Big Games: Week 5 | The Boneyard

Big Games: Week 5

Reaction Score
Arizona teams in action

Prairie View at ASU 12/17 2pm MST

Idaho at Grand Canyon 12/18 2pm MST

NAU at UC Davis 12/19 6pm MST.

Oh, and

Today the kitties host 0-8 Texas Southern at 7pm MST at McKale in their warm up for the Baylor loss. Kittie fans are hoping for a much different showing then the last home game.

Texas Southern is looking for its first victory and attempting to rebound from a 108 to 51 loss to the Seminoles of Florida State who the Huskies as we all know will be facing on Sunday.

The kitties are trying to bounce back from a 27-point home loss to the Kansas Blue Jays. It was a dismal showing in McKale as the kitties shot 30 per cent from the field and had more turnovers than assists. The Blue Jays pounded the kitties on the glass out rebounding them by 20 while also shooting 46% from the field.

Reaction Score
Arizona teams in action

Oh, and

Today the kitties host 0-8 Texas Southern at 7pm MST at McKale in their warm up for the Baylor loss. Kittie fans are hoping for a much different showing then the last home game.

Texas Southern is looking for its first victory and attempting to rebound from a 108 to 51 loss to the Seminoles of Florida State who the Huskies as we all know will be facing on Sunday.

The kitties are trying to bounce back from a 27-point home loss to the Kansas Blue Jays. It was a dismal showing in McKale as the kitties shot 30 per cent from the field and had more turnovers than assists. The Blue Jays pounded the kitties on the glass out rebounding them by 20 while also shooting 46% from the field.
I read an insightful article from Coach Barnes giving her thoughts on how the team performed and what she's expecting out of them going forward. It will be interesting to see how they bounce back when they play another ranked/more competitive team.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Arizona teams in action

Oh, and

Well, this is a PAC12 event - although Arizona played Texas Southern as well last year. This year, 6 PAC teams are playing HBCU's and Arizona team had to go to a museum (which wasn't identified in the article) as part of playing the game and learning about HBCUs.

As @cancontent indicated, Adia has a clear eyed view and expectations, taking a share of the blame for the failures against Kansas. Unless they can fix the problems she has laid out, it will be a long season and a prime exhibit of how the portal giveth and taketh away. If some of the upper classmen don't get the message, she made it very clear she is wiling to lose games playing freshmen doing the best they can.

That said, tonight's game means nothing, really. I am skipping it, although it is on the PAC networks for those that are interested.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
South Dakota State-South Carolina is on ESPN2 at 7 ET this evening. That has the potential to be a good game, we'll see whether the Jackrabbit team that beat Louisville or the one that got pounded by Washington State shows up.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
NC State is hosting Davidson and at least two Wolfpack regulars are out, Diamond Johnson and Jada Boyd.
Davidson features a local player making a visit to her former school, Elle Sutphin.
At the half, State is up 44-22, holding Davidson to 7 points in the 2nd quarter.
Stepping away, Muffet and company are still doing that remote halftime show (that just bothers me).

Reaction Score
Wish I could watch the UCLA/USC game but have no access to PAC 12 network.

Reaction Score
Wish I could watch the UCLA/USC game but have no access to PAC 12 network.
UCLA ends up winning 59-56. I did watch the game. I don't know what to make of it. UCLA's starting guards go 6-18 and 6-24. I believe Kiki Rice was 6-11 at half but went 0-7. She seems to struggle a bit shooting from outside but her shot selection wasn't too bad she just missed.
USC bigs were pretty impressive. Sissoko and Marshall both had really great moments and were able to work well inside. USC is a solid team, they just struggled executing at times. Destiny Littleton almost was playing point forward which was interesting.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Not a "big" game, but Oregon did overwhelm Eastern Washington (currently 192 in Massey) by 50 points last night.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
UCLA ends up winning 59-56. I did watch the game. I don't know what to make of it. UCLA's starting guards go 6-18 and 6-24. I believe Kiki Rice was 6-11 at half but went 0-7. She seems to struggle a bit shooting from outside but her shot selection wasn't too bad she just missed.
USC bigs were pretty impressive. Sissoko and Marshall both had really great moments and were able to work well inside. USC is a solid team, they just struggled executing at times. Destiny Littleton almost was playing point forward which was interesting.
I caught the game and yes it was interesting. USC impressed me more than I thought. They have a good interior game and Bigby gave them some outside shooting when she was in the game. Defensively USC looked good. Offensively was their challenge as they needed more scoring and their was little to no offensive flow at times and it could have been because of the PG situation. Littleton was trying way to hard to draw offensive fouls. I dont know where she leaned or thought it would work but the PAC 12 refs weren’t buying it. If they can get a PG and a better offense they could be on to something.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Well, this is a PAC12 event - although Arizona played Texas Southern as well last year. This year, 6 PAC teams are playing HBCU's and Arizona team had to go to a museum (which wasn't identified in the article) as part of playing the game and learning about HBCUs.

As @cancontent indicated, Adia has a clear eyed view and expectations, taking a share of the blame for the failures against Kansas. Unless they can fix the problems she has laid out, it will be a long season and a prime exhibit of how the portal giveth and taketh away. If some of the upper classmen don't get the message, she made it very clear she is wiling to lose games playing freshmen doing the best they can.

That said, tonight's game means nothing, really. I am skipping it, although it is on the PAC networks for those that are interested.
What I find a little puzzling is that Barnes starts 5 seniors (two of them 5th year seniors, I believe) with a 6th senior (also 5th year), really a 6th starter, coming off the bench. (At least this seemed to be the case in the Kansas game.) One would think that it would be easier to mesh all that experience. Since 4 of the 6 are, I believe, transfers, and Barnes seems to have encouraged a number of players to transfer out (6 in all) after last season, it seems to me that you are right in seeing Arizona as something of a testing ground for the complex effects of the Portal.

She has a really talented group of recruits this season, with more on the way next year. I'd go with that.

Reaction Score
I caught the game and yes it was interesting. USC impressed me more than I thought. They have a good interior game and Bigby gave them some outside shooting when she was in the game. Defensively USC looked good. Offensively was their challenge as they needed more scoring and their was little to no offensive flow at times and it could have been because of the PG situation. Littleton was trying way to hard to draw offensive fouls. I dont know where she leaned or thought it would work but the PAC 12 refs weren’t buying it. If they can get a PG and a better offense they could be on to something.
Really looking forward to USC game this weekend vs Texas on ESPN 2 I believe

Last edited:
Reaction Score

In addition to what appears to be a forced trip to a museum the 20th rank kitties got double-digit minutes for everyone on the roster and of course everyone did get their personal foul with the exception of Cate Reese.

In their double-digit victory over Texas Southern on museum weekend the kitties had more turnovers than assists. Looks like they're ready for that big game later this weekend.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
"Had to go to a museum. . ." ". . . Forced trip to a museum. . ." These kids are students who are supposed to be learning. Y'all talk as though spending a couple of hours at a museum is something that they're doing it reluctantly or against their will. I've loved museums my whole life, and I went to a few as part of my college education.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
"Had to go to a museum. . ." ". . . Forced trip to a museum. . ." These kids are students who are supposed to be learning. Y'all talk as though spending a couple of hours at a museum is something that they're doing it reluctantly or against their will. I've loved museums my whole life, and I went to a few as part of my college education.
The Pac12 HBCU games provide a not-to-be-missed educational opportunity, especially for those Pac12 teams lucky enough to visit one of the HBCU campuses. I know that Oregon felt that basketball was perhaps the least important part of its trip to Southern in November, and I suspect other teams felt the same way as well.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It was an absolutely marvelous experience, written up in the paper. For one of the students, it was their first visit ever to a museum. Blown away. Even for Adia, she learned a lot she didn't know The museum is new and hasn't actually opened to the public yet, I saw the name but have already forgotten it, and I'm not sure I know where it is, either. But essentially, Black history of the Southwest, one of the described exhibits was on the Buffalo Soldiers.

I wasn't making an editorial comment when I said "had to go to a museum". I myself am a great fan of museums (and historical homes) however my wife - while we have been to some - has more limited museum / house museum interests.

My parents started me early - a visit to Gettysburg when I was under 10, plus school visits to the Museum of Natural History and the (defunct) American Indian Museum in Manhattan started my interest, as well as the Ford Mansion in Morristown, NJ where George Washington stayed as my first house museum. Among other exhibits, they had the suit he wore for his first inauguration.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thanks @jonson and @KnightBridgeAZ . I'm glad I misinterpreted.

I'll be retiring within a couple of years and intend to spend a lot of time in museums and galleries. I'm lucky to live near the Smithsonian -- we probably did at least one museum every couple of months when our daughter was young (and home schooled), but haven't been since the spit hit the fan covid-wise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom