Big 12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Anybody suggesting anything but moving to a power conference is a knit wit with no understanding college sports or economics. The few troglodytes pushing this nonsense intentionally came here instead of the CR board to pollute it. This should be Mod moved to the proper place.
It's ok to have different opinions without being a nitwit.... right?

P5 is about to be P2. If you aren't in the SEC or B1G...you won't be in a power conference. Might as well be in a conference that makes sense.

Reaction Score
And when is a good time PR-wise to drive up the fake deficit? When you’re negotiating a new lease for the Rent and the XL Center as well as seeing what sort of renovation money both get. Maximum leverage.
So where in your computation does NIL money come from? We won't be competitive at a high level without it.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The best move for football is into one of the P5 conferences. There’s really no negative. There’s just not much to say here unless we’re actually close to a conference move. Then we can talk about best bowl venues, best road trips, hopes for a rival etc.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
90% of that figure is bookkeeping hokum. It isn’t real.
Perhaps it is. What would not be hokum however would be the additional revenue we would receive from the new conference (which on the surface appears to be $30-$35 million annually).

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
And when is a good time PR-wise to drive up the fake deficit? When you’re negotiating a new lease for the Rent and the XL Center as well as seeing what sort of renovation money both get. Maximum leverage.
Benedict has been vocal about it lately, hasn't he? The legislature is serious about promoting games in Hartford, let Connecticut use the XL without charge, or at least at a fixed price equal to whatever the cost is to open up Gampel. We still won't get parking in concession revenues but at least we won't be paying 90,000 for the privilege of not getting parking and concession revenues.

I read on the hoops board for months we were "losing money" by playing in Harford. Then it became we make less money in Hartford than Gampel... and now it's actually all fake?

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
They will still play Sacred Heart.

I still don't get excited by playing a big 12 schedule. Is it better than the indie schedule? Probably. But is it worth commiting to a league that isn't a good fit? I don't think so. And would you be surprised if Ok St and TCU left for the Pac 12? I wouldn't. Then you are stuck in a conference with Houston, UCF and Texas Tech.
Nobody is leaving a P5 for the Pac 12. I'm not saying it's likely, but "UConn is in the Big 12 with Arizona and Colorado" is much, much more likely than "UConn gets left behind in the Big 12 due to Pac 12 poaching"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I read on the hoops board for months we were "losing money" by playing in Harford. Then it became we make less money in Hartford than Gampel... and now it's actually all fake?
It depends on the total numbers in attendance. I did a quick and dirty computation (which I've posted a few times already-feel free to do a search if you're curious) and unless we are at full attendance at the XL, we make more money playing games at Gampel. It costs us approximately $90,000 to play to a packed house at XL and we do not get a share of concessions or parking revenue.

I hope that that helped.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Perhaps it is. What would not be hokum however would be the additional revenue we would receive from the new conference (which on the surface appears to be $30-$35 million annually).

A significant amount of which immediately goes out the window for increased travel and staffing. Plus you WILL have lower engagement from the fanbase.

UConn just rebuilt almost every athletic facility. What’s the money going to be used for?

A Gampel renovation? They need that now anyway! They don’t need the Big 12 to have to do that.

What’s the money being used for?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A significant amount of which immediately goes out the window for increased travel and staffing. Plus you WILL have lower engagement from the fanbase.

UConn just rebuilt almost every athletic facility. What’s the money going to be used for?

A Gampel renovation? They need that now anyway! They don’t need the Big 12 to have to do that.

Please ballpark the increased costs in travel and identify what staffing needs would arise as a B-12 member that would not be necessary in the BE.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

The amount of folks on here wondering out loud what to do with more money, and using the lack of their own creativity to make a point, is astounding.

You. Take. The. Money. Everytime. Put it in the endowment if we are out of ideas.

And your point on Gampel is...what? We need to spend money, so why bother getting money from someone else to do it?

Reaction Score
Would you rather play in a watered down ACC (without some of the unhappy 7)...or the Big 12? If you sign up to play UCF every year, you lose the chance to be in a conference with BC, Pitt and Cuse.

Indy schedule is fine for football...BE hoops is strong...wait for a better option.

You don't technically lose the chance. Get out of the B12 as quickly as they'd be getting out of the Big East -- and who knows where things will stand when that breaks apart and opens everything up

Reaction Score
agree with Shaky (sort of).... Uconn took a big step in determining it's future by pulling out of a bad situation (AAC) and putting itself in place where the entire AD could thrive.
I was against the move initially, but you can't deny the plan has worked. Uconn BB picked up another NC, the FB program has a new coach and seems to be showing a pulse. If anything, Uconn is in a better position now than it was 3-4 years ago...

But, I will also add that uconn's AAC experience was timed perfectly with a down BB program and a very weak FB program (both of which were further harmed by Uconn's seemingly unwillingness to make the right hire's and investments)...

I think Uconn is in a position to make a decision rather than just accept an offer because it's the Big12... Maybe ACC or someone else could become interested as well.
The entire athletic department is not going to thrive in the current environment. Basketball ( really only mens basketball) had a great great season. Baseball is playing a little league conference schedule that likely cost it a chance to host and sooner or later will cost it a bid! Football independence is not a long term solution.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It depends on the total numbers in attendance. I did a quick and dirty computation (which I've posted a few times already-feel free to do a search if you're curious) and unless we are at full attendance at the XL, we make more money playing games at Gampel. It costs us approximately $90,000 to play to a packed house at XL and we do not get a share of concessions or parking revenue.

I hope that that helped.

Yeah and if memory serves I don't think your number included seat license $ associated with season tickets of which the civic center has more of (believe around +3k...7k XL vs GP 4k).

Point being the story was framed as a XL money loser for UConn.. which I really don't think is the case. It may cost more to play it Hartford but that doesn't preclude it from being a) loss or b) better financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom