Big East is wild | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East is wild

Reaction Score
By KenPom conference ratings, this season is the best the Big East has been since OBE 2011. It's a little overshadowed since they don't have an elite team and the Big 10 has been even stronger (and B12 has been solidly deep as per usual). But it's a bloodbath over there.

According to the metric, you'd have to be a top 40 KenPom team, essentially an NCAA at large team, to even go .500 in the league.
The Big Ten is likely to get more bids, but the Big East has the highest average NET of any conference by almost ten points. BE is around 37 and the Big Ten is in the mid-40's.

With regard to your second point, Xavier is KP #42 right now, #40 in the NET, 7th in the BE at 6-7, and a projected 9th seed, so Ken is spot on as per usual

Reaction Score
Aside from UConn's amazing championship run as a No. 7 seed in the conference's first season in 2014, the results just haven't been there for the American. Only three of the 19 teams to make the NCAAs have advanced to the second weekend, two of which came in that first season.

"Conference teams have generally received middling seeds, as there has been one No. 2 seed, one No. 3 and a pair of No. 4s in the American's six-year history. Similar to the A-10, a good number of AAC teams (37% to be exact) have received 7, 8 or 9 seeds, so the path hasn't been ideal to start with. It didn't stop UConn in 2014, but this is a league that has yet to receive more than four bids. That's not likely to change this year either, and no team will face the expectation to win more than one game entering the tournament."

Reaction Score
They've "carried" the league to what exactly? What have they won "carrying" the league? 3+/- bids/year and zero final fours?

It doesn't even matter if you aren't excited about the new big east. the fact is it's a much better and deeper conference. It gives us the opportunity for better wins, better games at home, and better recruiting.
exactly. two most prominent programs go in the tank at the same time. With Uconn, Memphis and WSU, back to normality, the league at worst is a 3 bid league. likely 4-5 and 6 in some good years. its just a fact based on history.

i'm not downplaying the fact that the Big East is statistically a better league. What I'm not going to say is that I'm excited for playing Butler, Creighton, St Johns, or DePual. yes I'm aware Seton Hall and several others have stepped up of late. But my excitement in playing them is because of that little number, not the school. Playing Syr, BC, or Pitt is more about the school, the history, the tradition, and bottom line, BB rivalry.
Even in the heyday, Uconn/Seton Hall or Uconn St Johns? meh? Beating a winless BC or SYR? You bet. Add to their misery.

If folks want to spin comments to fulfill their argument or narrative that that the Big East is the right move. OK. That wasn't my intent. I'm more excited that Hurley has the program back on track. If that means we're dominating the Big East, awesome! I'd be just as happy dominating the AAC.

Reaction Score
exactly. two most prominent programs go in the tank at the same time. With Uconn, Memphis and WSU, back to normality, the league at worst is a 3 bid league. likely 4-5 and 6 in some good years. its just a fact based on history.

i'm not downplaying the fact that the Big East is statistically a better league. What I'm not going to say is that I'm excited for playing Butler, Creighton, St Johns, or DePual. yes I'm aware Seton Hall and several others have stepped up of late. But my excitement in playing them is because of that little number, not the school. Playing Syr, BC, or Pitt is more about the school, the history, the tradition, and bottom line, BB rivalry.
Even in the heyday, Uconn/Seton Hall or Uconn St Johns? meh? Beating a winless BC or SYR? You bet. Add to their misery.

If folks want to spin comments to fulfill their argument or narrative that that the Big East is the right move. OK. That wasn't my intent. I'm more excited that Hurley has the program back on track. If that means we're dominating the Big East, awesome! I'd be just as happy dominating the AAC.
How on earth is playing BC greater than playing St. Johns and Seton Hall?

I get being disappointed about not playing the school, history, and tradition of Syracuse but BC, really??? Give me a break.

pj

Reaction Score
It's a clear improvement going to the NBE:
- Basketball is better and has nearby rivalries.
- Football is better off, they're now scheduling P5s (Ole Miss, Syracuse, Purdue, Clemson, Michigan, NC State, BC, Duke, Tennessee, Maryland, North Carolina are all on the schedule) plus northeastern programs like Army and UMass.

Plus, football now is under UConn's control and can be sold to SNY to get a true market read on UConn's football fan base and market value. The AAC was taking all UConn's rights and burying them, so there was no way for a P5 conference to get a read on UConn's value.

So as far as positioning us for a P5 move, we are much, much better placed now than a year ago.

I see no downsides to the move.

Reaction Score

Piled up the likes with this one

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Not if they continuously refuse to invite us to a P5 conference.

You can't say you are peers with Google employees when you don't work at Google.

Your resumes might be similar. You might be qualified. But if you aren't a Google employee, they are not your peers. You're stuck with Dell (AAC) or Microsoft (NBE).
Or worse Lenox

Reaction Score
This thread shows you really can’t argue with irrational people, guy says we shouldn’t be going to the big East because we should be going to the big ten......did I miss the big ten invite? Did we turn them down John?

Reaction Score
We shouldn’t waste brain power on stupid posters like @John

Posters like them have already lost; UConn already made the right decision.

Let them wallow in their own, lonely, misery.

Reaction Score
Part of what was great about the OBE is was that people cared about college basketball. Go watch a game and compare the NBE with the AAC. It is not even close. The Big East school's fan bases care. Games will be exciting, night in and night out. That is what we want again to be in a relevant league that we can then dominate in time. Look at last years attendance

* Big East had 18 less games and average almost 400,000 more fans then AAC
* The Big East had one less session in their tournament and doubled up on attendance 98,782 vs. 45,500 for the AAC (avg 18,969 vs 7,588)

Plus all the OBE teams that left suck now outside of Louisville and we know there are many reasons for that. Forget the AAC. It went badly for us for so many reasons. It was never going to be a good fit and those holding out hope for the ACC or B1G you are going to be waiting for a call that is never coming.

Creighton with 18,148 to see the Jays wax Butler today. Only good for, checks notes, 20th largest crowd in arena history. More of a footnote crowd today I guess.

ERf2_n1XYAIutOH

We may be little ole Creighton and not really in the east and viewed as a mid-major from the Mo Valley days, but we will be a hell of a lot more fun than the mausoleums you have been playing in the AAC. I promise.

Reaction Score
Playing Syr, BC, or Pitt is more about the school, the history, the tradition, and bottom line, BB rivalry.
Please don't cosign my post with an "exactly" and then imply that UConn should pick the ACC over the Big East as if that's an option. I'm not making that idiotic argument because the choice doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This thread shows you really can’t argue with irrational people, guy says we shouldn’t be going to the big East because we should be going to the big ten......did I miss the big ten invite? Did we turn them down John?
The trajectory should be towards the ACC or B10, do you agree with that? Does joining the BE put us on that trajectory? We should not consider the BE a permanent stopping place.

Reaction Score
The trajectory should be towards the ACC or B10, do you agree with that? Does joining the BE put us on that trajectory? We should not consider the BE a permanent stopping place.

Football independence + BE basketball > than staying in the AAC, if you ultimately want a P5 invite.

The entire athletic department would have faded into complete irrelevancy if it had staying in the AAC.

I would caution, though, that a power conference invite is extremely unlikely.

Reaction Score
Creighton with 18,148 to see the Jays wax Butler today. Only good for, checks notes, 20th largest crowd in arena history. More of a footnote crowd today I guess.

ERf2_n1XYAIutOH

We may be little ole Creighton and not really in the east and viewed as a mid-major from the Mo Valley days, but we will be a hell of a lot more fun than the mausoleums you have been playing in the AAC. I promise.
Doesn’t Creighton return all of their players next season too? They’re going to be a force for the rest of this season and one of the top teams in the nation next season. They’re so skilled and shoot the hell outta the ball, fun to watch.

Reaction Score

ERf2_n1XYAIutOH

You guys have a serious squad this year and will have a serious squad next year. You have a great fanbase and we're looking forward to playing you starting next year, good luck in the NCAA's.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
yes, let's aspire to be Seton Hall or "Creighton". Aim low fellas.
1582559806911.png

Heck right now I'll aspire to be Butler. Kind of tough to look down on noses at ranked teams when an auto bid is our only hope at going to the dance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 51166
Heck right now I'll aspire to be Butler. Kind of tough to look down on noses at ranked teams when an auto bid is our our only hope at going to the dance.
yes, of course - but this is a basketball-centric view unfortunately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom