Big East Transfer Portal Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Transfer Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No this one doesn't move the needle that much. He's okay. Decent distributor. Decent on D. He'll probably be the 8th or 9th best PG in the Big East.

But at least Pitino has some progress.
I disagree slightly. My guess he'd be in the 5th-7th best PG in the Big East when all is said and done. Not a lot of PGs do much for me: Terry/Murphy from DePaul aren't good, Armstrong from Villanova hasn't shown much yet, Kadary Richmond from Seton Hall has holes in his game, Butler is TBD, but I expect them to be bad again...

To me, Jenkins, Clayton and Nelly Junior Joseph are the three players from Iona's squad last season who could start in the Big East.

While Jenkins doesn't have the same ceiling as Clayton, he, like Clayton, doesn't have any holes in his game and does a bit of everything.

Almost reminds me of Umoja Gibson from DePaul last year: based on a projected weak roster, Jenkins' usage rate will be high and he'll have nice counting numbers.

Reaction Score
Creighton update (long)

To no one’s surprise, the word is Zona straight up purchased Nembhard off of our roster.

At first I was furious but now less so. Due to his physical limitations Nembhard always had a more modest ceiling than some of the guys who are in the conversation with him regarding skill. Great player, loved the hell out of him, but too slight and too hot/cold to be a truly top shelf guy. His bad days were pretty ugly, and just look at the X tape from MSG for proof.

Really what everyone wanted was the whole starting 5 to come back, and him leaving brought out some vitriol, but after a week (and finding out what our other options might be) cooled people down.

Now to Kaluma: not only are there rumors Zona is trying to buy him too, it’s not the first time they’ve pulled this. Last year the rumor was they offered him a million to go. He went to HS in Arizona and they were one of his final teams. I found out the existence of the offer was real but not confirmation of its contents. But Art stayed, and I appreciate the heck out of it.

However I’d just as soon see him go, be it the NBA or somewhere else. Art isn’t the greatest fit for how we historically have played; at the 4 I think our ideal player would be someone like Tom Chambers (there’s a name) and Art, while really talented, isn’t that. Plus he does head scratching stuff and is another guy like Nembhard who’s ‘on’ most of the time but when he’s off it’s bad. I’d rather they turn it over to Mason Miller, who has the biggest hops on the team and is considered by some our best NBA prospect due to his shooting/size/athleticism. Oh and we may have gotten our Chambers type in 6 foot 10 Isaac Traudt, a transfer from Virginia who was a top recruit we finished second on last year.

Alexander’s reports are all over the place. Things like today, where he popped up at 21 on CBS’s draft board, won’t help.

Now to Ashworth: the word on the BYU board is we offered 400k. No idea if that’s true or sour grapes but it’s sounding like it’s us as a destination. His visit is tomorrow. You might not realize it but there’s a small but vibrant Mormon community on campus, aided by our dental school, which is a destination school for a staggering number of BYU grads who want to be dentists. I’m not kidding, it was even mentioned on the BYU board amidst all the grousing. Our last two Billy Bluejay mascots are/were dental school grad students who went to BYU and we’re both the Cougar mascot there as undergrads. Plus, one of our walk ons is from his town and knows his family, and put in a great word for us. High hopes there.

If we can somehow keep Trey in the fold and get Ashworth, we are loaded for bear regardless of Kaluma.

Reaction Score
Armstrong is hands down the better pro prospect but he’s nowhere near as ready as Ashworth is. This upcoming season is paramount for us so Ashworth is who I’d want, but I’m not kicking Armstrong to the curb, if it’s him then that’s great too.

The fact that we can attract that level of attention is heartening. These are top shelf transfers.

I doubt we can get both. If Ashworth commits he’s certainly the starter, and I can’t see Armstrong coming in under those circumstances.

Reaction Score
Creighton update (long)

To no one’s surprise, the word is Zona straight up purchased Nembhard off of our roster.

At first I was furious but now less so. Due to his physical limitations Nembhard always had a more modest ceiling than some of the guys who are in the conversation with him regarding skill. Great player, loved the hell out of him, but too slight and too hot/cold to be a truly top shelf guy. His bad days were pretty ugly, and just look at the X tape from MSG for proof.

Really what everyone wanted was the whole starting 5 to come back, and him leaving brought out some vitriol, but after a week (and finding out what our other options might be) cooled people down.

Now to Kaluma: not only are there rumors Zona is trying to buy him too, it’s not the first time they’ve pulled this. Last year the rumor was they offered him a million to go. He went to HS in Arizona and they were one of his final teams. I found out the existence of the offer was real but not confirmation of its contents. But Art stayed, and I appreciate the heck out of it.

However I’d just as soon see him go, be it the NBA or somewhere else. Art isn’t the greatest fit for how we historically have played; at the 4 I think our ideal player would be someone like Tom Chambers (there’s a name) and Art, while really talented, isn’t that. Plus he does head scratching stuff and is another guy like Nembhard who’s ‘on’ most of the time but when he’s off it’s bad. I’d rather they turn it over to Mason Miller, who has the biggest hops on the team and is considered by some our best NBA prospect due to his shooting/size/athleticism. Oh and we may have gotten our Chambers type in 6 foot 10 Isaac Traudt, a transfer from Virginia who was a top recruit we finished second on last year.

Alexander’s reports are all over the place. Things like today, where he popped up at 21 on CBS’s draft board, won’t help.

Now to Ashworth: the word on the BYU board is we offered 400k. No idea if that’s true or sour grapes but it’s sounding like it’s us as a destination. His visit is tomorrow. You might not realize it but there’s a small but vibrant Mormon community on campus, aided by our dental school, which is a destination school for a staggering number of BYU grads who want to be dentists. I’m not kidding, it was even mentioned on the BYU board amidst all the grousing. Our last two Billy Bluejay mascots are/were dental school grad students who went to BYU and we’re both the Cougar mascot there as undergrads. Plus, one of our walk ons is from his town and knows his family, and put in a great word for us. High hopes there.

If we can somehow keep Trey in the fold and get Ashworth, we are loaded for bear regardless of Kaluma.
one thing i have found while browsing other teams' boards: half of the posts are like "[college] offered [player] THIS much money" and "we offered [player] THAT much"

it's interesting to me that there are almost none of those posts on the boneyard. can't tell if it's just because of how tight-lipped our staff is, or if it's because hurley is genuinely operating in a different way. it's just kinda strange how prevalent the conversation is basically everywhere else in college basketball fandom.

Reaction Score
Creighton update (long)

Ashworth would be a big upgrade over FR/SO year Nembhard. I do think Ryan will be quite good this year, though. It's tough to lose him when he should actually break out into an all-league, assuming his jumper gets more consistent as an upperclassmen.

Having just had a wonderful season with a high BBIQ, very good passing, skilled and savvy, elite shooting 4, I really do recommend the experience.

That being said, I do think Nembhard is much easier to replace than Kaluma. There's just a lot more good PGs out there at the lower levels than mobile/athetic/skilled bigs, even as frustrating as Kaluma was at times. The Miller/Scheierman combo could work to fill the gaps, but you're definitely losing a physicality that Kaluma can bring (at his best/locked in).
Armstrong is hands down the better pro prospect but he’s nowhere near as ready as Ashworth is. This upcoming season is paramount for us so Ashworth is who I’d want, but I’m not kicking Armstrong to the curb, if it’s him then that’s great too.

The fact that we can attract that level of attention is heartening. These are top shelf transfers.

I doubt we can get both. If Ashworth commits he’s certainly the starter, and I can’t see Armstrong coming in under those circumstances.
Ashworth's ability to pull-up and shoot off the dribble is going to make guarding Kalkbrenner pick and rolls with him impossible. I also think Nembhard leaving could be a blessing in disguise, because you can sell Alexander on coming back and playing more on ball. Ashworth has a much better ability to play off ball than Nembhard. I never really liked the fit of them together (and I think its why the team was better when Nembhard got hurt as a freshman).

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
No this one doesn't move the needle that much. He's okay. Decent distributor. Decent on D. He'll probably be the 8th or 9th best PG in the Big East.

But at least Pitino has some progress.
i'm not even sure i get it anymore. are you feeding the troll, or strangling the troll?

Reaction Score
Would we jump on Ashworth if Timberlake turns us down? How about Brycen Long? Dude can shoot. Or Tylor Perry?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After one of their transfers changed their mind to return back to their original team, Butler arguably worked out in a better situation by instead adding Northeastern's Jahmyl Telfort:

Telfort was an All-CAA Third Team selection after averaging 16.4p, 4.5r, 22a, 1.0s, 51.8 2p%, 1.5 3PM, 32.1 3p%, 4.0 FTA, 79.8 FT% after his third season at Northeastern. Ranked around the middle of the team's defensive ratings.

At 6'7 224, played most of his minutes at the 4, but played a also as the team's point-forward in their bigger lineups.

Overall, I haven't watched him play much (I don't get FloSports which plays CAA games), but Telfort is an intriguing offensive weapon and mismatch option who could possibly start for Butler.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Oh and F Arizona. Cheating bastards.
Nembhard was an enigma to me. Sometimes he was so on and other times he played like he didnt care at all. Not saying he isn't a loss but I'm sure Coach McD can find a suitable replacement.

I think you are overreacting to the new Zona - Miller was the scumbag and I don't feel Tommy Lloyd is cut out of the same bad material as Miller.

Reaction Score
Awesome get in Bamba. Important spring for them, if I'm remembering correctly they whiffed on the incoming class for the most part (at least to Villanova's lofty expectations).

What is their public message board nowadays??? I remember when I had less responsibilities def spending time on there being from Pa and rooting for the conference. They def hated us with a passion so I rarely ever posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom