Big East Transfers | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Big East Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His game is so one dimensional and not made for today's NBA game at all. He can instantly elevate a college program though.
On the other hand, another year in school won't do anything for his fit in the NBA. This NIL change could theoretically impact the calculus for a player like Kofi, who will no doubt be a much bigger name at a high visibility college program than he would be as a guy struggling to get off the bench in the NBA (or in the G League/international).

Reaction Score
On the other hand, another year in school won't do anything for his fit in the NBA. This NIL change could theoretically impact the calculus for a player like Kofi, who will no doubt be a much bigger name at a high visibility college program than he would be as a guy struggling to get off the bench in the NBA (or in the G League/international).
I agree with you. I think it's better he goes back to school. His NIL potential is way better at a major college program than being in the G League or overseas.

Reaction Score
100%. why would more guys going to the g league for a million dollar contract when they will get infinitely more exposure at a blue blood college. the boosters will cover that portion of his "salary" and social media deals etc will be flowing in

Reaction Score
I did not see that one coming. My bet would have to be Kentucky with his assistant coaches headed there. Seems obvious

Reaction Score
Transfer portal is a freebie. You may as well put in, even if you end up staying in draft or going back to same school. But there was a deadline, so had to get the freebie in time.

Reaction Score
Garcia making the right call to stay in college.

Marquette still in the mix:

Marquette current depth w/o Garcia: IMO, the 5 spot is in dire need of Garcia returning.

1625603286817.png

How Garcia fits at each school:
  • North Carolina - not a great fit
    • Armando Bacot at the 5
    • Brady Manek (Oklahoma transfer) at the 4
    • Justin McCoy (Virginia transfer) will get 4 minutes too
  • Arizona - better than UNC, but still not good
    • Azuolas Tubelis at the 4/5 (#57 '20 recruit, led team in rebounds and 2nd in points)
    • Christian Koloko at the 5 (17.3 mpg, led team in blocks)
    • Oumar Ballo at the 5 (Gonzaga transfer, former #78 recruit)
  • Illinois - Excellent
    • Omar Payne (Florida transfer) at the 5. 15.7 mpg last year, former #45 recruit
    • Coleman Hawkins - 6.3 mpg
    • No '21 prospects that are bigs
My baseless guess: Illinois.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Marquette current depth w/o Garcia: IMO, the 5 spot is in dire need of Garcia returning.

View attachment 68421
    • Armando Bacot at the 5
    • Azuolas Tubelis at the 4/5 (#57 '20 recruit, led team in rebounds and 2nd in points)
  • Illinois - Excellent
    • Omar Payne (Florida transfer) at the 5. 15.7 mpg last year, former #45 recruit

Yeah rumor has been Kofi to Kentucky and Garcia to Illinois to replace.

Reaction Score

View attachment 68421
    • Armando Bacot at the 5
  • Illinois - Excellent

Great analysis. I also think IL is his landing spot. I'll point out as well that Marquette already has 12 scholarships (actually 13 with a COVID bonus year one) accounted for... so if he returns, that'd be a scholarship issue.

*edit: I take that back... there's confusion on Greg Elliot if he uses a COVID exemption this year or not b/c of his injury redshirt. So Marquette may or may not have a spot open, depending on what the actual rule is with that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great analysis. I also think IL is his landing spot. I'll point out as well that Marquette already has 12 scholarships (actually 13 with a COVID bonus year one) accounted for... so if he returns, that'd be a scholarship issue.

*edit: I take that back... there's confusion on Greg Elliot if he uses a COVID exemption this year or not b/c of his injury redshirt. So Marquette may or may not have a spot open, depending on what the actual rule is with that.
Not sure about the finer details of the situation, but I do know that Kuath is using his extra year to play at MU, so remove his scholly off the books:

On edit, per @rollskies, there's a good chance what I said above is wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure about the finer details of the situation, but I do know that Kuath is using his extra year to play at MU, so remove his scholly off the books:

I thought the free scholarship was only if you returned to the same school? i.e if we had brought in a grad transfer it would have counted as a scholarship.

The rules are so confusing it’s hard to keep up with.

Reaction Score
Very interesting. Walker Kessler replacement I guess.
They already "replaced" Kessler with Oklahoma's Brady Manek (6'9 230, 10.8p, 5r, 37.5 3p%). Plus, they have Bacot back too (12.3p, 7.8r) however he's an interior-only big.

I guess acquiring Dylan Disu and Christian Bishop didn't stop Texas from acquiring Tre Mitchell.

Reaction Score
Wow, UNC replaced their frontcourt of Brooks/Kessler/Sharpe (14 combined 3PA) with Garcia/Manek/McKoy (combined 77-210, 36.7 3p%).

For a team that shot 31.7 3p% (251th in nation) and 48.5 2p% (227th in the nation), that efficiency from their bigs will be huge in both improving not only their team's outside shooting, but also spacing for driving lanes and limiting double-teams from Bacot inside.

If North Carolina wants to win big, their guards have to start shooting better. Caleb Love, RJ Davis and Leaky Black all shot under 37% last year. Kerwin Walton is their only returning guard who shoots efficiently (52.5 2p%, 42 3p%).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow, UNC replaced their frontcourt of Brooks/Kessler/Sharpe (14 combined 3PA) with Garcia/Manek/McKoy (combined 77-210, 36.7 3p%).

For a team that shot 31.7 3p% (251th in nation) and 48.5 2p% (227th in the nation), that efficiency from their bigs will be huge in both improving not only their team's outside shooting, but also spacing for driving lanes and limiting double-teams from Bacot inside.

If North Carolina wants to win big, their guards have to start shooting better. Caleb Love, RJ Davis and Leaky Black all shot under 37% last year. Kerwin Walton is their only returning guard who shoots efficiently (52.5 2p%, 42 3p%).
Their guards stink out loud. Top 5 front court but their guards are basically a bunch of Gilbert-esque shooters lol

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thinks it odd that he goes to a loaded school after they just played them this past season? #tampering

UNC is so shady - but we’re the ones that got the APR ban despite them having fake classes for 2 decades plus!

Wonder if schools will be a little pickier in non conference opponents going forward due to tampering?

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thinks it odd that he goes to a loaded school after they just played them this past season? #tampering

UNC is so shady - but we’re the ones that got the APR ban despite them having fake classes for 2 decades plus!

Wonder if schools will be a little pickier in non conference opponents going forward due to tampering?
If you think the only way UNC can tamper with Dawson Garcia is by being in the same stadium as him that's a next level of naivete. No way they can call him on the phone or send him a text if Marquette doesn't schedule a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom