BIG TEN Regular Season | Page 7 | The Boneyard

BIG TEN Regular Season

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Question for the Hawk fans here. What's the deal with Gabby Marshall? She's struggled all year long from three, shooting 24%. That shot was sort of her jam her first three years. Is this related to injury? I seem to recall her having a shoulder injury last season.
I don't know exactly what's going on. At this point I think it's mental more than anything. I'm fine with her continuing to play because we need her defense.

Fans have speculated about that injury last season affecting her shooting, but I think that's just fans making up rumors trying to explain something we have no explanation for. Fans have been known to do that. :) Her shooting in the second half of last season was just fine which kinda invalidates that theory IMO.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Jacy Sheldon listed as available today for OSU vs Maryland. !

Reaction Score
It was only Penn St., but Clark had another triple double. She won't get near Ionescu, but she's accumulating a fair number of them.
And she had back-to-back games a week or so ago when she missed a trip-doub by either one assist or one rebound.

For those who are counting, in the same number of games, Caitlin is just nine assists shy of Nika's total for the national lead, translating roughly to 8.6 to 8.2 per.

I expect both to pile up assists in games to come. Nika might have the edge because UConn's schedule will be softer, but it should be interesting.

While she's in pursuit of assist laurels, Clark also is now trailing Maddy Siegrist, 28.3 to 27.6, for the national scoring lead.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
I don't know exactly what's going on. At this point I think it's mental more than anything. I'm fine with her continuing to play because we need her defense.

Fans have speculated about that injury last season affecting her shooting, but I think that's just fans making up rumors trying to explain something we have no explanation for. Fans have been known to do that. :) Her shooting in the second half of last season was just fine which kinda invalidates that theory IMO.
It's all confidence with Gabbie Marshall now. Iowa men's player Payton Sandfort was going through an extended slump to start the year and he said Gabbie and he spoke often about their shooting woes.

Reaction Score
Michigan beat archrival Michigan State. Leigha Brown and Maddie Nolan both played well. Leigha missed a triple double by two assists.

Rutgers beat Wisconsin. Coach Moseley has her work cut out for her in Wisconsin.

Minnesota takes an L against Illinois. Illinois might surprise a few teams in the Big Ten Tournament.

Iowa continues to look unstoppable. Same with Indiana in their win against rival Purdue.

Maryland just beats Ohio State in an impressive showing. Ohio State is just in free fall mode. They were one of the hottest teams just a week or two ago and now, just struggling.

Reaction Score
Iowa vs Indiana on Thursday should be a great game! Looking forward to that one. I'll give the edge to Indiana as they'll be at home and they play a lot better defense than Iowa. They're also a lot taller than them. But then again, another great Caitlin performance and Iowa could take the W. I think the matchup between Monika Czinano and Mackenzie Holmes will be a deciding factor as well.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Whoever between Holmes and Czinano can succeed in getting the other in foul trouble will give their team the edge in this matchup. Holmes is a much more skilled and disciplined defender than Czinano though so Indiana's gotta be feeling good about their chances. Czinano destroyed IU all three times last year, but Holmes wasn't 100% at the end of the season coming back from her knee injury.

Reaction Score
Whoever between Holmes and Czinano can succeed in getting the other in foul trouble will give their team the edge in this matchup. Holmes is a much more skilled and disciplined defender than Czinano though so Indiana's gotta be feeling good about their chances. Czinano destroyed IU all three times last year, but Holmes wasn't 100% at the end of the season coming back from her knee injury.
Holmes is a lot more agile than she gets credit for. That will be the challenge for Czinano in my opinion.

Reaction Score
It really is a great matchup. Czinano is just so strong, and great at getting deep position. Holmes is great but I just think Czinano wins the matchup.
I really like this Indiana team, they are a bit more dynamic offensively this year than in years past. But I think Iowa takes the matchup. This Iowa team has kinda been together for a minute, and they are playing really well as they are back to being healthy.

Reaction Score
It really is a great matchup. Czinano is just so strong, and great at getting deep position. Holmes is great but I just think Czinano wins the matchup.
I really like this Indiana team, they are a bit more dynamic offensively this year than in years past. But I think Iowa takes the matchup. This Iowa team has kinda been together for a minute, and they are playing really well as they are back to being healthy.
Think you're under estimating Holmes ability to bang inside. She's just as strong, even though her build may not seem like it. They're both crafty when inside the paint. It's going to be an interesting chess match.

Reaction Score
Think you're under estimating Holmes ability to bang inside. She's just as strong, even though her build may not seem like it. They're both crafty when inside the paint. It's going to be an interesting chess match.
Like Billy Martin in those old Miller Lite commercials, I agree with both of you! Different styles, but both Czinano and Holmes are really fun to watch, as if there's not plenty of other reasons to watch the game.

I hope neither gets in foul trouble so we can see them go at it for more of the contest.

Reaction Score
Maryland and Michigan getting separtion after big wins today. Huge loss by Nebraska. Probably knocks them out of the tournament.

Reaction Score
Iowa absolutely obliterated Rutgers today. Put up 60 at halftime, 97 thru 3 quarters. Called off the dogs in the 4th quarter and still ended up with 111. Yikes!
Just FYI, Iowa's bench scored 61 points. Clark played 21 minutes and took 7 shots. Rutgers only had 8 available players.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just FYI, Iowa's bench scored 61 points. Clark played 21 minutes and took 7 shots. Rutgers only had 8 available players.
Yes, I should've mentioned it wasn't a big scoring game for Clark, and everyone got in on the act.

Reaction Score
Yes, I should've mentioned it wasn't a big scoring game for Clark, and everyone got in on the act.
If there was any point of interest other that Rutgers was simply overmatched it was that Caitlin Clark had 10 assists in her 21 minutes of play to deadlock Nika Muhl for the national assist lead, spot on the same number of assists in the same number of games.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Indiana takes down Ohio State at Columbus, 83-59, led by McKenzie Holmes amazingly efficient 33 points (15-18 from the field). Sara Scalia adds 24 off the bench, hitting 6 of 8 from three and Grace Berger has a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds, also dishing out 5 assists. Had a 24-12 lead after first quarter and just kept the pedal to the metal.

Noticed Ohio State didn't have Rebeka Mikulasikova, which couild partially explain Holmes' big night. Also noticed that Jacy Sheldon didn't play? I thought she came back? Did she reinjure herself?

Reaction Score
Indiana takes down Ohio State at Columbus, 83-59, led by McKenzie Holmes amazingly efficient 33 points (15-18 from the field). Sara Scalia adds 24 off the bench, hitting 6 of 8 from three and Grace Berger has a double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds, also dishing out 5 assists. Had a 24-12 lead after first quarter and just kept the pedal to the metal.

Noticed Ohio State didn't have Rebeka Mikulasikova, which couild partially explain Holmes' big night. Also noticed that Jacy Sheldon didn't play? I thought she came back? Did she reinjure herself?
They talked about it during the game. Apparently she returned for the game versus Wisconsin, but has been out since. Sounds like she may have come back too soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom