Big Games: Week 5 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Big Games: Week 5

Reaction Score
Oregon going 1-1 in this tourney was my prediction so no surprise there. Paopao committing 8 TO‘s after having only 9 in 11 games (3rd in D-1) certainly was.
Below average 3 point shooting is the story though. Hit their average 40% and that adds 15 points and makes it a game.

Reaction Score
True, but they can't afford to allow teams to get back into games like this. This is how they lost to Toledo when they shouldn't have. It could end up hurting them during Big 10 conference play.
Great point. Hopefully Michigan figures that stuff out as the season moves forward.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Question as I didn't subscribe to FloHoops to watch. What happened with Kyei? Seeing that she had 1 shot attempt and no free throws in 23 minutes quite shocking. Was it how OSU defended her?

I find it surprising she didn't have more opportunities around the basket. I would have thought they would have tried to go at Mikulasikova and get her into foul trouble if she was defending Kyei.
I did watch, but haven't looked for a replay (and don't want to) so my memory is kind of hazy on this.

To start, Philly generally takes only 6 or so shots/game and some of those come from offensive rebounds. Against OSU her reactions seemed slow, and she also seemed tired, especially in the first half (as was the case with all of her teammates except VanSlooten). She's been much better in the second half of games than the first, almost as if she has to take time to figure things out, and although her rebound numbers were ok, they were low by her recent standards. I remember her fumbling some passes, others were high, and Paopao had an absolutely horrendous game turnover-wise.

Finally, VanSlooten probably does as good a job as anyone on the team feeding Philly, but against OSU she was unstoppable offensively and probably didn't look to pass as often as she has in previous games; indeed, about the only thing the team did well Wednesday was to direct most of the entry passes her way.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Oregon just seemed outmatch most of the game. They pulled within 7 on a Rogers 3 at 59-52, and then she had a clean look at another one that would've cut it to 4 but she missed, OSU runs back down and nails a 3 and that was pretty much how the night went for Oregon. Not the best showing for Pao Pao in front of some home fans. She scored well but had a ton of turnovers and struggled finding a rhythm. The other Oregon guards struggled too. VanSlooten was brilliant. Just an absolute workhorse and great skills at 6-3. I've been trying to think of a good comparison...this isn't the best, but maybe like a part Taylor Jones in her ability to just have a knack for knowing where the basket it and being able to score, and also a bit of Nina Davis from Baylor several years back with her workhorse attitude and ability to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. At any rate, really good player and the best freshman I've seen this season. Also found out she/McMahon/Gray are from the same area and played AAU together. Also, Chance Gray's older sister is Amber Gray who used to play for Tennessee during the Pat Summitt era (former top 5 recruit) but had severe health issues. Good family genes there.

Ohio State's stars came to play today after no-showing yesterday. Mikesell shot extremely well against her old team, Mikulasikova was a bit up and down but hit a barrage of shots in the 4th and finished with 20+. The form doesn't look textbook but it suits her pretty well and she can hit a lot of shots. Definitely a non-traditional post player but her styles fits Ohio State perfectly. Greene wasn't in the arena, Sheldon was still on crutches/boot.

First game was more entertaining down the stretch. The game was a toss up but USF came out with the W. DFM vs. Barnum was a fun matchup. DFM picked up fouls but finished the game strong. Barnum was quite good and took it at DFM a few times when she had 4 fouls. Tsineke was quite good today, played much better than yesterday's game for USF. It was pretty much a 2 woman show for USF but they got the job done. For Arkansas it just wasn't a very pretty game for them. Spencer didn't play well today and got injured, I'm not sure if she returned or not. Poffenbarger looked about the same as yesterday, a lot of hustle but not a great looking shot, Daniels scored 20 but missed a lot of shots. Langerman is a hard worker but made a couple of bonehead plays today and yesterday. Today she fouled a shooter on a 3pt shot when they were up 3 at the end of regulation, and yesterday she passed the ball to her coach relatively late in the game. I was happy to see USF pull out the win, their coach was much more composed on the sideline and actively coaching players all game. Neighbors was irate at the refs seemingly all night and borderline obnoxious with how demonstrative he is. Same with McGuff in the second game, and he picked up a T but I think it was rescinded. Good couple of days of basketball in San Diego.
I was really hoping UConn would get VanSlooten. She looked really good in her mix tapes.

Reaction Score
Hoosiers playing against MSU right now and in some trouble. Grace Berger continues to be hugely missed for this team.

Reaction Score
Hoosiers playing against MSU right now and in some trouble. Grace Berger continues to be hugely missed for this team.
Looks like being home has worked wonders for Michigan St player Kamaria Daniels. I know she was injured previously at Baylor but its been going great for her this year, averaging over 14 points per game and is leading MSU with 17 points against Indiana

Reaction Score
MSU upsets #4 Indiana 83 - 78.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
MSU upsets #4 Indiana 83 - 78.
Neither team defended very well. Indiana shot 58% FG (31/53): 68% 2pt (28/41) and 25% 3pt (3/12);
while MSU shot 56% FG (30/54): 58% 2pt (26/45) and 44% 3pt (4/9).

Indiana made 8 of its last 10 FG attempts while MSU made 5 of its last 6 FG attempts.

Indiana (12-1) suffered its first loss this season at MSU (9-5). Road games make for challenges.

Reaction Score
Neither team defended very well. Indiana shot 58% FG (31/53): 68% 2pt (28/41) and 25% 3pt (3/12);
while MSU shot 56% FG (30/54): 58% 2pt (26/45) and 44% 3pt (4/9).

Indiana made 8 of its last 10 FG attempts while MSU made 5 of its last 6 FG attempts.

Indiana (12-1) suffered its first loss this season at MSU (9-5). Road games make for challenges.

Further proof why this conference has my attention more than others this season. Michigan State may not be in the top tier of the conference, but they've faced four Top 25 teams so far. Got hammered by Iowa State and Lost a close one to Oregon in November. Held Ohio State to their lowest point total so far this season if memory serves correct.

Now they have a win against a top 10 team and it's a conference opponent. They could be in the same category as Purdue and Illinois in my opinion where they could mess things up for other teams.

Reaction Score
Duke about to put up the W. Up 70-58 with 47 seconds left in game.

Reaction Score
Dang a lot of upsets today, North Carolina on the ropes against Florida State. Indiana, N.C. State, Virginia Tech all go down. Notre Dame barely escapes Miami. Looks like Uconn might jump up a few spots after this week assuming they take care of business against Marquette.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I said 3 weeks ago

I want State to be at full strength on the 29th when Duke comes to town to bust that arse.

They were missing their PG, but

giphy.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom