Bilas Nat Champ pick | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bilas Nat Champ pick

Reaction Score
What a bizarre world where ESPN is more realistic about this team than 90% of this board
To be fair, they don't watch the games. The team hasn't been great in one possession games, and the team under Hurley is 0-2 in the NCAA as the higher seed. Now, I don't think a 10 beating a 7 is an upset (though 7s win 60% of the time), but losing as a 5 last year hurt. The team didn't look great in either of those games, either. 1 game is somewhat meaningless, 2 games can be variance, but it might be a trend.

I think the board is way too down on the team after the loss to Marquette by 2, but I get the skepticism given the team has never won any thing in the post-season.

Has Hurley? Yes, at URI he won an A10 tournament and won NCAA tournament games his last two years here—2017 as an 11 over a 6 (and almost beat 3 Oregon the next round), and then as a 7 (over Trae Young's 10 Oklahoma).

The team just needs the monkey off their back. I think they're very good, but I don't think they will likely win a title because (a) that's unlikely no matter the team, and (b) they haven't proven the ability to remain consistent in a close game under 5 minutes left.

BUT: if the refs call the games like they did pre-BE, and Jordan Hawkins finds his stroke, I'm very happy to be wrong.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
What’s wild is that people on here continue to post nonsense like this.
Wild, that Bama game was was scoreless until the 17:05 mark.
That win is by far the biggest reason there exists the optimism among pundits, amateurs, and Husky fans that we are elite and CAN BE elite. Looking at our resume without that win.. it’s good… it’s solid…
But nothing to hang our hats on.
Looking at that double digit romping over the #1 overall seed bleeds the confidence that this can and will defeat anyone.
Thank goodness for the PK tournement.

Reaction Score
I think most of us who are still skeptical about the team making a deep run are being realistic. Our biggest problems are Hurley's late game coaching in tight games and the fact that this team lacks an alpha killer that can consistently make plays in crunch time like our previous championship teams have had. I would argue those are the two most important attributes to a Final Four caliber team and we just don't have them. We very well might be the most talented and deep team in the country, but talent and depth will only get us so far. At some point in this tournament we'll have to be able to execute and win a nail biter against a top team, and I just don't know if Hurley and this group are capable of that.
Thank you for proving my point for me

Reaction Score
To be fair, they don't watch the games. The team hasn't been great in one possession games, and the team under Hurley is 0-2 in the NCAA as the higher seed. Now, I don't think a 10 beating a 7 is an upset (though 7s win 60% of the time), but losing as a 5 last year hurt. The team didn't look great in either of those games, either. 1 game is somewhat meaningless, 2 games can be variance, but it might be a trend.

I think the board is way too down on the team after the loss to Marquette by 2, but I get the skepticism given the team has never won any thing in the post-season.

Has Hurley? Yes, at URI he won an A10 tournament and won NCAA tournament games his last two years here—2017 as an 11 over a 6 (and almost beat 3 Oregon the next round), and then as a 7 (over Trae Young's 10 Oklahoma).

The team just needs the monkey off their back. I think they're very good, but I don't think they will likely win a title because (a) that's unlikely no matter the team, and (b) they haven't proven the ability to remain consistent in a close game under 5 minutes left.

BUT: if the refs call the games like they did pre-BE, and Jordan Hawkins finds his stroke, I'm very happy to be wrong.
I can at least sort of understand the skepticism about making it past the second weekend and making a deep run. But half the board is terrified of Iona. It makes no sense and I'm not convinced those people are even watching games either

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
And none of the CBS guys picked us … weird

They went all chalk, which is the norm.

ESPN was the exception this year

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think most of us who are still skeptical about the team making a deep run are being realistic. Our biggest problems are Hurley's late game coaching in tight games and the fact that this team lacks an alpha killer that can consistently make plays in crunch time like our previous championship teams have had. I would argue those are the two most important attributes to a Final Four caliber team and we just don't have them. We very well might be the most talented and deep team in the country, but talent and depth will only get us so far. At some point in this tournament we'll have to be able to execute and win a nail biter against a top team, and I just don't know if Hurley and this group are capable of that.

I think most of you that "are skeptical" about this team are as far from realistic as one can be.

It's like you have no idea what highest level of competition is. Success, growth and winning is really all about skill, perseverance and a little luck. You think it's simple, when it's all extremely hard. The best thing any fan can really hope for is the be in the conversation, and we are

What is realistic is to suggest it's hard to win the national championship. Only one team in the country can do that

We've already exceeded expectations in every way known to college basketball, yet you "realistic" fans (A/K/A Hurley Haters) somehow find failure in that.

I think many "realistic" fans are emotionally invested in seeing Hurley lose. All so damn bizarre to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I checked out the ESPN.COM site. UConn is the only team 4th seed or lower that is classified as five star. Gonzaga is the only team seeded 1 thru 3 that is not a Five star.

• Five stars means a team has it all, and we wouldn't be surprised if it made a run to Houston.

In 2011, Kemba Walker led a 3-seed Huskies in one of most miraculous national title runs in NCAA tournament history. The Huskies of 2023 boast the same potential. Yes, they suffered seven losses in league play. But they a résumé few can match. Wins over Alabama, Oregon, Iowa State, Creighton and Marquette suggest this program can compete with any team in the field. Adama Sanogo (16.9 PPG 7.2 RPG) is a force, and one of the reasons UConn owns the nation's top offensive rebounding rate. He's surrounded by two players (Jordan Hawkins, Alex Karaban) who both shot more than 38% from 3 this season. Tristen Newton (10.1 PPG) is one of the most balanced players in the Big East. And Danny Hurley's team is ranked top-15 in both adjusted offensive and defensive efficiency. Nothing underdog about these Huskies. 5 stars

Reaction Score

As much as the boys need to win some games, Hurley needs it more. The albatross is around his neck. My biggest worry is those vibes are felt by the players and can fuel panic. Making it out of the first weekend successfully Should do wonders for them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Bilas has always been more than fair to us. Seems like a lot of love from the ESPN crew.
Not always.

In any event, for all our flaws, there’s a lot to like about us.

(Still doomed.)

Reaction Score
I think most of you that "are skeptical" about this team are as far from realistic as one can be.

It's like you have no idea what highest level of competition is. Success, growth and winning is really all about skill, perseverance and a little luck. You think it's simple, when it's all extremely hard. The best thing any fan can really hope for is the be in the conversation, and we are

What is realistic is to suggest it's hard to win the national championship. Only one team in the country can do that

We've already exceeded expectations in every way known to college basketball, yet you "realistic" fans (A/K/A Hurley Haters) somehow find failure in that.

I think many "realistic" fans are emotionally invested in seeing Hurley lose. All so damn bizarre to me.
I am not a Hurley hater, far from it in fact. He's done a phenomenal job rebuilding the dumpster fire that was left by Ollie, but we are now in year 5 of the Hurley era and the facts are these:

• We've finished #323, #270, #285, #304, and now #355 (dead last) in team win % in "close games"
  • We've failed to finish higher than 3rd in the conference regular season
  • We've failed to advance past the semifinals of the conference tournament
  • We've failed to win a game in the NCAA tournament

Now the Ides of March are upon us yet again and if Hurley doesn't deliver a VERY doable S16 appearance this postseason, then I and a lot of fans will start getting close to calling for him to get Caesared.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Please explain how UConn this season and under DH has exceeded expectations in every way known to college basketball.
Has UConn had an undefeated NBE conference record, won a NBE regular season title, a NBE tournament title, has UConn been awarded a top seed in the NCAA? Has UConn won any NCAA games as a higher seed recently?
Being skeptical is now reaching into the zenith of lacking realism in your world?
Wow - it must be a true burden for you to carry the title of being the true believer and torch carrier for DH and UConn.
I know competition and have coached at very high levels and have been a UConn fan most likely longer than you have been on this earth. In am skeptical about a lot of things UConn basketball lately but this doesn’t stand in the way of wanting them to succeed.

Reaction Score
Every single national reporter that works for the espn must not know Han Durrrley can’t coach. Someone must warn them before they look like fools!
just off a bit, here, but didn't UC court Shaka Smart, during the last coaching search. For some reason, I thought his name had been mentioned.

Reaction Score
just off a bit, here, but didn't UC court Shaka Smart, during the last coaching search. For some reason, I thought his name had been mentioned.
There were strong rumors that he would be the hire when Calhoun stepped down. It seems pretty clear Calhoun stepped down as late as he did to force Ollie into the position and hamstring an AD that was going to do a national search ending in Smart.

It seems pretty clear Smart would have been a huge success here. Would we have title #4, though?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Bilas has changed it to Arizona over UConn

They are from the conference of champions

Nba All Star Sport GIF by NBA

Reaction Score
Bilas now has Arizona beating UConn in the title game. Stanford Steve wants nothing to do with UConn, thinks Iona's speed will expose UConn's lack of no true point guard.

Reaction Score
Bilas now has Arizona beating UConn in the title game. Stanford Steve wants nothing to do with UConn, thinks Iona's speed will expose UConn's lack of no true point guard.
All fine and dandy but how is Iona going to handle our defense? I think the game will be competitive, but UCONN has too much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom