Big East flexes its muscles (merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East flexes its muscles (merged thread)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In case the coach deletes the tweet this is what she said.

Katrina Merriweather:
We will control what we can & get better. We had plenty of opportunities. I will always stand up for my young women. I will not EVER accept blatant bias & disrespect from anyone. Neither will my SQUAD. We are perfectly okay with people not knowing our side of the story.
"We are perfectly okay with people not knowing our side of the story"???

Hmmm ... uh ... okay ...

1669433232536.gif

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
This is the current record of the P5 and the Big East against the AP Top 25.

************Wins*************Loss

ACC----------2-----------------5

Big 12--------1-----------------6

Big East------7-----------------2

Big 10--------3-----------------7

PAC 12-------2-----------------5

SEC-----------2-----------------8

The Big East is the only Conference that has a winning record, The Big East appears to be doing pretty good against Top 25 opponents this year.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Any idea what happened very late in St. Johns game vs Memphis?
From what i read there was an argument on the court with 5.5 seconds left. Memphis walked off court and game over, SJ wins 61-57, Not sure if it was player vs player, player vs ref, coach vs ref, coach vs coach. Here is tweet from Memphis coach.

You can be sure we have not heard the last of this matter. Anytime you take your team off the field or court before the contest is officially over, you’ve got some explaining to do starting with your AD. Often times, coaches are given game suspensions of various lengths for this type of behavior.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Here is the video from the end of the Memphis v SJ game. Looks like maybe a hard intentional foul, then smack talk by SJ players and Memphis players.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, so Memphis commits a hard foul, the women who commits the foul then starts and continues to yap at the SJU player and then the teams come together where two different SJU and MU players yap at each other. To me, the first SJU player who was fouled showed great restraint from the MU player. Congrats to SJU for the win.

Now back to the regularly scheduled Thread-Today at 5 PM, Villanova and Maddie Siegrist take on Baylor in Florida. This would be a great win for VU and the BE! Come on Denise!

Plebe

Reaction Score
Here is the video from the end of the Memphis v SJ game. Looks like maybe a hard intentional foul, then smack talk by SJ players and Memphis players.

I watched the second half on replay last night.

The Memphis head coach got a technical foul in the 3rd quarter, and then someone else on her bench (I believe an assistant coach) was also given a technical early in the 4th quarter. So there was already a tone of disgruntlement that permeated the body language of the players.

Down 4 with about 5 seconds left, the Memphis player committed a hard foul to stop the clock. This led to a sort of "standoff" with the potential to erupt into a fight. The referees tried hard to contain the situation and separate the players. The St. Johns coach, who was closer to the play, helped to contain things by vocally addressing his players and calling them over to his bench.

The Memphis coach, by contrast, approached midcourt and said something that was evidently not in the spirit of acting as peacemaker. She was promptly ejected by the referee. Within about 10 seconds the entire Memphis team (staff and players) exited the court along with the ejected head coach. Sort of a self-ejection, as it were.

I can see why she doesn't want to share her "side of the story" because the entire spectacle makes her look like an immature crybaby. To be sure, I saw some questionable calls for both teams, but nothing so egregious or one-sided that it warranted what she did. Throwing gasoline on the fire when the officials were trying to defuse a potential altercation was inexcusable.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just looking at the box score, both teams shot 29 FT and the fouls were SJ 21 Mem 26 with at the 26th foul an intentional (and while it was a solid contact it was just a bump. nothing dirty in it.) It was a tight game all the way with Memphis clawing back to take a short lived lead in the 4th Q. SJ had a maximum lead of 8, Mem of 3.

It looked like a nothing sort of incident that got blown out of proportion instead of being diffused. Course you never know what the words spoken were. Sort of reminded me of Rutgers Uconn kerfuffle from years ago.

Reaction Score
I've noticed teams trying to foul at the end of games -- and it's just a tactic, tedious perhaps, but nothing malicious in it. Still, I think there's a problem here. I noticed it in the Maryland-DePaul game yesterday, too. In the closing seconds, Sellars fouled the DePaul ball handler a bit harder perhaps than she meant to, but that was because she was in a hurry and the DePaul player was elusive.

If the player with the ball is artful and quick, they can make it hard to foul them without simply grabbing them. At any other point in the game, if someone simply grabbed Nika or Azzi as they were driving past, the refs wouldn't treat that as an ordinary foul. Some sort of 'upgrade' would be applied. The same rules should still apply at the end of close games. If one of your players is simply good at eluding the designated foulers, your team should be rewarded for it -- when they're grabbed, the refs should whistle it, give the free throws, and then give the ball back to the same team. If a team can't foul effectively -- that is, within the usual rules -- they shouldn't get a free pass for it, even if the practice of fouling to rescue a game has become practically pro forma.

Jim Valvano invented this tactic years ago, and it wasn't his best legacy, even though it got NC St to a national championship.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ok, so Memphis commits a hard foul, the women who commits the foul then starts and continues to yap at the SJU player and then the teams come together where two different SJU and MU players yap at each other. To me, the first SJU player who was fouled showed great restraint from the MU player. Congrats to SJU for the win.
It wasn’t that hard of a foul. At the end of a game when teams try to stop the clock, the fouls are all intentional and sometimes look like hard ones because the player with the ball is just standing there waiting to be fouled.

The Memphis coaches were dumb. They got pitched for going on to the court and barking at the refs. What did they expect would happen? Kudos to Coach Tartamella for keeping his staff on the sideline and calling his players away from the Memphis kids

Reaction Score
I happen to be watching the Villanova vs Baylor game today and can't believe the one sided calls I am seeing. This game with 2 minutes left in the 3rd is 55-54 Baylor in spite of every one of Villanova's players that had played in the first half had at least 2 fouls called on them! Hard to win with your star shooting 3-13 and unbalanced calls. Calls much better in second half so far.

I also watched the SH vs Georgia game earlier which SH won by 7 and held the ball for the last few seconds of the game without any guarding from Georgia. If the announcers were right that was not a good idea. Both sides wound up 2-1 for the tournament but Georgia should have been declared the winner by ONE total point!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Near the end of the Villanova vs Baylor game the officials proved they are terrible and possibly biased. With about 3:25 left of a very close game a Villanova player made a basket that appeared to be a 3 but was called a 2. They went to the monitor. The TV coverage showed 3 different views of the shot - 2 were very hard to tell but the 3rd was clearly a 3 bu several inches. They did not change the call as the videos was not clear! The middle one shown saw as clearly a 3 as is possible to see and was even zoomed in to be sure. I've rarely seen anything worse. BTW I really have no skin in this except I hate seeing a Big East team screwed. As it turns out Villanova lost 74-70 so overall it was irrelevant but still bad.

Reaction Score
I happen to be watching the Villanova vs Baylor game today and can't believe the one sided calls I am seeing. This game with 2 minutes left in the 3rd is 55-54 Baylor in spite of every one of Villanova's players that had played in the first half had at least 2 fouls called on them! Hard to win with your star shooting 3-13 and unbalanced calls. Calls much better in second half so far.

I also watched the SH vs Georgia game earlier which SH won by 7 and held the ball for the last few seconds of the game without any guarding from Georgia. If the announcers were right that was not a good idea. Both sides wound up 2-1 for the tournament but Georgia should have been declared the winner by ONE total point!
Georgia left without shaking hands. Just a few coaches stayed.

Reaction Score
All I saw was two teams with no self control and no respect for their schools or coaching staffs. Too bad.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Nova lost because they couldn't contain the drive on defense and they missed critical shots down the stretch. They did not lose because of the officiating. It's not unusual to see a disparity in foul totals between a jump-shooting team and a dribble-drive team.

I did think the 3-pointer earlier in 4Q should have been awarded on review. But that doesn't explain why Nova shot 0 for 6 in the last minute of the game. Nor does it explain why they committed two needless non-shooting fouls with the game tied, which put Baylor in the bonus and handed Bickle the go-ahead free throws.

Nova lost because they didn't play quite well enough when it mattered. It certainly wasn't decided by the officiating. In a way, it's encouraging they were still almost able to win with Siegrist shooting cold and so many players in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
shot1.jpg

I agree that Villanova played poorly at the end and deserved to lose. My complaint was that there is no way a review could have possibly not given a 3 on this shot. (TV screen capture taken just before she left the floor).

Reaction Score
And, how bout a shout out to the Butler Bulldogs who are 4-2. Sure, they played Sister Mary’s school for Wayward Girls but they beat them.

Reaction Score
I still can't get over the fact that Seton Hall beat Georgia. That is totally awesome!!! Park-Lane and Sydney Cooks dominated.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Memphis coaches were dumb. They got pitched for going on to the court and barking at the refs.
Then they doubled down talking about how they were disrespected, but they didn’t care if anyone didn’t know their story. Really bad luck for Memphis and especially for their head coach. In watching the video it seems like pretty much every escalation was from Memphis.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I still can't get over the fact that Seton Hall beat Georgia. That is totally awesome!!! Park-Lane and Sydney Cooks dominated.
Amazing game for SH after having some tough losses early

I did not see the game but I am guessing the GA game plan was something like

Give a forehand shiver to any player driving into the lane.

Problem was Lane was too small to see. ;)

Reaction Score
I know it's still early in season but so far the Big East has been doing an unbelievable job against P5 conferences. Took a peek at WarrenNolan.com at their RPI Conference rankings and as of this morning, the Big East sitting at the #2 spot. I realize a loss here and there will change these rankings but I'm encouraged so far. Last I checked WarrenNolan the Big East has been ranked #5 with SEC #6.

Note: don't look at very last conference on this image. ;)

1669549033400.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow. American dead last. But RPI leader makes no sense??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom