Big Games: Week 5 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big Games: Week 5

Reaction Score
Looks like the buttwhooping Arizona got by Kansas was very good for them. Looked much more energized and much different all around today.

Baylor couldn't seem to find a flow, the 19 turnovers were too many. Hope Blackwell can heal up.
Baylor desperately needs both Blackwell and Edwards to be on the court. It is going to be difficult against elite teams without these 2 starters….

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You have to wonder how Arizona could lose at home to Kansas by 27. Barnes seems to have gotten their attention.
This is what happens when you play a cupcake diet. Your shortcomings are not exposed. And Adia had made it very plain in comments in the local paper that there were definitely shortcomings that she was not successful at addressing in practice.

I'm not saying that "all is well" but yes, she got their attention. The issues (primarily) can be summed up as not communicating on defense and trying to do too much individually on offense. Much impressed by today.

Reaction Score
LSU leads Oregon St 47-21 at the half, but I'm convinced they will choke this away somehow.

Reaction Score
LSU leads Oregon St 47-21 at the half, but I'm convinced they will choke this away somehow.
I'm watching it on live stream. Quite impressive I must say. Sure beats what I saw out of Baylor tonight against Arizona. It's already getting tough to be a Baylor WBB fan. Lord God Almighty , coaching sure makes a difference.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The Lady Vols played a solid 30 minutes of ball, unfortunately Brink, Jones, and Jump turned it up in Q4. Can someone just enlighten me as to how those clip- on long lashes do not affect the field of vision? This is a legitimate question and not a knock on appearance or style.

In regards to Tennessee, I thought this was by far their best showing in a big game. Through 3 quarters they had solid execution and ball movement. I thought they did a great job of feeding Jackson in the 3rd to take it right at Brink on multiple possessions. Stanford just turned on the jets in the 4th. Brink is an absolute beast--if she could avoid dumb fouls I think she'd be a top 3-4 POY candidate this year. She does so much well and has had monster games vs. their three strongest opponents (Tennessee, Gonzaga, and South Carolina).

I thought Rickea Jackson looked really good in stretches. Loved Suarez today and Puckett shot the ball quite well. I think Tennessee will be fine in conference play. SEC is not good this year and it appears UT's losses aren't nearly as bad as they appeared to be early on. 4 are to teams currently in the top 6, another is to #10 UCLA, and the last is to #23 Gonzaga. Gonzaga, Virginia Tech and Stanford were all quite competitive games, too.

Reaction Score
I'm watching it on live stream. Quite impressive I must say. Sure beats what I saw out of Baylor tonight against Arizona. It's already getting tough to be a Baylor WBB fan. Lord God Almighty , coaching sure makes a difference.
Baylor is replacing two first round WNBA picks and not having Blackwell and Edwards right now is a big blow considering they were counted on to be the big hitters this year.

I know if LSU lost Reese we would be in major trouble.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ugh. Rueck has done great things at OSU in the past, but they have been down trending for 3 years or so. Has the game passed him by? Can he ever get them back on track again? Doesn't look like it's going to be this year.

Reaction Score
Ugh. Rueck has done great things at OSU in the past, but they have been down trending for 3 years or so. Has the game passed him by? Can he ever get them back on track again? Doesn't look like it's going to be this year.
Oregon St has some solid pieces but I think losing all those transfers really took a lot out of them. If they keep those players and build onto it, then you're probably looking at a significantly different team. Its just tough to replace all that unless you make up for it in the portal for what you're bringing in.

Reaction Score
Oregon St has some solid pieces but I think losing all those transfers really took a lot out of them. If they keep those players and build onto it, then you're probably looking at a significantly different team. Its just tough to replace all that unless you make up for it in the portal for what you're bringing in.
Rueck is a creature of habit in the past. He does not like the portal at all, he does not use social media to the degree that many coaches do which is a must nowdays in portal shopping and recruiting. But maybe that does not matter to some.? Many half court set plays with an offense that is way too restrictive at times does not sell well. TVO deserves way better. I feel for her.

Reaction Score
Rueck is a creature of habit in the past. He does not like the portal at all, he does not use social media to the degree that many coaches do which is a must nowdays in portal shopping and recruiting. But maybe that does not matter to some.? Many half court set plays with an offense that is way too restrictive at times does not sell well. TVO deserves way better. I feel for her.
Gotcha, I don’t follow OSU very close but have noticed some of the transfers over the years

Rueck seems like a good guy but yes it’s going to be difficult for any coach in this day in age if they don’t adapt to what is happening in the college landscape between the portal, NIL, social media, etc. Those things are here to stay so you have to change with the times somewhat at least. If not it may be more difficult to land or hold on to prized players or recruits.

TVO is a baller. I’ve seen her play before but I really enjoyed getting a closer look at her all weekend, she is a good one. Beers will be very good for Oregon St as well

Reaction Score
Baylor is replacing two first round WNBA picks and not having Blackwell and Edwards right now is a big blow considering they were counted on to be the big hitters this year.

I know if LSU lost Reese we would be in major trouble.
Agree. Collen was counting on Blackwell and Edwards to be starters and provide big help with rebounding, physical play and scoring under basket. Losing those 2 starters is definitely hurting Baylor. Hopefully Aijah can recover soon and Dree will be cleared to play. If they are both out for a long time, Baylor will have difficult time winning Big 12 or going deep in tournament.

Reaction Score
Pam Ward just used a term I'd never heard of in the Arizona-Baylor game. Shaina Pellington made a really quick move to the basket when Baylor was expecting her to shoot a three. Ward talked about the "Statue of Liberty defense." :D
Heard it too and chuckled.

Reaction Score
In regards to Tennessee, I thought this was by far their best showing in a big game. Through 3 quarters they had solid execution and ball movement. I thought they did a great job of feeding Jackson in the 3rd to take it right at Brink on multiple possessions. Stanford just turned on the jets in the 4th. Brink is an absolute beast--if she could avoid dumb fouls I think she'd be a top 3-4 POY candidate this year. She does so much well and has had monster games vs. their three strongest opponents (Tennessee, Gonzaga, and South Carolina).

I thought Rickea Jackson looked really good in stretches. Loved Suarez today and Puckett shot the ball quite well. I think Tennessee will be fine in conference play. SEC is not good this year and it appears UT's losses aren't nearly as bad as they appeared to be early on. 4 are to teams currently in the top 6, another is to #10 UCLA, and the last is to #23 Gonzaga. Gonzaga, Virginia Tech and Stanford were all quite competitive games, too.
A friend and I were talking about that this weekend. To me, it seems she wants to go for the block versus being in position. With her length, she just needs to keep her arms straight up. I think Lobo made a comment to that effect during the game as well when she picked up a foul on a block attempt.

I get it's human nature to move the arm, but man, when I think of how tough it would be to shoot over her, I wonder why she even tries? Like the ball would literally hit her on the way up.

Reaction Score
Agree. Collen was counting on Blackwell and Edwards to be starters and provide big help with rebounding, physical play and scoring under basket. Losing those 2 starters is definitely hurting Baylor. Hopefully Aijah can recover soon and Dree will be cleared to play. If they are both out for a long time, Baylor will have difficult time winning Big 12 or going deep in tournament.
I'm not sure what the outlook of Edwards is looking like but yes that will be a big blow if she doesn't get approved. My only legit complaint with Baylor is they turn the ball over way too much at times. But the lack of a true inside threat that consistently rebounds and is able to finish in the paint isn't there right now with no Blackwell or Edwards. Bickle plays her role well but they need more than just her unfortunately.

I don't know what to make of the Big 12 this year. I would probably say Iowa St looks the best so far. Baylor and Texas have talent although between injuries and working through many new faces, they have hit bumps in the road certainly. Kansas is certainly a team to watch closely. A 2nd round NCAAT team last year brought back the the majority of that squad and have looked good so far. OU is a wildcard to me, they have some potent offensive players but somewhat skeptical on their defense at times. Should be a fun race this year in conference play.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what the outlook of Edwards is looking like but yes that will be a big blow if she doesn't get approved. My only legit complaint with Baylor is they turn the ball over way too much at times. But the lack of a true inside threat that consistently rebounds and is able to finish in the paint isn't there right now with no Blackwell or Edwards. Bickle plays her role well but they need more than just her unfortunately.

I don't know what to make of the Big 12 this year. I would probably say Iowa St looks the best so far. Baylor and Texas have talent although between injuries and working through many new faces, they have hit bumps in the road certainly. Kansas is certainly a team to watch closely. A 2nd round NCAAT team last year brought back the the majority of that squad and have looked good so far. OU is a wildcard to me, they have some potent offensive players but somewhat skeptical on their defense at times. Should be a fun race this year in conference play.
I agree about the lack of clarity in the Big 12. Kansas State could be another one to watch too. They have a good nucleus of players even with Lee out for the season.

Reaction Score
Arizona teams in action

Prairie View at ASU 12/17 2pm MST

Idaho at Grand Canyon 12/18 2pm MST

NAU at UC Davis 12/19 6pm MST.

Oh, and

Today the kitties host 0-8 Texas Southern at 7pm MST at McKale in their warm up for the Baylor loss. Kittie fans are hoping for a much different showing then the last home game.

Texas Southern is looking for its first victory and attempting to rebound from a 108 to 51 loss to the Seminoles of Florida State who the Huskies as we all know will be facing on Sunday.

The kitties are trying to bounce back from a 27-point home loss to the Kansas Blue Jays. It was a dismal showing in McKale as the kitties shot 30 per cent from the field and had more turnovers than assists. The Blue Jays pounded the kitties on the glass out rebounding them by 20 while also shooting 46% from the field.
Miracle win by the Jacks at Davis!!!!

Trailing by 14 entering the 4th NAU hangs around, hangs around and hangs around.

With 3 minutes left in the game senior point guard Regan Schrenk, who lead all scorers with 25, hits a three-pointer to narrow the deficit to 73-77.

With 29 seconds remaining and the Jacks trailing 76-80, NAU's identical twin Olivia Moran takes over, scoring the next four points via FT to lead the Jacks to the big win.

Huge come back win on the road as the Jacks get ready for Big Sky play.

Reaction Score

Agree. Yes the Big 12 race is certainly wide open this year. If Texas and Baylor can overcame their early season personel issues, I think 5 teams could be in race for title.

Unfortunately it will be a long season for Baylor if they cannot get Aijah and/or Dree on the floor. We just do not have players other than Bickle who can adequately step in and consistently get rebounds and handle pressure under the basketball. We have two very talented freshmen who are going to be great players for Baylor but they are freshman. Neither could handle pressure of Arizona.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
A friend and I were talking about that this weekend. To me, it seems she wants to go for the block versus being in position. With her length, she just needs to keep her arms straight up. I think Lobo made a comment to that effect during the game as well when she picked up a foul on a block attempt.

I get it's human nature to move the arm, but man, when I think of how tough it would be to shoot over her, I wonder why she even tries? Like the ball would literally hit her on the way up.
The really dumb fouls are when she reaches in on a smaller player on the way past, or does an obvious push, etc. She's rather good at blocking shots without fouling, though of course she'll pick up some fouls on those too.

Reaction Score
The really dumb fouls are when she reaches in on a smaller player on the way past, or does an obvious push, etc. She's rather good at blocking shots without fouling, though of course she'll pick up some fouls on those too.
That too. Don't understand why. Habit, footwork, or something else? Footwork is hard to believe as she is very mobile for her size. It's a head scratcher.

Reaction Score
Coach Neighbors must be going crazy over the FT shooting right now but overall it was a very good half for Arkansas
I'm not so sure it bothers him. We know he doesn't put a lot of thought into defense.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Jumpman invitational starts tonight down in Charlotte Tonight is Michigan vs The flagship public school of NC. Tomorrow is Oklahoma vs Florida. I assume that both will be televised.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately it will be a long season for Baylor if they cannot get Aijah and/or Dree on the floor. We just do not have players other than Bickle who can adequately step in and consistently get rebounds and handle pressure under the basketball. We have two very talented freshmen who are going to be great players for Baylor but they are freshman. Neither could handle pressure of Arizona.
Baylor has some very good freshmen but yeah its usually tough their first year. With the exception of a select small bunch, freshmen are generally very up and down year 1 as they learn how to adjust on the defensive end and facing bigger, faster and more physically gifted players.

I do want to say they need to figure out away for Owens, Andrews and Asberry to handle the pressure better with their ballhandling. Thats a veteran group, so they will have to step up as the youngsters continue to mature. They didn't seem to handle the traps well from Arizona, so something Collens will need to address.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom