Big Bubble Night Discussion | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Big Bubble Night Discussion

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I know that Cooley and Williams are not the coaches of UConn and have no relevance to me saying UConn does not need to schedule more games because we're a tournament team. Dan Hurley looked at UConn's schedule for his decision, Ed Cooley and Roy Williams did not look at UConn's schedule, which is what we are discussing

word salad.

Either it is a good idea to play decent or better OOC games or it isn't. You think it isn't. They think it is. What do you know that they don't?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
word salad.

Either it is a good idea to play decent or better OOC games or it isn't. You think it isn't. They think it is. What do you know that they don't?
...except he's right, but you went off your meds again (does this happen regularly in March), so you can't grasp it, and you've gone into full strawman mode, again.

UNC needs padding games - it's entirely possible they lose their last 3, and they're actually playing better than they were early in the year. They now regret the decision (and if anything, this vidicates not playing!)

PC needs wins, period. Even winning out doesn't do enough for them - winning out 4 would at least help.

We're maybe 50/50 in the "needs wins" camp, but our with/without bouknight case is much stronger, anyway.
HOWEVER - we're also a friggin mash unit, at the moment. The only reason we would schedule a game is if we need more reps for the injured guys. Akok wouldn't benefit here. Bouknight maybe would, but that's a stretch.

This is a per-team, per-game circumstance. it isn't the binary choice you make it out to be.

Reaction Score
Whatever. Hurley is not playing any games outside the remaining schedule, and I am tired of arguing hypotheticals.

One question though. Which of the 4 championship teams, plus the 2009 Final Four team, plus the 5 that made it as far as the Elite 8, plus the 3 other Sweet 16 teams, ran from challenges during the regular season?

Are we UConn or are we URI? I know which one you think we are.
We don't need to schedule more games to make the tourney. What's your problem?

Reaction Score
I
As much as it pains me to say, you guys are missing Nelson’s point.
I thought his initial point was adding ooc games to improve NCAA seed. Playing a tier 3 ooc game doesn't help with anything at this point. If a tier 1 ooc team wants to come to Storrs before BET bring them on otherwise it's a waste of time and energy.

It's not happening anyway so I don't see the point in debating it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Houston is playing Western Kentucky tonight.

It is amazing how many Boneyard posters know more about scheduling than high level D1 coaches.

Reaction Score

It is amazing how many Boneyard posters know more about scheduling than high level D1 coaches.
Case closed, you win ?

Any Bubble games tonight anyone?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Houston plays in the AAC and doesn't have a BE tournament on a Seton Hall left on their schedule

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Houston plays in the AAC and doesn't have a BE tournament on a Seton Hall left on their schedule

We are going all-in on Seton Hall? They have a 51 NET, 62 RPI, and 2 losable games left.

Reaction Score
The arguments against scheduling another game:
1.) we could play ourselves out of a bubble slot
2.) by traveling or playing the extra game we could get COVID / quarantined again and miss some or all of our remaining games

The arguments for scheduling another game:
1.) another game to play ourselves into the bubble (particularly if we lose at home to Marquette / Gtown)
2.) an opportunity to knock a bubble team off the bubble thereby increasing the likelihood that we dance
3.) another opportunity to polish up our game prior to the tourney (most of the teams we will face will have had more opportunities to gel)
4.) by playing another game we could mitigate the risk that we lose some or all of our remaining games due to COVID / quarantine

Reaction Score
We are going all-in on Seton Hall? They have a 51 NET, 62 RPI, and 2 losable games left.
Would you mind starting a "schedule ooc game before BET" thread.

This thread was supposed to be about the nightly Bubble games to keep an eye on. I know your topic is related but it's really taking this another direction. Thank you

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The arguments against scheduling another game:
1.) we could play ourselves out of a bubble slot
2.) by traveling or playing the extra game we could get COVID / quarantined again and miss some or all of our remaining games

The arguments for scheduling another game:
1.) another game to play ourselves into the bubble (particularly if we lose at home to Marquette / Gtown)
2.) an opportunity to knock a bubble team off the bubble thereby increasing the likelihood that we dance
3.) another opportunity to polish up our game prior to the tourney (most of the teams we will face will have had more opportunities to gel)
4.) by playing another game we could mitigate the risk that we lose some or all of our remaining games due to COVID / quarantine

UConn, one of the most successful programs in college basketball history, has only made it to the second weekend when it was lower than a 3 seed THREE times:

1991 - UConn was an 11 seed, went to Sweet 16
2003 - UConn was a 5 seed, went to Sweet 16
2014 - UConn was a 7 seed, won National Championship.

Beating a few mediocre teams and losing in the Big East semis will get UConn an 8 or 9 seed. That means a second round exit. If UConn wants to give itself as good a chance of success as possible, it should figure out a way to get itself a better seed that does not involve a win over Villanova.

I think this team is good enough for a second weekend run if it gets the right draw. But maybe UConn fans are happy with just making the tournament now.

Reaction Score
UConn, one of the most successful programs in college basketball history, has only made it to the second weekend when it was lower than a 3 seed THREE times:

Beating a few mediocre teams and losing in the Big East semis will get UConn an 8 or 9 seed. That means a second round exit. If UConn wants to give itself as good a chance of success as possible, it should figure out a way to get itself a better seed that does not involve a win over Villanova.

I think this team is good enough for a second weekend run if it gets the right draw. But maybe UConn fans are happy with just making the tournament now.
We'd rather be a 10/11 than an 8/9 seed.

Reaction Score
Bubble or related games to keep an eye on tonight...
  • Oh St @ Mich St - want Mich St to lose, win puts them closer to in
  • OR @ Stanford - loss hurts Stanford big time but neither a lock
  • USC @ Colorado - want USC to keep winning
  • Boise @ SD St - place twice in next few days, if they split both stay in but lose both and one could be out

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bubble or related games to keep an eye on tonight...
  • Oh St @ Mich St - want Mich St to lose, win puts them closer to in
  • OR @ Stanford - loss hurts Stanford big time but neither a lock
  • USC @ Colorado - want USC to keep winning
  • Boise @ SD St - place twice in next few days, if they split both stay in but lose both and one could be out
Also would add Northwestern @ Minnesota. A loss for Minnesota and they are done.

Reaction Score
Also would add Northwestern @ Minnesota. A loss for Minnesota and they are done.
Gabe Kalscheur is out and Liam Robbins is playing with a severely sprained ankle (if he plays at all). I obviously don't want these guys hurt, but this definitely helps Northwestern's odds.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Hey genius, what if the coaches think an extra game, with all of the obvious negatives, also increases our chance of getting to the 8/9 line? Will you stop your stupid strawman act, then?
mind blow wow GIF

Reaction Score
If we play the 89 game, then will probably be in a bracket with the lowest 1 seed.

who would that be ?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hey genius, what if the coaches think an extra game, with all of the obvious negatives, also increases our chance of getting to the 8/9 line? Will you stop your stupid strawman act, then?
mind blow wow GIF

You think fewer games are better. I heard you the first time. Why do teams ever play non-conference games?

Reaction Score
We need to win the next three. If we do that who cares about the other garbage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom