Big East Comings and Goings | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Big East Comings and Goings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No thanks on the National Championship with these prices.

Creighton replaces Hawkins/O'Connell (144 3PM) with Scheierman/Farabello (121/3PM). Scheierman shot at a higher clip against bad competition. Farabello played against great competition @ TCU. I think TCU will miss Farabello if they don't land Adam Miler. In my opinion a healthy Adam Miller is better than both Farabello and Scheierman. Questionable if that will be the case though with Miller coming off ACL.

Scheierman shot 8-26 against Power 5 teams last year ( I think). Closer to 30% with a big donut 0-7 vs Alabama. Agents do what agents do. These stats no one mentions. Just drink the Kool-aide. Scheierman is a poor defender so what he does to improve Creighton's offensive efficiency (112 KP) last year he will give some of it right back on the defensive end. He is not ranked in the top 60 right now of the players who put their names in the draft. If not mistaken he is 71 which probably would not equal a combine invite. Right?

Kaluma was a poor shooter last year but clearly has the potential to break out and win BE Player of the year. So much raw talent. It will be interesting to see how Baylor and Kaluma co-exist. I really think Creighton is a year away if they return everyone in 2023-24 from being considered the title favorite. I think Arthur will be long gone though. He is ready to break out.

Rumor has it BS agent really wanted Kentucky. Kentucky didn't think he was worth it.

Scheierman is good but maybe pump the brakes? People act like he is going to be a 50/40/90 player at Creighton. Looks like more of a 46/37/83 player. Creighton lost 2 key players.

I am thinking a #3 seed/Sweet 16 and than getting bounced before the Regional Final. Depending on OOC schedule they could still see an AP #1 ranking at some point.

What are your thoughts?
Minaya got physical with him when PC played them in the tournament.

Reaction Score
exactly this. KenPom hated us for our close wins against cupcakes. the team did not find its groove and identity until the BYU win.

Reaction Score
exactly this. KenPom hated us for our close wins against cupcakes. the team did not find its groove and identity until the BYU win.
Well KenPom also hated the home loss to Xavier by 10, only beating Butler by 2 at home and losing on the road by 17, the away loss to Seton Hall by 19, the away loss to Nova by 31, and the away loss to Providence by 20. The latter is at least understandable with the Nembhard injury the game before.

But the road loss margins in BE play mattered also.

Reaction Score
creighton is going to be spoooooky. think most of us saw kaluma taking the leap towards the end of the year. they have some depth now and a lot of versatility. this team is built to compete

nembhard, alexander, scheierman, kaluma, kalkbrenner is great starting 5, and they'll have the tcu transfer and mike miller's kid coming off the bench with a couple other backcourt options with experience as well. to me they are the clear big east preseason number 1....not sure you hang a banner for that but there better be some buzz in omaha at the very least. should be very fun if all goes according to plan

but also this will be the year uconn beats em

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
creighton is going to be spoooooky. think most of us saw kaluma taking the leap towards the end of the year. they have some depth now and a lot of versatility. this team is built to compete

nembhard, alexander, scheierman, kaluma, kalkbrenner is great starting 5, and they'll have the tcu transfer and mike miller's kid coming off the bench with a couple other backcourt options with experience as well. to me they are the clear big east preseason number 1....not sure you hang a banner for that but there better be some buzz in omaha at the very least. should be very fun if all goes according to plan

but also this will be the year uconn beats em
So Spliff, seems you can write in a manner we can understand.

Reaction Score
So Spliff, seems you can write in a manner we can understand.
That post is way too easy to understand to be a Spliffy post. :) Just the lack of capital letters and periods is similar. And the use of "spoooooky" is kind of Spliffyish.

Reaction Score
You say you can see them being ranked #1 but 40/50-1 isn't a fair price??
I think they will be pre season top 3 or 4 in the AP poll with the hype. So it could happen early in the year. With BS they are not 50/1 anymore. 28/1-40/1 more the norm. Unless I missed it.

Basically Creighton maintained status quo after adding BS from a personnel perspective plus a healthy Nembhard who didn't shoot the ball well last year and turned the ball over excessively. RJ's #'s were much better than Nembhard.

The Final Four is in Houston. I think a healthy Houston is the team to beat especially if they add Lofton. That is another reason I wouldn't over extend on a 40/1 future with Creighton especially if you want a larger payout (20k-30k +) with a cash out option. I am not picking Houston either. I just think they are the team to beat right now with the FF in Houston. I think there are teams as good as Creighton on a neutral floor with better value.

Creighton is really really good though IMO. If UConn can add another piece or two I look forward to beating them in CT. Creighton now is the hunted. They are still very young.

Reaction Score
Scheierman vs PC in the NCAAT: 18 points, 3 assists, 10 boards, 3/8 from 3. He shot 46% (!) from 3, I don't care if that's against glorified HS teams, if he is open he will make a 3 more than not -- and he will be open on a relatively stacked Creighton team. Not only that, he played the 1, 3 and 4 for SDSU -- versatility is such a weapon in itself. Him being able to spell Nembhard will be an underrated aspect of his game...

You're crazy if you don't think Creighton isn't the Big East pre-season favorite and a pre-season top 10 team.
I never said that. They are Big East favorites and a Top 20 KP team at years end. Isn't that 3-8 part of his 8-26 against Power Five? Sheierman is a minus defender coming from a school that played no defense. SDSU was putrid defensively but still had better shooters all around him than he will have at Creighton. As a matter of fact all those guys are returning to SDSU.

Of course he is good. The missing piece to a National Championship good? Not this year IMO. If they added Mosley that is a different story IMO.

Reaction Score
You're cheering picking stats here. Scheirman had 10pts, 18rebs, and 6assists against Alabama. Impressive that he was able to have that line without hitting threes.
Hawkins did put up 23 & 11 against UConn last year. Scored 23 of the 59 points on the road (I think) with 11 boards. Alabama was poor defensively last year (92nd). 18 rebounds is impressive against Bama but Hawkins was the better rebounder during the course of the season. No doubt BS (play 1-3) is more versatile than Hawkins but we are talking about the missing piece to a National Championship here.

If they add another big to go with Kalk yeah that could be that final piece for a title this year. Is it Miller @ 6'9/187 with no experience?

Reaction Score
Hawkins did put up 23 & 11 against UConn last year. Scored 23 of the 59 points on the road (I think) with 11 boards. Alabama was poor defensively last year (92nd). 18 rebounds is impressive against Bama but Hawkins was the better rebounder during the course of the season. No doubt BS (play 1-3) is more versatile than Hawkins but we are talking about the missing piece to a National Championship here.

If they add another big to go with Kalk yeah that could be that final piece for a title this year. Is it Miller @ 6'9/187 with no experience?
Fredrick King should help their frontline but their starting 5 is all set with Nembhard, Alexander, Scheierman, Kaluma, and Kalbrenner and that should be as good as any other starting 5.

Reaction Score
Fredrick King should help their frontline but their starting 5 is all set with Nembhard, Alexander, Scheierman, Kaluma, and Kalbrenner and that should be as good as any other starting 5.
He could be a key piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak