Big Ten, parents, players, revolt. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big Ten, parents, players, revolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's gotta be driving the B1G nuts that the low budget AAC hasn't folded yet. Penn State fans are going to really enjoy watching Temple play this fall.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile UNC Chapel Hill is shutting down the classrooms because of outbreaks. The clock is ticking not just on sports but in person classes.

If the idea is to stop all infections because it’s imperative to protect lives, and you can’t put people together on a football field, then you can’t put 5,000 on campus. Even further, you don’t hold basketball practice with 10 on a court. It is wholly infuriating how “experts” and leaders largely make up their own rules and assessments. There is not a shred of evidence to suggest healthy 18-25 year olds are at heightened risk of anything serious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I'm retired since last summer, however my expertise was in health care forensics, and I can tell you what is important and what is not. You make what happened at UNC sound like a disaster of huge proportions, this was not an F5 tornado, it was a flu bug going around. Some people got sick, most that came down with the flu at UNC had mild symptoms not unlike the common cold. My question to you is how many of these infected college kids at UNC, you seem to know about, actually died? One thing I know is Covid 19 is a garden party compared to the 1918 Spanish Flu which infected one third of the worlds population and killed upwards of 50 million to 75 million, and many, many, many of the deaths were young healthy individuals. Covid 19 is a much weaker virus that does have a propensity for the elderly and individuals who have a history of smoking or have pre-existing conditions like diabetes or hiv, or some other immune deficiency. I do however agree with you that a vaccine will save lives especially among those at risk of getting very sick, but I also will remind young people who are smokers to stop now and give your lungs a chance to heal.
you lost me at flu

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The situation in CT is not the situation in Georgia, Florida or Texas. While many of the southern states now have improving numbers, we are still dealing with big numbers. CT could pull off college football. Georgia cannot. From there the domino effect takes over.
Who are we playing to pull this off?? Ourselves??? Our state has been great with our numbers but we still have to play teams from those regions that you mention. So we'd be risking those great numbers just to go play Liberty, FIU, or whoever. So no, we were right to shut it down because we couldn't make it work.

Reaction Score
The MVC cancelled cross country also - and my son is pissed off. He wants to run - and is willing to accept the risks - so why not? He isn't even on scholarship - he has been training non-stop since winter. And yet - he still has to go to school and do clinical hours - which basically means being a trainer at local HS in the area that DIDN'T cancel sports. How insane is that? HS sports aren't cancelled but college sports are?

Football given the size/scope/number of people/contact/etc - I understand to some extent. But I stand by my earlier statements - let the kids opt in or out with no harm to eligibility or scholarships - and then see if you have enough players to play - and then play. The farce that you are keeping them safe by letting them run around free in the world is just that - a farce.

I'm not someone that thinks COVID is BS. But lock everyone down, or allow people to have a choice. These half measures are just CYA nonsense that won't save anyone.

Reaction Score
Opening game of the HS season this Friday night. Stands will be full and the house will be rockin'. Gotta love Alabama.... I'll see the score on the school website Saturday morning. Y'all have fun....
I haven't heard anything about HS football in CT, anyone hear anything? Some football helmet manufacturers are selling helmets with built in masks. I wonder if the AAC has purchased some?

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
When McMurphy does comedy its always a surprise to me.

Reaction Score
Safe to say that if the Big Ten parents feel this group(s) don't speak for everyone ...
Wonder how many or the % of all B1G parents actually agree with their protesting parental colleagues?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Wonder how many or the % of all B1G parents actually agree with their protesting parental colleagues?
Like any protested matter, when you side with the protesters you think its a solid 80% and when you dont support the protest you think its something like to 2%. :p

Reaction Score
Safe to say that if the Big Ten parents feel this group(s) don't speak for everyone, then neither do they. If you are potential high draft pick i can see risking signing a waiver to play. If you're a 3rd string linebacker or OG, why? At the very least if these kids play there should be no waiver and any future medical costs associated with an infection should be covered for life.

Parents are banking on cash through their kids. They don’t care about their well being or the value of a college education. I’m holding back on my opinions, believe it or not. Sign a waiver if you feel that strongly about playing.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Safe to say that if the Big Ten parents feel this group(s) don't speak for everyone, then neither do they. If you are potential high draft pick i can see risking signing a waiver to play. If you're a 3rd string linebacker or OG, why? At the very least if these kids play there should be no waiver and any future medical costs associated with an infection should be covered for life.
A waiver would just cap/ prohibit wrongful death claims, negligence, emotion distress, and permanent disability claims, etc. The intent is not to deny regular healthcare for COVid treatment- that would of course continue to be covered. The purpose is to deny claims beyond regular medical care given it’s not practical for a school or anyone to be able to protect someone from a virus beyond ordinary and practical means. The waiver has the duel purpose of also serving as a blunt warning as well. As for long term medical care, I don’t know how schools are suppose to do that. Once a student is no longer a student their university health care ends. There is not enough money outside of the top 30 programs to provide long term health care to participants. Managing the claims would be impossible, and the long term liabilities easy to manage at first but over time crushing.

This is a volunteer activity. If the risk/reward no longer appeals it’s okay, the sport can shrink some it will still have plenty of players.

Reaction Score
The title of the thread mentions parents revolt. So where are they going to go with their revolt? Are they going to create a team and go play anyone who will schedule their kids? And sell tickets to fans to fill the stadium they pay to rent so their kids can play? Are they going to bring assault rifles to shoot the virus? With North Carolina going on-line only today as well as Notre Dame hitting a wall how does the ACC play football? Football is not a priority right now at the college level and it should not be.

Reaction Score
The situation in CT is not the situation in Georgia, Florida or Texas. While many of the southern states now have improving numbers, we are still dealing with big numbers. CT could pull off college football. Georgia cannot. From there the domino effect takes over.
Who are we playing to pull this off?? Ourselves??? Our state has been great with our numbers but we still have to play teams from those regions that you mention. So we'd be risking those great numbers just to go play Liberty, FIU, or whoever. So no, we were right to shut it down because we couldn't make it work.

I feel like I am having to do this a lot lately...You clearly didn’t comprehend my post. My point was that due to different circumstances in different locations, the virus will spread through football. So, UConn could safely play UMass for instance, but they couldn’t play a team from Georgia or Florida.

I am not advocating playing. At one point I was in favor of playing regional games. I reconsidered, in favor of preserving eligibility for our players.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I feel like I am having to do this a lot lately...You clearly didn’t comprehend my post. My point was that due to different circumstances in different locations, the virus will spread through football. So, UConn could safely play UMass for instance, but they couldn’t play a team from Georgia or Florida.

I am not advocating playing. At one point I was in favor of playing regional games. I reconsidered, in favor of preserving eligibility for our players.
You are right that your post did not come across that way at all.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
A reminder that the average age of death is 78.

What UConn did won't hurt them but the Big 10 and others it could.

Reaction Score
There should be no football until a vaccine. People just need to suck it up. If I'm a high draft pick, there's no way I'd risk it - see Eduardo Rodriquez as your first exhibit.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I'm retired since last summer, however my expertise was in health care forensics, and I can tell you what is important and what is not. You make what happened at UNC sound like a disaster of huge proportions, this was not an F5 tornado, it was a flu bug going around. Some people got sick, most that came down with the flu at UNC had mild symptoms not unlike the common cold. My question to you is how many of these infected college kids at UNC, you seem to know about, actually died? One thing I know is Covid 19 is a garden party compared to the 1918 Spanish Flu which infected one third of the worlds population and killed upwards of 50 million to 75 million, and many, many, many of the deaths were young healthy individuals. Covid 19 is a much weaker virus that does have a propensity for the elderly and individuals who have a history of smoking or have pre-existing conditions like diabetes or hiv, or some other immune deficiency. I do however agree with you that a vaccine will save lives especially among those at risk of getting very sick, but I also will remind young people who are smokers to stop now and give your lungs a chance to heal.
Glad you retired

Reaction Score
Michigan State going to remote learning for fall asking students to stay home.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Big Ten parents are revolting....

1597858699038.png

"Yeah they are! (I always wanted to say that.)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads