Big East Awards Announced - Sanogo and Hawkins All Big East First Team (Merged Threads) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East Awards Announced - Sanogo and Hawkins All Big East First Team (Merged Threads)

Reaction Score
Shut out . . .
1678118544912.png

Reaction Score
That doesn't include POY or FOY.

Edit: they also weren't giving Hawkins Most Improved while also giving him 1st team selection.

Reaction Score
I’m a big Stevie Mitchell fan and feel like he should have got some consideration for DPOY, but there’s a lot of really good defenders in the BE. Kalk, Carter, AJax, Mitchell, etc

Hawkins has a strong case for most improved, but Soriano has been a monster this year. Not upset about that pick

Reaction Score
Can't really argue with any of that. I wish they did a BE all defensive team. My all BE defensive team would be:

Posh Alexander
Devin Carter
Colby Jones
Andre Jackson
Oso Iguadharo
Ryan Kalkbrenner

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Jackson is a great defender but he gambles a ton, sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn’t.

It was going to be hard to dethrone Kalkbrenner, but this is pure bulletin board material. PC also shut out of the awards too noticeably.

Reaction Score
That doesn't include POY or FOY.

Edit: they also weren't giving Hawkins Most Improved while also giving him 1st team selection.
Why not? That's how he got to be worthy of First Team.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree about kolek but why would he be a lock over Sanogo? Sanogo was the bE player of the year to start the season so usually it’s in his hands to lose - what has he done wrong to lose it? Kolek has been that amazing?

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree about kolek but why would he be a lock over Sanogo? Sanogo was the bE player of the year to start the season so usually it’s in his hands to lose - what has he done wrong to lose it? Kolek has been that amazing?
Yes, Kolek has

Reaction Score
Because Kolek's team easily won the conference and his #'s are much better than Sanogo's.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Sanogo (at best) finished 3rd. Hopkins ahead of him too.

Reaction Score
Kalkbrenner also got destroyed by Adama in BOTH of thier head to head matchups. Especially the first one
correct and Soriano didn't. Soriano outplayed Sanogo in the first matchup, but not by a lot and Sanogo outplayed Soriano in the 2nd matchup, but not by a lot.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't look at it from the perspective that Sanogo lost it because Sanogo so far has had a great season. I would look at it like Kolek took it with his great season and Marquette won the BE regular season title outright. If Sanogo won BE POY, I wouldn't agree with it, but it wouldn't be some big outrage either.

Alabama has the most valuable win of the season winning at Houston. In the same way, Marquette has the most valuable win in BE play by winning at Creighton.

Reaction Score
Kalkbrenner should not have won DPOY
Kalkbrenner DPOY, I just don’t get it. Watched several Creighton games this year and while he is a good player, we have 2 guys just on our team that are better defensively than he is, Sanogo and Ajax, not to mention guys from other teams like Soriano or Carter who I think are as tough as they come. Don’t think Kalk does anything special defensively, especially with his primary responsibility.

This led me to peek at some box scores for Kalk to get a better feel for his heads up play against some of the more notable players. By no means is this an exhaustive study but it does confirm what I suspected and what I saw with my own eyes and that is he is not a lock down defender against his primary guard heads up. Only points listed.

Soriano - 17 points, 15 Points
Ighodaro - 18 points
Sonogo - 26 points, 17 points
Wahab – 14 points (averages 10)
Nebraska Center – 22 points
My favorite – Dixon – 31 Points, 20 Points

Games he missed (Better?):
Ighodaro - 16 points (less than when Kalk played)
BYU Center – 5 points (Avg. 5)
Ari. State Center – 7 points (Avg. 9.3)

I am sure he had some good games like holding Nunge to 15 & 9 (averages 14), and he is good at help side D (Avg. 2.2 blocks), but do these numbers even remotely add up to DPOY? I think not, and didn’t think so last year either.

Reaction Score
Kalkbrenner DPOY, I just don’t get it. Watched several Creighton games this year and while he is a good player, we have 2 guys just on our team that are better defensively than he is, Sanogo and Ajax, not to mention guys from other teams like Soriano or Carter who I think are as tough as they come. Don’t think Kalk does anything special defensively, especially with his primary responsibility.

This led me to peek at some box scores for Kalk to get a better feel for his heads up play against some of the more notable players. By no means is this an exhaustive study but it does confirm what I suspected and what I saw with my own eyes and that is he is not a lock down defender against his primary guard heads up. Only points listed.

Ighodaro - 18 points

I am sure he had some good games like holding Nunge to 15 & 9 (averages 14), and he is good at help side D (Avg. 2.2 blocks), but do these numbers even remotely add up to DPOY? I think not, and didn’t think so last year either.
Teams get to the rim a lot less when Kalkbrenner is in the game. 36% of shots at rim with him in vs. 45% when he's out. Which leads to teams taking a lot more midrange 2s when he's in (34%) vs. out (25%). One of the big reasons their defense is top 10 in the country.

For comparison, UConn is at 44% opp attempts at the rim whether Sanogo is in or out (but they shoot worse at rim when Sanogo is out because Clingan is a monster). John's defense overall is significantly better when Soriano is off the court. Opponents shoot better from every level with him in the game (some of that is noise, but there's definitely no evidence he's a difference making defender).

Reaction Score

Ighodaro - 18 points

Yeah. I agree. I was shocked when I saw him get nominated. I mean two of Creighton‘s biggest games of the year he got dominated by our guy- that shud have cancelled him off the list immediately

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom