Big Ten, parents, players, revolt. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big Ten, parents, players, revolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This Yale created saliva test for Covid that the NBA is going to use could potentially be a game changer. The Big 10 may end up regretting not waiting a few more weeks to make their decision.

There will be a lot of second guessing if even the AAC successfully pulls off a season.

Has CT even cancelled their high school football season yet?

I think it is a game changer. Doubt it affects college football this fall. The test has to go into production. The nba gets first dibs. Next? I am imagining a host of other stakeholders.

The production capacity will be limited in the early days and after the nba, long list of essential services that would do well to have they test. We’ll see, but time to market at the volume they would need to give to college football doesn’t seem realistic.

If this test is excellent, world will go nuts if teachers and school systems don’t get this test before college football players. The competition for the test is not only other sport leagues, but also society as a whole.

Reaction Score
If you can make the same post in October you will have a point. In the meantime I'm old enough to remember when we had 1200+ people in hospitals statewide...old enough to remember when Greenwich and Stamford hospitals were at capacity and had to mobilize expanded facilities converting out patient centers to over flow facilities.
Yeah, and how many of those 1200+ were college students? Old people get sick and die, it's a fact of life. Cancer, heart issues, organ failure, Alzheimer's, the flu, strokes, pneumonia, and many other age contributing factors. Covid 19 is a garden party compared to what happened in 1918. I'd be interested in knowing how many of those 1200+ in Stamford and Greenwich Hospitals were smokers or former smokers.

Actor Corey Glover said it best in the film "Platoon".

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yeah, and how many of those 1200+ were college students? Old people get sick and die, it's a fact of life. Cancer, heart issues, organ failure, Alzheimer's, the flu, strokes, pneumonia, and many other age contributing factors. Covid 19 is a garden party compared to what happened in 1918. I'd be interested in knowing how many of those 1200+ in Stamford and Greenwich Hospitals were smokers or former smokers.

No one knows the long term impact on the recovered young people. Its rumored our boy Senecal exited UConn in part because of some strange side affects linked to COVid. Regardless, even if you cast those concerns aside, CT and many other schools have decided they aren't going to stick their neck out to play "liability ball." Check please.

Reaction Score
Faster results don’t change the outcome. The problem is in scheduling, rescheduling, the last second adjustments that accurate, fast testing doesn’t resolve. One way or another, the decision makers are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. In their shoes, I think they would be nuts to do anything but follow medical advice.
Acknowledging logistics management is important regardless of testing method, but faster results turnaround combined with validated 100% sensitivity, verified 100% specificity, and existing large production supply of such tests matters. Currently, it remains unclear the Yale DirectSaliva test enables the latter 3 attributes. You're correct, faster alone is not always better and some self-centered B1G helicopter parents may not care too much about science.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Acknowledging logistics management is important regardless of testing method, but faster results turnaround combined with validated 100% sensitivity, verified 100% specificity, and existing large production supply of such tests matters. Currently, it remains unclear the Yale DirectSaliva test enables the latter 3 attributes. You're correct, faster alone is not always better and some self-centered B1G helicopter parents may not care too much about science.
I don’t disagree on testing. We have been terrible. We also need leadership that follows science and not emotion. It needn’t be nearly so drastic, and our huge advances in science and medicine makes not following modern learning Inexplicable, but the 14th century Black Death totally changed European economics forever. Those people didn’t know what hit them, neither did doctors, and they still had the intuitive common sense to distance if they could. That these little contagious buggers change lives and economics is typical. Hopefully our economic dislocation will be relatively not so medieval earthshaking . In the meantime, living without football is not the end of most people’s world. We UConn fans have been living without football for almost a decade.

Reaction Score
The situation in CT is not the situation in Georgia, Florida or Texas. While many of the southern states now have improving numbers, we are still dealing with big numbers. CT could pull off college football. Georgia cannot. From there the domino effect takes over.

Reaction Score
Two weeks ago we had "athletes of the PAC-12" making demands and I wondered how many of them that represented. I'm wondering the same thing here. How many parents make up "Parents of Michigan Football?" I note that they acknowledged accommodating players opting out so its highly unlikely all of them want to play. Is it 20%, 50% or 80%? That makes a big difference.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Daughter's friend just went back to campus, attended one party and a few days later came down with COVID along with a big cluster from the party.

COVID + college kids + college campuses are like the virus's ideal environment.

(She was pretty sick for a couple of days but now is feeling better. Yeah she and the other kids all tested positive.)

Reaction Score
As we watch the progression of the virus, it seems painfully obvious there are no experts on Covid-19. There are people experienced with pandemics, there are people with degrees and titles but they are always getting things wrong. Guess that's why they call it a "novel coronavirus."
Oh just stop. We don’t know everything about this. It has been around for 6 months. But we know much more now than 5 months ago. And we do know that:
A. It is highly contagious.
B. It can have significant consequences and those consequences can be unpredictable.
C. Large groups in close proximity to each other can and do spread the disease.
D. It infects all age groups.
E. At this moment neither a cure nor a vaccine exist. There are some promising developments, but none currently available for widespread use.

So stop pretending that this is a total mystery. Every day that goes by leads to a better understanding, but it may take decades before it is completely understood. HIV has been around for what, 30 years, and there are still open questions about it. So for a virus known for less than a year, developing an understanding of its various features takes time.

Reaction Score
Daughter's friend just went back to campus, attended one party and a few days later came down with COVID along with a big cluster from the party.

(She was pretty sick for a couple of days but now is feeling better. Yeah she and the other kids all tested positive.)
Wondering how Boston is going to fare?

Reaction Score

This is the real point. Worrying about 100 prime conditioned athletes while thousands in the same age category can mingle to keep the College doors open is the pinnacle of irrationality.

Reaction Score
This is the real point. Worrying about 100 prime conditioned athletes while thousands in the same age category can mingle to keep the College doors open is the pinnacle of irrationality.

It’s not like the institutions won’t cancel or adjust in-person classes if they have to.

As much as saying so might be anathema as a fan and likely to get me told to bless my heart and that I’ll be prayed for in certain parts of this country...football is optional. Sports are optional. It’s extracurricular, it’s entertainment. Postponing or canceling should be a no brainer decision on that basis alone. Optional activity with low risk is still one with lower or no risk if it doesn’t happen.

Reaction Score
This is the group of parents most likely to file suit if one of their sons gets sick. Very considerate of them to put their names on a nice list.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Actor Corey Glover said it best in the film "Platoon".

sorry to go long here. And, Not picking on you Huskyrob here. But that view you have, and it is common, is the exact problem with the American response to this. It essentially is this: I am healthy so I shouldn’t have to change my ways or alter my life because my risk is low.

That is a very personal view of the current situation, but one that misses the big picture. Rationally, individually, your view may be right. But collectively, it is disastrous.

That thinking explained is pervasive among a lot of people too. Your chance of death is low, true, but your chance of infection is the issue we are trying to SLOW. Why? Because the math sucks when you start extrapolating out to large swaths of the population. A 1% death rate on a 100 million infections is disastrous. We have 160k on 5 million confirmed. Multiply that by 20.

the numbers, at scale, are unbearable. Your risk of dying is extremely low, but make no mistake, if 100 million infections happen we will see ~1 million deaths as a result.

Even drop death rate of entire population at to .5%. Apply that multiplier to any kind of volume and you get a big number.

Consider how quickly North Carolina Chapel Hill went from a handful of Covid cases to 13% positive test rate. If they stayed on campus without major mitigation, it would have tore through campus and infected, eventually, the entire region.

The virus is like whack a mole. One day, there are no infections. Great job. Then you go out and encounter someone outside your bubble. Eventually an infection happens. The test you took is now worthless because you intermingled.

The right path is to slow burn the infection and keep infection rates low and traceable to prevent clusters like what happened at unc.

We do this in parallell continue to develop therapy and test vaccines. We can’t do this forever, but you can’t rush the science.

Do we hide in our homes forever? No. But how about 4 more months until a vaccine hits the market? Or, is that too long and 1 million dead an acceptable cost to keep economy somewhat open?

that is the question we are facing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
sorry to go long here. And, Not picking on you Huskyrob here. But that view you have, and it is common, is the exact problem with the American response to this. It essentially is this: I am healthy so I shouldn’t have to change my ways or alter my life because my risk is low.

That is a very personal view of the current situation, but one that misses the big picture. Rationally, individually, your view may be right. But collectively, it is disastrous.

That thinking explained is pervasive among a lot of people too. Your chance of death is low, true, but your chance of infection is the issue we are trying to SLOW. Why? Because the math sucks when you start extrapolating out to large swaths of the population. A 1% death rate on a 100 million infections is disastrous. We have 160k on 5 million confirmed. Multiply that by 20.

the numbers, at scale, are unbearable. Your risk of dying is extremely low, but make no mistake, if 100 million infections happen we will see ~1 million deaths as a result.

Even drop death rate of entire population at to .5%. Apply that multiplier to any kind of volume and you get a big number.

Consider how quickly North Carolina Chapel Hill went from a handful of Covid cases to 13% positive test rate. If they stayed on campus without major mitigation, it would have tore through campus and infected, eventually, the entire region.

The virus is like whack a mole. One day, there are no infections. Great job. Then you go out and encounter someone outside your bubble. Eventually an infection happens. The test you took is now worthless because you intermingled.

The right path is to slow burn the infection and keep infection rates low and traceable to prevent clusters like what happened at unc.

We do this in parallell continue to develop therapy and test vaccines. We can’t do this forever, but you can’t rush the science.

Do we hide in our homes forever? No. But how about 4 more months until a vaccine hits the market? Or, is that too long and 1 million dead an acceptable cost to keep economy somewhat open?

that is the question we are facing.
I'm retired since last summer, however my expertise was in health care forensics, and I can tell you what is important and what is not. You make what happened at UNC sound like a disaster of huge proportions, this was not an F5 tornado, it was a flu bug going around. Some people got sick, most that came down with the flu at UNC had mild symptoms not unlike the common cold. My question to you is how many of these infected college kids at UNC, you seem to know about, actually died? One thing I know is Covid 19 is a garden party compared to the 1918 Spanish Flu which infected one third of the worlds population and killed upwards of 50 million to 75 million, and many, many, many of the deaths were young healthy individuals. Covid 19 is a much weaker virus that does have a propensity for the elderly and individuals who have a history of smoking or have pre-existing conditions like diabetes or hiv, or some other immune deficiency. I do however agree with you that a vaccine will save lives especially among those at risk of getting very sick, but I also will remind young people who are smokers to stop now and give your lungs a chance to heal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From another thread...

Safe to say that if the Big Ten parents feel this group(s) don't speak for everyone, then neither do they. If you are potential high draft pick i can see risking signing a waiver to play. If you're a 3rd string linebacker or OG, why? At the very least if these kids play there should be no waiver and any future medical costs associated with an infection should be covered for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom