Big East Transfer Portal Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Big East Transfer Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Nembhard was super crafty and a great passer, but Ashworth's shooting rates from a tough league is pretty darn impressive:

51.4 2p%, 3.2 3PM, 43.4 3p%, 4.0 FTA, 87.8 FT%.

According to KenPom, Ashworth had the 22nd best offensive rating this season.

Might Creighton be better this year with Ashworth over Nembhard?

Reaction Score

Nembhard was super crafty and a great passer, but Ashworth's shooting rates from a tough league is pretty darn impressive:

51.4 2p%, 3.2 3PM, 43.4 3p%, 4.0 FTA, 87.8 FT%.

According to KenPom, Ashworth had the 22nd best offensive rating this season.

Might Creighton be better this year with Ashworth over Nembhard?

Absolutely. As of right now they're the 1A to UConn in the Big East. Which is not dissimilar to last year at this time, both teams took the long path but ended up exactly where we all expected by March

Reaction Score
If the UVA transfer is any good, Creighton may just end up net positive in the portal this year
It'll absolutely be a net positive for them. Still early and teams filling out their roster, but Bart Torvik has them as the #1 team for next season as of right now

Reaction Score
If Trey, Kaluma, and Kalk stick around the starting 5 should be as good as it gets in the country again. Probably got a shooting upgrade, but less quickness and finishing at the rim from the PG spot.

Two more open scholarships need a ball handler off the bench to round things out.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. As of right now they're the 1A to UConn in the Big East. Which is not dissimilar to last year at this time, both teams took the long path but ended up exactly where we all expected by March
Forgetting Marquette which brings everyone back. I think it will be a 1A, 1B, and 1C situation - very difficult league to win.

Reaction Score
What does Creighton's depth look like? Same with Villanova. Their starting 5 will be as good as any, but their depth really falls off compared to ours.

Still think we are the best overall team next year, not just in the Big East, but in the country

edit: I'm also getting really tired on my comments not posting right away. Mods, what is going on? Can you please fix this? I don't even know what I did wrong

Reaction Score
Hope Curbelo goes to UMass and then Diggins beats him out for the starting gig.

That is…not an impressive list. Feels like a lot of lost potential since his freshman year

Reaction Score
Creighton's Zander Yates to Liberty.

Yates was a walk-on at Creighton, but held three other offers out of D1 (low- and mid-majors) so Yates will likely get regular PT at Liberty, even though they are one of the better mid-majors out there.

Reaction Score
Forgetting Marquette which brings everyone back. I think it will be a 1A, 1B, and 1C situation - very difficult league to win.
Some of the players have posted some cryptic things that make it look like they may be losing some kids they didn’t expect to.
(Prosper declared, Kam may be gone)

Reaction Score
What does Creighton's depth look like? Same with Villanova. Their starting 5 will be as good as any, but their depth really falls off compared to ours.
Ashworth/Kalbrenner/Scheierman/Alexander is a very good base to the starting lineup. If Kaluma is gone, Mason Miller (Mike Miller's son, former #70 prospect) is a very suitable replacement to start at the 4 if Virginia transfer Isaac Traudt (#64 prospect of '22) isn't ready.

So right there, that's a solid six and that doesn't include their top two commits from '22: King (was backup big last year) and Green (didn't play much).

So, I see a deep and formidable frontcourt but the backcourt lacks depth.
That is…not an impressive list. Feels like a lot of lost potential since his freshman year
I mean, Curbelo isn't that good. Fun to watch, flashy guy, he has a heck of a mixtape. But he's mistake prone, poor shooter and not a good defender. Maybe playing at a great high school like Long Island Lutheran hyped his recruitment? I can see his style of play looking enticing when scouting HS.

Reaction Score
Considering how bad Butler has been for a while, not a bad thing:

Here's their portal haul so far:
  • Pierre Brooks 6’6 225 JR from Michigan State, former #68, 3.6p, 14.3 mpg, 32.4 3p%
  • Jahmyl Telfort 6’7 224 SR from Northeastern, 16.4p, 4.5r, 2.2a, 1.0s, 32.1 3p% in 33.9 mpg
  • Landon Moore 6’3 200 SO from St. Francis (PA), 13.1p, 2.8r, 3.6a, 36.0 3p% in 30.7 mpg
  • Andre Screen 7’0 251 SR from Bucknell, 11.2p, 5.6r, 1.4a, 1.3b, 62.2 fg%

Reaction Score
Just saw that Ashworth made 111 three pointers in 35 games last year.

Didn't sound too impressive until I looked up Jordan Hawkins for reference, and Hawkins made 109 threes in 37 games

WOW

Reaction Score
Hope Curbelo goes to UMass and then Diggins beats him out for the starting gig.

It'll take the right coach but Curbelo has some serious talent. Kind of the troubled genius type. Reminds me of Dimitar Berbatov for the soccer fans out there. Incredible skill, sees the game in a way others don't, but butts heads with almost everybody and can have trouble with motivation and hotheadedness. I'll root for the kid.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Considering how bad Butler has been for a while, not a bad thing:

Here's their portal haul so far:
  • Pierre Brooks 6’6 225 JR from Michigan State, former #68, 3.6p, 14.3 mpg, 32.4 3p%
  • Jahmyl Telfort 6’7 224 SR from Northeastern, 16.4p, 4.5r, 2.2a, 1.0s, 32.1 3p% in 33.9 mpg
  • Landon Moore 6’3 200 SO from St. Francis (PA), 13.1p, 2.8r, 3.6a, 36.0 3p% in 30.7 mpg
  • Andre Screen 7’0 251 SR from Bucknell, 11.2p, 5.6r, 1.4a, 1.3b, 62.2 fg%

All those "returning" numbers are going to get worse with Ali Ali entering the portal. I can guarantee this is NOT what the Butler Administration was expecting when they hired Thad Matta. There is one borderline Top 100 recruit coming in, plus this collection of low major transfers, and everyone else has left. I found some guy named DJ Hughes returning, who I do not recall at all. Last year's team was not great, but Harris went to SMU and Taylor went to NC State, so last year's players didn't all suck. I am not sure we can say the same about next year's team. Matta needs to get Lukosius back.

Unless more than one of these players shows a quantum leap, Butler is going to get slaughtered next year. Depaul is going to be playing its scrubs in the second half against Butler. I really liked LaVall Jordan as a game coach, he just couldn't recruit. His classes look like UNC's or Duke's compared to what Matta is bringing in.

Reaction Score
All those "returning" numbers are going to get worse with Ali Ali entering the portal. I can guarantee this is NOT what the Butler Administration was expecting when they hired Thad Matta. There is one borderline Top 100 recruit coming in, plus this collection of low major transfers, and everyone else has left. I found some guy named DJ Hughes returning, who I do not recall at all. Last year's team was not great, but Harris went to SMU and Taylor went to NC State, so last year's players didn't all suck. I am not sure we can say the same about next year's team. Matta needs to get Lukosius back.

Unless more than one of these players shows a quantum leap, Butler is going to get slaughtered next year. Depaul is going to be playing its scrubs in the second half against Butler. I really liked LaVall Jordan as a game coach, he just couldn't recruit. His classes look like UNC's or Duke's compared to what Matta is bringing in.
1) Their top recruit from the '23 class, Finley Bizjack, is the second highest ranked recruit in Butler history and their second best recruit, Boden Kapke, is their 24th highest ranked recruit in Butler history, so your last point on how Jordan recruits better than Matta doesn't really land well.

2) Their transfer haul isn't elite, but it's pretty good. Pierre Brooks is a former top-75 recruit who played 14 mpg last season at Michigan State and should start.

Telfort was very productive in the CAA, a solid mid-major league and Andre Screen was a good starting center on one of the best teams in the Patriot league, Bucknell, a program that tends to have some good success from their transfer ups (Nate Sestina, Kentucky; Andrew Funk, Penn State).

Landon Moore was very good in his freshman year at St. Francis (PA): 13.1p, 2.8r, 3.6a, 36.0 3p%. Yes, the jump from the NEC to Big East is massive, so there's mystery in how he can adapt, but he's only an incoming sophomore.

3) It's April 19th. Over 500 kids are still in the portal. There's time.

In summary, I still think Butler is one of the worst teams in the Big East, along with DePaul, but it's too soon to judge the roster. Personally, I think the '23 class, when you combine '23 recruits and transfers, is pretty good.

I think a fresh start is good for the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom