Big East Awards Announced - Sanogo and Hawkins All Big East First Team (Merged Threads) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big East Awards Announced - Sanogo and Hawkins All Big East First Team (Merged Threads)

Reaction Score
Teams get to the rim a lot less when Kalkbrenner is in the game. 36% of shots at rim with him in vs. 45% when he's out. Which leads to teams taking a lot more midrange 2s when he's in (34%) vs. out (25%). One of the big reasons their defense is top 10 in the country.

For comparison, UConn is at 44% opp attempts at the rim whether Sanogo is in or out (but they shoot worse at rim when Sanogo is out because Clingan is a monster). John's defense overall is significantly better when Soriano is off the court. Opponents shoot better from every level with him in the game (some of that is noise, but there's definitely no evidence he's a difference making defender).
Always good to hear another take, I do appreciate it, but at the end of the day when I watch him I do not remotely think great defensive player. He is just ok guarding his own guy (primary role) but the computers say he is good helping others (secondary role), which is great but doesn’t make him best in league. To me this combination makes him average to slightly above.

Reaction Score
I think it should've been Carter, but wouldn't have argued over Jackson or Mitchell. Kalkbrenner didn't seem as for defensively this year as last. His big thing was 2.5 blocks in conference play, but Carter had 1.4 as a guard.

Also, Carter, Jackson, and Mitchell all guarded multiple positions well, increasing their value.

Reaction Score
I think it should've been Carter, but wouldn't have argued over Jackson or Mitchell. Kalkbrenner didn't seem as for defensively this year as last. His big thing was 2.5 blocks in conference play, but Carter had 1.4 as a guard.

Also, Carter, Jackson, and Mitchell all guarded multiple positions well, increasing their value.
Carter is an absolute menace on defense and shut his man's offense down. Donny Marshall chose him as his DBEPOY. I wouldn't have complained if he got the award, however I think Kalkbrenner is a defender opposing teams have to scheme around. Creighton fouls the least of any team in the country I believe and a big reason for that is because the other defenders can play more aggressively and not come close to fouling if their man gets a step on them.

Reaction Score
Always good to hear another take, I do appreciate it, but at the end of the day when I watch him I do not remotely think great defensive player. He is just ok guarding his own guy (primary role) but the computers say he is good helping others (secondary role), which is great but doesn’t make him best in league. To me this combination makes him average to slightly above.
His impact is much better than average overall. You can say his man to man is average at best but he is out there to help when not away from the basket. While he blocks shots at a very good ratio versus his minutes, he changes just as many as well as changing minds of those who go to the basket.

Ultimately he's well above average and with work on his footwork, staying on the floor on ball fakes he will be an absolute menace moving forward.

Reaction Score
His impact is much better than average overall. You can say his man to man is average at best but he is out there to help when not away from the basket. While he blocks shots at a very good ratio versus his minutes, he changes just as many as well as changing minds of those who go to the basket.

Ultimately he's well above average and with work on his footwork, staying on the floor on ball fakes he will be an absolute menace moving forward.
Obviously no bias as a Friar fan, but I think the only advantage Kalkbrenner has on Clingan is experience. Clingan is much more disruptive, IMO.

Reaction Score
Obviously no bias as a Friar fan, but I think the only advantage Kalkbrenner has on Clingan is experience. Clingan is much more disruptive, IMO.
A lot of it is risk taking. Clingan goes for every block while Kalkbrenner plays straight up a lot. Less fouls for Kalk (literally 1/3 of his foul rate per 40). More activity for Clingan. The freedom of being the backup. Clingan will have to either tone it down or we'll need a really competent backup next year.

Reaction Score
A lot of it is risk taking. Clingan goes for every block while Kalkbrenner plays straight up a lot. Less fouls for Kalk (literally 1/3 of his foul rate per 40). More activity for Clingan. The freedom of being the backup. Clingan will have to either tone it down or we'll need a really competent backup next year.
As an aside, I'd have Clingan study Jake Stephens of Chattanooga on offense. That should be his upside goal.

Reaction Score
I agree with this
I also just do not understand how a guy like Kalk wins DPOY with his rebounding numbers. Like if you’re shutting down guys, I get it. But he seems to be a really good help defender who doesn’t make a ton of splash plays & also rebounds slightly below average for a guy his size

Reaction Score
I agree with this
I also just do not understand how a guy like Kalk wins DPOY with his rebounding numbers. Like if you’re shutting down guys, I get it. But he seems to be a really good help defender who doesn’t make a ton of splash plays & also rebounds slightly below average for a guy his size
Once again, we can dive into the on/off stats and eye test. Kaklbrenner boxes dudes out. Clears out for Scheierman or Kaluma or whomever to grab the board. Since he doesn't overextend gambling for blocks, he's usually in position to box. His team grabs substantially more defensive rebounds as a % when he's in the game vs. off. Compare that to Scheierman or Soriano, for example, and despite them having gaudy rebound numbers, their teams grab similar amounts of rebounds whether they are in the game or not. And the team numbers are much worse than Kalkbrenner's.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Teams get to the rim a lot less when Kalkbrenner is in the game. 36% of shots at rim with him in vs. 45% when he's out. Which leads to teams taking a lot more midrange 2s when he's in (34%) vs. out (25%). One of the big reasons their defense is top 10 in the country.

For comparison, UConn is at 44% opp attempts at the rim whether Sanogo is in or out (but they shoot worse at rim when Sanogo is out because Clingan is a monster). John's defense overall is significantly better when Soriano is off the court. Opponents shoot better from every level with him in the game (some of that is noise, but there's definitely no evidence he's a difference making defender).

You really missed the boat when you registered for this site and didnt pick "Pythagoras" as your username. Oh well, too late to screw with the mojo this year but in the offseason I will put you in touch with BigRed and he can change it for you so you can keep your likes and post counts.

Confused No Idea GIF by G2 Esports

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I “liked” this before realizing it meant Clingan was not unanimous. Let’s hope it provides just a little more motivation, although I’m sure none is needed. I’m so happy for both these guys, and for the program.

My guess is a voter or two believes only starters should get votes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom