Big 12 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I always enjoy the discussions on this board but I have no idea how this is even a discussion. You go to Big 12 in a heartbeat. It’s an upgrade in all sports. The only thing close is men’s hoops and it’s still an upgrade. Then you win. If you win the fans will come. For any team. People who pine for the big east forget we are the outlier in a private, catholic school league. They will use us as long as they can. We are not like them and we should aspire for bigger things as a large state school. Then there is the financial aspect which will fuel those aspirations.
Sadly many of UConn’s loudest twitter voices have given the thumbs down in public over the last couple days.

I would like to see us first get the offer, then debate if we should accept. Getting the offer might cause another conf to act.

Ultimately if we do turn down the offer, I can accept it better if that decision was made with a sober view by this administration and not by our own fan base who does not have all the facts.

Our fan base has not considered how we can pay Hurleys next contract. Our fanbase has not considered the likelihood the next BE contract will have less (not the same or more) linear tv exposure. Our fanbase has not considered what the portal and NiL might do to our BE competitors in the years ahead fielding good teams.

I’ll accept the administrations decision - but let’s get the offer and let’s make it based on calculus rather than emotion. If we reject the offer I will assume it’s because we see another opportunity ahead or because AD David Benedict has confidence Hartford will allow us to continue to run deeply in the red so we can enjoy DePaul BB.

PS- I want to be able to afford Hurleys extension.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Agreed, there's so much $ in the Big 12 because of Texas/Oklahoma. Substitute those two team for UConn/Gonzaga? Yeah networks won't be chomping at the bit...
Just to reiterate: the network signed a new TV deal with the Big 12 after the Texas Oklahoma stuff went down that will give each school a bigger payout than currently.

Reaction Score
Sadly many of UConn’s loudest twitter voices have given the thumbs down in public over the last couple days.

I would like to see us first get the offer, then debate if we should accept. Getting the offer might cause another conf to act.

Ultimately if we do turn down the offer, I can accept it better if that decision was made with a sober view by this administration and not by our own fan base who does not have all the facts.

Our fan base has not considered how we can pay Hurleys next contract. Our fanbase has not considered the likelihood the next BE contract will have less (not the same or more) linear tv exposure. Our fanbase has not considered what the portal and NiL might do to our BE competitors in the years ahead fielding good teams.

I’ll accept the administrations decision - but let’s get the offer and let’s make it based on calculus rather than emotion. If we reject the offer I will assume it’s because we see another opportunity ahead or because AD David Benedict has confidence Hartford will allow us to continue to run deeply in the red so we can enjoy DePaul BB.

This is spot on, and speaks loudly to how small minded the loud UConn twitter contingent is on this matter. The Big East is great. It is going to be really expensive to retain and extend Hurley. A replacement for Geno that will keep that program nationally relevant is not going to be inexpensive. One tweet from Chris Murphy and people think the AD deficit can keep rising forever. We would become the 1st school ever to turn down a P5 invite, that is not the flex people think it is.

Reaction Score
I think the B12 will be the third power conference
Well, the pac12 and acc are being, or soon to be, gutted. B1G has moves to make, and they want something southeast, so UNC, UVA. And ND. Best guess for 4th is Oergon (Nike money).

Reaction Score
If we get in the big 12… we expand our geographical boundaries for recruiting… might get a couple Texas kids in hooping and football.

Reaction Score
Well, the pac12 and acc are being, or soon to be, gutted. B1G has moves to make, and they want something southeast, so UNC, UVA. And ND. Best guess for 4th is Oergon (Nike money).
Doubtful they would take Oregon over UW in any scenario. UW is a research powerhouse, and dwarfs Oregon and their Nike money.

Reaction Score
Despite the nostalgia for Big East Hoops many of us who were there as the program developed realize the econimic realities that make a move to the Big 12 not our first choice, but still a no brainer. The basketball competition would still be excellent, as would the promotion of Hoops, Football, and Baseball. Most other sports would not have to make a move from where they are now unless it makes sense from a competitive and travel standpoint. This isn't as simple as turning down a small promotion because the commute is 30 minutes longer.

Reaction Score
Ultimately I think its a move too soon that pins in UConn in a place it doesn't want to be long term. I know Mora may not be happy but man I don't think I like being pinned into a mid-west conference without other options. I don't like sitting out but I get the feeling more and more the ACC knife fight will play out for real with people making decisions that will eventually backfire. Way too much noise about chaffing within the ACC. I have to think somebody does something stupid and explodes the ACC
That was exactly my position. I still think the winning move is not to play at this time. But I am warming to the idea, albeit slowly.

Reaction Score
I think 90% might be high, but certainly a significant portion is due to accounting for the value of scholarships, which are inflated. Essentially we are being charged MSRP for a car that most people would get for $.50 on the dollar and one that many of our kids would get for little to no cost anyway.

The XL Center issue is a little more interesting in that it is "bookkeeping" when you look at it from the global perspective that it is money being paid by the state of Connecticut to the state of Connecticut, but, for us it's a real number since we actually pay those excessive lease rates to the CDRA so that it can "only" show losses of a few million dollars rather than its actual loss figures.
Exactly on the scholarships. They should be using marginal cost since it is being booked as an expense. Likewise the Rent and XL. The CDRA should not be marking up what they provide to the price they charge private customers. State entity to state entity.

Reaction Score

Not much consideration being done as to what the future BE might be like. Potentially frightening, great point. B12 here we come

Reaction Score
Waiting for 2036 might put us in a place that is far, far too late for action. I would prefer the ACC all else being equal, but if the offer comes, I'm in - the rest can be sorted out in the next round coming in 2036.
I'm thinking that you might seeing the ACC beaking apart. I mean if those 7 schools sue to get out of the GOR, I'd rather be safe in the B12, than being an independent. You might see - when the ACC - Pitt, Cuse and BC asking to go to the B12. Then we can screw them...:)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Exactly on the scholarships. They should be using marginal cost since it is being booked as an expense. Likewise the Rent and XL. The CDRA should not be marking up what they provide to the price they charge private customers. State entity to state entity.
Not should they be charging a premium for UConn too pay there, but they are.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I’ll accept the administrations decision - but let’s get the offer and let’s make it based on calculus rather than emotion.
Don't you think that's what they will do? They aren't going to make a decision based on what a bunch of yahoos think on a message board.

There is a reason Benedict made public comments that it isn't all about money...it's about success. It can be a negotiating tactic...it could be posturing to evaluate public opinion. Who knows....but I am pretty confident it won't be based on "emotions". And I am pretty surprised so many fans on here are all about taking an offer based on money when the AD says that it isn't all about money.

It sounds to me like Benedict wanted to negotiate from a position of strength. No matter what I or other UConn fans believe...I trust that Benedict gets it...and will make the right call.

Reaction Score
It's ok to have different opinions without being a nitwit.... right?

P5 is about to be P2. If you aren't in the SEC or B1G...you won't be in a power conference. Might as well be in a conference that makes sense.
It will be P3/P4 for a long time. There are too many Midwest and southwest teams with political representation that will make a cartel of 2 conferences a huge antitrust problem. Moreover, $360M over ten years vs 70M is a self answering riddle.

Reaction Score
I would not spend 10 seconds thinking this may leverage the ACC into making an offer. They've had a decade plus of screwing UConn around. How many times have we heard from UConn and BC fans like DiMauro say UConn brings no value to the ACC? If something materializes with the Big 12 take it.

Reaction Score
If we get in the big 12… we expand our geographical boundaries for recruiting… might get a couple Texas kids in hooping and football.
True especially for football. The state of Texas is very familiar with UConn Basketball. Jake. Emeka. Multiple championships won in the state. UConn should just open a satellite branch in Texas already

Reaction Score
I would not spend 10 seconds thinking this may leverage the ACC into making an offer. They've had a decade plus of screwing UConn around. How many times have we heard from UConn and BC fans like DiMauro say UConn brings no value to the ACC? If something materializes with the Big 12 take it.
Fans aren't making the decision, thankfully.

Reaction Score
Agree. The ACC, for whatever reason, has always underestimated UConn’s value & upside potential. The Big 12 is the superior conference anyway. Better in basketball and football, and unlike the ACC, has a forward vision & is on the rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom