaving until 3 yrs before at best. Adding, who knows? The talk around conference realignment around them, the Big 10 and SEC is premature by years!
They will be losing money hand over fist compared to the B1G, SEC and Big12. Clemson and FSU can’t get out the ACC to the SEC fast enough. North Carolina and Virginia want into the B1G like Maryland. Pitt, VTech and Lville will vie for the B12. Duke, NC State, GTech, Wake and Miami are going to be in an island in a world of hurt. And the Syracuse, BC outposts are going to be holding their wankers.

Reaction Score
They will be losing money hand over fist compared to the B1G, SEC and Big12. Clemson and FSU can’t get out the ACC to the SEC fast enough. North Carolina and Virginia want into the B1G like Maryland. Pitt, VTech and Lville will vie for the B12. Duke, NC State, GTech, Wake and Miami are going to be in an island in a world of hurt. And the Syracuse, BC outposts are going to be holding their wankers.
i am not sure all that will happen, the remaining teams will form a renewed acc. they will be looking for teams to join them

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
"I'm tired of this sheet so I am making the decisions. ACC members will all make like Fleetwood Mac and go their own way and dissolve the conference. A very solid football conference and it's not like anyone else is winning a championship anyway. And hoops, forgetaboutit!
This is a good point. Conferences don't usually take 2-3 big hits and then just disappear, and especially not a brand like the ACC. You don't even need a Big East merger to accomplish a surviving ACC - lose Clemson and UNC, add UConn and USF. Lose more? Add Temple and Memphis. The ACC has the advantage of having the AAC be relatively well positioned geographically to provide reasonable quality (not Temple) backfill, similar to the PAC-12/MWC situation

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Eh they took Oklahoma. They have so much money they don't even care.

Lol…ah, no.

It’s not their money.

ESPN would have to be convinced that the state of South Carolina is worth $120M+ a year…that’s not happening.

Reaction Score
The ACC and BE will have to merge. One side will have football, the other basketball.

Add UConn to the BC, Cuse, Pitt, VT, Virginia, Duke, NC St, Wake, GTech conference and they have balance.

Suspect NC is headed out with Clemson, Miami and FSU.
The ACC would not touch the Big East. A merger with the Big East would be a disaster for the remaining ACC schools and UConn. I think Notre Dame would nix anything involving the Big East.

Reaction Score
The ACC would not touch the Big East. A merger with the Big East would be a disaster for the remaining ACC schools and UConn. I think Notre Dame would nix anything involving the Big East.
???

Notre Dame will not be affiliated with a rump ACC.

We're talking about the ACC getting picked apart. The remains would be schools like Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, NC State, VT... not sure why you believe these schools are somehow too good for the BE. They're not. Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Louisville obviously have already been in the BE

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
???

We're talking about the ACC getting picked apart. The remains would be schools like Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, NC State, VT... not sure why you believe these schools are somehow too good for the BE. They're not. Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Louisville obviously have already been in the BE
Because the big east makes just a little over $.10 on the dollar with the ACC does?

Reaction Score
???

Just like that? Notre Dame bolts the ACC in ALL sports???? Where would they go? You do realize that hundreds of division one ND male and female student athletes are from the area of the ACC’s present footprint. Do they really want to upend all of their D1 sports teams, just to join the B1G. What if Notre Dame says “hey wait a minute Clemson, UNC, FSU, Miami……let’s talk this over, football wise.

Reaction Score
Just like that? Notre Dame bolts the ACC in ALL sports???? Where would they go? You do realize that hundreds of division one ND male and female student athletes are from the area of the ACC’s present footprint. Do they really want to upend all of their D1 sports teams, just to join the B1G. What if Notre Dame says “hey wait a minute Clemson, UNC, FSU, Miami……let’s talk this over, football wise.
A reconstituted ACC is not going to suit ND at all. Why would they talk to schools not in the ACC any more? I dont understand your question.

Reaction Score
Because the big east makes just a little over $.10 on the dollar with the ACC does?
That's really irrelevant to what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the ACC getting picked apart.

Reaction Score
???

I cannot believe you’re trying to equate Seton Hall, StJohns, Providence, Butler, and Georgetown with Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake, Georgia Tech, Duke, and even BC and Cuse. You’re comparing the Catholic Basketball only schools which are on life support to the Major Leagues, schools that take in millions every year.

Reaction Score
A reconstituted ACC is not going to suit ND at all. Why would they talk to schools not in the ACC any more? I dont understand your question.
What question? I never asked one, I made a statement, and you replied with your thinking cap on the floor.

Reaction Score
I cannot believe you’re trying to equate Seton Hall, StJohns, Providence, Butler, and Georgetown with Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake, Georgia Tech, Duke, and even BC and Cuse. You’re comparing the Catholic Basketball only schools which are on life support to the Major Leagues, schools that take in millions every year.
Who is comparing what? I think you've lost your mind. No one here said Seton Hall is the equal of Virginia.

Reaction Score
What question? I never asked one, I made a statement, and you replied with your thinking cap on the floor.
Next time you make a statement, don't start with the words "What if..."?

Reaction Score
What schools are you talking about not in the ACC??? If ND gets guarantees that Clemson, Miami, UNC, and FSU are staying in the ACC, you have an attractive football nucleus to build on. The big question is would ND reciprocate and join the ACC in football, I think they would if they get an in conference schedule that is 1 or 2 games less than everyone else.

Reaction Score
Next time you make a statement, don't start with the words "What if..."?
I don’t see a “What if” anywhere in my original post that you jumped on. It was a statement. If I did use a “what if” in a later post I think I said “What if “upstater” could score more than 82 on the Wexler Adult Intelligence Test”?

The ACC and BE will have to merge. One side will have football, the other basketball.

Add UConn to the BC, Cuse, Pitt, VT, Virginia, Duke, NC St, Wake, GTech conference and they have balance.

Suspect NC is headed out with Clemson, Miami and FSU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom