Big Ten payout in '17/'18....$44.5M | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big Ten payout in '17/'18....$44.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree with you: championships bring me more happiness than revenue stories. But at some point we are going to have to step up and pay Kevin Ollie as the highest paid coach in college basketball and we can't do that making AAC peanuts.
I don't know if folks simply don't grasp the cause and effect of what it is going on. Thinking we are going to be able to pay top coaches, pay for facilities etc. Parades are nice for us fans, but ten years down the line, RU will be able to offer the likes of Ollie and Diaco, dollar amounts we just won't be able to match.

Reaction Score
This isn't just TV money - it's conference distributions, so that will include NCAA credits and Bowl/Playoff money.

What this doesn't include are the Tier 3 rights still owned by each school - there's still some TV inventory for non FB/BB game material (Coach shows, Olympic sports) that's not covered in BTN as well as radio, advertising, etc.

So what essentially this does comes down to is that the Big Ten is projecting ~$30-$35MM ish from the new TV deal once signed in a few years.

The B1G schools don't own any Tier 3 rights. They give them all to the B1G which is shown on the BTN

Reaction Score
The B1G schools don't own any Tier 3 rights. They give them all to the B1G which is shown on the BTN

Technically speaking, his point is correct in that they do retain rights to coaches' shows and other forms of media, which are still loosely considered tier-3 rights. But you're also correct that all live inventory by way of sporting events are retained by the network.

Reaction Score
Anyone disturbed by reality should just bail on this thread.

It's not for you.

Reality?

Here's reality, just yesterday Ryan Boatright announced he was coming back for his senior year which means we will have an outstanding men's basketball team next year defending its 4th title.

More Reality? The UCONN women will likely win another championship next year.

More Reality? We play BYU on national TV in 4 months and the Rent will be sold out and loud.

Some people just can't deal with success. Sports should be a feel good hobby not a feel bad hobby.

In reality Rutgers football will need luck to win 3 games next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The CR situation is too dynamic and I am too much of an optimist to think UConn will fade away due to their current situation. Just this Big Ten payoff could cause other conferences to make strategic moves, the p5 stipends could cause some schools to bail out, a P5 conference can find and justify the value (TV sets) in such a successful university as UConn.
Additionally, if SH and WM jump ship thats a huge indicator of this bleak outlook. However, we see the opposite. Yes, they are doing everything they can to put UConn into a position for success because they have sort of inherited this condition. But they are forging ahead, without a hint of waver. Why? They must believe it is more than possible and is likely probable.
No. Not for a second do I fall for this.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Lost in all of this conference realignment (I'm guilty of it too) is the fact that the state of Connecticut has really supported this university. I mean, REALLY supported it. Over the last 20 years, they have approved money on the order of billions to the university. Not millions. BILLIONS. Let's not forget that we seem to have a population that is relatively supportive of State U, and even though an extra 20 million per year would certainly help us nicely, we aren't going gently into that good night...

Reaction Score
Technically speaking, his point is correct in that they do retain rights to coaches' shows and other forms of media, which are still loosely considered tier-3 rights. But you're also correct that all live inventory by way of sporting events are retained by the network.

Not all live inventory either - a fair amount of Olympic event inventory are retained by the schools as well. Basically BTN gets first pick of of the live Tier 3 inventory and whatever that isn't picked up is retained by the schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn's cause is lost, unless we wait and do nothing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
When I have been wrong about realignment, it was because I was too optimistic about UConn's chances. I hope that is still not the case with my belief that UConn can still save itself if it does something creative.

One area I was wrong about is paying players. I thought schools like Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Duke and Stanford would want no part of that, yet so far there has not been a peep from any of them on the subject. Maybe there is a line they won't cross, but they are not near that line yet.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Based on that number if you want into the Big Ten you better be able to show two schools who can generate $200 million total in revenue annually for the conference because otherwise there is no incentive to add anyone.

Nebraska and Iowa aren't going to play Ohio State or Michigan less unless they are getting paid.

Reaction Score
Based on that number if you want into the Big Ten you better be able to show two schools who can generate $200 million total in revenue annually for the conference because otherwise there is no incentive to add anyone.

Nebraska and Iowa aren't going to play Ohio State or Michigan less unless they are getting paid.

There's a one-time exception, and that's with the new TV contract. Everyone will get paid more regardless at that point, but I do agree that if adding both a #15 and #16, at least one of those needs to be a football revenue generator at visiting stadiums.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There's a one-time exception, and that's with the new TV contract. Everyone will get paid more regardless at that point, but I do agree that if adding both a #15 and #16, at least one of those needs to be a football revenue generator at visiting stadiums.

If they were considering expansion they would know the marginal revenue generated. No one is leaving money on the table just because the number is higher than it was before.

Reaction Score

JMO but all future B1G Expansion will be eastward looking. It will continue to be driven by markets not brands. With this said I don't see a "football revenue generator" among the potential options in the east.

Delany's original vision was likely to try to shake UNC and UVA loose from the ACC by grabbing UMD. The ACC Lawsuit against UMD and subsequent GOR obviously complicated this plan.

IMO UNC is a lost cause, and is further South than The B1G should ever go. They favor The ACC first and The SEC second. It is a bad marriage. Their T-shirt fan base is too obsessed with the idea of Southern Identity, and would likely see a B1G Invite as some sort of capitulation to a yankee carpetbagger.

UVA is a completely different animal. They are Mid Atlantic as opposed to Southern Leaning. They are an exact match for every academic metric the conference covets. They sit in the shadow of an important and wealthy media market, that when combined with UMD and PSU is handed to Delany on a silver platter.

Delany knows that greater exposure and resources through B1G Membership can improve UVA's pedestrian AD. There is no excuse for why they have been so average for so long. They are blessed with tremendous homegrown talent and have quality athletic facilities.

UCONN and UVA should be the play. UCONN would jump right now, while UVA would take some convincing. The B1G would have the following markets under its control. Chicago, Indy, Milwaukee/Madison, Omaha/Lincoln, IC/Des Moines, Minny/St Paul, Detroit/AA, Cbus/Cincy/Cleveland, Pitt/Philly/SWB/ Hburg, Newark, Hartford, Baltimore, DC/Nova, and a reasonable percentage of NYC.

Reaction Score
The downside to the Big Ten projections is that they really, really have no need to expand further. They think they have $45M coming in just four years - at that rate, there is really no one they can add that will bring in an additional $45M just to keep pace. At that point, you've limited your expansion possibilities to the Chicago Bears.

The only Hail Mary is if Fox goes all in on the next contract and wants/needs more inventory than the Big Ten can provide. But even then, there's UConn and.....who?

The upside, if there is one, to the Big Ten projections, is that the ACC and Big 12 feel some kind of pressure based on the revenue gap they'll be facing with the Big Ten and SEC. At this rate, the Big Ten will almost be doubling up the ACC - they may feel they have to do something to change the game.

and ... what have we seen?

Every time the ACC opens the Expansion window, there is a concurrent opening of the "Change in Status" clause in their TV contract and they find a few more millions by adding another team or 2. I'd say ... that's an incentive. If the balls roll the right way. (or we are just SCREWED)

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
JMO but all future B1G Expansion will be eastward looking. It will continue to be driven by markets not brands. With this said I don't see a "football revenue generator" among the potential options in the east.

Delany's original vision was likely to try to shake UNC and UVA loose from the ACC by grabbing UMD. The ACC Lawsuit against UMD and subsequent GOR obviously complicated this plan.

IMO UNC is a lost cause, and is further South than The B1G should ever go. They favor The ACC first and The SEC second. It is a bad marriage. Their T-shirt fan base is too obsessed with the idea of Southern Identity, and would likely see a B1G Invite as some sort of capitulation to a yankee carpetbagger.

UVA is a completely different animal. They are Mid Atlantic as opposed to Southern Leaning. They are an exact match for every academic metric the conference covets. They sit in the shadow of an important and wealthy media market, that when combined with UMD and PSU is handed to Delany on a silver platter.

Delany knows that greater exposure and resources through B1G Membership can improve UVA's pedestrian AD. There is no excuse for why they have been so average for so long. They are blessed with tremendous homegrown talent and have quality athletic facilities.

UCONN and UVA should be the play. UCONN would jump right now, while UVA would take some convincing. The B1G would have the following markets under its control. Chicago, Indy, Milwaukee/Madison, Omaha/Lincoln, IC/Des Moines, Minny/St Paul, Detroit/AA, Cbus/Cincy/Cleveland, Pitt/Philly/SWB/ Hburg, Newark, Hartford, Baltimore, DC/Nova, and a reasonable percentage of NYC.

Not sure I agree with only Eastern leaning expansion. If they can get a block of southwestern schools (UT, OU, KU) they would take that in heartbeat. Right now, to get what they want (as much exposure as possible nationwide while still keeping schools somewhat contingent, Western expansion is still a possibility. I'm not convinced that UVA wants into the Big10. I'm not talking Stimpy type fans either, I'm talking higher up administration.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
and ... what have we seen?

Every time the ACC opens the Expansion window, there is a concurrent opening of the "Change in Status" clause in their TV contract and they find a few more millions by adding another team or 2. I'd say ... that's an incentive. If the balls roll the right way. (or we are just SCREWED)

The GoR closed that window, IMO.

Reaction Score
More and more articles on conference destruction, I mean, realignment are popping up as the media starts to understand what is going on. There is one in the Hartford paper and one in the Providence paper today. It will be interesting to see the reaction from politicians and media as this becomes more mainstream as folks begin to realize that schools like Uconn, with the most successful basketball programs in the country will be frozen out.

Reaction Score

This is a solid post.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with only Eastern leaning expansion. If they can get a block of southwestern schools (UT, OU, KU) they would take that in heartbeat. Right now, to get what they want (as much exposure as possible nationwide while still keeping schools somewhat contingent, Western expansion is still a possibility. I'm not convinced that UVA wants into the Big10. I'm not talking Stimpy type fans either, I'm talking higher up administration.

I certainly would not turn my nose up at the prospects of playing OU or UT, but I can't see any scenario where UT subjugates themselves to B1G Control. They literally run their own conference despite what is said publicly. Nothing happens without their explicit consent. Would they be willing to give that up? What about the LHN? KU. They certainly fit the profile, but The B1G could have had them multiple times in the past 2o years but have passed. Are they valuable enough now to offset the price of their membership? OU? Great athletic pedigree, average academics, small markets. Despite their historical standing, how much are they really worth to The B1G? Hard to say.

Reaction Score
More and more articles on conference destruction, I mean, realignment are popping up as the media starts to understand what is going on. There is one in the Hartford paper and one in the Providence paper today. It will be interesting to see the reaction from politicians and media as this becomes more mainstream as folks begin to realize that schools like Uconn, with the most successful basketball programs in the country will be frozen out.

UConn actually stands to gain from this idea of freezing out. A bigger worry should be that conferences like the AAC are brought into the fold and so no one sees the logic of adding UConn when UConn is already in.

A new subdivision will either aid UConn in being added to the P5 or it will kill UConn. The current scenario is just a slow death.

Reaction Score
The GoR closed that window, IMO.

Unless it includes UConn. The ESPN people still talk to the Conn. politicians, and though that has done absolutely nothing for UConn in he past, it may do something for them in the future.

Reaction Score
CBS version of the same article: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-projected-to-get-45-million-with-new-tv-deal

Of note:
"The Big Ten's bargaining position will be enhanced by the addition of a ninth conference game in 2016. That extra game means more inventory to sell to potential rightsholders as well as more content for that wildly successful Big Ten Network.

Commissioner Jim Delany began exploring the idea of a network about a decade ago when he perceived the conference being undervalued by ESPN."

So, adding more conference games enhances the network deal. That would clue me in on the B1G not being done expanding. Haaaaaave you met UCONN?

The last throw-away line could be of interest to ACC fans. ESPN is, more than likely, holding the ACC back too. If the ACC took a page out of Delany's playbook and decided to kick ESPN to the curb and add schools with significant presence in large markets (haaaaaave you met UCONN?), then they could generate more revenue too.

1st is anyone suspicious that the BUG seemingly doubled their payout overnight?

2nd how does adding a 9th conference game increase inventory? Are they going to 13 games per season or just cancelling a non-conference game?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) Don't be jealous of their payouts - we will be reading similar stories about the SEC in the coming years. There will be the have-alots, the haves and the have-nots.

2) More Big Ten games means more Big Ten games. Conference games are more appealing than cupcakey games.

Reaction Score
Lost in all of this conference realignment (I'm guilty of it too) is the fact that the state of Connecticut has really supported this university. I mean, REALLY supported it. Over the last 20 years, they have approved money on the order of billions to the university. Not millions. BILLIONS. Let's not forget that we seem to have a population that is relatively supportive of State U, and even though an extra 20 million per year would certainly help us nicely, we aren't going gently into that good night...

Yup, because the state of CT doesn't have any professional franchises the Huskies are our states athletic identity. Huge investments have been made and we are not even remotely close to any tipping point that would encourage the state to abandon their investment. Schools like Temple should be concerned, UCONN will always find a way to compete at the highest level.

With 3 national championships this year, PGDL out of the way and Hockey East about to get started these are clearly the best of times for the UCONN sports fan. The Boneyard bean counters can suck it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog