Big XII Expansion 2024+ | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Big XII Expansion 2024+

Reaction Score
Why bring in subsidies? Because people are saying that Cincy will be able to invest more in athletics when the administration is saying they want to reduce the subsidy. Thus, how can Cincy invest more in athletics if the conference money goes to reducing the deficit?
Almost all schools with major sports programs have some sort of subsidy. In 3 years when they're getting 40MM from the conference vs the 10MM now, they can reduce the subsidy by 20MM and invest 10MM more into olympic sports. Or they can eliminate the subsidy entirely. Then they'll start getting more playoff money and the payout will be 50MM. It's a good problem that I wish UConn had.

Reaction Score
Almost all schools with major sports programs have some sort of subsidy. In 3 years when they're getting 40MM from the conference vs the 10MM now, they can reduce the subsidy by 20MM and invest 10MM more into olympic sports. Or they can eliminate the subsidy entirely. Then they'll start getting more playoff money and the payout will be 50MM. It's a good problem that I wish UConn had.
Of course getting more money is a good situation. My point is that the extra revenues will not all go into investment. Their subsidy is about $30 million per year and they are expected to get $30 million of additional revenues, at least initially. In the current Big 12, the average subsidy excluding Texas, Oklahoma, and Baylor is close to zero. Don't get me wrong, UConn would be in the same situation and there would be incredible pressure to take the new revenue to decrease the subsidy.

Reaction Score
You lost me at "travel costs." Have you looked at the AAC?

Cincinnati plays in Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma, Philadelphia, two cities in Florida, Louisiana, Memphis.
In the Big 12 they play in Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, one city in Florida, Kansas and Iowa. Not sure how that is worse at all. Very occasionally they'll play in Utah. Conference tourney in KC instead of Fort Worth (KC is a lot closer.)
Here's how travel costs go up for Cincy. The average flight distance increase in the Big 12 for Cincy is about 150 miles per school so that is some cost increase. The bigger issue for Cincy is that Olympic sports generally fly commercial and the Big 12 schools are not located in ideal locations for commercial flights relative to the AAC. In the Big 12, you have towns like Lubbock, TX, Waco, TX, Manhattan, KS, Ames, Iowa, Stillwater, Oklahoma.

The Cincinnati AD has already discussed the increase in travel costs:

On the increased travel/logistical costs in the Big 12:

"We've had a lot of discussions about that obviously over the last several months, and we know travel-wise there'll be some additional expenses. We know that we are going to have to step up in certain areas, and so we are starting to build that all out in a three- five- seven-year timeline in terms of how we budget this, but we expect to compete day one."

Reaction Score
Here's how travel costs go up for Cincy. The average flight distance increase in the Big 12 for Cincy is about 150 miles per school so that is some cost increase. The bigger issue for Cincy is that Olympic sports generally fly commercial and the Big 12 schools are not located in ideal locations for commercial flights relative to the AAC. In the Big 12, you have towns like Lubbock, TX, Waco, TX, Manhattan, KS, Ames, Iowa, Stillwater, Oklahoma.

The Cincinnati AD has already discussed the increase in travel costs:

On the increased travel/logistical costs in the Big 12:

"We've had a lot of discussions about that obviously over the last several months, and we know travel-wise there'll be some additional expenses. We know that we are going to have to step up in certain areas, and so we are starting to build that all out in a three- five- seven-year timeline in terms of how we budget this, but we expect to compete day one."
Yes a few bus rides are going to be longer which will add "some" expense. I don't see any way it's more than a million dollars a year. This isn't a UCLA/USC type of situation. 50MM revenue vs <10MM revenue for a bit more in travel costs and a huge reduction is subsidy. Plus travel costs are increasing for everyone across the board. That's a much bigger concern for AAC or C-USA teams with far flung conferences and very little revenue coming in.

Reaction Score
Yes a few bus rides are going to be longer which will add "some" expense. I don't see any way it's more than a million dollars a year. This isn't a UCLA/USC type of situation. 50MM revenue vs <10MM revenue for a bit more in travel costs and a huge reduction is subsidy. Plus travel costs are increasing for everyone across the board. That's a much bigger concern for AAC or C-USA teams with far flung conferences and very little revenue coming in.
Some estimates are $2 to $3 million in additional travel costs, although the Cincy AD has not confirmed.

Reaction Score
Some estimates are $2 to $3 million in additional travel costs, although the Cincy AD has not confirmed.
Who's estimates? There's just no freaking way. The AAC is nearly equally as bad for Cincinnati as the Big 12. The closest trip for Cincinnati right now is what Memphis at 500 miles away? Now at least they have West Virginia (300 miles.) I get how it would cost UConn $2-3MM in the Big 12 vs the Big East. Is that maybe where you saw that figure?

Reaction Score
Who's estimates? There's just no freaking way. The AAC is nearly equally as bad for Cincinnati as the Big 12. The closest trip for Cincinnati right now is what Memphis at 500 miles away? Now at least they have West Virginia (300 miles.) I get how it would cost UConn $2-3MM in the Big 12 vs the Big East. Is that maybe where you saw that figure?
Honestly, I really don't care and we will find out soon enough, but I'll give you one more response.

First, the average school in the Big 12 is 150 miles further from Cincinnati than in the AAC and a charter can be $15k to $25k per hour. Next, most teams do not fly charter and many of the Big 12 schools can not be reached by direct flight or they require a 1 hour+ bus ride from the airport. All AAC schools were direct flights from Cincinnati, except Wichita St., although you did have to drive to ECU from Raleigh. Finally, there is a balance between cost and time. Do you spend more money on travel to reduce the amount of class time kids miss? Seems that is the plan.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It must suck so much to be UNM and hear about the “4C” schools.
I'm curious as to the population growth of the four states from 1960 to today. I could be wrong but I believe New Mexico lags substantially behind the other three in this.

Reaction Score
Kansas chatter. It seems everyone is wasting just as much time as we are on this. I have no idea if this guy is right but UConn is being discussed, which is nice.

"If we speculate that the 4 corners, Gonzaga, Villanova, UCONN (bball only), and pick one other Big East school get offered to join, Fox would replace the inventory it needs from the Big East post-2025 (as they have also gained more inventory with the inclusion of UCLA and USC, and possibly Oregon and Washington if the PAC collapses). They wouldn’t need to bid on re-upping the Big East deal in 2025 having grabbed the best inventory to pair up with current Big 12 teams. Fox would pony up an extra $88 mil per year (for the 8 total new schools, and ESPN would do $80 mil per year extra for the 4 new all sports schools, or perhaps they split the costs on the basketball only schools). So the 16 football schools would all still get their $31 mil, and the 4 new bball only schools would get $11 mil per year which is a nice bump for each of them."

Reaction Score
I'm curious as to the population growth of the four states from 1960 to today. I could be wrong but I believe New Mexico lags substantially behind the other three in this.
Let’s just say NM is not a place where people want to move to. You are correct about the states around them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I could see something in between. All sports, football with a minimum of a permanent scheduling arrangement minimum. You’d have to strongly consider it.

Kudos for coming up with something more illogical than the basketball-only line of thought.

Reaction Score
Kudos for coming up with something more illogical than the basketball-only line of thought.
Is that really that crazy? Two home and homes a year? Should be very doable.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is that really that crazy? Two home and homes a year? Should be very doable.

Why would the Big 12 be remotely interested in that? Why would we be remotely interested in that?

We’re going to leave the Big East for that? Come on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom