Big East shopping for new TV deal - Game on (or no games on). | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Big East shopping for new TV deal - Game on (or no games on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think whaler is giving up on trying to explain to you guys that the Big East simply isn't worth what most of you think it is. It has nothing to do with making decisions, but managing expectations.

If the teams were good, and the games were compelling, ESPN would broadcast them, not bury them. But the teams aren't, and the games aren't. NBC sports currently has some MWC games, CAA games, and CFL games. That's what we're being relegated to. The big boys are on ESPN (ABC), Fox, and CBS. We're going to be broadcast partners with the MWC and CAA.

It's not like the other networks didn't know that the big east was going to be available. They just aren't interested. NBC is the only one interested because as bad as the conference is, it's a step up from the CAA. So we have that going for us, which is nice.
And what's your definition of Notre Dame chuckles?

Reaction Score
Is this supposed to be an insult? I mean if you are trying to knock ND you picked the wrong season tough guy.

on the contrary, you did...

"NBC sports currently has some MWC games, CAA games, and CFL games. That's what we're being relegated to. The big boys are on ESPN (ABC), Fox, and CBS. We're going to be broadcast partners with the MWC and CAA"...

By your post, either Notre Dame isn't on NBC or they aren't one of the big boys... So I'll ask the question again, Chuckles... What's your definition of Notre Dame?

Reaction Score
on the contrary, you did...

"NBC sports currently has some MWC games, CAA games, and CFL games. That's what we're being relegated to. The big boys are on ESPN (ABC), Fox, and CBS. We're going to be broadcast partners with the MWC and CAA"...

By your post, either Notre Dame isn't on NBC or they aren't one of the big boys... So I'll ask the question again, Chuckles... What's your definition of Notre Dame?

By NBC sports i meant the NBC sports network.

I would have thought that was obvious since they don't show CAA games on NBC.

If you think we'd be "partners" with ND you're a moron. Anytime they have a home game, they will be on NBC. No matter who they are playing.

Reaction Score
By NBC sports i meant the NBC sports network.

I would have thought that was obvious since they don't show CAA games on NBC.

If you think we'd be "partners" with ND you're a moron. Anytime they have a home game, they will be on NBC. No matter who they are playing.
Lighten up Francis...
ND is a big boy outside of ESPN, fox, and CBS. They are on NBC.
Are you really going to debate about whether the BE is going to be exclusive to NBC sports network? Why don't you make up more crap so you can get all pissy when someone calls you out.
Second, nobody suggested a partnership with nd? Again, you're making stuff up to create a debate.

Reaction Score
Lighten up Francis...
ND is a big boy outside of ESPN, fox, and CBS. They are on NBC.
Are you really going to debate about whether the BE is going to be exclusive to NBC sports network? Why don't you make up more crap so you can get all pissy when someone calls you out.
Second, nobody suggested a partnership with nd? Again, you're making stuff up to create a debate.

You're a idiot.

"Broadcast partners" moron. I used the phrase before. We would not be on equal ground. I don't know why I am wasting my time. You're not worth it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
That's cool, I've been called far worse by far better...

I release you...

You have to understand that there are two camps on this one; the "NBC could be a good thing" camp, and the "We're NBC dooooomed!" camp. I happen to be in the former camp, while WingU is squarely in the latter. The NBC-doomed camp does not accept, nor will they seemingly ever accept, that a contract with NBC/NBCSports could be a good thing for both UConn and the Big East. Once you have that information, there is no sense in argument. From either side!

At this point, the most fruitful thing we can do as fellow UConn fans is to NOT kill each other and wait and see what unfolds in the contract situation. In Aresco, we trust... ;)

Reaction Score
There are positives and negatives to both NBC and ESPN.

I believe we are better served on the ESPN/ABC networks.

I see Harvard is playing Penn on NBCSN, and I'm still laughing at the moron with the idea they would be considered big boys since ND plays on NBC.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This Saturday at noon on NBCS what gets a higher rating - random MLS playoff game or Louisville/Syracuse?

If Louisville wasn't undefeated I'd probably take MLS.

You would be completely, totally, hysterically wrong.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You would be completely, totally, hysterically wrong.

I might be. There would be a dozen football games on to split football viewership. An MLS playoff game would be something different. I've seen some of the numbers they get for MLS - they aren't good but Syracuse and Louisville isn't exactly appointment television.

zls44

Reaction Score
I might be. There would be a dozen football games on to split football viewership. An MLS playoff game would be something different. I've seen some of the numbers they get for MLS - they aren't good but Syracuse and Louisville isn't exactly appointment television.

It's still better.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There are positives and negatives to both NBC and ESPN.

I believe we are better served on the ESPN/ABC networks.

I see Harvard is playing Penn on NBCSN, and I'm still laughing at the moron with the idea they would be considered big boys since ND plays on NBC.

Yes, all true. The Big East has much bigger problems than which network it is on. The BE has no identity. Nowhere is "Big East Country". What identity we had as an eastern hoops conference has been lost. We are truly the island of misfit programs. It doesn't matter if Louisville-Cincy is a decent game. Ohio belongs first to the B1G and second to the MAC. The keys to success for the other leagues isn't just on the field, it is in mind share of the casual fan. People in Virginia will watch Wake vs GT. We can't even match that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

zls44

Reaction Score
What kind of numbers do the CUSA/MWC games get on CBS cable?

I've never seen them. But I've seen the MLS numbers. And I'm a soccer fan. Bigtime.

I'd guess those CUSA/MWC games pull anywhere from a .15-.5

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yes, all true. The Big East has much bigger problems than which network it is on. The BE has no identity. Nowhere is "Big East Country". What identity we had as an eastern hoops conference has been lost. We are truly the island of misfit programs. It doesn't matter if Louisville-Cincy is a decent game. Ohio belongs first to the B1G and second to the MAC. The keys to success for the other leagues isn't just on the field, it is in mind share of the casual fan. People in Virginia will watch Wake vs GT. We can't even match that.

How much better would perception and the TV negotiations be going if it still had WV, VT, Miami? Maybe not a ton but I have to think a significant difference. I need to open an interdimensional portal into the alternate universe where the BE added Louisville and Cincinnati and kept the OBE teams.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How much better would perception and the TV negotiations be going if it still had WV, VT, Miami? Maybe not a ton but I have to think a significant difference. I need to open an interdimensional portal into the alternate universe where the BE added Louisville and Cincinnati and kept the OBE teams.

And BC, despite how bad they are at present. Look at the map, we'd have the only two in New England (save UMass who would join if asked at some later date), on in upstate NY, one in PA, one in southern OH, one in KY, one in WV, on in western VA, one in NJ. Miami could be lost, and we'd have a cohesive claim on the top right corner of the country. It's all a fantasy at this point, but this 10 team league is pretty good: UConn, BC, Pitt, Cuse, RU, UL, Cincy, WVU, VT, Miami. It should have jetisoned the basketball only schools years ago and committed as a strong all sports league. It would be strong enough to make a play for Maryland, if not Penn State. What a total disaster that it fell apart.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

More money, better exposure and success on the field will rebuild the brand. I agree it is problem though.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
More money than before... but the gap between us and the ACC will increase. That's the primary problem. The branding / identity problem is the icing on the cake.

Reaction Score
The real problem goes all the way back to when 3 basketball onlies voted against Penn St, the next year Pittsburgh came in. Had we brought in Penn St, added Pitt to Syracuse, Boston College this was 1982-1983. Then we could have invited West Virginia, Rutgers, Temple, Virginia Tech, Miami, Florida St which would have created a great conference. With that group no-one would have been leaving, and UConn could have upgraded gradually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom