Big XII Expansion 2024+ | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Big XII Expansion 2024+

Reaction Score
Why would the Big 12 be remotely interested in that? Why would we be remotely interested in that?

We’re going to leave the Big East for that? Come on.
I mean the goal would be to get FB respectable enough to become an all sports member. Big East/Big 12 basketball is basically a wash quality wise.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I mean the goal would be to get FB respectable enough to become an all sports member. Big East/Big 12 basketball is basically a wash quality wise.
In what planet is the Big East an equal basketball league to the Big 12?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Playing two games agains the Big 12 isn’t going to do that any faster than our current two or three games against the ACC.

And the Big East>Big 12 when you’re UConn. If you think they are equal to us, lordy, you are adrift.

Also, the fact that you kids have created this scenario out of thin air is kind of impressive. No one in the real world would have ever come up with it.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Playing two games agains the Big 12 isn’t going to do that any faster than our current two or three games against the ACC.

And the Big East>Big 12 when you’re UConn. If you think they are equal to us, lordy, you are adrift.

Also, the fact that you kids have created this scenario out of thin air is kind of impressive. No one in the real world would have ever come up with it.
The only way UConn goes to the Big 12 is if they go with all sports. A basketball + Olympic sports only move does absolutely nothing for the school.

It would be a great thing for us to have a pipeline into Texas and play games against those teams. Plus it’s easily the top hoops league and a great baseball conference as well. It would be a home run athletically even if we have to deal with the ESPN nonsense again.

Reaction Score

I get what you're saying but it would be 4 not 2. Also don't confuse thinking it's not a terrible idea with thinking I belive it is going to happen.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Kudos for coming up with something more illogical than the basketball-only line of thought.
This was a bad take. And your defense of it is worse.

Reaction Score
Ahem, this entire section of the board is fantasy. Sober posts need not apply!
He doesn't spend a lot of time here, which means he's smarter than us by default.

Reaction Score
Based on what could be another B1G NCAA tournament flameout
The B1G might be interested in us for basketball
Spread that rumor , along with us being courted by the the B12 and
having PAC academic credentials .
You never know what could happen .

Reaction Score
I just dont see UConn joining as basketball only. Gotta be all or nothing.

That would have a probability of 0. Where do you place the Olympic sports, in the MAC? Not happening. I could see us join without Football, if offered, if.

Reading internet smoke signals, it appears that UConn was talking to B12, then it fell apart, and now we are back to discussions. Who knows if this is true, but let’s hope it may be related to an all sports agreement.

Travel is no longer a concern, conferences are coast to coast and will go all 4 corners. <start joke> Open up the equivalent of UConn Stamford in Dallas and place the baseball team there, all classes virtual, play in Frisco as weather allows. Build guest quarters for traveling Olympic teams. wtfn <end joke>

GG

Reaction Score
That would have a probability of 0. Where do you place the Olympic sports, in the MAC? Not happening. I could see us join without Football, if offered, if.

Reading internet smoke signals, it appears that UConn was talking to B12, then it fell apart, and now we are back to discussions. Who knows if this is true, but let’s hope it may be related to an all sports agreement.

Travel is no longer a concern, conferences are coast to coast and will go all 4 corners. <start joke> Open up the equivalent of UConn Stamford in Dallas and place the baseball team there, all classes virtual, play in Frisco as weather allows. Build guest quarters for traveling Olympic teams. wtfn <end joke>
Rumor is all sports but football. No idea if true.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Rumor is all sports but football. No idea if true.
That makes zero sense for us, unless there was a dedicated path to football joining with a specific timeline.

GG

Reaction Score
There is literally no benefit to UCONN for this…unless the Big is offering big $$.
Rumor is Nova and Saint Johns as well. Eastern pod is created. UCONN gets a scheduling alliance for football. Again, no idea is there is truth in any of this but it is being thrown around on Twitter. Also speculation that Fox is behind this and does not need BE basketball content going forward.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
There is literally no benefit to UCONN for this…unless the Big is offering big $$.
If there’s a football phase-in on the table, it could work. I’m not a fan of doing that necessarily but it might be workable. All sports except football in a P5 is still closer to P5 football than just being in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Rumor is Nova and Saint Johns as well. Eastern pod is created. UCONN gets a scheduling alliance for football. Again, no idea is there is truth in any of this but it is being thrown around on Twitter. Also speculation that Fox is behind this and does not need BE basketball content going forward.
How Much $$

GG

Reaction Score
How Much $$
How Much $$
No idea. But I guess the concern from schools like Villanova and UConn is that the TV deal for the Big East will not be very good and Fox will not be participating bc they have enough content. But fox wants the New York market and their top BE Schools to find a home. Again, no idea at all if any of this is remotely true, just summarizing what I have read on Twitter and iMessage boards

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
How Much $$
Let’s say that the next Big East media deal it’s worth $8 million per school per year. Let’s further assume that the added travel costs of being in the big 12 are $2 million per school per year. Under those assumptions and offer of $10 million per year per school to join the big 12 would effectively be breakeven. So, one would think that the number needs to be materially more than that to induce a big east conference school to join. What’s the right number, then? Probably $13M - 15M.

The problem is that basketball rights have been valued at about 20% of the rights for all sports in a conference (using the Notre Dame/ACC deal as a benchmark.). So, for the basketball only schools to get $13-$15 million, the rest of the big 12 deal should be worth say $65-$75 million. They aren’t going to get that. So, either the big 12 gives the Big East conference schools greater than “fair market value“ for joining the conference, or ESPN decides that it’s worthwhile to pay a premium for select basketball schools, so that the amount needed to be paid for the schools that remain in the big east conference is reduced.

I’m having a little difficulty seeing the numbers working out, but it is possible. Again, though, the only way I would be interested in this is if Connecticut was either brought on in all sports, or there was a defined path to joining for all sports with a narrow and specific timeline.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
There is much we don’t know including what the BE might fetch in their contract renewal and what the linear tv exposure will be in that new media deal. Hard to imagine the next deal has the same amount of prime time - wall to wall coverage we have under the current contract.

If the deal to move to the B12 is a financial net wash, but Nova and say either St John’s or Gtown are going and it means more nationally televised games because the BE renewal is about to land in steaming world you have to take it.

If Fox is engineering this and it’s likely the case, then it’s just like when ESPN devised and aided the ACC raid of the old BE.

Btw- I find it interesting that Gtown and St John’s are racing to make very splashy coaching hires. Very interesting.

Reaction Score
No idea. But I guess the concern from schools like Villanova and UConn is that the TV deal for the Big East will not be very good and Fox will not be participating bc they have enough content. But fox wants the New York market and their top BE Schools to find a home. Again, no idea at all if any of this is remotely true, just summarizing what I have read on Twitter and iMessage boards
This is interesting and (cautiously) encouraging info for us husky fans. I don’t have twitter, nor do i interact with anyone on iMessage boards, but it seems to me that every time a non key tweet gets posted about this topic on the boneyard, it gets dismissed as unreliable, and from my perspective, for good reason. But one thing seems to keep re-emerging amongst the rumors, is that UConn is in the conversation with the B12 expansion, which leads me to believe that this is something to legitimately pay attention to. Does anyone on twitter or iMessage boards share how they have this info or are they just speculating? Is anyone actually connected to the movers and shakers of B12 expansion?

Reaction Score
Let’s say that the next Big East media deal it’s worth $8 million per school per year. Let’s further assume that the added travel costs of being in the big 12 are $2 million per school per year. Under those assumptions and offer of $10 million per year per school to join the big 12 would effectively be breakeven. So, one would think that the number needs to be materially more than that to induce a big east conference school to join. What’s the right number, then? Probably $13M - 15M.

The problem is that basketball rights have been valued at about 20% of the rights for all sports in a conference (using the Notre Dame/ACC deal as a benchmark.). So, for the basketball only schools to get $13-$15 million, the rest of the big 12 deal should be worth say $65-$75 million. They aren’t going to get that. So, either the big 12 gives the Big East conference schools greater than “fair market value“ for joining the conference, or ESPN decides that it’s worthwhile to pay a premium for select basketball schools, so that the amount needed to be paid for the schools that remain in the big east conference is reduced.

I’m having a little difficulty seeing the numbers working out, but it is possible. Again, though, the only way I would be interested in this is if Connecticut was either brought on in all sports, or there was a defined path to joining for all sports with a narrow and specific timeline.
Perhaps you could figure in your calculation, in the current model basketball is worth about 20%. [Good & bad football, good & bad basketball]. In a model where a conference is adding only top level basketball only members, that % might increase because each new basketball program is top tier, not a USC or Oklahoma, no offense. By adding top basketball, you are elevating the basketball conference and making the others thusly more valuable. Just spitballing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom