Big Ten is overrated | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big Ten is overrated

Reaction Score
Who said you aren't entitled to your opinion? Please, opine away.

But it's also my opinion that the B1G taking Pitt—which overlaps with Penn State—is a laughable idea. They add nothing but being AAU, and the B1G has been one of the two conferences who haven't short sighted or merely been reactionary.
It’s fine not to agree but when I do so, I try to be somewhat respectful. Moving on.

I don’t believe that Penn State would object to Pitt being admitted into the conference. They used to play each other every year until like 2000.

I am not saying the B10 would want any of Kansas, Iowa
State or Pitt. Just that I think that each of them would be invited to the B10 ahead of us.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe that Penn State would object to Pitt being admitted into the conference. They used to play each other every year until like 2000.
UConn used to play UMass every year, and other than a few crackpots on this board, no one has them on their list of expansion targets.

Similarly, BC used to play UConn, and they're the school that tanked us.

Regardless, if the B1G expands we're not high on their list, I'd guess. They'd be smart to think a lot bolder, and especially bolder than picking a school like Pittsburgh which exists in a state where the clear #1 team is already in the conference (PSU) and which is right near the border of Ohio (i.e. Ohio State).

Reaction Score
If UConn faces MSU in the Bahamas and beats them then lets start bad mouthing Butler
I watched the game and I don’t see how they aren’t a bottom 2 team in the Big East that’s all

Reaction Score
Purdue does not have a single transfer player.
All developed inside the program. Looking forward to seeing them today matchup against 'Nova. Should be a good game

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kansas, Iowa State and Pitt all in AAU and I would think ahead of UConn in any possible B10 expansion.
Maybe Kansas but the big never seem to have much interest in them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s fine not to agree but when I do so, I try to be somewhat respectful. Moving on.

I am not saying the B10 would want any of Kansas, Iowa
State or Pitt. Just that I think that each of them would be invited to the B10 ahead of us.
Us?

MJ1

Reaction Score
More Big East vs B10 matchups tonight. Ohio State Vs Seton Hall 6:00pm neutral site and Providence vs Northwestern neutral site 9:30pm. Both should be good games.

Reaction Score
If we left the BE after a season or two we could never say another desperraging word against anyone again. Not Mark Emmert. Not the NCAA. Not UNC, Miami, BC or the BCS. No one. We would be hypocritical mercenaries out for a quick buck. Never to be trusted or taken seriously again.
And they would do it in a heartbeat as they should and should be immediately fired for gross negligence if they didn’t….. And the extra 50 million or so a year would come in handy right about now with the financial state of the athletic department… 50million a year = 1billion over 20 years. With that kind of money at stake your concerns seem a bit silly.

Reaction Score
And they would do it in a heartbeat as they should and should be immediately fired for gross negligence if they didn’t….. And the extra 50 million or so a year would come in handy right about now with the financial state of the athletic department… 50million a year = 1billion over 20 years. With that kind of money at stake your concerns seem a bit silly.
Part of me wants to argue, when is enough $$ enough, but I won't. You are undoubtedly correct. No one would reject all that $$.

My initial comment wasn't a concern. It was a statement of reality. If UCONN took the $$ and joined the B10, we (the UCONN fanbase) would be hyprocrits to continue to criticize things like Mark Emmert, the NCAA and most of the things we've criticized for the past decade. We would be aligned with all those things we once hated. My comment are your statements about $$ are somewhat independent.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Part of me wants to argue, when is enough $$ enough, but I won't. You are undoubtedly correct. No one would reject all that $$.

My initial comment wasn't a concern. It was a statement of reality. If UCONN took the $$ and joined the B10, we (the UCONN fanbase) would be hyprocrits to continue to criticize things like Mark Emmert, the NCAA and most of the things we've criticized for the past decade. We would be aligned with all those things we once hated. My comment are your statements about $$ are somewhat independent.
I don’t understand why the fan base would be hypocrites? I don’t think any fan on here is advocating for special treatment from the NCAA like what is granted to Duke, Kansas or UNC. All we have asked is for each program to be treated the same. Something we were never even afforded as an old Big East member, and something that being a BIG member wouldn’t change.

And to answer your ever question, there is never a thing as “enough” money when competing to build a brand, which is what college athletics has become. Money doesn’t guarantee success, but it sure does help.

Reaction Score

Have we criticized schools for switching conferences for bigger paydays? We've definitely laughed at teams that did so and are now irrelevant (BCU for example), but I don't know if we've condemned them for doing it in the first place.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Have we criticized schools for switching conferences for bigger paydays? We've definitely laughed at teams that did so and are now irrelevant (BCU for example), but I don't know if we've condemned them for doing it in the first place.
Not condemned but it’s more like an angst feeling.

I will always laugh at Rutgers tho, they haven’t had an offense in like 25 years.

Reaction Score

I'll admit 100% I thought it was lousy of our Big East mates to abandon the Big East for the ACC and I sure as heck condemned them. BCU, Syracuse, Pitt. At the time we had the better basketball conference (and yet we ultimately landed in a superior basketball conference) and the football conference was a solid group of eastern programs. We can condemn what the system has become all we want because that system blew up the Big East. Any program playing at the FBS level is part of that system and contributing/enabling.

Reaction Score
Yes, we most definitely have. Your example is the best example. At one point our head coach even vowed to never play Boston College again. I don't think he did so because he thought their eventual irrelevance would be amusing.

Reaction Score
From Jeff Eisenberg of Yahoo! Sports:
"Boston College departing the Big East in favor of the ACC marked the death of the rivalry between New England's two most prominent schools. Angered that the Eagles weren't upfront about their intentions to leave the conference, UConn coach Jim Calhoun told the Hartford Courant in 2003 that he would not renew the rivalry, a vow he has upheld since the two schools played their last Big East game two years later. "We won't play BC after they leave here," Calhoun said at the time. "I have no desire to play Boston College. Not for the fact that they are leaving but how they did it. I will not play Boston College as long as I'm here."
Calhoun specifically says he does not begrudge them leaving per se. In other words, he did not criticize them for switching conferences for a bigger payday.

Reaction Score
From Jeff Eisenberg of Yahoo! Sports:

Calhoun specifically says he does not begrudge them leaving per se. In other words, he did not criticize them for switching conferences for a bigger payday.
Part of this discussion is about how soon we would be theoretically leaving the BE. Do you think joining the BE in 2020 then theoretically leaving within 2 years is appropriate?

What do you think the remaining BE coaches, ADs and fans will say. We were dying. We reached out to them and they extended a hand. Then split as soon as a better opportunity presents itself? Do you think any of them will disapprove of 'how they did it"?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom