Big Games: Week 5 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Big Games: Week 5

Reaction Score
I posted similar sentiments in the B1G thread but I have officially joined the Illinois bandwagon. That trio of starting guards is outstanding. All had moments of brilliance in today’s game against Iowa. Shauna Green has done a remarkable job in year one; this rebuild was even more challenging than the LSU program Mulkey has transformed. Everyone is talking about Indiana and Ohio State but Illinois has an outside shot to win the conference. Very few teams can contend with having three advanced playmakers on the floor at once (and IMO, that’s a large reason Connecticut has been so successful year in and year out).

As for Iowa, the defense is what it is and I don’t think it’s likely to improve because I don’t think the roster has the athletes to do it. Iowa is very effective in its own system and props to Bluder for optimizing it, but this is one of the least athletic teams I have seen (certainly in the top 25 and generally across P5 teams also). They don’t seem terribly disorganized defensively to me, but they struggle keeping players in front and aren’t particularly disruptive. Offensively, they can put points on the board. Clark didn’t have a great shooting day but had one of her signature unconscionable shooting stretches in the fourth that propelled Iowa back into the game. You have to wonder what Iowa could do if Clark had some help on the playmaking front. Molly Davis has looked okay but hasn’t capitalized on the dual-ballhandler role she transferred in for if you ask me.

Overall, a really fun and exciting game. The ACC race was originally thought to be the most competitive but I think ND looks like a favorite whereas the Big Ten appears relatively open.

Reaction Score
I gotta hand it to Kara -- She's doing a great job of tailoring her system to her team. A year ago I wouldn't have thought that Duke would be an elite defensive team this year.

It also helps to have players who can play the defence she wants. Don't think last year's roster had the capability to play the way she wanted. All due respect to Jada Williams, but she struggled defensively. Brown and Heide (sic?) are much better fits for what she wants to do.

The roster she has now is more of what she wanted for a team. Some of the early transfers since she took over the team didn't pan out either. We're now seeing her vision come into fruition after a rough couple seasons to start.

Reaction Score
I’m at the Syracuse/NC State game. State is leading at the half, but just barely, 34-26. Syracuse is very scrappy; they play high tempo and aggressive. It’s throwing State off. If Syracuse hit more of their open looks they could be leading.
My alma mater. They almost had them. The timing was a little off on that pass and cut. If I'm not mistaken that is a similar play that Q made up on a napkin and used to beat Florida State. Hyman, the lone Syracuse returnee post Q is the passer in both plays.

NC State version is below.

NC State vs. Syracuse Condensed Game | 2022-23 ACC Women’s Basketball

Reaction Score
Following up, some hours since the game ended. Syracuse did grab the lead at one point, 49-40. And then they went ice cold (despite numerous good looks) and could not defend as NC State chipped away. Still, a 55-54 final score …

Syracuse should feel good after this game, thinking if they can clean up and get better shots, they can be a tough out against most opponents. Syracuse fights very hard for rebounds, but they seem fairly stagnant on offense. (That’s based on the two in person games I’ve seen this year; next one is when ND comes to visit.)

The NC State players looked frustrated and rattled all game. Wes was not at all happy with their playing. They should feel good about grinding out a win, but they are very vulnerable to an upset.

Both teams looked very fatigued by the end.

There were less NC State fans at the game than I expected. Maybe because of the holiday?

ETA: Some very questionable officiating on both sides. I saw the same when Syracuse played Wake Forest at the Dome.
I thought Fair held the ball too much. She dribbles a lot and it stagnates the offense at times. Her shot selection needs work.

Reaction Score
I thought Fair held the ball too much. She dribbles a lot and it stagnates the offense at times. Her shot selection needs work.
I also thought that. Don’t get me wrong, she is certainly talented, but there were times she was dribbling into a mass of State players and could have passed it for a better look.

The ending of the game was very tough. Sooo close. If they had executed that play it would have been perfect. :oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom