Big 12 | The Boneyard

Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Everyone around here seems interested except the football fan base, which has the most to gain. What gives?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yeah... conference alignment talk never seems to end well for UConn football.

It's also hard to get excited to play in basically the AAC+. I know it's significantly better financially...and I am sure cobbling an independent schedule together has to be daunting...and may get even harder.

As a football fan it just doesn't excite me. Even a watered down ACC would be better.

Reaction Score
It's also hard to get excited to play in basically the AAC+.

Then you must be on life support with our current, random G5 laden home schedules. Our home schedule would improve dramatically in the B12 and our attendance would likely return to a plus 30k average.

Imagine what recruiting would be like with Mora in the B12. We'd be able to recruit Texas like never before.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Then you must be on life support with our current random G5 laden home schedules. Our home schedule would improve dramatically in the B12 and our attendance would likely return to a plus 30k average.

Imagine what recruiting could be like with Mora in the B12.
I don't agree. I would rather play random schools like Utah St and Fresno St mixed in with ACC schools than play UCF...Texas Tech and Kansas St etc, year after year.

I like the randomness of the Indy schedule. And if they are going to play a fixed conference schedule...I would rather it be BC, Syracuse, Pitt etc. Not Texas leftovers.

Reaction Score
I don't agree. I would rather play random schools like Utah St and Fresno St mixed in with ACC schools than play UCF...Texas Tech and Kansas St etc, year after year.

I like the randomness of the Indy schedule. And if they are going to play a fixed conference schedule...I would rather it be BC, Syracuse, Pitt etc. Not Texas leftovers.
Do you also like running a $40M yearly deficit?

Reaction Score
Ultimately I think its a move too soon that pins in UConn in a place it doesn't want to be long term. I know Mora may not be happy but man I don't think I like being pinned into a mid-west conference without other options. I don't like sitting out but I get the feeling more and more the ACC knife fight will play out for real with people making decisions that will eventually backfire. Way too much noise about chaffing within the ACC. I have to think somebody does something stupid and explodes the ACC

Reaction Score

You do realize that B12 teams play out of conference games don't you?

You independence sycophants are nuts. The upcoming home schedules mostly stink as does having to play body bag games so we can pay our coaches.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
You do realize that B12 teams play out of conference games don't you?

You independence sycophants are nuts. The upcoming home schedules mostly stink as does having to play body bag games so we can pay our coaches.
Would you rather play in a watered down ACC (without some of the unhappy 7)...or the Big 12? If you sign up to play UCF every year, you lose the chance to be in a conference with BC, Pitt and Cuse.

Indy schedule is fine for football...BE hoops is strong...wait for a better option.

Reaction Score
agree with Shaky (sort of).... Uconn took a big step in determining it's future by pulling out of a bad situation (AAC) and putting itself in place where the entire AD could thrive.
I was against the move initially, but you can't deny the plan has worked. Uconn BB picked up another NC, the FB program has a new coach and seems to be showing a pulse. If anything, Uconn is in a better position now than it was 3-4 years ago...

But, I will also add that uconn's AAC experience was timed perfectly with a down BB program and a very weak FB program (both of which were further harmed by Uconn's seemingly unwillingness to make the right hire's and investments)...

I think Uconn is in a position to make a decision rather than just accept an offer because it's the Big12... Maybe ACC or someone else could become interested as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
90% of that figure is bookkeeping hokum. It isn’t real.
I think 90% might be high, but certainly a significant portion is due to accounting for the value of scholarships, which are inflated. Essentially we are being charged MSRP for a car that most people would get for $.50 on the dollar and one that many of our kids would get for little to no cost anyway.

The XL Center issue is a little more interesting in that it is "bookkeeping" when you look at it from the global perspective that it is money being paid by the state of Connecticut to the state of Connecticut, but, for us it's a real number since we actually pay those excessive lease rates to the CDRA so that it can "only" show losses of a few million dollars rather than its actual loss figures.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Right, who wouldn't want to host Sacred Heart in a meaningless exhibition in November when you could have an Oklahoma State or TCU in town.

Reaction Score
People fawning over independence or even ACC leftovers are spilling over to this board from the other sports. The former AAC was a MUCH better place for football and the Big 12 trumps that. The problem was not that nobody got excited about playing teams like Memphis or Tulane. The problem was that we were horrible and got shellacked by those teams.

Look at Tulane in 2022 with a conference championship and a win in a NY6 bowl over USC. You don't think if we had a year like Tulane did the Rent would be excited and packed???

Teams in conferences have 3-4 out of conference games. There is your BC/Syracuse, etc. games.

And it's not like our current schedule is all locals. Now replace Utah St with BYU. Georgia State with West Virginia. Rice with TCU, FIU with Kansas State. etc. I mean, c'mon...it is not even close.

ETA: Oh yeah...and there is $$

Reaction Score
I think 90% might be high, but certainly a significant portion is due to accounting for the value of scholarships, which are inflated. Essentially we are being charged MSRP for a car that most people would get for $.50 on the dollar and one that many of our kids would get for little to no cost anyway.

The XL Center issue is a little more interesting in that it is "bookkeeping" when you look at it from the global perspective that it is money being paid by the state of Connecticut to the state of Connecticut, but, for us it's a real number since we actually pay those excessive lease rates to the CDRA so that it can "only" show losses of a few million dollars rather than its actual loss figures.

Plus counting student fees as athletic department revenue is BS. It's more like a forced donation to the AD, not revenue.

Revenue being defined as income derived from the course of normal business operations. Student fees are not AD revenue.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Money isn't real, it's just bookkeeping. Got it. Only in the Boneyard. You might change your mind if your next pay check had a 75% bookkeeping error decrease.

It’s a paper loss. It isn’t an actual loss. They aren’t padlocking The Rent or Gampel. They aren’t taking away goalposts.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

And when is a good time PR-wise to drive up the fake deficit? When you’re negotiating a new lease for the Rent and the XL Center as well as seeing what sort of renovation money both get. Maximum leverage.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And when is a good time PR-wise to drive up the fake deficit? When you’re negotiating a new lease for the Rent and the XL Center as well as seeing what sort of renovation money both get. Maximum leverage.
Benedict has been vocal about it lately, hasn't he? The legislature is serious about promoting games in Hartford, let Connecticut use the XL without charge, or at least at a fixed price equal to whatever the cost is to open up Gampel. We still won't get parking in concession revenues but at least we won't be paying 90,000 for the privilege of not getting parking and concession revenues.

Reaction Score
Anybody suggesting anything but moving to a power conference is a knit wit with no understanding college sports or economics. The few troglodytes pushing this nonsense intentionally came here instead of the CR board to pollute it. This should be Mod moved to the proper place.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Right, who wouldn't want to host Sacred Heart in a meaningless exhibition in November when you could have an Oklahoma State or TCU in town.
They will still play Sacred Heart.

I still don't get excited by playing a big 12 schedule. Is it better than the indie schedule? Probably. But is it worth commiting to a league that isn't a good fit? I don't think so. And would you be surprised if Ok St and TCU left for the Pac 12? I wouldn't. Then you are stuck in a conference with Houston, UCF and Texas Tech.

I am good with the current situation which gives UConn a chance to find a more logical home. There will be more realignment messiness...unless the situation is very good (B1G or ACC)...I think it makes sense to wait it out.

But....I wouldn't hate going to the Big 12...I am just saying i don't think they should jump too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom