Big East shopping for new TV deal - Game on (or no games on). | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big East shopping for new TV deal - Game on (or no games on).

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Christ, Whaler, it was a joke!!! You are a crotchety old lady, aren't you?

So if you miss my reply as a joke who is the old lady? And I really asked if your wife had the baby.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You watched that? Are the batteries in your remote dead?

I've told you before and I'll tell you again; soccer is my favorite sport. Tomorrow, I will be DVRing UConn vs. ND in the semis of the Big East soccer tourney...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So if you miss my reply as a joke who is the old lady?

It's either because you included 4 questions in your joke or because your "punch line" didn't land...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've told you before and I'll tell you again; soccer is my favorite sport. Tomorrow, I will be DVRing UConn vs. ND in the semis of the Big East soccer tourney...

Baseball used to be my favorite sport - I still would have skipped Pawtucket and Indianapolis on NESN if there were better options.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And I really asked if your wife had the baby.

She's "any day" now. There will be a period (no pun intended) very soon that I will be Boneyard-less for about 3-5 days. I'm sure I'll be missed! ;) Thanks for asking and remembering, though...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Baseball used to be my favorite sport - I still would have skipped Pawtucket and Indianapolis on NESN if there were better options.

Yeah, but would you have skipped the Brewers vs. the Yankees? (I'm treating LA as the Yankees for the purposes of our discussion, since they have all the big named players). Also, what the hell happened to your avatar??

Reaction Score
Tell that to WingU, who believes I'm pulling that out of my for some reason...
I said you pulled the number of times we'd be on NBC out of your ass. You did.

I never said they wouldn't move MLS games, you did. I said you don't know that, and what I meant is why would they have to? Moving it is one thing, the point you're missing is that they'll still broadcast it. And by broadcasting it (since the games take place either in the afternoon at night, just like football) means that's fewer football games they are going to show. The point stands.

WingU and Whaler,

Since there is no amount of links or of talks in the media that you will believe until it actually happens, then just wait for it to happen! Or for it not to happen. Why the hell would you both badger people who comment on what's being talked about and how it might be good for UConn??? Do you not like UConn? Or do you just not like the people that like UConn?

I know it sounds tongue-in-cheek, but I'm being dead serious. This board is full of a bunch of crotchety old ladies, yapping about how life sucks and how anyone who might hope for different is an a. But the fact of the matter is that the two of you have NO MORE INFO than anyone else on the board. So if you want to believe that the deal will suck, or our exposure will suck, or WE will suck, then why do you feel the need to try to share your disease with others? Really...

I'm sorry that life isn't all unicorns and sunshine, that you can't handle your opinion being challenged, and that differing opinios are somehow to be taken as personal assualts. I guess that's your diseas to manage. Maybe one day you'll put big boy pants on and realize that not everyone is going to be concerned about protecting your feelings.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
She's "any day" now. There will be a period (no pun intended) very soon that I will be Boneyard-less for about 3-5 days. I'm sure I'll be missed! ;) Thanks for asking and remembering, though...

If it's your first, the best time is when she's on maternity. It's straight downhill once that ends.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm sorry that life isn't all unicorns and sunshine, that you can't handle your opinion being challenged, and that differing opinios are somehow to be taken as personal assualts.

The second you bring any facts to "challenge" my opinions, I'll consider it an honor. Until then, you're still just portraying life as all dark clouds and skunked beer...

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges?? Then how come you are offering up a game of LA vs. NY in soccer, instead of the one I just watched in the playoffs of LA vs. San Jose? Because it wasn't sexy enough for you? Hmmm.....

I bet LA vs. San Jose gets more play in the California market (which is ginormous) than SMU vs. UConn.

I'm offering up possible matches. It's all speculation. The point is, there are MLS games, that are far more valuable in certain (very large) markets than Big East games.

I'm sorry you don't want to admit that.

I want the best for UConn too, i don't belive NBC is the best we can do. Look at the rest of their inventory and tell me how that's the company we want to keep?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If it's your first, the best time is when she's on maternity. It's straight downhill once that ends.

It's my second, which somehow has me more nervous. Just the "logistics" of it all; I need to look after one while she is in the hospital looking after the other, and then constantly making the trip back and forth until we're all home. Plus, I have to buy more Husky gear...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, but would you have skipped the Brewers vs. the Yankees? (I'm treating LA as the Yankees for the purposes of our discussion, since they have all the big named players). Also, what the hell happened to your avatar??

I don't know my phone just went berserk and threw up like 15 straight error messages. Guess I need to find a swimsuit model.

Yes when I was a huge baseball fan I'd take a Yankee Brewer playoff game over Arkansas State and Funroe. I'm not really sold that MLS is equivalent to the American League. Milwaukee will always be in my AL - Houston in the AL is an abomination.

Reaction Score
The second you bring any facts to "challenge" my opinions, I'll consider it an honor. Until then, you're still just portraying life as all dark clouds and skunked beer...

The outlook for UConn and the Big East is . That's the reality of it.

If there were something positive to take from our current situation I would gladly discuss it.

Your facts are "One idea, may be". That's not a fact. That's speculation from a reporter that you decided to prop up as a strong possibility through the tone of your posts and your obvious opinion on the matter.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I bet LA vs. San Jose gets more play in the California market (which is ginormous) than SMU vs. UConn.

I'm offering up possible matches. It's all speculation. The point is, there are MLS games, that are far more valuable in certain (very large) markets than Big East games.

I'm sorry you don't want to admit that.

I want the best for UConn too, i don't belive NBC is the best we can do. Look at the rest of their inventory and tell me how that's the company we want to keep?

I'll admit it when you "show it". Give me ratings of the LA vs. San Jose PLAYOFF game, and then put it against the rating of, let's say, a regular season game between Louisville and Cincy. Those two teams are dog**** anyways, so it shouldn't be a problem, right?

And don't give me a California market and then compare it with SMU-UConn and call it a fact, okay? Give me an SDSU game against someone of meaning, since the Galaxy game was a playoff game, and then we'll compare notes....all bull$#it and no facts...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's my second, which somehow has me more nervous. Just the "logistics" of it all; I need to look after one while she is in the hospital looking after the other, and then constantly making the trip back and forth until we're all home. Plus, I have to buy more Husky gear...

Yeah that's not multiplicative it is exponential. The first is great - oh you are both sleeping? I'll be at the golf course if anyone needs me.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Your facts are "One idea, may be". That's not a fact. That's speculation from a reporter that you decided to prop up as a strong possibility through the tone of your posts and your obvious opinion on the matter.

The link was showing you the fact that the opinion was not based on my speculation alone (which if you read my post, you would have read that part also). And again, there are plenty of other people in the media who floated that idea, it wasn't just the NY paper, okay? If you don't believe me, learn how to use a Google search.

But in contrast, what have you provided me? A lot of "the Big East is $#itty, that's the reality of it." Thanks for such informative insight...

Reaction Score
I'll admit it when you "show it". Give me ratings of the LA vs. San Jose PLAYOFF game, and then put it against the rating of, let's say, a regular season game between Louisville and Cincy. Those two teams are dog**** anyways, so it shouldn't be a problem, right?

And don't give me a California market and then compare it with SMU-UConn and call it a fact, okay? Give me an SDSU game against someone of meaning, since the Galaxy game was a playoff game, and then we'll compare notes....all bull$#it and no facts...

Like I said about 10 posts ago....we'll know what they do when the ratings come out. I'm not the one who has said what they will and won't do. I said numerous times that we don't know and won't. You're the one making definitive statements. I said it's all speculation, it depends on what their options are. You pretend as if NBC will move MLS games for football, my point is they may not have to. They can show both by choosing to show Big East teams and MLS games. They will probably not show as many football games as you think. Like you know, noon to midnight.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

None of it can be compared without context. A few million will watch Pitt and UConn tomorrow because nothing else is on. No one would watch on Saturday outside of Pitt and UConn fans and gamblers if it's close.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Like I said about 10 posts ago....we'll know what they do when the ratings come out. I'm not the one who has said what they will and won't do. I said numerous times that we don't know and won't. You're the one making definitive statements. I said it's all speculation, it depends on what their options are. You pretend as if NBC will move MLS games for football, my point is they may not have to. They can show both by choosing to show Big East teams and MLS games. They will probably not show as many football games as you think. Like you know, noon to midnight.

I don't believe that they will show games from noon to midnight either. I have always said that they would likely bracket the ND game. That makes sense to do. That's what Mike Aresco has alluded to in the past. That's why I believe it is a strong possibility. We could also be with ESPN in a month or a combo of ESPN/FOX, which has also been speculated by many, and then this conversation is meaningless, right?

But here I am watching posters like you come down on how $#itty we are and how $#itty the deal is going to be, and where is your info to back it up? Where is your speculation from the outside world? Jesus, at least throw me a classic Bret McMurphy quote so that I at least know that you are trying!!!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
None of it can be compared without context. A few million will watch Pitt and UConn tomorrow because nothing else is on. No one would watch on Saturday outside of Pitt and UConn fans and gamblers if it's close.

That's very true, and I agree with that. My point is that if it is a Saturday primetime game, it wouldn't be the UConn-Pitt game this year. This week it might be the Louisville Syracuse game. I'm guessing that a top 10 BCS team gets more play at noon than an MLS playoff game that isn't the championship game.

Reaction Score
The link was showing you the fact that the opinion was not based on my speculation alone (which if you read my post, you would have read that part also). And again, there are plenty of other people in the media who floated that idea, it wasn't just the NY paper, okay? If you don't believe me, learn how to use a Google search.

But in contrast, what have you provided me? A lot of "the Big East is $#itty, that's the reality of it." Thanks for such informative insight...
Reading comprehension Dan.

I said the speculation was from the reporter. Not you. And I read your post, and the article. The reporter cited unnamed sources. That's concrete info right there. Unnamed sources think one idea may be. And other outlets picked up on that and also reported potential possibilities? Wow. The big east is on to something. I'm allowed to be skeptical whether you like it or not. If you don't like it, don't engage in the conversation. I couldn't care less whether you agree or not, and admire your optomism, I just think it's foundation is flimsy.

I provided insight on the coverage map and why it was evidence big east games wouldn't be broadcast on NBC as often as people think. You chose to respond to that post without attempting to dispute that insight and instead choosing to pull the number of times UConn could be on NBC yearly out of your ass and concluding that's a better scenario than what we have now. Have a nice night.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's very true, and I agree with that. My point is that if it is a Saturday primetime game, it wouldn't be the UConn-Pitt game this year. This week it might be the Louisville Syracuse game. I'm guessing that a top 10 BCS team gets more play at noon than an MLS playoff game that isn't the championship game.

This Saturday at noon on NBCS what gets a higher rating - random MLS playoff game or Louisville/Syracuse?

If Louisville wasn't undefeated I'd probably take MLS.

Reaction Score
I don't believe that they will show games from noon to midnight either. I have always said that they would likely bracket the ND game. That makes sense to do. That's what Mike Aresco has alluded to in the past. That's why I believe it is a strong possibility. We could also be with ESPN in a month or a combo of ESPN/FOX, which has also been speculated by many, and then this conversation is meaningless, right?

But here I am watching posters like you come down on how $#itty we are and how $#itty the deal is going to be, and where is your info to back it up? Where is your speculation from the outside world? Jesus, at least throw me a classic Bret McMurphy quote so that I at least know that you are trying!!!

Show me where I said the deal was going to be . Please provide a quote.

I know we are because I watch the games. If you can't see that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Reading comprehension Dan.

I said the speculation was from the reporter. Not you.

So you didn't say "You're the one making definitive statements. I said it's all speculation..."??? Okay, it's MY reading comprehension that needs work, huh?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think there is anyway NBC brackets ND with two games. No way do they put the NNBE on in primetime. Ratings death. There isn't a single matchup in the league this year they could put in that slot. Maybe Rutgers Louisville if Kent State wasn't so good. Louisville Boise if Boise would stop losing maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom