Big East Awards Announced - Sanogo and Hawkins All Big East First Team (Merged Threads) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Awards Announced - Sanogo and Hawkins All Big East First Team (Merged Threads)

Reaction Score
So happy for Jordan and Adama. Being selected all big east is well deserved for both players.

As a two time selection, Sanogo is in very elite company. This from the article linked:

Sanogo joins an elite group of UConn players who have been named First Team All-BIG EAST twice in their careers. He joins six others – Corny Thompson ('81,'82), Donyell Marshall ('93, '94), Ray Allen ('95. '96), Richard Hamilton ('98, '99), Emeka Okafor ('03, '04), and Shabazz Napier ('13 BIG EAST, '14 American Athletic).

I think a deep run in the tournament and some good games from Adama easily puts him in the Huskies Ring of Honor, joining everyone else on that list.
Jeez that is elite company. And to think we got him because we missed out on Kofi and Cliff O

Reaction Score
Well deserved honors all around. Adama was a rock wire to wire and Hawkins worked hard to mature and develop into an elite shooting guard. His fire and defense make his inclusion on the first team well justified.

Karaban has exceeded all expectations. He plays a mature, heady well rounded game and has a great stroke. I believe he should be Freshman of the Year, but someone could probably make an equally strong argument in favor of Cam Whitmore. Hard one to predict.

Clingan almost always fuels a run with his shot blocking, rebounding and scoring. I think we will see more great performances this season and next year the sky is the limit.

Reaction Score
So happy for Jordan and Adama. Being selected all big east is well deserved for both players.

As a two time selection, Sanogo is in very elite company. This from the article linked:

Sanogo joins an elite group of UConn players who have been named First Team All-BIG EAST twice in their careers. He joins six others – Corny Thompson ('81,'82), Donyell Marshall ('93, '94), Ray Allen ('95. '96), Richard Hamilton ('98, '99), Emeka Okafor ('03, '04), and Shabazz Napier ('13 BIG EAST, '14 American Athletic).

I think a deep run in the tournament and some good games from Adama easily puts him in the Huskies Ring of Honor, joining everyone else on that list.
cheers and here's hoping for that to occur

Reaction Score
BE Freshmen team

I wonder how Joel Soriano feels about this. I respect Kalkbrenner's game, but I feel like Soriano should be in his place on the 1st team. Soriano leads the nation in double doubles. I have not looked at the advanced analytics so maybe that tells a different story and I know Kalk is better defensively for sure.

Reaction Score
Six players on the first team is a pet peeve of mine. I suspect it is done to yield five after a POY is chosen, but in my view the POY should be selected from the top five vote getters, remaining on the first team.
Do you have peeves that aren’t pets as well?

Reaction Score
I wonder how Joel Soriano feels about this. I respect Kalkbrenner's game, but I feel like Soriano should be in his place on the 1st team. Soriano leads the nation in double doubles. I have not looked at the advanced analytics so maybe that tells a different story and I know Kalk is better defensively for sure.
Kalkbrenner leads the nation in FG% (min 100 attempts) and is probably the most impactful defender in the conference.

Reaction Score
Kalkbrenner leads the nation in FG% (min 100 attempts) and is probably the most impactful defender in the conference.
His defense is certainly better and probably what put him over the top but Soriano leads the nation, not just the BE, in double doubles over big names like Armando Bacot and Oscar Schiebwe and is a better offensive player with more moves and skill and is more effective away from the basket than Kalkbrenner. It’s close between the two it ain’t a landslide one way or the other.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jeez that is elite company. And to think we got him because we missed out on Kofi and Cliff O
Yes sir, as I was watching Rutgers' last two losses all I could think of was how important we thought Cliff was as a recruit . Turns out he may be like Doron Lamb to Jeremy Lamb. Good, but we got the better player in Adama Sanogo.
My wife thinks Cliff plays like he's more concerned with how good he looks in short shorts..............

Reaction Score
His defense is certainly better and probably what put him over the top but Soriano leads the nation, not just the BE, in double doubles over big names like Armando Bacot and Oscar Schiebwe and is a better offensive player with more moves and skill and is more effective away from the basket than Kalkbrenner. It’s close between the two it ain’t a landslide one way or the other.
Give me the guy that scores more effectively because he has an unstoppable play vs. the guy with "more moves" (even though he scores the same amount). I also don't value rebounding as highly as scoring efficiency or rim protection, so I find double doubles to be a fine but not that important stat. It's a good sign of consistency at least.

Reaction Score
Is there a sixth man of the year award? That would definitely be the BE referees in statistical tie.

Reaction Score

That really is some Elite company. Lots of Conference champions, tourney wins and titles among that group. Would love to see AS make a run in march. This team looks dangerous again.

Reaction Score
So Andre didn’t even get honorable mention? Not that he needs but this is more motivation for him. Remember in 1999 Kevin Freeman was dissed when the awards were announced. MVP in the tournament

Reaction Score

I guess Dan Hurley is pretty darn good at developing players huh? 2 years in a row with TWO 1st team all BE selections on the team. This is only the fourth time in program history 2 players on the same squad have made the ALL BE team. Dan Hurley was at the helm for 2 of 4.

So happy for this team, coaches and the state of our program! Can't wait to watch this team in March!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom