Big East shopping for new TV deal - Game on (or no games on). | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big East shopping for new TV deal - Game on (or no games on).

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This Saturday at noon on NBCS what gets a higher rating - random MLS playoff game or Louisville/Syracuse?

If Louisville wasn't undefeated I'd probably take MLS.

But Louisville is undefeated, so I guess you are in a very cloudy way saying that you would watch the Big East game...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't think there is anyway NBC brackets ND with two games. No way do they put the NNBE on in primetime. Ratings death. There isn't a single matchup in the league this year they could put in that slot. Maybe Rutgers Louisville if Kent State wasn't so good. Louisville Boise if Boise would stop losing maybe.

The teams that I would see in those spots based on this year's performance would be Boise, Louisville, Cincy, Rutgers, possibly UCF, and maybe a big city matchup (like SDSU and Pitt).

Reaction Score
So you didn't say "You're the one making definitive statements. I said it's all speculation..."??? Okay, it's MY reading comprehension that needs work, huh?

So you aren't the one who made the definitive statement that NBC would move MLS games?

Yes Dan, with reference to what you quoted, it's your reading comprehension that needs work.

You wrote: "The link was showing you the fact that the opinion was not based on my speculation alone (which if you read my post, you would have read that part also)."

I said the reporter was speculating, you accused me of attributing those comments to you. I didn't. Your reading comprehension needs work. I never said it was based on your speculation alone...since I read your post and read the article.

You're pretty special. You're giving me other people's speculation. You're calling them facts. Yes, that they've made speculations is a fact. No, just because they've speculated, doesn't mean their speculations are facts. And while you haven't expressely stated they were facts, you keep talking as if you're bringing facts to the table by introducing other people's speculation. It's really pretty funny to watch.

You can't provide any facts to support their speculations, so you just keep talking about the fact they've speculated. That's great, but it does nothing to support their speculation. Why the fact that I disagree with their speculations is somehow a personal attack on you still remains a mystery.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The teams that I would see in those spots based on this year's performance would be Boise, Louisville, Cincy, Rutgers, possibly UCF, and maybe a big city matchup (like SDSU and Pitt).

But don't they have to be playing each other? Boise isn't even good, if they played a legit schedule this year it would be quite obvious.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So you aren't the one who made the definitive statement that NBC would move MLS games?

Yes Dan, with reference to what you quoted, it's your reading comprehension that needs work.

You wrote: "The link was showing you the fact that the opinion was not based on my speculation alone (which if you read my post, you would have read that part also)."

I said the reporter was speculating, you accused me of attributing those comments to you. I didn't. Your reading comprehension needs work. I never said it was based on your speculation alone...since I read your post and read the article.

You're pretty special. You're giving me other people's speculation. You're calling them facts. Yes, that they've made speculations is a fact. No, just because they've speculated, doesn't mean their speculations are facts.

You can't provide any facts to support their speculations, so you just keep talking about the fact they've speculated. That's great, but it does nothing to support their speculation. That I disagree with their speculations is somehow a personal attack on you still remains a mystery.

Please show me where I called the speculation a fact? Please link it or tell me on what page it was. I was very forthright with the fact that it was the OPINION of others. I was pretty clear about the fact that I was using it only as support of my OPINION. So please, please tell me where I said it was a fact.

I won't take it personal if you simply say, "Hey, you believe they will change the time of an MLS game, and I don't," or "Hey, you believe they will bracket the ND game and I don't." It's a hell of a lot better than saying stuff to the effect of "I've seen that we are $hitty, and if you can't admit it, that's your problem." (I know that wasn't your direct quote, but at this point, I'm too lazy to go get it).

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
But don't they have to be playing each other? Boise isn't even good, if they played a legit schedule this year it would be quite obvious.

Yeah, I meant that those teams playing each other would be the matchups. Like Boise-Cincy or Louisville-UCF, and so forth.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That may be a fantasy, but it is not a fantasy that I concocted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...ne-games-national-tv-article-1.1127668?pgno=1''

"One of the network’s ideas may be to run a full day of Big East football, along with Notre Dame home games, from noon to midnight Saturdays on either NBC or its still-growing cable channel."

This was one of multiple write-ups speculating on that being a real possibility. Does this mean it will happen? Of course not. But why are you "poo-pooing" an idea for being fantasy when others are already speculating on it and how it makes sense?

Just for clarity's sake, this was the post where I introduced the writeup from the New York Daily News. NOWHERE do I say that it is fact. I used sentences like "...it is not a fantasy that I concocted," and "....speculating on that being a real possibility. Does this mean it will happen? Of course not." Thanks, WingU...

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Sorry it's not clear. I don't think NBC is good for UConn or the Big East.

I never claimed to have any info - My stance is simple. NBC is a graveyard. Go to NBC - league stops getting players - quality of play goes down - people stop watching altogether.

I'm not badgering anyone - I just think the NBC circlejerk is wrong. If you want to argue against ESPN come up with real reasons - not hurt feelings.

I'd love to know how the majority of BY's come down on this issue. Recognizing its not completely black and white, I got to believe the whaler/wingU perspective represents the majority. Can someone do a poll for this?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'd love to know how the majority of BY's come down on this issue. Recognizing its not completely black and white, I got to believe the whaler/wingU perspective represents the majority. Can someone do a poll for this?

I think the answer would vary greatly depending on how you phrase the poll question(s), or at least for me it would. For instance, if you say, "Given equivalent contracts, who do you take: ESPN or NBC?", my answer will be different than, "If NBC offers a better contract, would you take it?". Maybe I'm in the super-minority then...

Reaction Score
Please show me where I called the speculation a fact? Please link it or tell me on what page it was. I was very forthright with the fact that it was the OPINION of others. I was pretty clear about the fact that I was using it only as support of my OPINION. So please, please tell me where I said it was a fact.

And while you haven't expressly stated they were facts, you keep talking as if you're bringing facts to the table by introducing other people's speculation. It's really pretty funny to watch.

Yes Dan, you were clear, I admitted you didn't state they were facts. You see, your reading comprehension is a problem.

However, when you continuously challenge someone to introduce facts, while introducting nothing but speculation in your own defense, you are either a) a giant hypocrite or b) treating the speculation as factual information that actually supports your argument. (without actually calling them facts because you aren't stupid).

I accused you of the latter, but if you'd like me to call you a hypocrite I can do that.

And while we're discussing hypocrisy and reading comprehension, I'm still waiting for you to quote where I said the deal would be as you accused me of doing.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yes Dan, you were clear, I admitted you didn't state they were facts. You see, your reading comprehension is a problem.

However, when you continuously challenge someone to introduce facts, while introducting nothing but speculation in your own defense, you are either a) a giant hypocrite or b) treating the speculation as factual information that actually supports your argument. (without actually calling them facts because you aren't stupid).

I accused you of the latter, but if you'd like me to call you a hypocrite I can do that.

And while we're discussing hypocrisy and reading comprehension, I'm still waiting for you to quote where I said the deal would be ****ty as you accused me of doing.

So....you are saying that you admit I didn't state they were facts, but then fell back to your "position b)" which essentially says that I was treating the speculation like factual information....and I'M the one with the comprehension problem. You're right. I am. I can't comprehend your self-contradiction.

The two moments that I've found where you used a version of the word "" were: 1) "Ville/USF is a dog**** game..." and 2) "The outlook for UConn and the Big East is $hitty...", so take your pick...

Reaction Score
So....you are saying that you admit I didn't state they were facts, but then fell back to your "position b)" which essentially says that I was treating the speculation like factual information....and I'M the one with the comprehension problem. You're right. I am. I can't comprehend your self-contradiction.

The two moments that I've found where you used a version of the word "" were: 1) "Ville/USF is a dog**** game..." and 2) "The outlook for UConn and the Big East is $hitty...", so take your pick...

I overestimated your intelligence. I apologize, I'll go with the former. You're using speculation while demanding I use facts. You're a hypocrite. That's about as simple as I can say it for you.

Neither of those said the Big East was going to get a deal.

Your reading comprehension sucks, glad we can agree.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I think you are right and I think the most important schools agree. Louisville being the most obvious.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I overestimated your intelligence. I apologize, I'll go with the former. You're using speculation while demanding I use facts. You're a hypocrite. That's about as simple as I can say it for you.

Neither of those said the Big East was going to get a ****ty deal.

Your reading comprehension sucks, glad we can agree.

Christ almighty. I typed "A lot of "the Big East is $hitty. That's the reality of it." which was the last portion of your statement "The outlook of UConn and the Big East is $hitty. That's the reality of it." I only added a portion of your statement that I could remember, and I supposed I should have just gone back in the thread and copy-and-pasted so that we didn't have to go through this ridiculous charade.

Thanks for calling me a hypocrite, although I have not done anything at all hypocritical. And you wondered earlier why I might take the discussion with you "personal", huh? Way to keep it all on the up-and-up, WingU. You're a classy dude....

...still waiting on ANYTHING you can provide, whether it is fact, someone else's fiction, or some other third-party anything that allows you to defend cutting down my opinion...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The outlook for UConn and the Big East is ****ty. That's the reality of it.

Just in case you think I'm making it up or "being a hypocrite"...

Reaction Score
Just in case you think I'm making it up or "being a hypocrite"...

Dan, I didn't get personal with you until you accused me of spreading a disease and went on a rant as if I was harassing people by sharing an opinon they were free to disagree with or ignore. Play the victim if you want, but you opened the door with that rant.

FYI- we could get a very good deal financially from NBC. That doesn't mean we have a great outlook. With the BCS autobid gone, and the bowls realigning, the Big East will be on the outside looking in, an NBC deal does nothing for that, and ESPN wouldn't help much either. NBC has a history of poor sports broadcasting. Unless the teams and games improve greatly, the outlook is , and the televsion contracts have nothing to do with that.

Comprehension. Not imagination, don't imagine I'm saying something I haven't said. I didn't say the deal would be . You put those words in my mouth.

Let's say Coach P cut his salary in half. That would be a good financial deal for UConn. The outlook for the team would still be .

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan, I didn't get personal with you until you accused me of spreading a disease and went on a rant as if I was harassing people by sharing an opinon they were free to disagree with or ignore.

FYI- we could get a very good deal financially from NBC. That doesn't mean we have a great outlook. With BCS gone, and the bowls realigning, the Big East will be on the outside looking in, the NBC deal does nothing for that. NBC has a history of poor sports broadcasting. Unless the teams and games improve greatly, the outlook is ****ty, and the televsion contracts have nothing to do with that.

Comprehension. Not imagination, don't imagine I'm saying something I haven't said.

Then don't imagine I'm saying something I haven't, either, okay? I have never said that the outlook for the Big East in the post BCS era is bright. I have never said that the television contract will fix that. I have said (and have said it a million times so far, seemingly) that if the NBC contract is higher than ESPN, I think we should take it because I believe they will do their absolute best to promote our product, whereby ESPN won't. I've also stated that, given an equivalent contract, the Big East should take ESPN (due to the "SportsCenter" bump, among other things). Comprehension.

Reaction Score
...still waiting on ANYTHING you can provide, whether it is fact, someone else's fiction, or some other third-party anything that allows you to defend cutting down my opinion...

the first amendment "allows" me to cut down your opinion the same it allows you to share it. second of all, just because you can point to other people's speculation doesn't mean your opinion is right and mine is wrong. they are both opinions, you've just pointed to other people who share the opinion but who failed to provide any facts in providing their opinion. that doesn't make your opinion more valid, it makes it more popular.

you said earlier learn how to do a google search. take your own advice. there's plenty out there on the bleak future of the big east.

Reaction Score
Then don't imagine I'm saying something I haven't, either, okay? I have never said that the outlook for the Big East in the post BCS era is bright. I have never said that the television contract will fix that.

I never accused you of doing any of that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I fully expect this kitten fight to end with the snapping of bra straps.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I never accused you of doing any of that.

Sure you did. In the very post I responded to! And for the record, my "spreading disease rant" came directly after you accused me of making **** up as I go along.

Look, at this point, let's just drop it. We haven't even been arguing about the same thing since page 3. And we woke up Fishy in the process....and Fishy don't like to be woken up.....Fishy don't like it....

(and yes, everyone, it's a joke, and I'm sure Fishy understands that, and I'm sure he won't spout off on the first amendment....or maybe he will...who gives a **** at this point)

Reaction Score
Sure you did. In the very post I responded to! And for the record, my "spreading disease rant" came directly after you accused me of making **** up as I go along.

Look, at this point, let's just drop it. We haven't even been arguing about the same thing since page 3. And we woke up Fishy in the process....and Fishy don't like to be woken up.....Fishy don't like it....

(and yes, everyone, it's a joke, and I'm sure Fishy understands that, and I'm sure he won't spout off on the first amendment....or maybe he will...who gives a **** at this point)
Well, you were making up, like when you said "let's say we have 2 games on NBC a year". That's made up. I could say "let's say we have 10" or "let's say we have 0". I don't think that's a personal attack, but I apologize anyway.

We can drop it but there is a recurring theme here. I never wrote you said the BE was going to get a cash windfall, or that NBC would be the savior.

I simply said that thinking was wrong, but I never attributed that thinking to you. I never even implied you said it.

If I told you water is wet, you would respond by asking me to show where you said water was dry.

Feel free to have the last word.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well, you were making stuff up, like how many games would be on NBC. I don't think that's a personal attack, but I apologize.

We can drop it but there is a recurring theme here. I never wrote you said the BE was going to get a cash windfall, or that NBC would be the savior.

I simply said that thinking was wrong, but I never attributed that thinking to you. I never even implied you said it.

If I told you water is wet, you would respond by asking me to show where you said water was dry.

Feel free to have the last word.

Thank you for the last word. To finalize your analogy, this fight has been more like:

WingU: FYI, water isn't dry.
UCD: I never said it was dry! Of course it's wet!
WingU: I didn't ever say you said that.
UCD: Then what the heck was the "FYI, water isn't dry" for?
WingU: Reading comprehension, UCD. Reading comprehension. This seems to be a recurring theme with you...

I will at least take solace in the fact that I believe both you and I want UConn to win by 40 tomorrow night....so we've got THAT going for us...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
You do realize that ABC and ESPN provide those games to almost everyone right? That coverage map only shows ABC - it gets mirrored on ESPN and ESPN2.

Yes but the Big East game was on ESPN3 for the rest fo teh country. THe other two cover maps had a Big-12 matchup and a PAc-12 matchup as the 3:30 ABC games with ESPN2 carrying the mirrors for those two blocks with Lousiville on ESPN3. For example"

The other question I won't address. Both ABC and NBC can skim the best games they want and rotate the others to ESPN3 Regionals or SNY as ESPN does now with the Big East.

121020_2_330.jpg

This weekend UConn gets Friday Night on ESPN2 nationally (no mirrors).

At Noon Syracuse and Lousville get the small ABC regional affiliates window while Miami v. Virginia gets the National ABC window. No mirrors. Other games are scheduled on ESPN2 etc. such as Rutgers v Army on ESPNU.

Swap that for NBC Sports (for LU) and SNY at Noon (for Rutgers) if NBC picks up the contract and maybe they do Fridays on NBC Sports or put a UConn game at 3:30.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes but the Big East game was on ESPN3 for the rest fo teh country. THe other two cover maps had a Big-12 matchup and a PAc-12 matchup as the 3:30 ABC games with ESPN2 carrying the mirrors for those two blocks with Lousiville on ESPN3. For example"

The other question I won't address. Both ABC and NBC can skim the best games they want and rotate the others to ESPN3 Regionals or SNY as ESPN does now with the Big East.

121020_2_330.jpg

This weekend UConn gets Friday Night on ESPN2 nationally (no mirrors).

At Noon Syracuse and Lousville get the small ABC regional affiliates window while Miami v. Virginia gets the National ABC window. No mirrors. Other games are scheduled on ESPN2 etc. such as Rutgers v Army on ESPNU.

Swap that for NBC Sports (for LU) and SNY at Noon (for Rutgers) if NBC picks up the contract and maybe they do Fridays on NBC Sports or put a UConn game at 3:30.

Yes the rare 12pm ABC window where they burn games off comes with no mirrors. They are burning off ACC and Big East games because the leagues suck. If they could come up with something worth televising they would.

I have no idea what your point is about UConn but no one in their right mind would choose a 2012 UConn game.

As awful as ESPN is to the Big East two winless conference teams got national distribution last week. Do you really want to compare NBCS ratings to even ESPNU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom