Big East is wild | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big East is wild

Reaction Score
It’s true for the entirety of the Athletic department.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
yes, let's aspire to be Seton Hall or "Creighton". Aim low fellas.
UConn’s about to miss out on the tournament for the 4th straight year while Creighton is 9 in net rankings and returning all of their players next season. But sure, let’s aspire to be better than a top 10 team. Really?

Reaction Score
UConn’s about to miss out on the tournament for the 4th straight year while Creighton is 9 in net rankings and returning all of their players next season. But sure, let’s aspire to be better than a top 10 team. Really?
you don't feel a certain level of institutional superiority towards Creighton?

Reaction Score

How does this relate to staying in the AAC with a bunch of direction commuter schools and assorted city community colleges?

Your (insane) argument is the Big East vs the ACC/Big 10. That is not based on any sort of reality or rational thought.

Reaction Score
You're still going on about this?

You don't feel institutional superiority to the commuter colleges we've been stuck with the last 6 years?

The move is about athletics. Our basketball program is what makes us and it's been floundering in a weak Conference-USA clone that nobody cares about and is a geographical nightmare for us. Our basketball will be a million times better off where it's always been in the Big East and our football program will be better off financially playing better teams which will attract more eyeballs. There is no good argument for staying in the AAC.

If you think the AAC is some launching pad to the Big 10 you're living in fantasy land, staying here would have gutted us.

Reaction Score
We're making more money.
We're saving more money.
We're broadening our overall exposure by a lot.
We're leaving a conference that we're poor fit for in exchange for our cultural home.

Anyone making the argument that we should be clinging to life in the AAC on the .00000002% chance we get a P5 invite in the next two years before we're entirely flushed down the drain is delusional. We got football to a point. We had a window. We missed it. Can't flush your flagship basketball programs down the drain for the sake of trying to pry open said missed football window with a pool noodle.

Reaction Score

I'm kind of at a loss with your arguments... You feel this way towards the Big East schools, but not about the CUSA schools we currently find ourselves associated with? Your argument is that this is beyond basketball. I get that. Are you aware that we have 5 P5 teams on our football schedule for next year? How in the world is staying in the AAC better? It doesn't make sense. Our administration basically found a cheat code to not getting invited to a P5 conference. We are just making ourselves a Power team instead.

In a hypothetical world where our football team starts winning again, do you think The B1G or ACC would rather invite a UConn that is winning in the AAC, or routinely beating up on 5 P5 teams a year? It's a no brainer.

Reaction Score
I’ll be glad to play them twice a year, they’re a good basketball program. We’re a basketball school, through and through. We were never getting a P5 invite, that ship sailed after we didn’t get into the ACC. There was no point to stay in the AAC to try and “save football” a program that’s in disarray. There’s no saving it in the AAC, what was the point in staying? We weren’t getting a P5 invite. Rather just say screw it and allow the football team to go independent and play buy games. At least they won’t continue bleeding money like they were.

the move was all about basketball. The school realized their P5 dreams were basically dead and could get back to being in a conference they belong in. So yes, I’m happy to play Creighton whose about to be a top 5 team next year and play them ongoing. I’m a college basketball fan, this is a good move. I’m beyond excited to watch them play against their old rivals and seeing the tourney back in MSG. If you don’t want that and instead wanna play at Dickies Arena, enjoy.

Reaction Score
Sp
The trajectory should be towards the ACC or B10, do you agree with that? Does joining the BE put us on that trajectory? We should not consider the BE a permanent stopping place.
Speaking of trajectory has the needle been pointing up for UConn since being in the American? My answer would be an emphatic no. So by your logic if this move gives us back some luster and success it only improves the chances for your aspirations to come to fruition, however small those chances may be.

Reaction Score
We should definitely stay in the AAC

Capture4.PNG

Reaction Score
Sp

Speaking of trajectory has the needle been pointing up for UConn since being in the American? My answer would be an emphatic no. So by your logic if this move gives us back some luster and success it only improves the chances for your aspirations to come to fruition, however small those chances may be.
I agree. However, is the lack of trajectory the conference or our inability to compete in it? (or combination)

Reaction Score
We should definitely stay in the AAC

View attachment 51171
And all you have to do is see the name of the arena they're playing the conference tournament in and know UConn doesn't belong in this conference. What, the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association wasn't interested in the naming rights?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I am really looking forward to our return to this conference. Yeah I know it’s not the old big east, but it is a basketball first league full of good teams that are not in most cases all that far from each other.
You really missed out on opportunity to write that they're all somewhat equally far away from you.

Reaction Score
creighton is a very good school. one of the best in the midwest. they have excellent soccer, volleyball, baseball (their volleyball and baseball teams have won the big east almost every year), and basketball teams and tremendous fan support for all their programs. there's really nothing to look down your nose at other than the size of their enrollment if that really matters to you.

Reaction Score
The trajectory should be towards the ACC or B10, do you agree with that? Does joining the BE put us on that trajectory? We should not consider the BE a permanent stopping place.

Unfortunately the BE thinks differently. Isn’t there a $10 million penalty for leaving. It may not be called a penalty but that’s what I call it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom