Big Games: Week 5 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big Games: Week 5

Reaction Score
Looking at the box score and the play by play, why did USF not wait for the last shot in OT with the game tied? Mikesell tied it with a 3 with 15 seconds left then they proceed to take a shot that early? OSU then took a blocked shot and ran it up the court for a layup.

Reaction Score
No commentary on Stanford vs. Creighton?
Admittedly as an east coaster, I fell asleep while watching between somewhere in the 3rd I think. Lol. I was impressed with Stanford though. Lepolo is one of my favorite players to watch and she was letting it fly which was great because the defense was playing so far off her. I thought Brink, Kiki, and Jones all played well, which I expected against a somewhat small Creighton team.

I disagree with the tweet above. Not that it was a terrible performance by Creighton. But Tennessee just went up there and kept it super close. Admittedly I missed their best quarter but it never felt like they had a shot at winning. I feel Creighton after making the elite 8 is a bit past not losing by 25 as a moral victory. But maybe that's a bit harsh.I thought Jensen and Ronsiek played ok. I like Malys game a lot, she seemed to be a bit unlucky with her shot tonight.

Reaction Score
I’m one of about 100 people at the USF/Ohio State game. Ohio State really missing Shelden. Amazed the score is relatively close considering 0 points so far from Mikesell/Mikulasikova.
That's really the attendance or are you kidding? That's really disappointing if true as that game sounds like it was a barn burner.

Reaction Score
Just as an FYI, the Oregon players had to deal with a real shocker prior to today's game, when, sometime between the team dinner Monday night and the game today (or maybe at the dinner), one of the freshmen, Jenna Isai, suddenly announced she was leaving the team. Apparently, even her 3 roommates (also freshmen) had no idea this was coming. And, so far, there has been no explanation as to why she chose to do so, and I suspect it's not basketball related. In any case, I hope she finds whatever she needs/is looking for.
“Jennah Isai has left the program for personal reasons,” Graves said during a pregame radio interview. “I don’t feel like I need to get into those now but her choice, we wish her the best, but she will no longer be part of our program.”
Strange one. She was with the team in San Diego Monday evening.
We may never get the reasons for such a shocking, unexpected decision. Hope she (and her family) will be able to deal with whatever this is successfully. Oregon down to 8 healthy players. Ouch.

Reaction Score
I was glad that Michigan played well against UNC. Michigan had a nice lead and let UNC get close, but a win is a win.
True, but they can't afford to allow teams to get back into games like this. This is how they lost to Toledo when they shouldn't have. It could end up hurting them during Big 10 conference play.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
That's really the attendance or are you kidding? That's really disappointing if true as that game sounds like it was a barn burner.
The listed attendance was 318. It is in a general use arena in San Diego. Not a hotbed for WBB, when Arizona played in the in-season tourney at San Diego (the University, in their arena) attendance was no better.

Interestingly, my computer reminds me that we were there 8 years ago or so. Yes, we were, to see Neil Diamond, I think the tour before his final one (we saw a show every tour for 30 years).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Genuine—it was empty, especially for the second game. Weekday sporting events at 1pm/3pm in San Diego are not a recipe for big attendance. There was a nice contingent of Oregon fans for the first game (homecoming game for Pao Pao) but the second game had maybe 100 fans there. It was actually pretty unique to hear everything going on the court though and to hear some of the coaching huddles.

Reaction Score
Genuine—it was empty, especially for the second game. Weekday sporting events at 1pm/3pm in San Diego are not a recipe for big attendance. There was a nice contingent of Oregon fans for the first game (homecoming game for Pao Pao) but the second game had maybe 100 fans there. It was actually pretty unique to hear everything going on the court though and to hear some of the coaching huddles.
Cripes. I forgot to factor the time difference into this. That's tough to manage.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Ohio State over Oregon by 17. Clearly the better team, at this point, won, but I also think 3 games in 4 days is asking too much of a roster of 9, then 8, that starts 2 freshmen and an inexperienced sophomore. Thus, I think, the Ducks shot about 21% from 3 (well below their season average of around 40%) vs. OSU at 54%. I'd love to see how a rested Oregon team might have done. I'm concerned that the same thing may also happen in the Pac12 Tournament.

On the plus side VanSlooten had another terrific game against a quality opponent: 29 points (11-16), 9 rebounds, 3 blocks. Even better than yesterday. She's a keeper.

And not much of a greeting between Mikesell and Graves after the game. No surprise there.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Pretty darn impressed with South Florida. They've been giving all kinds of trouble to the teams from the Poser 5.

Had a huge lead over #3 Ohio State before losing in overtime. Today they take out #17 Arkansas in overtime.

Previously this season, the Bulls destroyed Alabama, Texas and Georgia Tech and dropped narrow contests to Michigan and NC State.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
USF defeated Arkansas in OT, 66-65. 2 losses in a row for Arkansas. Nice win for South Florida.

TCU rolled by Nicholls, 75-32.

Reaction Score
Saw Arkansas fell to USF earlier. Sorta choked it away fouling USF on a three point shot when they were down 3 at the end of the 4th with 15 seconds left. USF proceed to hit 3 free throws to tie it and go to OT.

USF is a good team though. Gave Ohio St all they could handle and more

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
USF is a good team though. Gave Ohio St all they could handle and more
Yes...it makes NC State's win over them look better. USF should win its conference.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Ohio State over Oregon by 17. Clearly the better team, at this point, won, but I also think 3 games in 4 days is asking too much of a roster of 9, then 8, that starts 2 freshmen and an inexperienced sophomore. Thus, I think, the Ducks shot about 21% from 3 (well below their season average of around 40%) vs. OSU at 54%. I'd love to see how a rested Oregon team might have done. I'm concerned that the same thing may also happen in the Pac12 Tournament.

On the plus side VanSlooten had another terrific game against a quality opponent: 29 points (11-16), 9 rebounds, 3 blocks. Even better than yesterday. She's a keeper.

And not much of a greeting between Mikesell and Graves after the game. No surprise there.

Oregon just seemed outmatch most of the game. They pulled within 7 on a Rogers 3 at 59-52, and then she had a clean look at another one that would've cut it to 4 but she missed, OSU runs back down and nails a 3 and that was pretty much how the night went for Oregon. Not the best showing for Pao Pao in front of some home fans. She scored well but had a ton of turnovers and struggled finding a rhythm. The other Oregon guards struggled too. VanSlooten was brilliant. Just an absolute workhorse and great skills at 6-3. I've been trying to think of a good comparison...this isn't the best, but maybe like a part Taylor Jones in her ability to just have a knack for knowing where the basket it and being able to score, and also a bit of Nina Davis from Baylor several years back with her workhorse attitude and ability to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. At any rate, really good player and the best freshman I've seen this season. Also found out she/McMahon/Gray are from the same area and played AAU together. Also, Chance Gray's older sister is Amber Gray who used to play for Tennessee during the Pat Summitt era (former top 5 recruit) but had severe health issues. Good family genes there.

Ohio State's stars came to play today after no-showing yesterday. Mikesell shot extremely well against her old team, Mikulasikova was a bit up and down but hit a barrage of shots in the 4th and finished with 20+. The form doesn't look textbook but it suits her pretty well and she can hit a lot of shots. Definitely a non-traditional post player but her styles fits Ohio State perfectly. Greene wasn't in the arena, Sheldon was still on crutches/boot.

First game was more entertaining down the stretch. The game was a toss up but USF came out with the W. DFM vs. Barnum was a fun matchup. DFM picked up fouls but finished the game strong. Barnum was quite good and took it at DFM a few times when she had 4 fouls. Tsineke was quite good today, played much better than yesterday's game for USF. It was pretty much a 2 woman show for USF but they got the job done. For Arkansas it just wasn't a very pretty game for them. Spencer didn't play well today and got injured, I'm not sure if she returned or not. Poffenbarger looked about the same as yesterday, a lot of hustle but not a great looking shot, Daniels scored 20 but missed a lot of shots. Langerman is a hard worker but made a couple of bonehead plays today and yesterday. Today she fouled a shooter on a 3pt shot when they were up 3 at the end of regulation, and yesterday she passed the ball to her coach relatively late in the game. I was happy to see USF pull out the win, their coach was much more composed on the sideline and actively coaching players all game. Neighbors was irate at the refs seemingly all night and borderline obnoxious with how demonstrative he is. Same with McGuff in the second game, and he picked up a T but I think it was rescinded. Good couple of days of basketball in San Diego.

Reaction Score

Not surprised by the loss. The team is young and is still short about another two or so high profile recruits to compete with the higher echelon teams at this point.

I think Graves went from a roster that was too large too a roster that is too lean. I think 11 or 12 players would be about the right size.

Reaction Score
Oregon just seemed outmatch most of the game. They pulled within 7 on a Rogers 3 at 59-52, and then she had a clean look at another one that would've cut it to 4 but she missed, OSU runs back down and nails a 3 and that was pretty much how the night went for Oregon. Not the best showing for Pao Pao in front of some home fans. She scored well but had a ton of turnovers and struggled finding a rhythm. The other Oregon guards struggled too. VanSlooten was brilliant. Just an absolute workhorse and great skills at 6-3. I've been trying to think of a good comparison...this isn't the best, but maybe like a part Taylor Jones in her ability to just have a knack for knowing where the basket it and being able to score, and also a bit of Nina Davis from Baylor several years back with her workhorse attitude and ability to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. At any rate, really good player and the best freshman I've seen this season. Also found out she/McMahon/Gray are from the same area and played AAU together. Also, Chance Gray's older sister is Amber Gray who used to play for Tennessee during the Pat Summitt era (former top 5 recruit) but had severe health issues. Good family genes there.

Ohio State's stars came to play today after no-showing yesterday. Mikesell shot extremely well against her old team, Mikulasikova was a bit up and down but hit a barrage of shots in the 4th and finished with 20+. The form doesn't look textbook but it suits her pretty well and she can hit a lot of shots. Definitely a non-traditional post player but her styles fits Ohio State perfectly. Greene wasn't in the arena, Sheldon was still on crutches/boot.

First game was more entertaining down the stretch. The game was a toss up but USF came out with the W. DFM vs. Barnum was a fun matchup. DFM picked up fouls but finished the game strong. Barnum was quite good and took it at DFM a few times when she had 4 fouls. Tsineke was quite good today, played much better than yesterday's game for USF. It was pretty much a 2 woman show for USF but they got the job done. For Arkansas it just wasn't a very pretty game for them. Spencer didn't play well today and got injured, I'm not sure if she returned or not. Poffenbarger looked about the same as yesterday, a lot of hustle but not a great looking shot, Daniels scored 20 but missed a lot of shots. Langerman is a hard worker but made a couple of bonehead plays today and yesterday. Today she fouled a shooter on a 3pt shot when they were up 3 at the end of regulation, and yesterday she passed the ball to her coach relatively late in the game. I was happy to see USF pull out the win, their coach was much more composed on the sideline and actively coaching players all game. Neighbors was irate at the refs seemingly all night and borderline obnoxious with how demonstrative he is. Same with McGuff in the second game, and he picked up a T but I think it was rescinded. Good couple of days of basketball in San Diego.
PaoPao is not the best player or second best player on the Oregon team and won't be any better at the end of the season. She has reached her ceiling as a junior I'm afraid Another one of those Graves over hyped on paper products (Prince was another one). One of the bad habits Graves has is over hyping someone and not letting the court work do the talking. I am not saying PaoPao is bad at all but she is just too inconsistent and what you saw today is more common than not. Oregon has had many good point guards over the years and Paopao is not a special standout from some of the better ones Oregon has had.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Despite a valiant effort from my Panthers of High Point... #8 VPI escapes their first ever trip to HPU with a 86-66 victory. I usually don't blame officials... but its hard to play 5 on 8. It was a homecoming game for Kitley and King as they are from neighboring Summerfield. I didn't get to make it to the game, but looked like a good crowd to watch the game.

I do believe this was the first ranked team to ever play a game at HPU. Hopefully other P5 schools will put on their big girl bloomers and schedule a home and home. Looking at you State, South Carolina, Michigan State, Texas Tech among others.

Reaction Score
Sooners up 20 at the half against Florida, Robertson moved to #2 all time for 3 point makes during the first half as well. I know their defense has been sketch in the past but has been doing well tonight. Pretty fun team to watch on the offensive end too.

I think OK made a smart decision with hiring Baranczyk. Not only was her first season a successful surprise, but they did a half-time interview with her and she's very likable and her players seem to love playing for her.

Reaction Score
Not totally shocked by this score. Florida has a major turnover problem and things are very bumpy for them when Dean and Leilani Correa aren't clicking. And speaking of I don't see Correa playing... guessing injury?

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Not surprised by the loss. The team is young and is still short about another two or so high profile recruits to compete with the higher echelon teams at this point.

I think Graves went from a roster that was too large too a roster that is too lean. I think 11 or 12 players would be about the right size.
I agree, and prefer 12; but once upon a time there were in fact 11: One down before the season started (Prince), one lost for at least half the season in the first game (Basham), and 1 puzzling exit Tuesday night (Isai). That's not what the doctor ordered.

Reaction Score
I agree, and prefer 12; but once upon a time there were in fact 11: One down before the season started (Prince), one lost for at least half the season in the first game (Basham), and 1 puzzling exit Tuesday night (Isai). That's not what the doctor ordered.
Sammie Wagner will be a much needed practice player

Reaction Score
Despite a valiant effort from my Panthers of High Point... #8 VPI escapes their first ever trip to HPU with a 86-66 victory. I usually don't blame officials... but its hard to play 5 on 8. It was a homecoming game for Kitley and King as they are from neighboring Summerfield. I didn't get to make it to the game, but looked like a good crowd to watch the game.

I do believe this was the first ranked team to ever play a game at HPU. Hopefully other P5 schools will put on their big girl bloomers and schedule a home and home. Looking at you State, South Carolina, Michigan State, Texas Tech among others.
What was the attendance?

Reaction Score

Question as I didn't subscribe to FloHoops to watch. What happened with Kyei? Seeing that she had 1 shot attempt and no free throws in 23 minutes quite shocking. Was it how OSU defended her?

I find it surprising she didn't have more opportunities around the basket. I would have thought they would have tried to go at Mikulasikova and get her into foul trouble if she was defending Kyei.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom