Big 12 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I would not spend 10 seconds thinking this may leverage the ACC into making an offer. They've had a decade plus of screwing UConn around. How many times have we heard from UConn and BC fans like DiMauro say UConn brings no value to the ACC? If something materializes with the Big 12 take it.
So...don't explore the ACC option because DiMauro hurts your feelings?

I would assume that whoever is making the decision will do it based on logic. And I will trust they have a good sense of how the landscape is changing and where UConn fits best.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I would assume that whoever is making the decision will do it based on logic. And I will trust they have a good sense of how the landscape is changing and where UConn fits best.
The reasons I would prefer the B-12 to the ACC at the moment are a a few years down the road there will be more revenue from the B-12 (pretty similar at the moment) and b the GOR ends more than a half decade earlier, we can at that point look into the ACC (or ideally the B1G).

Reaction Score
The reasons I would prefer the B-12 to the ACC at the moment are a a few years down the road there will be more revenue from the B-12 (pretty similar at the moment) and b the GOR ends more than a half decade earlier, we can at that point look into the ACC (or ideally the B1G).

especially with the ACC discussing uneven revenue distribution. I haven't heard such talk from the B12. If we were to join the B12 we might find ourselves with more TV revenue than Pitt, BC or Cuse which would be glorious.

Reaction Score
Well, I am getting closer to a yes if the share treatment is similar to recent practice. Of course, what we think here matters exactly zero. But the more I think about it the more I think Matt Ritter will just call UConn and say, folks, I have done all I can for you. Take it. And that will be that. UConn won't have a choice.

Reaction Score

Lol. They've put UConn on hold for 10 plus years. Don't you get it? They haven't wanted us. Now there is internal strife within the conference over money. Some schools believing they are worth more than others. What good reason do you see walking into that situation? Bus rides to BC?

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is not a good fit geographically or culturally but is much better financially and offers much greater exposure for the university.

Reaction Score
The UConn market will embrace Big 12 football. I'm not crazy about the BB but I think we'll be good there, too.
I'd be interested to know why you and others think this is so. Mostly, I've stayed out of these discussions as I have no firm opinion as yet. Right now, I am on the fence. As I said in my only other post on the subject, conference realignment is a conundrum for me:

Pros - More money to fund the athletic dept.;​
Cons - Pretty much everything else.​

I think there is so (too?) much discussion on the money part of the equation and not enough about the product and fan experience. I guess my question is, money aside, will the fanbase see the B12 (as another poster referred to it) as the AAC+? We would have no real rivalries which might result in decreased fan interest, lower ticket sales, smaller crowds, lower viewership.

In the end, college sports is entertainment. I don't think any of us wants to be Syracuse all over again -- stuck in a conference where you don't care much about your opponents and they don't care about you. We'll be better funded, but if there is little fan interest, what's the point?

I'm glad I don't have to make this decision! The facts are few, the future is murky and everything is happening faster than I dreamed it could. We're all for getting more money, but do you think this is the right move? (Wow! Longer post than I thought it would be.)

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I'd be interested to know why you and others think this is so. Mostly, I've stayed out of these discussions as I have no firm opinion as yet. Right now, I am on the fence. As I said in my only other post on the subject, conference realignment is a conundrum for me:

I think there is so (too?) much discussion on the money part of the equation and not enough about the product and fan experience. I guess my question is, money aside, will the fanbase see the B12 (as another poster referred to it) as the AAC+? We would have no real rivalries which might result in decreased fan interest, lower ticket sales, smaller crowds, lower viewership.

In the end, college sports is entertainment. I don't think any of us wants to be Syracuse all over again -- stuck in a conference where you don't care much about your opponents and they don't care about you. We'll be better funded, but if there is little fan interest, what's the point?

I'm glad I don't have to make this decision! The facts are few, the future is murky and everything is happening faster than I dreamed it could. We're all for getting more money, but do you think this is the right move? (Wow! Longer post than I thought it would be.)
You are over-thinking it. There aren’t many cons. Do you want to get closer to the inside and join a real football league, or dink around with DePaul, Butler, Providence, etc.? There is no scenario where we are better off on 10 years by sitting in a catholic league, with no TV revenue and an ad box football schedule without access to the playoffs.

Reaction Score

Question: What happened when Michigan came to East Hartford? They are not a warm and cuddly local team that we can all feel good about…You really don’t think people will get pumped up for Big 12 football??

Your Pros/Cons list is reversed:

Pros: Pretty much everything.

Maybe Con: Mens basketball has (obviously) made a huge resurrection coming back to the Big East. Even though we would be going to the best basketball conference in the NCAA, would going to the Big 12 hurt basketball?

I would love to get Mr. Hurley’s take on that question. And I’m sure he will be consulted if an invite happens.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
To those worrying about attendance: if UConn is good in football and basketball, the teams draw. When we aren't good, attendance dwindles. Women's basketball draws for the big games, not the league games and is different.

Reaction Score

There would be a substantial uptick in football recruiting, especially with Mora who can sell ice cubes to Eskimos.
The quality of our football home schedules would greatly improve so ticket sales would go way up.

It would be a HUGE win for football, you are completely out of touch if you believe otherwise.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Kansas, Baylor, ISU, WVU, Houston, Cincy, BYU, KST, TCU. … you’ve got be kidding. That’s a killer conference.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Again...if the ACC option is not available until 2036, then you take the Big 22 option if it's there.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Lol. They've put UConn on hold for 10 plus years. Don't you get it? They haven't wanted us. Now there is internal strife within the conference over money. Some schools believing they are worth more than others. What good reason do you see walking into that situation? Bus rides to BC?
The leadership in the universities...and the conferences...have turned over in the last 10 years. What people thought 10 years ago won't matter in this decision.

I am not saying ACC or bust...but I would definitely pursue thwt option first.

Reaction Score
The leadership in the universities...and the conferences...have turned over in the last 10 years. What people thought 10 years ago won't matter in this decision.

I am not saying ACC or bust...but I would definitely pursue thwt option first.
This is somewhat fair, but first BC wanted to be the new england team, then the ACC feared Pitt being scooped up by the Big 12, then Clemson and FSU preferred Louisville as a football power. That conference has done nothing but dropped deuces on UConn every chance they have gotten.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's stinks that the perfect solution doesn't exist for UConn. Except for going to the Big 12 for FB only. Hey, it has a better chance than the Whale coming back.

Reaction Score
As someone said above Big 12 checks the box for better for everything minus travel which I have always argued is overrated in this day and age. Think baseball too. They could turn into a national power in that conference. Women’s hoops would benefit a ton. People will come to football against the teams in Big 12. Anyone wanting to stay put are not thinking big picture. Go and dominate Big 12 and good things will happen. And we will never be BC or Syracuse because we plan to go and win games.

Reaction Score

I think the ACC is going to break apart. Me, I'll take B12 over the ACC now. West Virginia, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF were teams we did play and us playing OK State, Kansas and Iowa State in football would be fun. I think it is a win win... BYU in Football every year...nice.

Only drawback I see is no close rivalry game, but we can still play UMass...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom