BIG TEN Regular Season | Page 8 | The Boneyard

BIG TEN Regular Season

Reaction Score
Just read that Michigan State AD advised that neither basketball team will play their games tomorrow. It's unclear whether they'll play this weekend.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Indiana takes down Ohio State at Columbus, 83-59, led by McKenzie Holmes amazingly efficient 33 points (15-18 from the field). Sara Scalia adds 24 off the bench, hitting 6 of 8 from three and Grace Berger has a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds, also dishing out 5 assists. Had a 24-12 lead after first quarter and just kept the pedal to the metal.

Noticed Ohio State didn't have Rebeka Mikulasikova, which couild partially explain Holmes' big night. Also noticed that Jacy Sheldon didn't play? I thought she came back? Did she reinjure herself?

Brutal year for Ohio State after a brilliant start. I thought this could have been their best squad under McGuff. So many injuries.

Reaction Score
Brutal year for Ohio State after a brilliant start. I thought this could have been their best squad under McGuff. So many injuries.
They looked really good to start the season. Similar to Indiana their team was beautifully constructed and made sense. Great veterans, great freshman. Sheldon leading on defense, very spread on on offense but a great mix of shooting and players who can attack the basket. It truly is a shame they couldn't get healthy. I was thinking Sheldon could probably redshirt but she has a COVID year anyway

Reaction Score
Just read that Michigan State AD advised that neither basketball team will play their games tomorrow. It's unclear whether they'll play this weekend.
Thanks for the update. Never an easy decision but in this case, great call by the AD. They also canceled classes at Michigan State.

Reaction Score
Yeah! They were on fire at the start of the year. I knew they were going to be good but not 18-0 good. But those injuries have hurt them big time. They are still decent. I mean 21-5 is nothing to sneeze at but with Michigan and Maryland around the corner. Yikes. Heck. Penn State might give them a run for their money in a few days.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
They talked about it during the game. Apparently she returned for the game versus Wisconsin, but has been out since. Sounds like she may have come back too soon.
Not super important, but she returned for the Maryland game and for only 25 minutes. Whether that's because the game was never in question or if she felt something was off, we don't know. McGuff repeatedly said they didn't want to bring her back until she could go 100% because they wanted her back for good. Her not playing since that game isn't great. I was at the Indiana game and she wasn't even putting shots up during warm-ups. So, who knows what's going on.

Indiana takes down Ohio State at Columbus, 83-59, led by McKenzie Holmes amazingly efficient 33 points (15-18 from the field). Sara Scalia adds 24 off the bench, hitting 6 of 8 from three and Grace Berger has a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds, also dishing out 5 assists. Had a 24-12 lead after first quarter and just kept the pedal to the metal.

Noticed Ohio State didn't have Rebeka Mikulasikova, which couild partially explain Holmes' big night. Also noticed that Jacy Sheldon didn't play? I thought she came back? Did she reinjure herself?
As for Mikulasikova, she tweaked her ankle against Minnesota and was a game day decision I believe. I say this genuinely, but I think Walker is a tougher matchup for Holmes. She's stronger and can keep her further from the basket, but Walker hasn't played so many minutes in the year so she got gassed because Holmes is craft and quick. Last game against IU, Mikulasikova played 17 minutes and was a non-factor. 1/6, 2rbs, 1 ast, 1 steal, 2 blocks, 3 fouls. Holmes shot 11/13 that game. That was also Scalia's best shooting night all season, because of course it was. Hadn't made more than 4 3's in a game this season then goes 6/8 from three. OSU played off her but then never adjusted, but that's exactly what you want from your shooter.

Not to doom and gloom, but at this point, if Jacy's not back by this next game, does she even return?

OSU has three regular season games left, currently sits 5th in the standings, could easily finish anywhere from 7th to 4th. If they aren't a 4 seed for the Big Ten Tournament, and win they would have potentially 3 games back-to-back. Not ideal for someone returning from injury and not fully in game shape. Then is there enough time before the tournament to get her back in the chemistry and game play with the team? Probably, but again we don't know what the injury is and the tournament opening weekend being two games in three days can be tough for someone dealing with a lingering, long-term injury.

Reaction Score
Not super important, but she returned for the Maryland game and for only 25 minutes. Whether that's because the game was never in question or if she felt something was off, we don't know. McGuff repeatedly said they didn't want to bring her back until she could go 100% because they wanted her back for good. Her not playing since that game isn't great. I was at the Indiana game and she wasn't even putting shots up during warm-ups. So, who knows what's going on.

As for Mikulasikova, she tweaked her ankle against Minnesota and was a game day decision I believe. I say this genuinely, but I think Walker is a tougher matchup for Holmes. She's stronger and can keep her further from the basket, but Walker hasn't played so many minutes in the year so she got gassed because Holmes is craft and quick. Last game against IU, Mikulasikova played 17 minutes and was a non-factor. 1/6, 2rbs, 1 ast, 1 steal, 2 blocks, 3 fouls. Holmes shot 11/13 that game. That was also Scalia's best shooting night all season, because of course it was. Hadn't made more than 4 3's in a game this season then goes 6/8 from three. OSU played off her but then never adjusted, but that's exactly what you want from your shooter.

Not to doom and gloom, but at this point, if Jacy's not back by this next game, does she even return?

OSU has three regular season games left, currently sits 5th in the standings, could easily finish anywhere from 7th to 4th. If they aren't a 4 seed for the Big Ten Tournament, and win they would have potentially 3 games back-to-back. Not ideal for someone returning from injury and not fully in game shape. Then is there enough time before the tournament to get her back in the chemistry and game play with the team? Probably, but again we don't know what the injury is and the tournament opening weekend being two games in three days can be tough for someone dealing with a lingering, long-term injury.
Appreciate the clarification. I thought the commentators said she played Wisconsin and sat out the Maryland game.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Mackenzie Holmes and Sara Scalia have announced they will be using their COVID year and will return to IU next season. Huge news did IU.

Reaction Score
Watched last night's game between Michigan and Indiana. Indiana pretty much dominated even though the score may not indicate it. While Michigan had the advantage in rebounding, their turnover issue came back to bite them in this game. Indiana also did a great job keeping Brown from getting whatever shot she wanted.

Really surprised at Michigan and their lack of composure. Playing in Indiana is always tough, especially with that crowd. Michigan seemed to have an issue with the lack of foul calls. You could see Brown react and look for the refs to do something any time she took a shot. Nolan getting that technical in the first half was the nail in the coffin from my perspective. They seemed to lose any sense of fight from that point onwards from my perspective.

Reaction Score
Mackenzie Holmes and Sara Scalia have announced they will be using their COVID year and will return to IU next season. Huge news did IU.

This is a surprise with regards to Holmes. Will Indiana be better than mediocre next season? They only have one top 100 recruit signed. I guess they'll hit the transfer portal hard.

Reaction Score
This is a surprise with regards to Holmes. Will Indiana be better than mediocre next season? They only have one top 100 recruit signed. I guess they'll hit the transfer portal hard.
Who knows, but they still have a good core on their roster. Moore-McNeil, Parrish and Garzon will be returning as starters. Meister is showing flashes as the next forward/post to take over from Holmes after the 2023-2024 season. An extra season training with Holmes will be a huge benefit to her and the team.

In fairness, I don't know why having only top 100 recruit for Indiana would matter. Moore-McNeil wasn't one and she's turned into a key player on the team and in the BIG10. Garzon has shown that she's more than capable as a freshman and the sky's the limit for her. Coach Moren seems more focused on fit than rankings to me.

Reaction Score

Shocked but good call for both ladies. MacKenzie is just a beast and she is only going to get better and add to her draft status in 2024. Sara has a chance to do the same.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Who knows, but they still have a good core on their roster. Moore-McNeil, Parrish and Garzon will be returning as starters. Meister is showing flashes as the next forward/post to take over from Holmes after the 2023-2024 season. An extra season training with Holmes will be a huge benefit to her and the team.

In fairness, I don't know why having only top 100 recruit for Indiana would matter. Moore-McNeil wasn't one and she's turned into a key player on the team and in the BIG10. Garzon has shown that she's more than capable as a freshman and the sky's the limit for her. Coach Moren seems more focused on fit than rankings to me.

To be exact, the only major player leaving Indiana at the end of the season is Grace Berger. Scalia will move (back) into the starting lineup with Moore-McNeil, Garzon, Parrish and the big Mac. Mediocre? I think they'll be odds-on favorites for the B1G title in 2023-24. Agree that Moren will then look for folks that fit in her philosophy. She'll find them: success begets success.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watched last night's game between Michigan and Indiana. Indiana pretty much dominated even though the score may not indicate it. While Michigan had the advantage in rebounding, their turnover issue came back to bite them in this game. Indiana also did a great job keeping Brown from getting whatever shot she wanted.

Really surprised at Michigan and their lack of composure. Playing in Indiana is always tough, especially with that crowd. Michigan seemed to have an issue with the lack of foul calls. You could see Brown react and look for the refs to do something any time she took a shot. Nolan getting that technical in the first half was the nail in the coffin from my perspective. They seemed to lose any sense of fight from that point onwards from my perspective.

Yeah. Michigan lost their composure out there with the no calls. They should know by now how to play through those moments like that. But tip my hat to Indiana. They continue to look and play like one of the top teams in the nation.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Michigan lost their composure out there with the no calls. They should know by now how to play through those moments like that. But tip my hat to Indiana. They continue to look and play like one of the top teams in the nation.
Definitely tip the cap to Indiana. It's just surprising how Michigan was reacting throughout the game.

There's so much talk about how much "swag" Brown has in her game, however I've been of the opinion that her emotions can get the best of her. Last night's game felt like an example of that.

It's was also very noticeable how much of an impact Phelia has on both ends of the court for Michigan. She had about 20 points during their game at Ann Arbor and is typically assigned to the player they want to shut down. She likely would have been matched up with Berger who is never easy to defend.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Definitely tip the cap to Indiana. It's just surprising how Michigan was reacting throughout the game.

There's so much talk about how much "swag" Brown has in her game, however I've been of the opinion that her emotions can get the best of her. Last night's game felt like an example of that.

It's was also very noticeable how much of an impact Phelia has on both ends of the court for Michigan. She had about 20 points during their game at Ann Arbor and is typically assigned to the player they want to shut down. She likely would have been matched up with Berger who is never easy to defend.
BTW, Phelia is a former H.S. teammate of ND's KK Bransford....

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score

Michigan desperately needs a POINT GUARD. There were times last night were there was an open player but Michigan could simply not take two dribbles and pass the ball. In addition to all the turnovers, there were sooo many passes that were just off the mark a bit, making the recipient bobble the ball and grinding their already slow offense to a halt. Leigha Brown is a great player but relying on her to both run the offense as well as "get hers" is a tall task for any player, especially with Phelia being injured. At least Phelia could take some of the pressure of Brown as a play maker. Michigan "looks" better with Ari Wiggins on the floor in that she brings speed and natural ball handling. But she is so utterly unwilling to shoot -- even with the defense sagged off her by 10 feet -- that her presence offensively did as much harm as good.

This is not a surprise. Holmes had announced last year that she planned to use her COVID year. The Scalia one hadn't been confirmed but she had indicated when she entered the portal that she was looking for a program that would allow her to play two years and not one. Berger is obviously their best all around guard, but I still think Indiana will be nearly as good next year without her. Maybe not a 1-seed but definitely hosting first round NCAA tourney games.

Reaction Score
Mediocre? I think they'll be odds-on favorites for the B1G title.
Based on what. Iowa still has Clark who is still the best player in the conference. Maryland will have 9 top 100 players on their roster unless transfers happen. You never know with that team. The Big 10 will be a little down next season but I'm not impressed with Indiana for next season. Even with Holmes.

Reaction Score
Based on what. Iowa still has Clark who is still the best player in the conference. Maryland will have 9 top 100 players on their roster unless transfers happen. You never know with that team. The Big 10 will be a little down next season but I'm not impressed with Indiana for next season. Even with Holmes.
1) Iowa loses Czinano as she's using her COVID year. Stuelke has shown she's coming along, but they're losing a reliable post presence who they could bank on 20 points/game with. O'Grady and Goodman are question marks as Bluder hasn't gone to them as much as I thought she would this season. Can't recall if Martin, Warnock and Marshall will use their COVID year, however they haven't been as reliable as they've been known to be in previous seasons. Davis is a 5th year and won't be returning.

2) Yes, Maryland will have 9 top 100 players, but how many times has that really benefitted them over the last 3 - 4 years? They win the BIG10 and then fizzle out during the tournament. This season has been hit and miss for them as well. And who will be their post presence? Honestly I don't know but this has been an area they've been challenged with this season.

3) Indiana has been competitive on a consistent basis the last few years, without a plethora of top 100 players on their roster. Again, it seems that Moren goes with fit over ranking. Until the season ends, the transfer portal opens in March and teams ramp up for the 2023 season, it's hard to predict how the BIG10 will shake out. I wouldn't discount Indiana however because of their class isn't littered with highly ranked players.

Personally the whole ranking thing gets to me because I continue to see more of these players fail to meet expectations while lesser known players catch up and surpass them. It's all marketing in the end to sell tickets. Sometimes it pays off but it seems like it doesn't more often than naught.

Reaction Score
Indiana will return a first-team AA (Holmes), maybe the league's best freshman (Garzon), an elite defender (Moore-McNeil) and great shooters (Parrish + Scalia), all of whom will have another year in the system. Plus two top 100 recruits and whatever transfers Moren finds.

Iowa loses Czinano, who's more important to that offense than Berger than is to Indiana

Maryland still doesn't have a post player on the roster, and a couple of those top 100 recruits (Cooke, Reynolds) don't look like they'll amount to much at this level.

If anyone but Indiana is the favorite, it'll be a surprise.

Reaction Score
Michigan desperately needs a POINT GUARD. There were times last night were there was an open player but Michigan could simply not take two dribbles and pass the ball. In addition to all the turnovers, there were sooo many passes that were just off the mark a bit, making the recipient bobble the ball and grinding their already slow offense to a halt. Leigha Brown is a great player but relying on her to both run the offense as well as "get hers" is a tall task for any player, especially with Phelia being injured. At least Phelia could take some of the pressure of Brown as a play maker. Michigan "looks" better with Ari Wiggins on the floor in that she brings speed and natural ball handling. But she is so utterly unwilling to shoot -- even with the defense sagged off her by 10 feet -- that her presence offensively did as much harm as good.

This is not a surprise. Holmes had announced last year that she planned to use her COVID year. The Scalia one hadn't been confirmed but she had indicated when she entered the portal that she was looking for a program that would allow her to play two years and not one. Berger is obviously their best all around guard, but I still think Indiana will be nearly as good next year without her. Maybe not a 1-seed but definitely hosting first round NCAA tourney games.

Agreed. Said it in a previous post that Phelia should have had more time at that position last season to help with this year. Wiggins is bloody perplexing to me. I'm on the fence with your comment that Michigan looks better. In games I've seen her play, she's been skittish and you couldn't have her on the court for more than a few minutes. I think her time out last year due to injuries hampered her development and she may be finally catching up. Last night she seemed more composed, but definitely afraid to shoot.

Michigan next season is going to be interesting. They seem to have a decent nucleus of guards with Phelia, Hobbs and Wiggins. Brown and Kiser will have used their COVID years. Williams hasn't developed into a post presence they can rely on for more than 15 minutes a game (yet). Haven't seen Varejo play at all this season. Who will fill this spot for them? Evans isn't really a post player, so who's coming in with their 2023 class to help plug the gap?

Reaction Score
Indiana will return a first-team AA (Holmes), maybe the league's best freshman (Garzon), an elite defender (Moore-McNeil) and great shooters (Parrish + Scalia), all of whom will have another year in the system. Plus two top 100 recruits and whatever transfers Moren finds.

Iowa loses Czinano, who's more important to that offense than Berger than is to Indiana

Maryland still doesn't have a post player on the roster, and a couple of those top 100 recruits (Cooke, Reynolds) don't look like they'll amount to much at this level.

If anyone but Indiana is the favorite, it'll be a surprise.
Indiana blew out a very good UNC team w/out Berger. All of those players are returning. They will be pretty good next year so I’d say they’re the favorites too.

Iowa’s success will depend on if the freshman Stuelke fills in for Czinano.

MD should be decent too if Briggs reverts back to her FL self. Sellers will be the go to player next year for sure.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
1) Iowa loses Czinano as she's using her COVID year. Stuelke has shown she's coming along, but they're losing a reliable post presence who they could bank on 20 points/game with. O'Grady and Goodman are question marks as Bluder hasn't gone to them as much as I thought she would this season. Can't recall if Martin, Warnock and Marshall will use their COVID year, however they haven't been as reliable as they've been known to be in previous seasons. Davis is a 5th year and won't be returning.
-Davis still has another year and it's been implied she's returning along with Martin, but no official word yet. Martin is the most versatile player in Iowa's lineup and is having a career season from the 3 point line. Warnock maintaining her elite 3p% as well. It's only Marshall who's been slumping.
-The team has a much higher defensive ceiling with an O'Grady/Stuelke frontcourt than with Czinano/Warnock. Question is whether that difference is enough to compensate for the loss of offensive efficiency and spacing on the other end.
MD should be decent too if Briggs reverts back to her FL self. Sellers will be the go to player next year for sure.
Briggs has shown next to nothing all season and was never an efficient scorer even at Maryland. Sellers has proven herself a very valuable two-way player this season but I struggle seeing her as the #1 offensive option on a top 10 team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom